Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

The Grand Theft Auto V Trailer: What Did You Think?

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#551  Edited By WarlordPayne

After GTAIV I'm not going anywhere near this thing, no matter how good the trailer is.

As for the money connections in the logo, it looks like it may be about bank robbers.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#552  Edited By Seppli

@Cincaid said:

@Seppli said:

@Cincaid said:

@Seppli said:

Release in late Spring 2012. That's how Rockstar rolls.

I want to believe that as well, but releasing it so close to Max Payne 3 is not likely. My guess? Winter 2012 / Spring 2013.

I'm taking GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption as a precedent. They pretty much went from announcement directly into release within just a couple of months. Both those games were announced around this time and released in spring.

Well, the first trailer for GTAIV was released in March 2007, and the game wasn't released until April 2008. The first trailer of RDR was released in February 2009, and the game wasn't released until May 2010...

You mistake facts for memories. I remember clearly - these games were announced, I blinked once or twice, then I played them for myself.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#553  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jerome85 said:

Bunch of whiners on this site now a days.

This site revolves around seven of the most cynical video game journalists you can find on the internet. We're here because we share their cynicism, which, when focused like it is here, leads to ultimate negativity and bitching. Myself included. 

@phrosnite said:

Just chill out, bro. Or noone is allowed to post even vaguely negative posts any more?

No, it's that you get special attention when you do it because 2400 of your 1659 posts are about how a game is dull, a sell out or how a franchise is in a rut. Yes, you broke math with your complaint spamming.
    smokepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554  Edited By smokepants

I 100%-ed GTA IV and now the thought of starting over in another GTA game makes me want to vomit, then shit all over myself, then vomit again from the smell of the shit. It was like getting put off cigarettes after you Dad catches you and makes you smoke a whole carton.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#555  Edited By gunslingerNZ

We'll have to see what the tone of this game is like. San Andreas was my least favourite GTA so far, the story was uninspired and the city was drab and boring.

I'll play the game anyway because it's a GTA game but what they've shown so far isn't all that promising.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#556  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I just want some areas outside of a city and a better soundtrack. It looks like at least one of those is happening.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557  Edited By jmfinamore

Rockstar still make the best trailers in the business. Hope they keep on the atmosphere that they established in IV.

AlmightyPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#558  Edited By AlmightyPants

It looks really close, graphically, to GTA IV. Hopefully they have taken the criticism of that game into consideration for this one and have gotten rid of the crap that bogged it down. Also, a more arcade-y driving model would be nice!

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#559  Edited By Cincaid

@Seppli: My bad, you're right! :)

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#560  Edited By web966

It looks great, I cant wait for more

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#561  Edited By John

amazing, bro.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#562  Edited By rjayb89

Just when I thought they lost me with GTA IV, they bring me back in by bringing me back to the place that made me love the series, hell, the genre of open-world games. Very happy to see that it's Los Santos/San Andreas again. Will buy it when I can.

orgunuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563  Edited By orgunuk

Response to the video - 'Eh'

Going to need to see more to get interested after GTA4

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564  Edited By AiurFlux

Visually it looks nice, but I can't help but feel it'll take itself a bit to seriously for it's own good. Kind of like how GTA IV had a massive stick up it's ass at times. I mean it'll have the same physics engine and everything, so I'm not really expecting a massive deviation. What it boils down to is if they actually add in things to do in the game. GTA IV really didn't have a damn thing to do after you beat it other than going with fat queer Roman to see big American titties. I finished with a million bucks that I couldn't spend on ANYTHING.

But whatever. It's Rockstar. They could wrap up shit in tin foil and I'd still buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That... I mean, I guess no one should really be surprised.  But that looks (and sounds) more like GTA4: San Andreas than it does a numerical step in the series.  It just feels entirely underwhelming.  Maybe I'm beginning to understand why people are bummed out by Drake's Deception being 'just another' Uncharted game, because this feels like just another GTA.  GTA3 changed everything, and GTA4 added a level of stark realism where it had never been... what is the hook for GTA5?  

The MGS2-style excitement for this trailer just feels completely unearned.  It looks no different than any other big name sequel reveal at the VGAs.  In fact, I wonder why they chose now instead of then.

Xabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566  Edited By Xabu

Can't really say much of anything until I hear a PC port confirmed.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567  Edited By phrosnite

@AhmadMetallic said:

@phrosnite said:

Just chill out, bro. Or noone is allowed to post even vaguely negative posts any more?

No, it's that you get special attention when you do it because 2400 of your 1659 posts are about how a game is dull, a sell out or how a franchise is in a rut. Yes, you broke math with your complaint spamming.

/facepalm

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Awesome, I am down to play another GTA game set in San Andreas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b079cb81b70c
    deactivated-5b079cb81b70c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Xabu said:

Can't really say much of anything until I hear a PC port confirmed.

What. Why wouldn't there be one?

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570  Edited By AngelN7

Looks amazing also Planes! and Jets! and dogs! ... looks really cool I love the tone they set and the look of Los Santos can´t wait to disect every frame of the video,

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571  Edited By Homeslice

I hope it's crazier than GTA4....less grime and sad, more wacky, rip-roaring and over-the-top is what I want.

GTA (3 - San Andreas) was about largesse. Bigger meant better, more was more....more cars, bigger maps, more stuff to collect, more stuff to do.....everything but the kitchen sink.

Hopefully, a return to the west coast and some palm trees will bring that back. Colour me optimistic.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572  Edited By kingzetta

I haven not watched it yet because I'm sure it'll be pressed into my face at every turn soon enough.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#573  Edited By loopy_101

It's GTA IV with a San Andreas skin. Not impressed.

Overbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574  Edited By Overbite

Saints Row bitches! Strap it on

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575  Edited By oobs

i am thinking also you may play as both? or the voice over guy is the boss and the african american is the guy your playing as..my guess would be your playing as both or maybe 2 guys from an old game.. though i dont know a whole lot about the old GTA's before 4

Raviyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576  Edited By Raviyn

I never understood why people loce the GTA games, GTA4 was a kinda crappy game imo, the gunplay was bad, the driving even more so, I put 16 hours in to GTA4 I really wanted to like it, but unfortunately it wasn't a good game in any respect, and this just looks like more of the same....

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#577  Edited By AndrewB

Hmmm... so that spot-on information I read before the trailer was out had better have gotten one part wrong... otherwise I've had the twist to the game spoiled for me. I've been Brad-ed! It was Atlas all along!

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578  Edited By AngriGhandi

...Call me crazy, but "Why did I move here?" is the kind of question that I picture being answered by multiple people.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579  Edited By ocdog45

i don't even want trailers anymore. post a trailers about 3 months before it comes out. who knows when its gonna be released.

drstrawberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#580  Edited By drstrawberry

Damn, I was really hoping they'd go with a female protagonist

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#581  Edited By Sooperspy

Looks good. I'm hoping for a late 2012 release.

argcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582  Edited By argcomicfan

Am I the only one, picking up some mexican accent in the narrator?

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583  Edited By koobz

I'm desperately hoping that quick glimpse of a jet is hinting at a return to some more outlandish stuff; they had armored vehicles with cannons, golden helicopters, and base jumping in Ballad of Gay Tony, so maybe we'll be starting from that point in this one? Also, the bank heist mission in GTA IV was pretty excellent, so I'm glad it looks like they're doing at least one more heist-y thing in this one.

We've clearly got Saints Row for all-out insanity, but I'll still have interest in GTA if they've got snappy writing and that sense of verisimilitude that makes it extra fun when you do something just kind of crazy. Everyone seems really tired of GTA, but I genuinely loved GTA IV and the expansions when they came out. As long as they've tightened up the controls like they did for Red Dead and Noire, I don't see why I won't enjoy this one. Even if the main plot takes itself deadly serious, for me it's a lot of fun to just explore the worlds Rockstar and the Housers like to make.

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So,was that spoiler post right then? The one that spelled out the plot of the game, as well as the ending?

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585  Edited By Impossibilium

@Homeslice said:

I hope it's crazier than GTA4....less grime and sad, more wacky, rip-roaring and over-the-top is what I want.

Let me introduce you to Saint's Row ...

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#586  Edited By MEATBALL

I think I got myself over-hyped for the trailer, it didn't have much impact on me (but then I don't have any particular attachment to GTA: San Andreas, either). The environment looks like it's going to be as well realised as Liberty City, though, and I'm looking forward to it.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587  Edited By PhilipDuck

I want this game so much! This trailer has given me exactly what i wanted. Bring on GTA V!

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588  Edited By upwarDBound

I have to say I'm honestly surprised at the number of negative and indifferent posts aimed at this trailer and gta in general. My guess is that most of the people complaining weren't interested in gta to begin with, or they're complaining yet are going to buy it anyway. You should know by now what this series is about and this trailer shows what the series is about.

We have a fantastically rendered, sprawling open-world city that beats the pants off any other city based game. It's going to be about crime and murder and driving, all staples of gta. It's most likely going to have a good story. The protagonist sounds interesting as he has a family which could play a key part of the story. Is it entirely original? Not really but it is new for gta and I'm intrigued to see where it goes.

As for the game being set in a familiar location, I actually like it. I remember playing San Andreas and wishing that Los Santos was larger and more realistic. This trailer seems to confirm that. I'm also of the opinion that if they tried cramming the whole state in there like they did last time it would cheapen the effect. As it is there are mountains, fields, beaches, and empty countryside confirmed. This is already a huge step up in variety of locations from gta IV.

What I would also like to know is how some of you complaining think you know everything about the game from a minute long trailer? All it showed was backdrop, no gameplay. How do you know from that purely expositional trailer how the game is going to play? Is it going to be as crazy as Saint's Row the Third? I very highly doubt that and it's probably for the best. Saint's Row can be fun, but it's also entirely stupid. I have confidence that R* will make the game as fun to play as they always have been.

Some games I like to just mess around in and create havoc, others like gta I play to immerse myself in a virtual world. The fact that you can do zany things in some of them is icing on the cake. I happened to like gta IV quite a bit and was not too disappointed by the cutting of some previous features. There is just something about the way that R* crafts worlds that make them so eminently appealing. If you didn't already guess, I can't wait to hear more about this game.

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#589  Edited By Sunspots

I think Saint Row The Third will be a good conter point to this and a frash alternative to this version of GTA as, for me at least, the GTA series is becoming a little long in the tooth for me. Still great games, but when there is such a wacky alternative out there in the newest Saints Row, I would have more fun in said universe than yet another by the numbers GTA game.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590  Edited By Meowshi

@loopy_101 said:

It's GTA IV with a San Andreas skin. Not impressed.

What a baseless opinion.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#591  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

This is probably the only game that can make Call of Duty change its release date. I hope that whatever year this game comes out in, they release this game the same week or the week before Call of Duty, just because they can.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592  Edited By Shabs

I just don't know what I am supposed to be impressed with.

I have very fond memories of GTA: San Andreas, but that was because it felt like something new and fresh. It was a big world I wanted to explore. The RPG hooks made even the most menial task have some gameplay value.

This trailer has a more-of-the-same vibe. It's certainly not a looker. The narration doesn't put anything interesting forward. It's in an old setting for the series.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593  Edited By chrissedoff

@RuneseekerMireille said:

So,was that spoiler post right then? The one that spelled out the plot of the game, as well as the ending?

that post said it was set in the 1960. i don't think you saw a lot of wind turbines, yoga classes, compost bins and SUV's in the 1960s.

Talon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594  Edited By Talon64

This looks fucking awesome. San Andreas is my favorite of the GTA games, and the mountains and different aircraft (BLIMP!!!) have me believing that either you'll get to visit San Fierro and Las Venturas or the area will be big enough in scope that it won't matter.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#595  Edited By YOUNGLINK

Looks a lot like GTA IV in LA and more of that same GTAness but hey what do u expect, right? Anyways, i looks forward to seeing more. PREDICTION: Holiday 2012 release as the current gen consoles will now have their swan song. Spring 2013 will be too late IMO

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#596  Edited By sjschmidt93

I got my wish. Well, mostly. I hope SF and LV are in it, too.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#597  Edited By Vodun

Looking forward to revisiting San Andreas, but I'll be missing the 90's gangsta rap vibe from the first time we went there. That's what made that entire game for me to begin with.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca25b1c8f18a
    deactivated-5ca25b1c8f18a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love GTA San andreas, and I'm super excited to be going back to (I pray) all of San Andreas- but what I loved about that game beyond the world was the endearing wacky characters and the epic but fun tone of the story. Can it match that? GTA4 was an excellent experiment in what video games are really capable of as far as emotions and real choices, with an incredibly powerful story, but I'll always go back to San Andreas for a fun time. Can GTA5 merge those two aspects?

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#599  Edited By striderno9

@StriderNo9 said:

Rockstar more than almost any company today pushes boundaries on what is acceptable in video games. In terms of scenarios, dialog, and content. I was hoping for a female protagonist, but I'm still happy with what we got.

@Naplam said:

Heavy Rain has already pushed shit further than Grand Theft Auto ever has.

Y'all motherfuckers are funny.

Well, I never said GTA specifically, I said Rockstar. That includes Bully, GTA, Red Dead, and Manhunt. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm curious to why you say that.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#600  Edited By damnboyadvance

Wow, a 360p version of a trailer that is available to everyone in 720p. Thanks a lot, Giant Bomb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.