Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME2 Felt Like an actioned-up, watered down RPG with fan service

• 62 results
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ryanwho

People want shooters with RPG elements. Turns out Hexen 2 was actually an RPG ahead of its time instead of a shooter with RPG elements, if something like Borderlans or ME2 counts as an RPG these days.Its fine if you like that shit, just don't try and pass it off as something its not.

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By voodooterror

i agree with pretty much all of that, but its still my fave game in recent years 

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By jmrwacko

I played through the game twice, and am gearing up to play it a third time when all the DLC is released, on the sole basis that the classes are all very fun and unique, and there are lots of different combinations of moral decisions you can make that affect the storyline. So I'll have to disagree with you that the game's watered-down or action-only.

Also, your AI partners don't immediately die if you spec them right. Like any rpg, ME2 is about min-maxing at high difficulties.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By RobotHamster

Nice list, at least you don't just say I don't like it and leave it at that.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By sopranosfan

I think that the game improved on the first in almost every way.  The thing is the first game was an RPG with shooter elements and the second one is a shooter with RPG elements.  I thought they did a fantastic job with the cover system and I would go as far to say it was the best cover system I have played.

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Spam101

i agree. i didn't even have a problem with the mako.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Necrotrophic

Why does it matter that its less RPG like from a gameplay stand point? RPGs have really stupid gameplay elements anyway. Mass Effect 2 is just as much story driven as ME1, it just has better gameplay and art. So what if you can get 800 different types of ammo to ignore? I think ME2's gameplay is better than gear of war, which was an absolute joke of a game. The hardest part of gears of war is fighting the walls/cover mechanic. Mass effect seems to have a better system in place, which has a similar intent.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By animateria

It's a third person action adventure with some RPG elements.

It's not watered down, the RPG element's aren't the focus of the game.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By Jedted
    @Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
    "The game is excellent. That's all that counts. I couldn't care less what genre is does or doesn't fit into. Life's to short to dwell on such minutiae. "

Amen to that!  I abolutly loved ME1 and while there's a lot of stuff i wish they kept in ME2 i still think it's a great game.  No other game i've played provokes the same level of emotion with it's dialog and thought provoking choices. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By CL60
    @Lambert said:
    " Holy shit! This guy just described Final Fantasy 13.  Wrong forum, idiot! "
    Holy shit! You're a troll. Wrong message board, idiot!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Asurastrike: 
    Well though out and constructive criticism I agree with on almost all counts.
    The only stuff I would debate is:
    6. Well the locations in first one are not that big either. I think sizes and scope are pretty similar. even the big ones in the first one were kinda tricky and actually not that big. Plus Mako made thing seem bigger too. Overall scope does seem a bit smaller, but I don't think by much. On the plus side no more copy pasted prefab buildings
    10. Loading screens are actually not that bad. The problem is related to what you mentioned in 11th point. I think they could have toned down they frequency.

Rest is pretty much on point.
    I do also think the game is good. I would even call it above good bordering on excellent.
    Just to me all those small issues add up and prevent it from becoming truly great. As is ME2 is kind of over rated atm.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By niamahai

I know this is wishful thinking, but for Bioware to change the formulatic "Go Planet X > Recruit Y > Bang Y x repeat 10 times", they would have totally rewrite the code for the game.  Which would mean ME3 won't happen in 2011.

I only hope they can make the shooting more faster and be a lil' bit more creative in level design.

For instance:
    In Splinter Cell: Conviction, the spots where you can climb, hide behind are seamlessly integrated to the environment. It looks natural compared to ME2's "hey here's a a lot concrete slap along this pathway where i can hide behind tee-hee"

ME's greatest triumphant imo is the ability to convey to the player an entire universe solely relying on the dialouge system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.