Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

I like HALO too much

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies

Yes friends, I do. I recently purchased and read all the way through another HALO book.

No Caption Provided
    However, this is one of the best we've gotten in a while. Evolutions is a collection of short stories and one novella, all set in the Halo universe. We've been getting short-form projects for a while now (Evolutions, Legends, Helljumper, Halo: Blood Line), and Evolutions feels like they finally nailed it. It's a great compilation, and touches on all the aspects that a Halo book really needs to. It does somewhat assume previous knowledge of the Halo universe, and for sure there are some weird-ass stories in there (LOOKING AT YOU KAREN TRAVISS) but overall it's a great package and I really enjoyed it.

There is a problem though: this book has HALO in big bold letters on every side of it, making it impossible to pass off as something else. This is unfortunate, because see, I'd rather no one know I'm reading a Halo book, but these guys are determined to out me. The pictures may not convey it, but that is some big-ass lettering. It is a larger than normal jacket, bigger than standard paperback size by about an inch both ways, which may somewhat explain it. Pretty long too, clocking in at 526 pages for 12 stories, a few poems and pieces of art.

Once again, I just have to say that I really enjoyed it and if any of you enjoyed other Halo books or are interested in the fiction, it's definitely worth a look. Legends has been showing some pretty bad material recently, but Evolutions proves that you can do short, contained stories in the Halo universe well. 

Key Stories

The Mona Lisa

A terrific, occasionally terrifying novella detailing a team of UNSC marines investigating a derelict prison ship in the wreckage of Installation 04. Yes, it's essentially Aliens in the Halo universe- which itself was ripped pretty closely from the Aliens universe- but it's still a great story with a fantastic ending.

Dirt

The story of a Colonial Marine from Harvest and his odyssey through the Human-Covenant war. Written by Tobias S. Buckell, who was responsible for the less than stellar Halo: Cole Protocol, this one showcases his talents much better and spins an enjoyable tale.

Headhunters

A piece about two Spartan-IIIs on a mission deep behind enemy lines. There's some fun interplay between the two Spartans as they carry out their commando raids on this unnamed, Covenant-controlled moon. Interesting characters who flow nicely back and forth, punctuated with an action scene or two.

The Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole

Written by Halo vet Eric Nylund, this piece focuses on Admiral Cole, a character who has been referenced occasionally but never really too deeply explored. It provides some information on the pre-war Insurrection as well as a sweeping picture of the war with the Covenant and the toll it takes on Cole. Rad title too.

I know there are lots of people who brush off Halo, but I really enjoy it's story, and the expanded universe stuff is only showing us more interesting corners of the world. If you're interested by the Halo story but have never really picked up any of this stuff, I'd recommend you at least take a look at Fall of Reach before Halo: Reach comes out. It tells the story of the Spartan-II program and is actually a pretty good read (for a videogame book). If you can't find it at your local library, it's about five bucks at a bookstore- it's worth taking a chance on if you like the Halo story. If you decide you like that, there's plenty more, and this newest offering only hints at greater things to come.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lies

Yes friends, I do. I recently purchased and read all the way through another HALO book.

No Caption Provided
    However, this is one of the best we've gotten in a while. Evolutions is a collection of short stories and one novella, all set in the Halo universe. We've been getting short-form projects for a while now (Evolutions, Legends, Helljumper, Halo: Blood Line), and Evolutions feels like they finally nailed it. It's a great compilation, and touches on all the aspects that a Halo book really needs to. It does somewhat assume previous knowledge of the Halo universe, and for sure there are some weird-ass stories in there (LOOKING AT YOU KAREN TRAVISS) but overall it's a great package and I really enjoyed it.

There is a problem though: this book has HALO in big bold letters on every side of it, making it impossible to pass off as something else. This is unfortunate, because see, I'd rather no one know I'm reading a Halo book, but these guys are determined to out me. The pictures may not convey it, but that is some big-ass lettering. It is a larger than normal jacket, bigger than standard paperback size by about an inch both ways, which may somewhat explain it. Pretty long too, clocking in at 526 pages for 12 stories, a few poems and pieces of art.

Once again, I just have to say that I really enjoyed it and if any of you enjoyed other Halo books or are interested in the fiction, it's definitely worth a look. Legends has been showing some pretty bad material recently, but Evolutions proves that you can do short, contained stories in the Halo universe well. 

Key Stories

The Mona Lisa

A terrific, occasionally terrifying novella detailing a team of UNSC marines investigating a derelict prison ship in the wreckage of Installation 04. Yes, it's essentially Aliens in the Halo universe- which itself was ripped pretty closely from the Aliens universe- but it's still a great story with a fantastic ending.

Dirt

The story of a Colonial Marine from Harvest and his odyssey through the Human-Covenant war. Written by Tobias S. Buckell, who was responsible for the less than stellar Halo: Cole Protocol, this one showcases his talents much better and spins an enjoyable tale.

Headhunters

A piece about two Spartan-IIIs on a mission deep behind enemy lines. There's some fun interplay between the two Spartans as they carry out their commando raids on this unnamed, Covenant-controlled moon. Interesting characters who flow nicely back and forth, punctuated with an action scene or two.

The Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole

Written by Halo vet Eric Nylund, this piece focuses on Admiral Cole, a character who has been referenced occasionally but never really too deeply explored. It provides some information on the pre-war Insurrection as well as a sweeping picture of the war with the Covenant and the toll it takes on Cole. Rad title too.

I know there are lots of people who brush off Halo, but I really enjoy it's story, and the expanded universe stuff is only showing us more interesting corners of the world. If you're interested by the Halo story but have never really picked up any of this stuff, I'd recommend you at least take a look at Fall of Reach before Halo: Reach comes out. It tells the story of the Spartan-II program and is actually a pretty good read (for a videogame book). If you can't find it at your local library, it's about five bucks at a bookstore- it's worth taking a chance on if you like the Halo story. If you decide you like that, there's plenty more, and this newest offering only hints at greater things to come.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Dat is a big ass book. 

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Sounds pretty interesting, thanks for the review.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I really enjoy the Halo lore and need to pick this up ASAP.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

There's a backstory to Halo? I learn something new every day.

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Nemesis
    @Lies: Thanks for being a corporate shill!
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zombie2011
    @natetodamax said:
    " There's a backstory to Halo? I learn something new every day. "
    Wow 3 posts in and the Halo hate begins, must be a new record. Why do you post in Halo forums if all you do is bash on it.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

Remember: Master Chief is his name, not his rank.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK

According to halocharts i average 10.5 games a day... i like halo too much also. Despite that i have never bought a halo book. Also 

@zombie2011 said:

" @natetodamax said:
    Wow 3 posts in and the Halo hate begins, must be a new record. Why do you post in Halo forums if all you do is bash on it. "

It makes him cool 
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lies
    @rjayb89 said:

" Remember: Master Chief is his name, not his rank. "

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By calidan777

Awesome, I'll have to check this out. I too am a huge fan of Halo and it's fiction and having read all of the novels thus far, I'm always on the lookout for something new to read. I'm in the process of reading "The Fall of Reach" for the 3rd or 4th time in anticipation of the release of Halo:Reach this fall. Thanks for the heads up.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nemesis said:
    " @Lies: Thanks for being a corporate shill! "
    You too for being the Bungie page on Giant Bomb's top editor.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By natetodamax
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    Wow 3 posts in and the Halo hate begins, must be a new record. Why do you post in Halo forums if all you do is bash on it. "
    So not knowing that Halo had a backstory means I'm hating on Halo? lol, whatever you say.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @natetodamax said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    So not knowing that Halo had a backstory means I'm hating on Halo? lol, whatever you say. "
    Don't be a smart ass.  You know what you were doing. 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    So not knowing that Halo had a backstory means I'm hating on Halo? lol, whatever you say. "
    Don't be a smart ass.  You know what you were doing.  "
    I was stating my surprise. I fail to see how that is considered hating.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Whisperkill

The Halo books are awesome.

The Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx were amazing books that anyone should read.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:

"
    I was stating my surprise. I fail to see how that is considered hating. "

I don't possibly see how someone who has 7,804 posts on a videogame forum can't have encountered the Halo books, the backstory of the series, or at least the knowledge that these things exist.  This has even been discussed in Bombcasts.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By natetodamax
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    "
    I don't possibly see how someone who has 7,804 posts on a videogame forum can't have encountered knowledge of any of the Halo books or its backstory.  This has even been discussed in Bombcasts. "
    I wasn't aware my post count represented my knowledge of a certain video game franchise. And I don't pay attention to Halo's story at all, so obviously I wouldn't.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
    " @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    "
    I don't possibly see how someone who has 7,804 posts on a videogame forum can't have encountered knowledge of any of the Halo books or its backstory.  This has even been discussed in Bombcasts. "
    I wasn't aware my post count represented my knowledge of a certain video game franchise. And I don't pay attention to Halo's story at all, so obviously I wouldn't. "
    Like I say in my edited posts, you'd have to know these things exist at least.  Or you don't listen or pay attention to Bombcasts.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lies

Saying

And I don't pay attention to Halo's story at all, so obviously I wouldn't.   

and then saying

is contradictory. If you intentionally ignore the story then you obviously know that a story exists, just for whatever reason you pay no attention to it. Then you go and claim ignorance of the story, which is ridiculous because you've been intentionally ignoring it.

Regardless, nate doesn't enjoy HALO. Noted.
    Giuseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Giuseppe

I read half of the first one where he first goes into the spartan program. It was awesome!!!! But, I stopped reading for some reason.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By natetodamax
    @Lies: I simply meant that I didn't know a story existed outside of the games. When I said I didn't pay attention, I meant I don't go researching it.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By oldschool
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Lies: I simply meant that I didn't know a story existed outside of the games. When I said I didn't pay attention, I meant I don't go researching it. "
    Hey, I didn't see any hate from Nate, and no, he isn't my friend.  Am I really missing something?  I don't care for Halo either, but I do have the Collectors Edition for 3 with a lovely book I don't care about.  All popular series will have story books to make more money from the fans with (nothing wrong with that) and with 5,000 posts, I have absolutely no idea what the Halo story is or any back story.  
    ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By ki11tank

his name is chief and he is a master.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThomasP

Not at all interested in the Halo universe, but I'm glad you enjoy it. We all follow something.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I managed to read through Nylund's story the other day on my break at the bookstore I work at. Pretty enjoyable.  

Related, but not directly: Did you see "Origins I" of Halo Legends, Lies? It's all stuff we kind of knew already, but just seeing the logisitics of it all unfold, seeing exactly what a Forerunner looks like and how they fought the Flood was pretty neat. Definitely the best of the Legends shorts thus far. (But there've only been like, what, two?)

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By c1337us
    @Lies: Do you think there is an value in the books for some one who lets say their fondness for the games is limited? Or is this strictly fan service stuff? Because I wouldnt mind checking it out anyway if they are well written books.
    Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Korone

I think you like HALO just the right amount.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By ArchScabby

There is nothing wrong with listening to the Halo books.  I've read a couple, the first three, and they were actually pretty good I remember.  Just because it's based on a video game doesn't automatically mean it sucks,  if it's a good book then it's a book book.  That's it.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crystalskull2

Can i enjoy the books even though i haven't played Halo?or do i need to know the story of all the Halo games?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I can't really comment having read the Gears Of War books but... yeah. Halo. 

:|

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalskull2 said:

" Can i enjoy the books even though i haven't played Halo?or do i need to know the story of all the Halo games? "

@c1337us said:

" @Lies: Do you think there is an value in the books for some one who lets say their fondness for the games is limited? Or is this strictly fan service stuff? Because I wouldnt mind checking it out anyway if they are well written books. "

I read the Fall of Reach and it was just a well written sci-fi novel.  It was a lot more personal than the Halo games and dealt with some interesting things not covered in there (the training of the SPARTANS and the battle at Reach), so you certainly don't need to have played the game.  I recommend them if you like some war themed sci-fi, like say Starship Troopers.  Reminded me of that book some.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Brendan
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    "@crystalskull2 said:

" Can i enjoy the books even though i haven't played Halo?or do i need to know the story of all the Halo games? "

@c1337us said:

" @Lies: Do you think there is an value in the books for some one who lets say their fondness for the games is limited? Or is this strictly fan service stuff? Because I wouldnt mind checking it out anyway if they are well written books. "

I read the Fall of Reach and it was just a well written sci-fi novel.  It was a lot more personal than the Halo games and dealt with some interesting things not covered in there (the training of the SPARTANS and the battle at Reach), so you certainly don't need to have played the game.  I recommend them if you like some war themed sci-fi, like say Starship Troopers.  Reminded me of that book some. "

Agreed, the books aren't epic literature by any means, they are just competent sci-fi pop reading.  As a Halo fan, however, I thoroughly enjoyed leaning about the different back stories, so they certainly have value if you find the Halo universe interesting.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lies
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Do The Mona Lisa next, it's the best- although it will probably take a few breaks to get through it, as it's over 100 pages. I did see Orgins I, it was alright I guess but I didn't really get too much out of it. For my money the Terminals from Halo 3 did a much better job of telling that story. Origins is much more approachable though, for sure.

@c1337us: Well I'd say you have to like what's in the games at least a little. Someone with no fondness for the universe probably won't be convinced by the novels, but if ou find the Halo universe even a little bit intriguing the books would probably agree with you. As some of these other guys said, it's pretty standard sci-fi fare, just set in the Halo universe.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crunchUK
    @Lies said:
    " Saying

and then saying

is contradictory. If you intentionally ignore the story then you obviously know that a story exists, just for whatever reason you pay no attention to it. Then you go and claim ignorance of the story, which is ridiculous because you've been intentionally ignoring it.  Regardless, nate doesn't enjoy HALO. Noted. "
    I think it has something to do with bad loserness and ego. I remember telling him to go play SBTB and then a couple of days later a blog cropped up about how "zomg halo is awesome now i gots an invincible" but then it was all sour grapes... Probably found out that big sprees and scorpion tanks work both ways. That, and i remember nearly every single game where he lost had him quitting out rather early on. Just throwing out ideas here...
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By natetodamax
    @crunchUK said:

" @Lies said:

" Saying

and then saying

is contradictory. If you intentionally ignore the story then you obviously know that a story exists, just for whatever reason you pay no attention to it. Then you go and claim ignorance of the story, which is ridiculous because you've been intentionally ignoring it.  Regardless, nate doesn't enjoy HALO. Noted. "
    I think it has something to do with bad loserness and ego. I remember telling him to go play SBTB and then a couple of days later a blog cropped up about how "zomg halo is awesome now i gots an invincible" but then it was all sour grapes... Probably found out that big sprees and scorpion tanks work both ways. That, and i remember nearly every single game where he lost had him quitting out rather early on. Just throwing out ideas here... "
    I fail to see how that makes me a loser with a bad ego. And I certainly don't remember typing "zomg halo is awesome now i gots an invincible"
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By breadfan

One year this kid in one of my English classes did a book report on one of the Halo books and was so embarrassed when he had to present it in front of the class.  I didn't feel too bad for him since he was one of the most annoying people I have ever met. 

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39  Edited By Ping5000

Remember: Master Chief is a name. 

I mean, I MEA--

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Sir_Ragnarok said:
     Definitely the best of the Legends shorts thus far. (But there've only been like, what, two?) "

Actually there has been like 6, maybe more
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GunnBjorn

I really digged the multi-play of Halo 2... 
    Played it an awful lot with my friends in 2004 and 2005. 
    But the background story never grabbed me that much. 
    I'm glad for you that you like it and i hope you'll continue to do so. 
    Enjoy.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By crunchUK

I can't find it now but there was this completely gigantunormous post on bungie.net that explains the entire halo backstory known about so far

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theres a halo backstory now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.