Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Iron Brigade

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 22, 2011

Described as "a game about love," Iron Brigade is a goofy alternate-historical WW1-themed third-person shooter/tower defense mash-up where up to four players take control of hulking bipedal tanks and must endure swarms of television-based robots.

Owner of Trenched Trademark in Europe Entrenches Himself for Trench Warfare Against Microsoft

• 191 results
    djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#101  Edited By djames216

These days, this kind of thing is so routine it almost doesn't seem worth reporting about, even Alex aludes to the fact that various properties get renamed in other regions.  Just give the (Trenched) game a different name already and move on.

Examples of games that were renamed (for whatever reason). 

U.S. Title
    UK / Euro Title
    Indigo Prophecy
    Fahrenheit
    Professor Layton & The Diabolical Box
    Professor Layton & Pandora's Box
    Professor Layton & The Unwound Future
    Professor Layton & The Lost Future
    Broken Sword: Circle of Blood
    Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
    These are just a handful that I thought of off the top of my head.  The point is, this is nothing new or particularly noteworthy.
    bengino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By bengino
    @whatisdelicious said:

@bengino said:

@Vorbis: because people are greedy and would gladly trademark every word in the world in order to make a quick buck. I personally think Trademarks should cover only what it's CURRENT use is for and not what MIGHT eventually happen.

You can't trademark something after it's already out; that makes no sense. Then you run into dumb situations like this. You have to trademark it before you do it and prove you have intent. Everyone is acting like this guy is an asshole for not bending over and giving up his trademark to a property he is currently using and plans to continue using just because they want to see a video game that could be easily rebranded release in Europe. It's stupid.

The guy had to already have been planning the electronic version. You don't just get a developer and a publisher overnight, especially when you're embroiled in a legal mess. iOS versions of board games have been pretty big lately, so it's not far-fetched to think that the guy already planned this game. It might be in the very early stages, but now his hand is forced into revealing it because he needs to prove that yeah, he intends to continue using the Trench trademark in the future.

Just call the game "Drenched" or "Untold Tales: Super Mechs of the Great World War" or "Super Mech Fighting Television Battlefield 120%" or whatever and release the fucking game already before it loses all relevance.

The guy is using it for a board game that he eventually wants to get to platforms... if the game flops (which i think it will) why would any company want to sink money in what could become a pit? Truthfully, a game should become well known before it gets planned as an electronic version. In any case i am not saying that the guy needs to fold like a 2$ ho, but the reality is the guy will probably never go anywhere with any versions of his game.
    zerdune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#104  Edited By zerdune

What is so "utterly baffling" about this news, Alex? These things happen all the time. No need to make this so dramatic. Also it's disgusting to see the typical gamer reaction of attacking this guy for following the proper rules of trademarking. The delay would have probably been averted altogether if Microsoft had checked if the name had been taken already. He has also an existing product and plans to expand the brand unlike Tim Langdell of Edge Games.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#105  Edited By onan

"Doublefine's Trenched"

Done. Battle over. Move on.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#106  Edited By jacksukeru

Not owning a 360 makes this a non-issue for me in either case, but I am curious what other name they could pick for the game ('cause that is what they should be doing).

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By saddlebrown

@bengino said:

The guy is using it for a board game that he eventually wants to get to platforms... if the game flops (which i think it will) why would any company want to sink money in what could become a pit? Truthfully, a game should become well known before it gets planned as an electronic version. In any case i am not saying that the guy needs to fold like a 2$ ho, but the reality is the guy will probably never go anywhere with any versions of his game.

So it's not his right to try and succeed with his established brand just so Double Fine, who caused this whole mess with their complete lack of quick research, won't have to change the name of their game in one territory?

I went to the guy's website and poked around a bit (my own 5 minutes of quick research) and the guy's clearly put some thought and time into this game. It's a pretty unique concept that I found surprisingly cool, and from his descriptions, it sounds like he started developing it in 2009, well before Trenched was ever getting made. Honestly, I find it a little weird that they both deal with WWI and have such similar names. At this point, I'd be more interested in finding out where, exactly, Double Fine got the idea for Trenched.

Everyone's calling him a dick and an asshole for protecting his trademark, or for even making one in the first place, which is completely hypocritical considering everyone just wants to let Double Fine trademark the same word.

People need to stop vilifying this guy and start taking Double Fine and Microsoft to task for a) not doing their jobs and avoiding this whole mess, and b) not owning up to the fact that they fucked up and just rename the game to something more creative than "Trenched," which is a bad name anyway.

DJ_EuroGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By DJ_EuroGhost

Is this an EU thing? Because I had no problem purchasing Trenched right when it came out.

Oh, and I happened to be born in Norway.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Anyone else just really tired of people/companies just being able to trademark words? Trench was a word long before some board game company named a game after it, and now it's a word that will forever require ownership or licensing to actually be used in anything except general conversation.

I don't even blame this Monteiro, they're just following in the footstep of other companies LIKE MICROSOFT who have made it commonplace to take words and make them off limits to anyone else.

I'm not rooting for anyone here except Doublefine, who are obviously losing money as long as Europeans aren't buying their game.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By RenegadeSaint

@LordCmdrStryker: It is my mistake for incorrectly mentioning copyright when in fact the argument revolves around trademark. If I recall correctly, there have been several arguments relating to copyrighting and protecting board games and other game mechanics in the U.S. (Scrabble comes to mind as a major player). This is what immediately crossed my mind, although I realize that it does not apply here.

That being said, I am quite aware of the definition of trench and the fact that a capital T looks different than a lowercase t. However, you make no compelling argument about why his trademark on "Trench" and its derivations does not apply here. Had the game been named, "Down in the Trenches," then it is very likely it would be a non-issue, as that title clearly refers to a location, likely on a battlefield. Simply calling a game Trenched does not clearly differentiate it from a strategy game called Trench. If you have a vast knowledge of international copyright/trademark/IP law and know something that I don't, please correct me. Patronizing links to Merriam-Webster and Wikipedia need not be included.

brassmarsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By brassmarsh

"A Wargame Full of Portuguese Creativity" nuff said

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By alternate

If y'all were not so eagar to play the game already how many would take the side of Microsoft against the little guy.  Three ways Microsoft could settl this very quickly. 

1. Research the trademark beforehand (okay, so time for this has passed). 

2. Re brand the game already. 

3. Take the money you were going to use to re brand and give it to the pissant little board game maker.  I very much doubt it would take much. 

My guess, with so little actual info available, is that MS fucked up with their due diligence and instead of taking the hit and settling with the trademark holder they tried to bully him and he done gone and got himself a lawyer calling their bluff.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#113  Edited By l4wd0g

Europeans are dicks

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#114  Edited By birchman

@DudeOlav said:

Is this an EU thing? Because I had no problem purchasing Trenched right when it came out.

Yep, it's EU. People just don't seem to know the difference between EU and Europe.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By GunslingerPanda

This sounds...

Completely reasonable.

Get over it; Microsoft and DoubleFine fucked up with their laughable handling of this.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Mike76x

Trënched.

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By ScreamingFist

Re-Brand: enTRENCHED

Problem solved.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#118  Edited By Xeiphyer

Why can't they just go ahead and keep it named Trenched, get rid of the derivative copyright argument for Trench. 

I'm sure both parties would be able to go on living, one with a product named Trench, and the other named Trenched. Its been fine in the past.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#119  Edited By Death_Burnout

Someone go fuck this guy in the ear.

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By soralapio

@Bakumatsu said:

Sure. Because a dispute between a guy with a board game and some guys that made a videogame is on the same league that an international debt that has been costing thousands of jobs to the portuguese people and causing cuts in the subsidies that we receive. A debt that we have because of bad political decisions that led to spend money that we didn't have. So, unless you're portuguese don't talk of things you don't know.

Wow, sounds like humor isn't your thing over there. Keep on truckin'!

chadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By chadster

Just call it Drenched and release it already.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#122  Edited By demontium

Trunched

HowDire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#123  Edited By HowDire

@onan said:

"Doublefine's Trenched"

Done. Battle over. Move on.

This.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By alexpiercey

They should call it Psychonauts 2.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By mnzy
    @DudeOlav said:

Well the article said he granted the rights for the European Union. So yeah, probably.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By FlipperDesert

I think the worst thing about this is that I'm beginning to lose interest in getting the game now. After all this legal bullshit is through the game will have been out a long time before it comes out in the UK. If it does, that is.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

The puns, they burn.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By McGhee

The word "trench" should not be trademarkable. Just like the word "edge" should not be. This is why most of the time you will see games that use a common word but they change the spelling to something unique so they can trademark it. But just trademarking any random word is stupid. Hey I'm going to trademark the work "Fight" and now no one anywhere can use it. It's ridiculous.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Damian

I don't know how anyone can read this story and think this dude is anywhere near in the wrong. This one dude had the foresight that neither Doublefine or Microsoft had, and now he owns it. He wins! That's fucking it. Don't be a baby about it. The name is not even that good to begin with.
    And unless MS intends to just throw a bunch of money at him for what he owns, they should do one of two things:
    1. Acknowledge their incompetence, rebrand it and carry on. 
    2. Acknowledge their incompetence, don't rebrand it and don't hit the European market.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ryanwho

Entrenched is a better name anyway. Just call it that.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Liber

Double Fine should hire European assassins to murder that guy.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By TyrellOCP

I'm drafting an email to him right now.

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Sharpshooter

@l4wd0g said:

Europeans are dicks

Not all of us but yeah.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By geirr

@ryanwho said:

Entrenched is a better name anyway. Just call it that.

Hear hear.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#135  Edited By Stahlbrand

Christ, what an asshole.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Sander

Microsoft are dicks. Did we forget the E3 podcast already?

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By saddlebrown

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

The word "trench" should not be trademarkable. Just like the word "edge" should not be. This is why most of the time you will see games that use a common word but they change the spelling to something unique so they can trademark it. But just trademarking any random word is stupid. Hey I'm going to trademark the work "Fight" and now no one anywhere can use it. It's ridiculous.

You can't just trademark a word randomly. That's what people aren't getting. You have to be able to prove that you have intent to actually use that trademark. This guy proved that two years ago when he developed his board game. Double Fine and Microsoft couldn't be bothered to do their jobs and check existing trademarks before they named the game, nor did they check until they were just about to release it.

Trademarks are important, otherwise you'd have twenty different properties coming out all named "Halo" or "Google" or "Star Wars" or whatever and it'd all be a huge fucking mess and all brands would be hurt by it. Just because Double Fine and Microsoft were this lazy doesn't mean the process of trademarking a word is ridiculous.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By FateOfNever

This just continues to make me feel like trademark and copyright laws are becoming more and more outdated for modern times.  Reminds me of when I first found out that they have to refer to Jazz from Transformers as Autobot Jazz sometimes due to trademarking.  

I do wonder if there's some reason why they haven't simply rebranded Trenched yet though.  Also, Drenched would not work for a new name, that joke only applies to pretty much Giant Bomb fans.  I'd be curious to know what all words exactly are covered by his trademark though.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By eezo

What ? i downloaded the game on day 1 and i live in Norway. I hope i don't loose the game or something now ..

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Aishan
    @eezo: It's an EU trademark, it doesn't apply to Norway.
    eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By eezo

@Aishan said:

How does that even make sense? Norway is in Europe..

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Aishan
    @eezo said:

@Aishan said:

It's not in the EU, though.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#143  Edited By fisk0

@eezo said:

@Aishan said:

Norway isn't a member of the EU.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#144  Edited By fisk0

Couldn't they make Trenched a subtitle or something, kind of like how the first Freespace game was titled Conflict: Freespace - The Great War in Europe (edit: the Descent title was US)?

Like MONOVISION WAVE DEFENSE: TRENCHED or something.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ervonymous

I wonder who holds the trademark for 'Nocturne' in Europe, SMT3 goes by the name of Lucifer's Call here. That's also a pretty generic-ass word to take issue with but what can you do.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By august

Trenched: Reckoning.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#147  Edited By sins_of_mosin

So, he trademarked a word, hasn't actually made any product, and is pissy that nobody cared that he trademarked it till now?  Just make a NA account if you really wanted to play the game.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By saddlebrown

@sins_of_mosin said:

So, he trademarked a word, hasn't actually made any product, and is pissy that nobody cared that he trademarked it till now? Just make a NA account if you really wanted to play the game.

Go to his website.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By eezo

@Aishan said:

@eezo said:

@Aishan said:

It's not in the EU, though.

oh rite, well thats just my luck then! :D

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#150  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Ugh. Times like this the governments of the world need to nut up and say "THE WORD IS FUCKING TRENCH YOU CAN'T OWN IT NOW FUCK OFF CHILD."

@Liber said:

Double Fine should hire European assassins to murder that guy.

This is also an option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.