Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Reviews On The Horizon

• 68 results
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

It seems like Nioh isn't the only good PS4 exclusive to start the year with. At least according to some reviews, that is.

...and since I don't really have *that* much interest towards Nioh, I'm very glad I have this game to dig into! While I'm still somewhat wary of open-world games fatigue getting to me, I'm at least willing to give Horizon's world a chance, since it isn't your typical modern city/fantasy landscape setting.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This game was completly off my radar as an graphical openworld moneygrab but after Jeffs review im very interested. I got burned before however when i followed Jeffs advice and tried Farcry. That man can talk up a game even if its a game i know i wont like.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By probablytuna

@rethla: From what I've read, Farcry is a very apt comparison for Horizon in that it's an open-world game with lots of side stuff to do and stronghold-like areas to take over. So if you don't like Farcry then...... Yeah maybe watch the quick look when it's out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I read the review from Jeff and it sounded like one of those games where an interesting story is dragging the serviceable gameplay along. He didn't really expand too much on what it is that you do apart from stalking and killing robo animals - is there Tomb Raider like platforming?

I dunno at first blush this game looks right up my alley but I have this nagging feeling like there isn't much there once the honeymoon phase is over and you're left grinding out repetitive gameplay to uncover the story bits. Also not a huge fan of Ashley Burch.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I would probably buy a Nintendo Switch if this game wasn't coming out in the same week.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@humanity said:

I read the review from Jeff and it sounded like one of those games where an interesting story is dragging the serviceable gameplay along. He didn't really expand too much on what it is that you do apart from stalking and killing robo animals - is there Tomb Raider like platforming?

I dunno at first blush this game looks right up my alley but I have this nagging feeling like there isn't much there once the honeymoon phase is over and you're left grinding out repetitive gameplay to uncover the story bits. Also not a huge fan of Ashley Burch.

I don't know, I've read/heard the reviews from Danny, Jim Sterling, and Kinda Funny as well as Jeff and the common refrain seems to be the "honeymoon" period lasts 30+ hours. Kinda Funny in particular mentioned that several sidequests involved attacking a new creature for the first time and required a lot of improvising on the fly. They also mentioned there's very few "Collect X Skins" quests. (Specifically, they said the only time it was that blatant/simple was when you were doing quests for the Hunting Lodge.) I suspect there's a few gameplay twists or innovative sideplots they can't mention yet due to NDA.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If I hadnt just completed two open world games and this wasnt coming out within a week of Nier Automata and Zelda i'd get it, as it stands I can wait.

This year has been pretty damn good so far. (game wise)

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thing that I skipped Far Cry 4, might have feel burn out by now.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By limond

I've skipped all the open world games since Saints Row 3. Time to get a PS4.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Is this a real PS4 exclusive, or is it a timed thing? Will there possibly be a PC release?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@giantstalker said:

Is this a real PS4 exclusive, or is it a timed thing? Will there possibly be a PC release?

Very doubtful this will ever see a PC release. Unlike Microsoft, Sony generally doesn't allow their exclusives onto the PC. The game was also developed by the people behind the Killzone franchise, and none of those games were ever available on PC.

http://www.giantbomb.com/guerrilla-games/3010-2392/#related-tab-games-1

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wasn't too hot on this game after reading Jeff's review. The structure of the game is just something I've done too often, and the lack of challenge Jeff brought up about the combat made it sound bland to play. But the story sounded intriguing.

Then I watched Danny O'Dwyer's impression video on youtube and he brought up there is a hard mode. I doubt Jeff played on this, as they always mention how they review games on the default mode. So with this info in mind I'm much more compelled to play this game sooner, rather than much later like I planned.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@humanity said:

Also not a huge fan of Ashley Burch.

You have no idea how much I wish 'That's cool, more for me then' would apply here.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @humanity said:

You have no idea how much I wish 'That's cool, more for me then' would apply here.

I'm indifferent on Ashley Burch, but I'd pay good money for a DLC update that would allow the protagonist in Horizon: Zero Dawn to be voiced as Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between this release and Yakuza 0 I feel myself wanting a PS4 more and more. I'm also surprised this reviewed so well. It seemed like a graphical tour de force in the trailers but at the same time I was worried it was nothing more then that. Can't wait for the quicklook.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@humanity said:

I know nearly everyone found her to be complete trash in Borderlands 2 (and I pretty much agree), but Ashly Burch has actually done some phenomenal voice work since then. I was floored by her performance as Val in There Came An Echo (a sadly underappreciated game), and she was easily the best part of Life is Strange as Chloe. Definitely someone I changed my thoughts on after hearing her grow and try new roles.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wish all these good games would stop coming out. Ain't nobody got time for all of that.

I mean...like...I am joking just in case you were curious. But seriously, the first half of this year seems stacked. I love it!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Sony killing it at the moment, looks like they're going to have a strong year all round. I'm not fanboy of either console to be honest but I hope Microsoft have some bigger games this year, looking forward to the new Forza Motorsport game but I can't think of to many others.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, this has been more positively received (at least by the press) than I expected, especially with respect to the story. That's obviously great! I might get this in lieu of Red Dead Redemption 2 when that inevitably gets pushed back to 2018.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've been sold since the first trailer dropped.

Can't wait.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mister_V

Super happy this is reviewing well. The E3 trailer(s)? Had me super excited for this game but a lot of the preview coverage comparing it to Farcry had me a little apprehensive, I like Farcry but was getting a bit tired of it. Can't wait to play this now.

Also glad it seems to have a real good 4K mode as I just splashed out on a new TV.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always been excited for the game but I'm still surprised to hear so much about the story after some of the uh...less than flattering examples from the previews came around.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24  Edited By MachoFantastico

@atastyslurpee said:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've been sold since the first trailer dropped.

Can't wait.

I was excited but not sold, mainly due to the fact that Gorilla Games know how to make great looking games but not always great playing games. So its nice to see GG pulling this off. Happy to hear that it looks splendid on standard PS4's to, I'm sure I'll probably get a PS4 Pro down the line but no reason to yet as I don't own a 4k TV.

The fact that Jeff gave this a 5 star is enough for me to purchase however. Not a game I thought Jeff would be into, let alone like so much. Look forward to hearing more from him.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The variety of locales is what has me really excited for this. I love it when an open world game goes for the multi-biome thing.

Gotta give guerrilla props for going way out of their comfort zone; seems like it has really paid off. Certain developers –in a way– get typecast into making a specific type of game over and over again, which is a tremendous waste of talent.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, didn't expect it to actually get good scores in the end. Cool.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm proud to be Dutch :)

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatness awaits me

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the Farcry game but I have skipped owning any since 3. Seems like a pretty good time to pick up a new one

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Was excited about this, but was half-expecting it to not fully deliver, glad to see it actually seems to be living up to its potential. Can't buy it till it comes down in price though, gah!

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samanthak: Finally we can feel a levelheaded form of national pride not related to football, speed-skating or building dikes! And right on time to lift our spirits damped by the typical drab dutch weather.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2017 is out of control so far. I was fully prepared to pass on this for a while but Jeff's review has me really interested in getting this game sooner.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well this is shocking. Apart from the setting being interesting, none of the trailers have given me any confidence that this was going to rise above being a serviceable, 7/10 "Ubisoft-style open world game not developed by Ubisoft."

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@humanity: To me the game sounds like a sum of its parts type thing. The world, mechanics, setting, etc all working together. I also have some worries about it but I think I will like it at least.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Game Informer gave it an 8.75 too.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#36  Edited By sammo21

@humanity: I really didn't get that Jeff thought any of the gameplay was serviceable. If you hear him talk about playing it he thinks quite the opposite.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mostman

Jeff and Peter Brown both gave glowing reviews? I'm in.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By Humanity

@zevvion said:
    @humanity said:

By all means let me offer an 'Awesome, please take as much as you need I don't want any' in turn.

@sammo21 I honestly don't know what to think from what he wrote. He said controlling the main character (I refuse to use the name because it's just so bad) is immensely fun, but like what is so awesome about it? I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to come off as a person harping on the game before I even played it. Believe me in that I want this game to be awesome and the universal praise is great to hear. I guess I just still haven't really heard what makes it so awesome, and I got burned a few times already on games I wasn't sure of but read a glowing review so decided to give it a go and then regretted it (Mafia 3).

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daaaang, I'm so excited now! I can't wait to play this, this game looks so good.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Too many good games are coming out right when I can't justify buying new $60 games. In two months, we've had Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil VII, Nioh, Yakuza, and Horizon. And then we have Nier, Zelda, Persona 5......God dammit. I mean, great, but also god dammit.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By Zevvion

@humanity: Just wait for the Quick Look though? That's what I'm doing. I have a couple of tight months so while I would want to play Horizon, 60 bucks is currently only reserved for games that are absolute must plays for me. To put it in clear terms, I figured this would be a 4/5 game so I could wait on it. Jeff giving it 5/5 may mean I have to check it out earlier, if I also agree it looks like a 5/5 game. Which is what I need a Quick Look for, reviews don't cut it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ripelivejam

Target tricked me into getting a preorder for this to get a discount on Nioh, so guess i'm picking this up! (well i probably was going to anyway...)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ripelivejam

@efesell: i rewatched the reveal showing and they pronounce it A-Loy which is a little annoying but i'll get used to it. it's just a little on the nose and groan worthy, considering it's a world of robit dinos.

now i'm a bit sad as i thought it released the 21st. too close to zelda for comfort though i may not be getting a switch at launch, so i may still grab this at or near release.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted this game until Jeff B. described it as a Far Cry game. I love the Far Cry games but I just beat 4 a few months ago so I need a break from that style of game for a while. I'll probably pick this up when it's on sale maybe later in the year.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot be any more hyped for this!

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like open world games and this seems like a good one of those.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Man, there are so many good games coming out right now, I can't keep up.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lv4Monk

@zevvion said:
    @humanity said:

I thought she was great in Life is Strange. Dismissed her after Borderlands as a "voice actor without the actor part" but did a total 180 after finding out she was Chloe.

I had a feeling Horizon would be a good game that reviewed well and wouldn't hold my interest for more than a couple hours. Seems like another The Last of Us situation.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#50  Edited By Slag

@humanity said:

It's kinda funny, I had a similiar reaction

When he started invoking FarCry instead of something like Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter, he wasn't saying what I wanted to hear. Granted Jeff I don't think played DD, but FC cut and paste encounters + scrounging for crafting + Towers + collectible pollution are my definition of open world filler. Don't get me wrong I like FarCry, a lot actually, but I have to be in the mood for it and the formula gets beat to death. It got kinda out of control in 3 and seemed even more so in 4.

When I saw the original E3 trailer for H:ZD I got hyped for awesome robo dinosaur fights and it sounds like those might be alright at least.

I still really want to play this, but my expectations have lowered.

I know he doesn't review games, but I'd be curious to know what Jason thinks of this since he plays God Eater etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.