Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

This is Dragon Age Inquisition.

• 86 results
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

EDIT: Whoops Brain Fart, meant Inquisition. Was thinking about how much I liked Origin.

Every vibe this game throwing out is Dragon Age: Inquisition all over again. With a sprinkle of Ubisoft design expertise. Everything they put out feels completely void of character. A large shallow open world full of grind, is all that I can make out between the lines.Cringe worthy cut scenes. With the cast of the Teenage Power Rangers throwing out edgy dialog with french kissing.

Aggroing large mobs in open area's, jumping around in the open with no regard for tactics. Mainly controlling your hero character mashing out attacks.Not a single combat scenario of team tactics was shown.

Is this all the information? No. But it is what EA/Bioware have chosen to show-off as Mass Effect. I really wish they would of just closed the book on the Mass Effect universe.

But hey people form a different galaxy "I'm Generic North American Actor #3, and I got a Krogan on my team".

dubios451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

are you sure you mean origins? Because...that was the most tactical game bioware has released in the past 15 years

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What are you talking about? Most Bioware fans worship Dragon Age: Origins. People love that game.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Onemanarmyy

And here i thought it was going to be Mass Effect Andromeda.

Ever since Mass Effect 2 , i feel like the series said goodbye to tactical battles and became more of a gears-ish third person shooter. The RPG stuff is mostly relegated to the conversations, creating a character & assigning skillpoints. I think that Andromeda will continue that trend. I just hope that the story is handled well next to the space action stuff that the masses want.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna also wonder if you meant Dragon Age 2 or Inquisition since Origins is one of Bioware's best games and one of the best RPGs out there.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: It is in fact the best non-Mass Effect 1 or 2 BioWare game.

crunchyflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think you might be talking about Dragon Age Inquisition. Origin was AWESOME!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

I wish it was Dragon Age Origins.

generalwalnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people sure want to let the world know how much they shouldn't be excited for whatever thing bioware does, huh

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well at least it's not Dragon Age: Inquisition. I wish it was Dragon Age II though.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes, let me join in on the pile here and point out how silly it is to say DA:O is bad. And for all the flaws of DA: I, it wasn't an open world & it wasn't really shallow either. The first area felt it until you realise doing everything there before moving on was dumb.

Also, are you mad because they aren't making up a bunch of alien languages or using Russian & Italian & Chinese voice actors because it's in a different galaxy? One codex line about a universal translator, your verisimilitude is saved. Honestly, that's such a silly thing. Welcome to commercial realities for a triple A game, the American public tend not to like subtitled media.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generalwalnut: Because for a couple of years there, Bioware could not fail. They were arbiters of quality and immersive experiences.

After the EA acquisition it has been a hodge podge of good games with lesser or greater flaws. There's nothing to indicate that ME:A will be any different. But now it will be compared to other open world games that were of absolutely stellar quality-- Witcher 3 in particular.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age: Origins is a classic to me; I was so into it when I first played it. BioWare made a huge mistake moving away from that in their quest to please everyone, they kind of lost me.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"A large shallow open world full of grind"

"Aggroing large mobs in open area's, jumping around in the open with no regard for tactics. Mainly controlling your hero character mashing out attacks.Not a single combat scenario of team tactics was shown."

I dont know what game you are thinking of, but it certainly isnt Dragon Age: Origins. I could certainly see people make that arguement towards Inquisition, but unless you only ever played Origins on easy (or never played it at all) I dont know what you're talking about.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you sure you're not talking about Inquisition? Because Dragon Age Origins is actually good.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You kinda summarized my feelings of modern Bioware perfectly. Referencing Origin instead of Inqusition so people gets mad makes the rant even better :)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be fair Inquisition is quite good too. don't know why it gets hated so much.

People need to wait and see with this game, it's getting ridiculous.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OurSin_360

Well i will take it you mean Inquisition since you said open world, origins was a great game with tons of character. I agree that this will be similar to Inquisition in story telling and open world, but hopefully they have improved the combat from three and offer a good horde mode multiplayer again. Im honestly not interested in the story anymore after 3 the series felt done.

generalwalnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: That's fine and all, still people are so ready for the next new bioware thing to not be good and really eager to let everybody know how not good they think it is gonna be. It is a bit much.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: That's fine and all, still people are so ready for the next new bioware thing to not be good and really eager to let everybody know how not good they think it is gonna be. It is a bit much.

These threads exists because people deep down still have hopes for a great Bioware game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This game looks bad like NMS looked amazing.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It sounds like you're thinking of Inquisition

Either way I disagree

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game looks bad like NMS looked amazing.

So it will be good then?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@zeik: lol I just mean this doesn't look that bad and NMS never looked that good. Come on folks, let's not do this again...

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Beaudacious

Also I know this game will sell gangbusters, I know there will be hype and drool. It won't be a bad game, It will be mediocre.

And yes while writing all of this, I'm frothing at the mouth, in pure rage. How dare they!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about wait for the game comes out before going out of your way to attack it.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By geirr

I'm sure they'll get it right come Mass Effect Colours or Mass Effect 4 or Mass Effect Racing Transformed or Mass Effect Unleashed: Werekrogan or Mass Effect & Dragon Age at the Olympics..

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If it is indeed anything like Inquisition, then I want nothing to do with it.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I'm reading at a lot of different places, I feel like I watched a completely different trailer. I don't tend to take much from trailers in general, but I didn't watch either of those and think "Wow, this game looks bad."

I get that Bioware is this polarizing company now, but this seems a bit much considering what little we've seen of the game. Also....I liked Inquisition, so feel free to write me off.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: Heck yeah, I could definitely go for some krogan equestrian /dressage.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I dunno, a third person shooter that controls well where you can spend a lot of time grinding sounds fine with me. I just hope that I can turn off the gathering animation without needing a mod. I don't mind running by generic plant A or generic stone B and pushing A to gather whatever useful materials it may have, but I do mind it when you have to stop and watch some damn animation just to pick it up. Because that adds up, especially when there's so much of it. Better yet, let me send the inevitable teammates I don't want around me out to gather a hundred resources.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Inquisition. I'd be happy with this.

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you are drawing conclusions about a 30-50h plus RPG from i don't know, maybe not even 10 minutes of actual footage? damn, i'm impressed.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

There are reasons for skepticism, but you don't win any awards for jumping to conclusions, even if you end up being right.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Inquisition. I'd be happy with this.

word. it had its problems and way too much padding but overall i really enjoyed my time with Inquisition.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen much of anything about this game, but with Bioware games being what they are these days, I've got zero hype for this. If I hear it's really good, I'll look into it. At one point my top 10 games of all time included 4 Bioware games, so it's sad it's come to this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This game is definitely a bit of a "wait and see" thing for me. Inquisition's faux-MMO structure and watered-down combat left me cold, but I'd like to believe that Bioware still has it in them to make games that I enjoy, and unlike Dragon Age they haven't managed to completely cock up Mass Effect yet, even despite ME3.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origins is okay, Inquisition is pretty good. Bioware is meh in general with the notable exception of ME2. Obviously they'd use the Inquisition framework again, the game mostly had positive praise for the first ~3 months before people started dumping on it. Hopefully stuff like this happens in the multiplayer:

Loading Video...

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good to me. Inquisition was a real solid game; albeit over-padded with side content.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite it's problems, I loved Inquisition, so a game that presumably will build upon that foundation sounds like a good idea to me. That said, I've been pretty lukewarm on Andromeda up until recently and I'm not even sure why. That latest trailer managed to get me genuinely excited. I hope it's a great game because, ya know, that would be awesome.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe if you bump the difficulty higher than normal, you will find it more rewarding. Just guessing you're playing on default, as DA:I on higher difficulties really demands use of tactics to a high degree.

Also, you're basing the story of a 40+ hour game on maybe five minutes of trailer dialogue. That's a thing to do I suppose.

I'm gonna circle back to this thread when the game turns out to be awesome and throw you a nice little "I told you so".

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's funny, I wasn't really that excited about Andromeda before I picked up DA:I on a sale couple of weeks ago. 150+ hours in I'm fucking hyped about Andromeda. I fell head over heals in love with DA:I (I didn't like the previous games) and knowing that they have adapted this format to the Mass Effect universe in Andromeda... it's going to be aaa-mazing! So, you know, different strokes for different folks.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman said:

I'm gonna circle back to this thread when the game turns out to be awesome and throw you a nice little "I told you so".

Now that's just petty.

(I've been trying very hard to not go back to those No Man's Sky threads where some people were all like "This is the last game I'll ever buy!" and I was all "They haven't shown anything substantial!" and do the same.)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zaccheus said:

It's funny, I wasn't really that excited about Andromeda before I picked up DA:I on a sale couple of weeks ago. 150+ hours in I'm fucking hyped about Andromeda. I fell head over heals in love with DA:I (I didn't like the previous games) and knowing that they have adapted this format to the Mass Effect universe in Andromeda... it's going to be aaa-mazing! So, you know, different strokes for different folks.

I'm actually more hyped for MEA because of the idea of them using the DAI format. I think having tons to do in an open world will fit ME much better, due to the series having arguably much better gameplay. The main thing that ruined DAI for me is that I didn't like a large percent of the party members, and I didn't like the main story, but both of those things are quite subjective.

I just hope that I enjoy MEA in the areas where I personally feel that DAI could have been a lot better.

Yeah, as much as I'm cautiously optimistic, there is a strange amount of certainty from some people on this topic.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I did not like Dragon Age Inquisition myself, but it was mostly due to its gameplay. I guess it was fine, but it wasn't really want I wanted from it. If you lift Mass Effect gameplay in the same format I doubt I'd be disappointed with the result. I kind of doubt they'll just copy and paste it to that template in such a raw way though, but to be honest I haven't followed any news or updates on Andromeda whatsoever because I want to go in as blind as possible, so I don't actually know.

And here i thought it was going to be Mass Effect Andromeda.

Ever since Mass Effect 2 , i feel like the series said goodbye to tactical battles and became more of a gears-ish third person shooter. The RPG stuff is mostly relegated to the conversations, creating a character & assigning skillpoints. I think that Andromeda will continue that trend. I just hope that the story is handled well next to the space action stuff that the masses want.

Mass Effect 3 had infinitely more tactical gameplay than 2 did. I really wish people were able to appreciate it more, or even see it in the first place. When I'm talking about combo's in that game, most people don't even know what you're talking about. It's one of those rare games that you have to play on the highest difficulty level to be forced to interact with the full breadth of that combat system. Not to mention enemy variety and approach reached its pinnacle as well.

If you want to make a case that the RPG-elements have been faded out, or at least streamlined a bit more than you would like, then sure. I'd agree with that (though I think 2 already did that and 1 didn't have a ton of it either). But the gameplay has only gotten better in that series and in the case of ME3 it absolutely is more tactical and skill-based than either of the other two.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By Humanity

@beaudacious: to be honest most of what you've written makes it sound like you've never actually played Dragon Age Inquisition.

Like the two fine gentlemen above, I too would be more excited if they adopted Inquisitions more open ended and free faring gamestyle to the somewhat rigidly paced way ME games play out.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inquisition was a trash fire and all signs point to this making the same mistakes.

Sara was cool though.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Mass Effect 3 had infinitely more tactical gameplay than 2 did. I really wish people were able to appreciate it more, or even see it in the first place. When I'm talking about combo's in that game, most people don't even know what you're talking about. It's one of those rare games that you have to play on the highest difficulty level to be forced to interact with the full breadth of that combat system. Not to mention enemy variety and approach reached its pinnacle as well.

If you want to make a case that the RPG-elements have been faded out, or at least streamlined a bit more than you would like, then sure. I'd agree with that (though I think 2 already did that and 1 didn't have a ton of it either). But the gameplay has only gotten better in that series and in the case of ME3 it absolutely is more tactical and skill-based than either of the other two.

But that doesn't fit the narrative people are trying to create about Mass Effect being a bad RPG series. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, but they need to rip on as many aspects of the games as possible to make it seem worse than it is. It seems like if Mass Effect 3 had stuck the landing, the entire game (and series) would be more appreciated. Instead, we now have to listen to people claiming the series has no tactical gameplay* or RPG elements, and I really think it all boils how people are (overly) critical about ME3's ending. People are weird.

* I see this sentiment is repeated in the OP about Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I just think to myself, what difficulty are you playing? Like, of course you won't get a lot out of the combat if you're playing default difficulty, but Bioware games get pretty fucking tough if you play them on higher difficulty. Seems like people forget you can change that stuff.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rethla

@bojackhorseman: It gets though in a broken way. Like in "exploit this one op spell to win and the 19 other spells you have is pure crap". Bioware games are not rewarding at higher difficulties.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing that is off the mark with the DA:I criticism for me is that there is this idea that the formula for the game is wrong. Big open areas with lots of quests and points of interest. But you can look at Witcher 3, which is a game with big open areas and lots of points of interest, and love it. Yeah the games are different in other ways, but overall it is that all that side content is done better.

There is of course Bethesda's games as well. There is nothing wrong with the formula this game is using. It's all about execution. To me I don't think DA:I had a good story or enough interesting characters (although there were some good ones). The side content was MMO like because it was shallow (vs The Witcher 3, where side content does not feel that way). The world's were overly static feeling, which adds to the MMO feel people bring up.

Until it comes out we won't know how they did with this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.