Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME2 Felt Like an actioned-up, watered down RPG with fan service

• 62 results
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By asurastrike

I was so excited for Mass Effect 2 prior to it's release. I got my Xbox 360 primarily to play the first Mass Effect, and it is one of the few games that I have played through more than once, and toyed around with the idea of playing through a third time. Which is why I was immensely saddened when I brought home my copy of Mass Effect 2, and was subjected to an actioned-up, watered down RPG, which suffered from the "bigger, better and more badass" sequel syndrome, with entirely too much focus put on fan service.

1. The game, while not being linear, is completely formulaic; go to planet and save Character-X, after you save characters Y and Z, character X has a loyalty mission invariably involving daddy issues (seriously)
    2. There are too few weapons and armor to choose from in the game
    3. Land on a planet, Asari walks up to me "remember when you saved that Rachni Queen? Well cool, now I work for her and we do stuff. What? No you can't actually see her and your actions don't really effect the game beyond this pointless conversation. Done? Cool."
    4. 99% of your decisions from the first game have virtually no impact on the story whatsoever 
    5. Mining is incredibly boring
    6. Iconic locations, such as the citadel have been massively scaled down
    7. The game emphasizes shooting over role playing, but it's still not as good a shooter as a game like Gears of War 
    8. Your ally AI is terrible
    9. The story really lacks a sense of urgency or importance
    10. Loading screens with "Your decisions will impact the world in Mass Effect 3" are not a solution to long elevator rides
    11. Having to suffer through a loading screen and a long hallway just to hear Garrus say "I'm in the middle of something right now, can it wait a minute?" gets old fast
    12. The insanity difficulty is unbalanced, as illustrated by your teammates dying within seconds of each battle 

I do think the game is good. The graphics are great, the art is nice, the voice acting is top knotch, and the universe is very interesting, but man, was this sequel so disappointing from a developer who got it so right with ME1, and Dragon Age. Some people called what happened to ME2 a "trimming of the fat", I think of it more as an amputation of what made the game great.

Anyway, I'm sure you will all disagree with me, but that's fine. Obviously Bioware made the right decision in this new direction for Mass Effect, because it's way more popular than it ever was before. I'll be interested in where they take the third game.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

I do disagree to an extent, but your complaints are well placed. They didn't bother me that much but, 1, 7, and 10 are definitely things they need to improve.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tooPrime

You are role playing as a guy who likes to shoot stuff!  I love Mass Effect 1 but the complaining list for that game is three times as long.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By asurastrike
    @tooPrime said:
    " You are role playing as a guy who likes to shoot stuff!  I love Mass Effect 1 but the complaining list for that game is three times as long. "
    Maybe, but my complaints with the first game were lesser because a) it was the first game, and I assumed they would be addressed in the sequel, and b) most of my complaints were minor, such as the Mako controls, the inventory system, and the pop-in/slowdown, all of which I could live with because the rest of the game was so fantastic.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

I like how people think that ROLE PLAYING (like, you know, in PLAYING A ROLE) is all about stiff mechanics, tables and numbers. Especially amusing when you realise that a stiff, too-close-to-a-D&D-cRPG mechanic never really worked in the first Mass Effect.

Also, the complain about ME2 lacking a sense of urgency is probably the weirdest ever.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust
    @Asurastrike said:

" @tooPrime said:

" You are role playing as a guy who likes to shoot stuff!  I love Mass Effect 1 but the complaining list for that game is three times as long. "

Maybe, but my complaints with the first game were lesser because a) it was the first game, and I assumed they would be addressed in the sequel, and b) most of my complaints were minor, such as the Mako controls, the inventory system, and the pop-in/slowdown, all of which I could live with because the rest of the game was so fantastic. "
    While i agree with you about the second - being actioned-up, watered down RPG with a lot of fan-service - the first ME felt really boring, also the universe and the way the plot develops were underwhelming. 

The second one felt more cohesive, and interesting. :p
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By asurastrike
    @Ghostiet said:
    "

I like how people think that ROLE PLAYING (like, you know, in PLAYING A ROLE) is all about stiff mechanics, tables and numbers. Especially amusing when you realise that a stiff, too-close-to-a-D&D-cRPG mechanic never really worked in the first Mass Effect.

Also, the complain about ME2 lacking a sense of urgency is probably the weirdest ever.

"
    I'm not so concerned with Mass Effect having stiff mechanics, as I am with the fact that I used the starting weapon and armor throughout the entire game without any real reason, or ability to upgrade. Sure, that armor was whatever color and pattern I wanted it to be, but I much preferred having the many different armors from different manufacturers, much like in Borderlands. In fact, I feel like Borderlands was a much better "RPG" than Mass Effect 2. I feel a lot more connected to my level 47 Hunter Mordecai, than I do to my I-forget-her-level-and-name Shepard.
    Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Noted

I can agree with most of what you're saying, but when I played through ME2 the first time I was so absorbed in the game I barely remembered to eat and sleep.

SefaRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SefaRed

Here's a good article about the good and bad of ME2.

http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2010-01-30-the-best-and-the-worst-of-mass-effect-2-spoiler-safe

I agree with all the points the OP made. While I enjoyed it a lot, I couldn't help being dissapointed by it. I was hoping for another long, absorbing, typical Bioware RPG. Maybe I need to play through it again without those expectations. I just think we who enjoyed ME1 find it hard to adjust to the shift in tone of ME2. It's almost as if Bioware wanted to appeal to a different audience.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By penguindust

I don't know how you can say the AI was better in ME1 than in ME2.  In ME1, I had to make sure my party members were even using the right firearm.  I'd catch Tali using an assault rifle even though she's got 10 points in pistols or shotguns.  Additionally, in ME2 Miranda would team off my powers so if I sent out a singularity, she'd follow through with a warp and *boom*.  Is the game actioned up?  Yes, since the shooting was broken in the first game and has been fixed in the sequel.  I agree that the mission structure was too formulaic in that (A) assemble team, (B) loyalty missions, (C) enter the relay.  But, it's that streamlining that creates the urgency in my opinion.  How can I dilly-dally around the universe like in other RPGs and not keep that sense of encroaching doom?  You could play Oblivion and barely touch the main story and yet you are supposed to save the world from invasion.  Finally, no one is going to argue that the mining was incredibly boring but I'll take that over the MAKO missions any day. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I was initially disappointed as well, but the way I see it now, Bioware had two options: 

a) Go all-out RPG and cater to roleplaying sci-fi fans
    b) take the action route and cater to the broad idea of a video gamer who just wants to shoot stuff and look at some hot TNA

They chose the latter, and why not? With Dragon Age, there is a proper RPG out there to scratch that itch, Mass Effect 2 is just trying to offer a fun action ride - and yes, I don't think it classifies as a RPG in a stricter sense, the labels "Action-Adventure" or "Action-RPG" (if you are really desperate) are better fits, I think. Of course, why label it at all?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

what are they supposed to do to the loading screens, exactly? at least the loading screens in ME2 didn't take fuckin minutes (dragon age...)

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By asurastrike
    @SefaRed said:

" Here's a good article about the good and bad of ME2. http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2010-01-30-the-best-and-the-worst-of-mass-effect-2-spoiler-safe  I agree with all the points the OP made. While I enjoyed it a lot, I couldn't help being dissapointed by it. I was hoping for another long, absorbing, typical Bioware RPG. Maybe I need to play through it again without those expectations. I just think we who enjoyed ME1 find it hard to adjust to the shift in tone of ME2. It's almost as if Bioware wanted to appeal to a different audience. "

That's actually a great article. I love the Short Review "fightin’s better, writin’s worse."
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Asurastrike said:

" @Ghostiet said:
    " I like how people think that ROLE PLAYING (like, you know, in PLAYING A ROLE) is all about stiff mechanics, tables and numbers. Especially amusing when you realise that a stiff, too-close-to-a-D&D-cRPG mechanic never really worked in the first Mass Effect.
    Also, the complain about ME2 lacking a sense of urgency is probably the weirdest ever. "I'm not so concerned with Mass Effect having stiff mechanics, as I am with the fact that I used the starting weapon and armor throughout the entire game without any real reason, or ability to upgrade. Sure, that armor was whatever color and pattern I wanted it to be, but I much preferred having the many different armors from different manufacturers, much like in Borderlands. In fact, I feel like Borderlands was a much better "RPG" than Mass Effect 2. I feel a lot more connected to my level 47 Hunter Mordecai, than I do to my I-forget-her-level-and-name Shepard. "

I'll tell you why you went through the game with one weapon and armor - because it was more than enough. In the first one, you had tons of useless crap that barely changed in terms of damage and defense, not to mention the fact that 90% of them were useless from the start, also because it lacked any special abilities. There was no thrill in getting your guns and armor in ME1, in contrary to the mentioned Borderlands or Diablo. Unless you liked digging in generic "Hydra III" equipment and pressing the "turn into omni-gel" button all the time, while browsing through the HORRIBLE inventory screen.

Also, no. You feel that Borderlands was a much better "hack'n'slash" than ME2, which is true. In most cRPGs, like Neverwinter Nights, Drakensang, Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate you get the same stuff in every major encounter. In Diablo, Torchlight and Borderlands, it's random.

You have a very twisted - and, basicly, wrong - view of what a cRPG is, mistaking the term for hack'n'slashes and MMO's. Those games can survive solely on the loot-hunt. cRPGs without a deeper combat system and a great story struggle. ME2 has that.

Mass Effect 2 has faults and not-too-insane concepts - some of which you even highlighted, like the fact that ME2 took a pretty drastic way to handle the first one's failures. It can make a nice discussion, but at the time, you are complaining that your dog is not a cat. Which makes me think that you didn't even know what you were buying in the first place, as you seem to look for thrills that are totally not the series focus, and consider what the first ME failed at the best points.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder

Hm, agree with most of this. Especially 1, 3/4, 5, 8, 9.

About "9. The story really lacks a sense of urgency or importance", to me it kind of felt as though the stuff about the collectors was the side quest and the loyalty missions were the actual story. "Let's fly all over the galaxy, to some random planets and solve problems for some people I just met, which invariably involves shooting things, covering behind chest high walls, and shooting more things. Oh and if we have time we should probably also save the galaxy from evil aliens..."

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BeachThunder said:
    " Hm, agree with most of this. Especially 1, 3/4, 5, 8, 9.

About "9. The story really lacks a sense of urgency or importance", to me it kind of felt as though the stuff about the collectors was the side quest and the loyalty missions were the actual story. "Let's fly all over the galaxy, to some random planets and solve problems for some people I just met, which invariably involves shooting things, covering behind chest high walls, and shooting more things. Oh and if we have time we should probably also save the galaxy from evil aliens..." "
    But what's the alternative? An overall timelimit and/or timed QTEs? Doesn't sound fun to me.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Clinkz

How on earth did you like Mass Effect 1 if you hated Mass Effect 2. In my opinion it was the other way around while 2 was much better, I played through 1 twice and it was unplayable.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Turambar

Numbers 3 and 4 are the reasons why I think anyone that heaps praise onto Bioware because they give you "choices" are deluded.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

On Insanity and you will see the difference it makes in what weapon you choose and how much you upgrade it. 

Sure, you may have armor that only has maybe 5% increase to biotic powers. But if you equip a helmet, shoulders, chest, and greaves with all +5% power damage, you have yourself +20% damage. You need to do things like that to survive on insanity. Every little bit counts and it all adds up. Each type of weapon and armor has it's use and that's for more than you can say for ME1.

And about the loading screens - what do you expect them to do? So in the first game there was a live loading screen with an interactive camera and sometimes you get to hear your squadmates talking. People didn't like that, and then they made an actual loading screen in ME2. Now you don't like that either... What they hell are they supposed to do? Cut them some slack jeez.  

Number 3 is arbitrary. There is already more than enough content in ME2, and Bioware felt like they needed to save some things from the first game to carry directly into the third, even though most other decision will carry over from the first via the second. I am glad they did this, so now we have things from both games to look forward to in the third. 

Number 1 - the game is based on it's characters, and the game is about recruiting said characters. What do you expect recruiting members means? Putting an ad out in the classifieds and waiting until they come to you? How else would they have done this? There are plenty of twists in each recruitment and loyalty mission to make what you're saying extremely over-simplified. 

4 - You do realize that there were over 700 things carried over from ME1 to ME2? They had to make a game that people who haven't played the first can still pick up and play, while making the optional Character Import feature exciting for fans to see the universe in a different way. I know that for me, it was awesome walking in and NOT having Liara hug me. It was awesome seeing Wrex sit on his rightful throne. It's silly to assume they can change the main storyline to any major extent when some people haven't even played the first game.

Adanux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Adanux
    @Turambar:  Ugh, what you're saying doesn't make any sense. The game does allow you to make choices and those choices do carry over. Complaining because they're all relevant to the main story is stupid because most of those choices would have no place in the story of Mass Effect 2.
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By s7evn

I would agree with a lot of what you posted, but I still believe the game is amazing. The game had great polish and I enjoyed losing myself in the experience.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Jost1

Do you really, REALLY expect a game without loading? What are you smoking dude.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turambar
    @Adanux:  When the end result of all those choices I made in ME1 resulted only in whether I could convince Saren to shoot himself in the head or not, having none of them make any meaningful appearance in ME2 with the exception of Wrex, when all the choices in DA:O result in nothing but the various armies I could call for in the final areas of the game, and and having the expansion again make no use of them in any meaningful way, the fact that you people praise Bioware for weighty choices is hilarious to me.  Bioware should be praised because it does a marvelous job with the dialogue in its games.  The choices?  Not by a long shot.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Ghostiet said:
    "

"
    I'm not so concerned with Mass Effect having stiff mechanics, as I am with the fact that I used the starting weapon and armor throughout the entire game without any real reason, or ability to upgrade. Sure, that armor was whatever color and pattern I wanted it to be, but I much preferred having the many different armors from different manufacturers, much like in Borderlands. In fact, I feel like Borderlands was a much better "RPG" than Mass Effect 2. I feel a lot more connected to my level 47 Hunter Mordecai, than I do to my I-forget-her-level-and-name Shepard. "
    Shooter is the fun part.  RPG just gets in the way of the space fun to be had.  Therefore, the RPG elements had to be streamlined to the betterment of the experience on the whole.  Games are meant to be entertaining and while I can see you point about the streamlining of the RPG elements, it's still an RPG just less seriously so.  Boredomlands is an FPS with RPG mechanics via loot grinding. It's also nowhere near as developed as ME in terms of story, characterisation or landscape.   It doesn't need to be because unlike ME2, Borderlands is a loot grinder.  I think you'd enjoy Torchlight more than ME2.
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

The game is excellent. That's all that counts. I couldn't care less what genre is does or doesn't fit into. Life's to short to dwell on such minutiae.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Asurastrike:  My problem with ME2 is that while I really enjoyed the game (and it kinda makes it hard for me to play ME1 now) in retrospect it all felt like a dress rehearsal for ME3. Essentially all one does in the game is recruit party members, and while they have somewhat more developed backstories than most, where is the rest of the game? If ME2 was simply a full-on shooter with a deep story, its lack of customisation options and genuine exploration would be fine, but as it's still not a top-tier shooter mechanically it ends up being not particularly accomplished as either a shooter or RPG. It's about as superficial a RPG as they've ever made, in terms of having postage-stamp size cities, needle in a haystack side quests, etc. What I liked about Mass Effect 1 was how the world, the interaction between the races, etc. seemed fleshed out, which they didn't develop in the sequel at all.
    theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theduke

the game was incredibly fun but to me the biggest disappointment was the little rpg elements it had and how even those didn't really matter at all either

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By Atlas

It's a weird thing, but I loved ME2 at the time. I was super immersed in it and felt it was a truly outstanding game, one that almost crafted an entirely new genre. But I more I look back on the experience, and the more I attempt to play through it a second time, the less fondly I judge it. I agree with the OP on several points, especially 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 11. For me it's mostly down to personal preference. BioWare did such a good job of blending action and role playing with Mass Effect 1, a game that should be remembered more fondly because it's so damn good, but they took it too far away from RPG mechanics with ME2.

I do feel like they were trying to dumb it down, so it would appeal to a broader audience, and obviously it worked. Jeff and Ryan, who are almost exclusively dumb action game fans, lauded that game above any other RPG-esque experience in years. Whereas personally, I think BioWare did incredibly well bringing the old school RPG into the modern era with Dragon Age, and that that is the best RPG in recent years, although I still rate Oblivion higher for this generation. The argument of "well Dragon Age is for hardcore RPG fans and Mass Effect is for action fans who like dialogue and good writing" makes a lot of sense, but as someone who likes RPG's more than action games, I wanted both games to be for RPG fans like me. BioWare has spent well over a decade crafting impeccable RPG experiences, and that pedigree shows through in Dragon Age. Mass Effect is them trying to evolve in a direction that is not suited to their talents, and while they've created an action game that is significantly better than almost every other action game that came before it, it just not as satisfying of an experience because the combat is too awkward.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mutha3

I think   the game has really something good going there in its narrative.

I do agree, that the part where you're actually playing it is........not very  excellent. I'm only 10 hours in so maybe the game gets deeper? I hope so, I'm liking it  a lot.

Though juggling this and Strange Journey when I really don't have much free time  right now is probably not a good idea:(

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Atlas said:
    "But I more I look back on the experience, and the more I attempt to play through it a second time, the less fondly I judge it."
    I hate to say it, but I kind of agree.  I really can't figure out why, but I've fallen out of love with it pretty quickly.  I kind of had the same response when I tried to go back and replay ME1 before ME2 came out, and it almost caused me not to buy ME2.  So, I think by the time ME3 comes out, maybe I'll be in the right mood for Mass Effect again.  But you're right, I totally look back more fondly on Dragon Age than Mass Effect.
    SefaRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SefaRed
    @Atlas: 

I agree completely. I think, for me anyway, Mass Effect 2 lives in the shadow of Dragon Age. After playing DA:O and seeing the kind of rich, deep and replayable RPG's Bioware can make, Mass Effect 2 seems very shallow. I expected to go into Mass Effect 2 and not leave for months afterwards, but I finished it once in about 30 hours and have no desire to return. Dragon Age on the other hand, according to my Steam community page I've played that game for nearly 400 hours. Four hundred fucking hours! And I'm still finding stuff I haven't seen before, even if it's a bit of dialogue.

I tihnk Bioware's mistake was making ME1 an RPG and then veering too wildly away from that in ME2. It's too much of a shift in expectation for poeple who wanted ME2 to be more like that, but even better.
    frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By frankfartmouth

I get what you're saying, but I think some of your disappointment can certainly be chalked up to sequel-itis. Anytime a successful game shakes things up a bit, makes some tweeks, some hardcore fans of the original are going to dislike it a bit just because it isn't imitative of the experience they had first time around. Which makes sense from your perspective, just not from Bioware's, because by and large, the changes they've made have been praised by the gaming and critical community.  

As for me, I think it is better than the first, although I do agree with you on a few points. The inventory is a bit too sparse. I didn't really find myself giving a shit about my weaponry, but that's kind of a wash because the inventory was too bloated in the first one. The game is more or less a heavily storied shooter now, and yes, it's not quite as good a shooter as something like Modern Warfare, but Modern Warfare obviously has nowhere near as good a story as ME2; each game works as a whole, breaking chunks of off them and comparing the pieces doesn't illuminate very much. The story in ME2 is the main draw, and the other elements of the game work well to support and enhance it.  

And overall, I thought the story was better. Totally disagree that it lacks the verve of the first.       
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Atlas
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Atlas said:
    "But I more I look back on the experience, and the more I attempt to play through it a second time, the less fondly I judge it."
    I hate to say it, but I kind of agree.  I really can't figure out why, but I've fallen out of love with it pretty quickly.  I kind of had the same response when I tried to go back and replay ME1 before ME2 came out, and it almost caused me not to buy ME2.  So, I think by the time ME3 comes out, maybe I'll be in the right mood for Mass Effect again.  But you're right, I totally look back more fondly on Dragon Age than Mass Effect. "
    See, that's the REALLY strange thing for me. I replayed ME1 last week in order to import a character into ME2 (couldn't do it first time around because the only character I beat ME1 with was called Miranda Shepard, and you can't have two Mirandas in the same game, right?), and actually thought it held up really well. Technically it's pretty crappy but then it always was, and the cinematic stuff holds up really well. The RPG mechanics are still really cool, and the game world feels just as expansive as ME2. That said, I did feel that having played ME2 and Dragon Age, the characters were weaker. The only characters I still enjoyed touring the galaxy with were Tali and Liara. Ashley is well crafted in that she is almost completely unlikeable, Garrus feels like a total non-character in ME1, Kaiden as well, and the cult of Wrex has ruined any feelings I ever had for the character, especially in comparison to Grunt.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Whisperkill

No

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tortoise

Personally I like RPGs that are primarily about playing and inhabiting a character and influencing events and thats true whether the gameplay element they add to that is a very competent shooter with some squad tactics or an old school number maximisation spreadsheet. The choices you make in the story don't all have to get called back later to matter, they matter enough simply because of how your actions define your character and who you are. Thats the point of the game.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Shadow

Better buckle up, bitch, cause the action's up and the water's down!

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Atlas:  I think the best way to sum it up is that Mass Effect was a good stepping stone for a better game that never got made.  I agree that a lot of it holds up pretty well, and I definitely have fonder memories of it than Mass Effect 2 at this point, but I did end up eventually replaying it after ME2 came out (to make a female Shepard) and I can't really say that I'd rather play that than ME2.  

Interestingly enough, as much as I hated Ashley the first few times I played Mass Effect when it originally came out (the horrible character model doesn't help), upon replaying it I think she actually has the most interesting things to say of all of the crew.
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Atlas
    @SefaRed:  You know what, what you said about ME1 being "too much" of an RPG rather than ME2 not being enough of one is actually a really good point, and one I wouldn't have thought of before. However, if they'd have done that I wouldn't have enjoyed ME1 so much. So it's a good way to manage expectations, but if you take the RPG goodness out of ME1, then the awkward combat and dodgy technical stuff becomes unbearable.

I still think that the biggest mistake they made was indeed with the inventory stuff. Sure, that stuff wasn't seamlessly integrated into the first one, but taking it all away does rather strike me as trying to cure a ingrown toenail by cutting off the whole foot.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Driadon

Some things I agree with: the urgency of the main plotline, especially compared to the first, is toned down, but the actual role-playing (I'm not talking about what videogames usually constitute as "role-playing elements" like leveling and loot, but rather the aspect of role-playing your character which is rarely expanded upon in games outside of tabletop) in the game, I found, to be much much better. Nearly all the choices I remember from the first where taken into consideration in the second Mass Effect which really amplified the experience, from receiving emails from just about every freaken person I talked to in the first, to that little Rachni hint, which I thought was a great subtle touch to remind the player about what they did while leaving that plotline planned for the third.  

So, tl;dr: if you want to track your level and get loot, play Borderlands. If you want a rich, role-playing experience, play Mass Effect 2.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gike987

One thing you didn't mention  that annoyed me is the "Mission complete" screen. The game really tries to make an immersive and cinematic story but at the same time they show you a screen that basically screams "this is a game!" after every mission.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By belaraphon

i liked the part where the whole game wall less RPG and more action space adventure.  

seriously. down with inventory management and the litany of other bloated crap games with the title "RPG" tack on to try and make people think it is some type of magical genere.  if i wanted to play a game like that i'd fire up my copy of item menu  and stat simulator 2006.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ClownDetective

I doubt anyone would agree with me but I thought the dialogue in the game was actually pretty poor. The voice acting does a good job of making conversations entertaining enough, but with few exceptions there was so much exposition and the writing was so generic. If they had text boxes instead of voices I think people wouldn't rave about the dialogue so much.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Skald

It's a third-person shooter made by a company with a lot of experience doing RPGs. Deal with it. 

I'd like you to name some games you like, as I am sure they have small faults too.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

There is always someone who will nit pick a game, good or bad... While I agree there are some "blah" things about ME2, It still didn't ruin the game for me, and I pretty much put it out of my mind while i play

Avatar image for keystone_yinzer
    Keystone_Yinzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Keystone_Yinzer
    @extremeradical said:
    " It's a third-person shooter made by a company with a lot of experience doing RPGs. Deal with it.  I'd like you to name some games you like, as I am sure they have small faults too. "
    No Caption Provided
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kishan6

pretty much true but that doesnt stop it from being an awesome game

iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By iiNF3RNo

99% of your actions from first game dont affect second game? are u serious

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#48  Edited By borgmaster

The problem was that it wasn't a worse game, it was just a very different game. They changed it so fundamentally that they left behind a bunch of genre fans who are now bitching up a storm. Having a specific and inflexible taste in games doesn't make ME2 worse than ME1, deal with it.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lambert

And it is still better than all of the other RPGs out there.

Funny how that works.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It felt like a 95% gamerankings game, not a 94% or 93% (plz don't tell me to think for myself and don't go by gamerankings, I was just trying to prove it's a good game) There all complaints from the first game was adressed and you get alot more gameplay this time around for your money. It's the game of this generation imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.