Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Character Face Import

rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rustyspoon

Well this is certainly a bummer.

Xbox ME3 sees my save and has all my previous decisions correct, but my "Imported Face" isn't my Shepard at all! It's straight up the same character model as the default. It's not a huge issue, but it kind of breaks the immersion right off the bat as I've put almost a hundred hours on that mug to lose it now. I can't imagine that voice coming out of anyone but my old, gruff, battered and beaten Shepard.

Anyone else having this problem?

edit: After digging into the issue, it's apparently a problem anyone who played a character in ME1, imported to ME2 and then imported to ME3 will have. ME1 characters don't have "character codes" which were created for ME2. Here's a work around:

http://fuckyeah-masseffect.tumblr.com/post/18171019818/importing-your-me1-sheps-face-into-me3

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

Really I mean come on?

rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rustyspoon

@big_jon: What bothers me is the fact that it says "Hey, here's your dude from your save." But it's not. Is it really so strange to wonder if that's not a little messed up?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

Yeah, it sucks, but there are like three threads about this already, you might find help in one of those.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By lclay
    rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rustyspoon

Ah, didn't scroll down far enough..

Kingloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Kingloo

BioWare literally fucked up Job #1.

In a series about choices mattering across multiple games, job-FUCKING-one is to make sure that save importing is goddamn flawless. Shabby.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By devilzrule27

This is moot for me since my xbox broke while playing ME2 and I have since jumped to the PS3 version of Mass Effect but this is just silly. Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play as your character. Bit of an oversight by the Bioware folks but at least there is a workaround.

rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rustyspoon

@devilzrule27: I'll definitely pour one out for your xbox/Shepard. The best part of this whole affair is once I found and followed those instructions, I extracted (from my ME2 save file) all the values for my character and manually created him in ME3. Got values for each of the sliders and the results were almost identical. I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than I know, but the data's all there...wonder why Bioware couldn't figure out a way to get at it?

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By joshthebear

Seriously Bioware? And they wonder why people have lost faith in their company.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Samaritan

It seems, at least from what I've read on other sites, that this issue is specifically in regards to players who made a Custom Shepard in ME1, imported him/her into ME2 and then are trying to import that same character into ME3. I can hope that this is the case, as I just spent 80+ replaying both ME1 and ME2 in the last couple of weeks and will be severely upset if I cannot play ME3 because of this, what appears to be, insane oversight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So my face looks perfectly fine, though it completely went out of left field with my hair. My short cut redheaded lady suddenly had long black hair. But that was an easy fix.

Shepard looks a little different, but she doesn't look bad at all.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

My first Shephard, and the one I'll be playing as, was the default male Shephard. My impatience finally served me well.

However, I was much more patient in my second run, but the femshep I made there is ugly and I wanted to redesign her anyway. This still sucks, it should have been in the game, but it's not really an issue for me. Yet.

Avatar image for mustacheride420
    mustacheride420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mustacheride420

Well, it's confirmed, if you imported from ME1, your ME2 character face won't import into 3

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

So weird that a bug like that gets through. I'm sure it will get patched, but that doesn't help the people who are playing it now.

AutoBarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AutoBarn

@Kingloo: @Kingloo said:

BioWare literally fucked up Job #1.

In a series about choices mattering across multiple games, job-FUCKING-one is to make sure that save importing is goddamn flawless. Shabby.

Absolutely. What a dreadful misstep for the trilogy's grand finale.

amardilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By amardilo

My Shepard's face didn't import either. I contacted EA's customer support by email and got the following reply today

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Support regarding Mass Effect 3.
    I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing those problems with your EA game.

Unfortunately, the face of your character from Mass Effect 2 does not transfer to Mass Effect 3 - you have to recreate it again.

We apologise for any inconveniences caused.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

This doesn't sound very good. I spent a while in ME1 putting together my Shepard and trying to recreate my Shepard seems like it will be difficult and I'll also have a strange thought in the back of my mind that this Shepard (the one I'll have to try and recreate) isn't the same Shepard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.