Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Killzone 2 Review Code Sent out already? (Posted from PSU)

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Manachild
    Nearly two months before release, SCEE has sent out review code to media for Killzone 2. LuckyNeogaf member "Sin" was kind enough to post pictures of his lovely Christmas present from SCEE, showing off the whole media kit which includes the game, media assets disc, and an art book.

Check out the pictures below.

According to the Official PlayStation Blog, the upcoming issue of Official PlayStation Magazine will have the first review of Killzone 2. So be sure and pick up the magazine when it hits news stands later this month.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Official Playstation Magazine? I think it's pretty safe to assume that it'll be getting a 10/10.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Manachild
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "Official Playstation Magazine? I think it's pretty safe to assume that it'll be getting a 10/10."
    agreed, i probably wont hold as much stock in that initial review as i might in subsequent ones. Its easy to see how being OPM and this game being first party could cause it to be over scored.
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By roushimsx

Has anyone actually bothered to scan that booklet in yet? Shame that people will use their $200+ digital cameras to take crappy photos but won't shell out the $50-$60 for a decent quality all-in-one flatbed scanner/printer/copier/fax.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By KamasamaK
    Manachild said:
    "Fr0Br0 said:
    "Official Playstation Magazine? I think it's pretty safe to assume that it'll be getting a 10/10."
    agreed, i probably wont hold as much stock in that initial review as i might in subsequent ones. Its easy to see how being OPM and this game being first party could cause it to be over scored."
    OPM is dead, and much of the staff now or at one point worked at 1UP (presumably giving PlayStation games unjustifiably high scores, just kidding). I assume the magazine being referred to is PTOM (formerly PSM), which actually scores out of 5. That's why it's good to read the reviews, unless you think they'll lie there too. I personally take reviews at face value and never assume the editor's integrity must be compromised because of some arbitrary reason for which I have no evidence, but I'm also equally skeptical of all reviews from people with which I am not familiar. Of course there will be people who question high scores from various sources regardless of whether it's legitimately a good game or not. There's even evidence to the contrary where PTOM/PSM gave some big first-party PS3 exclusives lower than or equal to their average scores according to GameRankings; this includes Buzz! Quiz TV, GT5P, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Hot Shots Golf: OoB, Resistance 2, Siren: BC, Warhawk, Uncharted, and they even gave MotorStorm: Pacific Rift a lower score than anyone else. None of the others seem overly high, either.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Manachild

ah ok, i admit that i was basing off of an assumption without knowing that beforehand. IGN definatly would have given R2 a higher score than those guys then.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By fr0br0
    Manachild said:
    "ah ok, i admit that i was basing off of an assumption without knowing that beforehand. IGN definatly would have given R2 a higher score than those guys then."
    Same *Bows head in shame*
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Manachild

If it hasnt been apparent quite yet i'm actually really pumped for this game and have my copy preordered already :D

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

OMFG! Now that I have a PS3 I am going to be able to play this game! Yikes! The next frontier in high-tec shading and lighting is upon us *starts hyperventilating* 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

People on Neogaf have finished the game. One person said "wow, just wow" but obviously can't say anymore. Only other thing I've heard is that the final boss is insane and can take up to an hour to beat.

I'm not sure why the review code has gone out this early though. I realise the Official Playstation Magazine has the exclusive but this feels a wee bit early for the mass media. All it would take would be a couple of 5's and all the hype is dead for this game = another sales flop to Sony.

I can only conclude that Sony must know they have an AMAZING game on their hands and the early review code will hopefully quash any kneejerk "the controls suck" reviews (seeing as this game handles totally different to the likes of CoD etc).

This is going to be an interesting couple of months for the PS3.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NinjaMunkey

Well Hopefully it will get good reviews. Im expecting all AAA to AAAA's from reputable gaming sites.

But even if it gets worse scores im still gonna preorder this game.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Fr0Br0 said:
    dude they still do decent reviews though, event though theyre biased when it comes to hyping games, but if a game sucks or isn't that great, they give the same scores as everyone else. 
    really im just reading this to get all the juicy details about it .
    roushimsx said:
    "Has anyone actually bothered to scan that booklet in yet? Shame that people will use their $200+ digital cameras to take crappy photos but won't shell out the $50-$60 for a decent quality all-in-one flatbed scanner/printer/copier/fax."
    i think he could bet in a lot of trouble for that 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    Official Playstation Magazine gave it 5/5. They also gave Street Fighter IV 5/5.

On Killzone 2:
    They awarded Killzone 2 a perfect score, a 5/5, praising the AI and the realistic environment, and "filled with moments that can handily be described as inspiring awe".  They conclude, calling it a "powerful contender for the best game of 2009".

Is it me or is this way, way too early for the review? I know they had the exclusive and all but the reviews should be dropping at the start of February to help the hype.

I dunno what's going on with Sony's marketing these days *rolls eyes*. I wish they'd just employ me dammit.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Manachild

Well considering 1up was saying it was super polished and 3 months out this makes me happy of other revewiers see the game in the same light, however i hope this isnt just some over statement on a officially sanctioned magazines part..... Lets hope that isnt the case.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
    Manachild said:
    "Well considering 1up was saying it was super polished and 3 months out this makes me happy of other revewiers see the game in the same light, however i hope this isnt just some over statement on a officially sanctioned magazines part..... Lets hope that isnt the case."
    Apparently they've scored Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Uncharted and Warhawk badly in the past so bias may not be in the equation.

I'm looking forward to the uproar when the first site puts out a 6/10 for hits. ;) My bet is on Eurogamer.... but they said the preview build was absolutely amazing so maybe not.

EDIT: More from the review courtesy of Neogaf:

"The buddies alongside you in each battle have been expertly tuned to provide just enough cover and support to actively get your back on occasions, while never making it feel like they could acchieve every objective alone."

"...the believability and consistency are hallmarks of the Killzone 2 expereince. None of the circumstances, weapons you find, locations you visit, or frankly any of the details in the world feel arbitrary. The world is consistently realized in its unappealing flavor."

"...filled with moments that can handily be described as inspiring awe"

- bots in offline multiplayer "perform pretty well"

"Without a doubt Killzone fans, action, and shooter fans of any stripe will isntantly tag this sequel as a powerful contender for teh best game of 2009"

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By KamasamaK

I guess if it's done and they're confident in the quality then there shouldn't be any problem with sending out the code. If the review is accurate, then it seems like they didn't send it out too early. Apparently Street Fighter IV was reviewed in the same issue and it's only being released a week earlier. From the preview coverage I have seen/heard, there's no doubt that the game will be good, but the question is will it be great and will the online be compelling enough to draw people away from other games.

get2sammyb said:

"Is it me or is this way, way too early for the review? I know they had the exclusive and all but the reviews should be dropping at the start of February to help the hype."
    Magazines often need to do reviews earlier because of the way they're distributed. Actually, it's probably even the February issue that has those reviews.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

Cool case for the game.  I'd like to see more games doing stuff like that.

Oh, KZ2...yeah, that's a game that's coming out on PS3, right?  I'll go ahead and do my usual thing:  it's gonna be a disappointment two weeks after release, just like the first one.  Hopefully, though, I'll be wrong on that.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Manachild

i dunno, i think this game will be good the controlls might just be a little funky to begin with *shrugs*

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb

Oh Jakob. If I didn't know you were eloquent with words and had a little more intelligence than the average fanboy I would just go ahead and call you a troll. I'll ignore your post as "cautious cynicism" as opposed to "outright fanboy" although I do wonder what your opinion would be if this exact same game was a 360 exclusive/multiplatform. Perhaps you'd be able to forget the fact that the prequel was overambitious for the tech it ran on and accept that the developer was able to realise their intentions after a good number of years of solid work?

Anyway, I couldn't resist posting this:

"BOOM!" and all that...

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    ^^well pin my scrotum to the chair. that looks awesome.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By get2sammyb
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "^^well pin my scrotum to the chair. that looks awesome. "
    It'll look like disappointment in two weeks. You mark my words.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gizmo
    Fr0Br0 said:
    Any lower then 8/10 and people will be fired.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.