Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

SO Lets talk about the end. SPOILERS.... Obviously

• 75 results
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By R3Qui4M

How amazing was the cutscene tie in at the end? When Keyes asks Cortana if they had lost them. Which is, for those who don't know is the very starting scene of Halo: Combat Evolved. And the then, the last objective pops up SURVIVE, with no ammo hud shown you have no Idea how much ammo you have. You VISR cracks with more damage you take and then your damn death scene getting rushed by all the elites, very well done. Best Ending to any Halo game in my opinion.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Capum15

I kept wanting the scene from Combat Evolved to keep going...somewhat bummed that nothing was said after "I think we both know the answer to that.", but still a fucking awesome thing to do. Still wish they at least had more VO going on during the credits.

The Post-Credits ending was also pretty great.

Sucks that everyone in Noble got fucked over though. Except for...Jun? I wonder what happened to him. He wasn't with Halsey since she was alone when the SPARTAN Red Team on Reach found her (at ONI CASTLE Base, according to First Strike), which was well after the Autumn had left...maybe he died transporting Halsey there? Hmm.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

That ending was very well done. I salute Bungie for it. They actually made it very emotional and I was.......unsure. I kept thinking, "He can't die. He is going to survive. Watch he'll live.........Damn that is a lot of elite......OMG THAT ONE TACKLED HIM!! HE CAN MAKE! YEA KICK HIM OFF!.....OMG....they are pounding on him.....3....4....5...6 ELITES! They are on top of him! Is he gonna..... Stab......he is dead..." 

That's what I thought when watching it.

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @JoeRiccadonna: I know I survived for like 3-4 mins on Heroic, but when I say 4 elites rushing at me, and the gun clicked rather than shoot, I knew it was over.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @Capum15: Dude totally I thought the scene was gonna continue, this is the best thing ever, Bungie has remade Halo: Combat Evolved in the new engine hell yea lets go. Not quite still a fantastic touch. I was also disappointed to not see Master Chief Cryo Pod being loaded up into the Pillar of Autumn
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I thought it was a brilliant ending, post-credits I mean.   

During the credits I kept thinking about how I got cheated out of seeing Reach get glassed. I figured they'd do that, at least, but the post-credits caught me by surprise. I don't know about you guys, but I was ghosting that business trying to scavenge ammo and take them all down. Sadly, it was not meant to be. Not the best ending ever, but definitely the best Halo ending by leaps and bounds.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@R3Qui4M: Yeah, I was super surprised we didn't get a glimpse of the Chief. I think it was a smart move on Bungie's part not to show him, but I felt like it was a really easy thing to do. Just be all like, "Bam, there he is, standing behind Keyes on that Pelican, the greatest of all Spartans."
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

It wasn't bad, but I thought it could have been better. Maybe like, show Master Chief, have him take his helmet off... Ha, just kidding. But really, I liked the ending, but I was left feeling a little dissapointed considering it's the last Halo that we know of. Overall it was pretty emotional and there were a few spots I got the pins 'n needles feeling for a few seconds as I saw some of it go on. I guess I just wanted more Halo: CE parts other than a few words.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @KingWilly: Yea I agree, not the best ending ever. That I my book belongs to Half-Life 1 I also played that at a very young age so I have sweet spot for it in my memory, also RDR ending almost brought me to tears first game to ever do that not even GTA4 did.
    Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Grixxel

Pft, after the credits started rolling instead of doing the last stand on six (which was a great touch) it should have just zoomed in on master chief getting out of the cryo and SURPRISE! Bungie added the entire original Halo campaign with updated graphics.

HAH! 

I wish.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capum15

Thinking about it, didn't the ending here create a rather large time discrepancy with the book? In the book, the SPARTAN IIs were transported to the Pillar of Autumn while it was in orbit, a small amount of time before the Covenant Fleet appeared, while the game shows it leaving after the complete invasion began. Infact, the Autumn was about to leave the system on the Top Secret mission to capture a Prophet when the UNSC got word of the Covenant Fleet moving through Slipspace, and had to stop and defend Reach. Which then ended up having all but like, 10 or so Spartans dying, with John the only one to escape the Covenant Fleet (and Linda, but she was pretty much dead until Halsey was rescued).

...sorry for the mini-ramble, it kinda bugged me a little. Still a great ending.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capum15: I think there's a lot of that sort of continuity error between the novels and the games. The SPARTAN-IIs, if you go by the timeline established in First Strike, are basically totally reunited moments before Halo 2 begins, but there is literally no mention of any other SPARTAN-II for the entirety of the Master Chief saga, which seems especially ignorant if they could have helped in any sense during the Battle of Earth (Halo 3).  

To me, the Halo canon is a lot like the Star Wars canon. There's a ton of specifics you sort of have to disregard in order to reckon it entirely. Primary-Tier Canon (Halo--the games; Star Wars--the movies) are literally unquestionable, and everything else is--or, at least, ought to be--beholden to that. But when the developers go back into a time that has only been addressed by Secondary-Tier Canon (the comics and books) and make a game set in that period, in the midst of the very events the Secondary-Tier Canon explores, continuity goofs are created almost inevitably. 
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Fosssil
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Actually, you do get a small glimpse of the Chief during the last level through an Easter Egg if you hold both thumbsticks to the right during the cutscene where the Autumn leaves the dry dock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwPTahnterI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fosssil: Haha. Wow. 

Well, I think that was the smart way to do it. It's not some overwrought moment of "epicness" between Noble Six and Master Chief. It's a neat little easter egg. That's actually kind of cool. 
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Capum15
    @Sir_Ragnarok: They couldn't help in Halo 3, since the remaining Spartans (apart from Gray Team) were on Onyx and subsequently went into the shield world during the second Battle of Earth. Though they were on Earth during the First Battle (Halo 2, like you said). And adding to that, Cortana states that they do not know why the Covenant came to Earth with only a small fleet in Halo 2 (they think the Covenant didn't know Humans were on the planet), despite First Strike showing the Spartans utterly decimating a few hundred ships and turning that Earth-Glassing fleet from 300+ into roughly 10-20 ships.

Anyway, yeah, that whole first/second-tier stuff describes it well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capum15: Huh. I haven't read anything beyond First Strike. They sent the SPARTAN-II's to Onyx as well? That seems like a misallocation of resources to me (not arguing with you, but with the fiction). Wouldn't they want a few on Earth, like, just in case? Since that's the prized jewel of the human race?  

Is it ever clear how many S-III's are alive after the destruction of Reach? They seem like they can really hold their own in a fight. Which is kind of a tangential point--the Spartans in the game seem damned-near invincible where the Spartans in the books are kind of frail. A weird disconnect. 

Again, that's a part of the fiction I haven't really explored very deeply. I might pick up the post-First Strike books and see how it all ties together.
    Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
    JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By JackBauerCTU225

I enjoyed it after having read the halo reach book i knew what was going to happen and obviously from the 1st game. incredible much better than halo 2's not that hard to do. finishing this fight. 
    bungie made a almost perfect halo game in my opinion

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By big_jon

It was an amazing ending. 

Spartans never die.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Capum15
    @Sir_Ragnarok:  Ah, that makes sense. Reading Post-First Strike would definitely clear things up. Really quick notes, "Ghosts Of Onyx" deals with Spartan 3's, Dr. Halsey, Spartan IIs and Onyx. "The Cole Protocol" deals with Gray Team (Spartan IIs to far away to be recalled to fight) and Captain Keyes. "Contact: Harvest" deals with one Sergeant A. J. Johnson and the planet Harvest during the first contact with the Covenant (brutes, no less). Contact: Harvest also shows why the Covenant went all Genocidal with Humanity instead of trying to bring them into the fold.

Okay, so...wall of text incoming. Putting it into a Spoiler tag to keep the post size down, I also tried to skim over the Onyx book enough to not spoil anything major, but I also tried to explain the whole Spartan 3 thing from the book standpoint.

Lastly, do you remember the N.O.V.A. bomb from First Strike? Yeah, that comes back awesomely. So awesomely it defies physics. Literally.
    dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dantheman1515

The MAC sequence was fucking awesome as well.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By flufflogic

For fitting it into the fiction: 

The S3s were fitted with SPI for covert ops only, such as Pegasi. The ones on Reach have modified  MJOLNIR on, which is less powered due to their younger ages (most Spartan-III program kids were still in their teens when they hit active duty, whereas Spartan-I and II entered duty as adults). It does get mentioned in Ghosts of Onyx that S3s have 2 armours. 

The Autumn is in refit at the end of Reach, going into full slipspace launch after following Cole Protocol. The defending of Reach probably depleted a lot of necessary supplies, which due to the escalation of battle they have to leave behind - but not before Halsey hands over Cortana. 

So, for me, the whole thing can be rationalised into what I've read so far.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Capum15
    @flufflogic:  Cortana was on board the Pillar of Autumn well before the Covenant assault on Reach. She was there shaking down the reactor and getting the systems online while it was in orbit. During that she broke into ONI databases and looked around the SPARTAN records, there she found things that had happened to John and vowed never to let him get hurt again. Keyes had the Autumn start moving before the shakedown was complete, and before he could jump into Slipspace to start the Prophet-hunting mission, the Covenant attacked. According to book-fiction, the Autumn suffered heavy damage during the battle and ended up just jumping out of the system with no time to repair.

But the whole Spartan 3 two-armor thing makes sense. Guessed I missed that part, thanks for clarifying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capum15: @flufflogic: Y'all are badasses for clearing some hazy shit up for me. I'll probably need to go through and read the books, just on interest alone. 
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Lies
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Capum15: Huh. I haven't read anything beyond First Strike. They sent the SPARTAN-II's to Onyx as well? That seems like a misallocation of resources to me (not arguing with you, but with the fiction). Wouldn't they want a few on Earth, like, just in case? Since that's the prized jewel of the human race?   Is it ever clear how many S-III's are alive after the destruction of Reach? They seem like they can really hold their own in a fight. Which is kind of a tangential point--the Spartans in the game seem damned-near invincible where the Spartans in the books are kind of frail. A weird disconnect.  Again, that's a part of the fiction I haven't really explored very deeply. I might pick up the post-First Strike books and see how it all ties together. "
    Spartan-III Gamma Company deploys shortly after the battle of Reach, about 300 strong. All other Spartan-IIIs gave been wiped out on suicide missions or assigned to special ops squads at that point.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Capum15
    @Sir_Ragnarok: No problem, I just love the fiction of Halo a lot, if you couldn't tell. :P

@Lies: A condensed version, but accurate.

The only other Spartan IIIs (apart from those in Gamma) are Tom and Lucy, the two who survived that suicide mission (and Lucy was rendered mute from it). They, along with a certain Spartan II and a certain Chief Petty Officer were the ones who trained Gamma (the S2 and CPO trained the other two, since Tom and Lucy weren't there for the first, and were trained themselves in the second).
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond

It made me sad because now I want to play through Halo 1 in this engine.  The Pillar of Autumn was so awesome looking...  Didn't even get to see Master Chief (which I really thought you would, with the way people were talking about it).

I was surprised with the campaign in that there was really only one 'bad' level (Exodus is the name, I believe).  Exodus was so boring and looked ugly.  But the end picked it back up and was great...

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By flufflogic
    @Capum15: Yeah, true. They've done that whole "game fiction before fiction" thing that really irks me, as TBH the book was written previous. The whole Autumn/Cortana thing, though a nice touch, didn't need to be there, and I'd have preferred if they'd let you deliver it via Sabre for one last badass vehicle mission.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Jeffsekai

Mannnnn I just want them to make the books into games, much better story :( 

Game was still amazing tho.

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    Something to keep in mind is that they're rewriting parts of Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike, that will likely include references to the events of Reach and create better unity between all of the stories (games and books).
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Burns09

Really wanted to see Master Chief in is old armor, looking all awesome with the updated visuals.

Pepeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pepeman

Im not that into Halo fiction at all, but it would have been cool ( to me, atleast) that one of the reasons Masterchief is so awesome in combat is because Cortana observed how Noble 6. 
    handled himself /herself in combat, and then transferred that data to Chief . So in a way, the reason Chief's so kick-ass in the first place, is because of players action  in Reach, in a obsucre way... 

Cortana: "Before you wake him up commander, take a look at this data i collected, maybe it can be put to a good use.."

I know that's not the case in any way, i know John is in fact just really well trained soldier etc.

Must...sleep.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fentonalpha

Isn't that the end of Cris Core?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Capum15
    @flufflogic: Oh man, that would've been badass. They totally could've made it like that, then after delivering it you escort the Autumn while her Slipspace reactor heats up and right before (or as) she's jumping, your ship gets disabled and you somehow end up crashing back on reach. Then the post-credits scene could happen.

@Fish_Face_McGee: I thought I read something on The Fall Of Reach's new version was a bit different. Hmm, that'll be interesting.

@Jeffsekai: Hmm, since the IP is now in 343 Studios' hands, that may well happen. And it would be pretty awesome.
    Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Warihay

I loved the re done scene for the beginning of Combat Evolved. Seeing the Pillar was great. I was really hoping they would keep going with that scene and get a glimpse of Master Chief in his old armor with the new graphics but I guess not. Great ending though.

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By LincoIn

Halo is my favorite gaming franchise. Halo 1 was the reason I bought an Xbox back in the day, insane amount of time staying up late having LAN parties with friends. I loved the campaign so much that I bought the books to help with the agonizing wait for Halo 2. Really got attached to the fiction and Halo universe by then and while the sequels never had that "special" feeling I still played them to death too. I LOVED Halo Reach it had a lot of great fan service and the ending was indeed amazing but I agree with previous posters they could have done a better job of fleshing out Noble Team. Only deaths I felt something was Jorge and Kat's.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ozzdog12

I was hoping for something extra in the Legendary ending..

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Lies
    @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " Something to keep in mind is that they're rewriting parts of Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike, that will likely include references to the events of Reach and create better unity between all of the stories (games and books). "
    Fall of Reach reissue already came out with no reference to this stuff. First Strike could go through some more serious revisions to account for the new version of the Battle of Reach presented in the game, but if they didn't alter FoR for stuff like the Pillar being planetside when the attack happened I'm not sure how much they'll change First Strike.
    Kutkh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kutkh

Just read through Halsey's journal (the book that comes with the limited edition) and wanted to let those who haven't read it know that it patches up a number of the continuity problems between the books and the game. 

In short: 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@R3Qui4M:  The last quote I think was a fucking brilliant way to end this series.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By falconer

Am I the only one here that thinks that this isn't the "successor" to Halo 3? A lot of small things make this not the greatest campaign experience Bungie has produced. For one, there are the technical issues. I can't say that I ever had any problems in game, but like everyone else has said, the frame rate is straight up bad during cut scenes. Another problem I have is the length. During my first play through on Normal, I completed the game in 5 hours 45 minutes. Halo 3's campaign was at least an hour longer than that, if not more. 

Then there's the story itself. Personally, I didn't find it as compelling. Yeah, there were some bad ass moments. But, for example, when Kat got shot I was just like "Kay, that just happened." I didn't really care. Give me another game with the Master Chief in it though? I'm gonna eat that shit up. And there's the fact that they retconned everything, but that's just more personal issues...  

Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the game is supposed to be played on Heroic as standard, I imagine that's the time they're gunning for, but no I don't recall it taking that long. Didn't count though. Of course the flip side is that the campaign is designed well enough for multiple run-throughs, which is more than can be said for other games, even those specifically designed for SP only!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Capum15 said:
    " I kept wanting the scene from Combat Evolved to keep going...somewhat bummed that nothing was said after "I think we both know the answer to that.", but still a fucking awesome thing to do. Still wish they at least had more VO going on during the credits.The Post-Credits ending was also pretty great.Sucks that everyone in Noble got fucked over though. Except for...Jun? I wonder what happened to him. He wasn't with Halsey since she was alone when the SPARTAN Red Team on Reach found her (at ONI CASTLE Base, according to First Strike), which was well after the Autumn had left...maybe he died transporting Halsey there? Hmm. "
    This. I really think they should have cut from the keyes scene to having them wake MC up, same as the beginning of CE, only done with Reach graphics. Would have been awesome.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Jost1

Whole campaign was fucking incredible and I don't say that lightly

Kutkh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kutkh
    @ShaggyChu said:
    " And there's the fact that they retconned everything, but that's just more personal issues...   "

Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but if this bothers you, try and get your hands on the supplemental material - Halsey's journal, etc. It closes a lot of gaps: they've actually been remarkably careful not to heavily retcon anything. The only remaining oddity for me is why the Autumn is on Reach and not in space, but that can easily be rationalised in any number of ways - it's about to undertake a jump of indefinite length and needs refitting, it's landing in secret to pick up half of Cortana (which was hidden, along with Halsey's knowledge of the Forerunners, from everyone.) 

Regarding length... yeah, what others said. It's Halo: the full length game happens on Heroic, and the bonus length game happens on Legendary. Coming up on half-way through my Legendary play-through now and I've already spent about 5 hours on it.
    Avatar image for cletusthefoetus
    CletusTheFoetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CletusTheFoetus

I really couldn't do the MAC gun part. I thought I had to take out the carrier rather than taking out all the phantoms and banshee's but, after getting my ass handed to me decided to [hide] wait behind the gun and fire at the last moment. Once I did that it unceremoniously popped me into the cutscene. I was so pissed off, having fought for 30 minutes I ended up clubbing things with the spartan laser in the last part. did not like.  

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By GeneralTurkle

What happened to Jun? I never saw him die...

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By lumley

I adored the ending and it lead to me spending sooo much time reading through halopedia  

I didn't realise that:

• Cortana and Masterchief knew each other before the Fall of Reach and had fought together many times
    • Masterchief was part of the Fall of Reach
    • Miranda Keyes was Halsey's daughter
    and other stuff
    fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#48  Edited By fistfulofmetal

someone needs to go through and put together the complete sequence of events between Halo: Reach and Fall of Reach because I smell some serious retconning going on. There's things that just don't add up. The introduction of Cortana and her delivery to the PoA didn't go down that way at all. Plus the time frame of Halsey's actions and why the PoA was landed on Reach. A lot doesn't match with the book. I havent read FoR in a real long time and even I don't remembering it going down this way.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By niamahai

did Dr. Halsey survive the events of Halo3?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tunaburn
    @CletusTheFoetus said:
    " I really couldn't do the MAC gun part. I thought I had to take out the carrier rather than taking out all the phantoms and banshee's but, after getting my ass handed to me decided to [hide] wait behind the gun and fire at the last moment. Once I did that it unceremoniously popped me into the cutscene. I was so pissed off, having fought for 30 minutes I ended up clubbing things with the spartan laser in the last part. did not like.   "
    dude i had left a guy alive behind me and everytime i got on that stupid gun he shot me in the back to death instantly. i tried to go back and kill him but by then all the banshees and shit were over the gun. i had to literally do what you did. i ducked behind the gun til the last possible second, jumped out and shot once into the cutscene. Pretty lame part there. But the ending where noble 6 dies was great. I hated playing through the campaign as i got bored halfway through but i still felt a little baby twinge at the end there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.