Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mega Man Legacy Collection

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 25, 2015

A collection of the first six Mega Man games that comes with a new challenge mode and archival art assets. The first project of the newly reformed game restoration house, Digital Eclipse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced, Due This Summer

• 143 results
    falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By falling_fast

i don't really care about megaman, but that's neat. i might have to pick this up for pc.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I wish they would do a Megaman X remaster, I haven't played any of them and I want to.

Overbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been said before but just 6 games? The collection for PS2/GC had the first 8, plus Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. All for $20. If this is $15 then maybe it gets a pass but there's no way they should charge the same amount for less content than the last re-release, even if they have it in "1080p"

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@overbite said:

It's been said before but just 6 games? The collection for PS2/GC had the first 8, plus Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. All for $20. If this is $15 then maybe it gets a pass but there's no way they should charge the same amount for less content than the last re-release, even if they have it in "1080p"

Capcom wants to get more money from you than they did last time.

austin_walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mantonminnick said:

man, I read "Mega Man Leg..." and I got preemptively hyped

Real talk, I typed "Mega Man Legends Collection" like 7 times while writing this.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I love Mega Man, but I just can't get excited about this. For one, it's not even all of the original series, so like...who fucking cares. Second, I think a Mega Man X collection would be far more exciting at this point. Or hell, do all of the main series and X games in one huge collection. Then we'll be talking.

Also, Legends 1 & 2 remaster, please.

mayor_mccheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, now do one of these for X and Legends (lol) then I'll be on-board.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Since the preservation process involves porting the games to a new engine rather than simply emulating ROMs, it's probably easier to focus on the NES games first.

The Anniversary collection may have contained more games (at a higher price point), but the emulation wasn't great. Hopefully this is as perfect as the new Digital Eclipse wants it to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot understand why this doesn't include 1 through 10.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Cool! I'd like to see something like this for Castlevania.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

WHY NOT FUCKING 10

I bought the Mega Man collection on PS2 so I could play 7 and 8. They both have their issues but they're indisputably part of the main series. I get that they're not 8-bit if that's the trouble.

9 & 10 on the other hand are solid games that aren't on PS4 and Xbox One, are 8-bit, and are already in HD. Since there probably won't ever be an 11 why couldn't you just PUT THE FULL SERIES IN THE COLLECTION WHAT THE FUCK

I'VE ALREADY PLAYED ALL THE NES ONES I DON'T WANT THIS SHIT

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be all over this if it wasn't for the fact that Mega Man is a bad game. Dude can't even shoot up or diagonally. Ain't nobody got time for that.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@zoozilla said:

Since the preservation process involves porting the games to a new engine rather than simply emulating ROMs, it's probably easier to focus on the NES games first.

The Anniversary collection may have contained more games (at a higher price point), but the emulation wasn't great. Hopefully this is as perfect as the new Digital Eclipse wants it to be.

I suspect their "new engine" is an emulator that they can update and port around to different platforms with relative ease. They're probably taking the same approach that a lot of modern emulation packages are using and building front-ends for multiple platforms that can all run a portable emulation core. Their solutions seem focused on making it easy for a rights holder to release their old games across multiple platforms and, like, maximize profits. That's smart! I could be wrong, but the impression I get is that the minute a retro/emulation project sounds like it'll take any real excavation effort on the part of the publisher, it becomes way less attractive for them.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot understand why this doesn't include 1 through 10.

No Caption Provided

They want to sell more collections.

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the arbitrary cut off at 6?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66  Edited By viking_funeral

Mega Man 7 was awful. The collection is fine with the first 6 from the NES, though I would argue that it would be better if it also had Mega Man X 1-3 from the SNES.

Edit — In recognition that this has less that the last collection, I rescind my opinion that the collection is fine with just the first 6 games.

Avatar image for scottygrayskull
    scottygrayskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not terribly impressed. Doesn't immediately look like it adds more than the GC/PS2/Xbox collections did, and those had almost twice as many games. Plus tbh, I fully expect Capcom to ask full price ($60/$40) for it.

I really do hope I'm wrong though and it's something special. What would be absolutely amazing is to have the main series games (originals, X, Game Boy) in a massive collection. Maybe even add others like the Zero games. I'd absolutely pay full price for that. I know that might sound spoiled, but there have been quite a few collections in recent years with 30+ games for a budget price.

DanK_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I believe in Frank Cifaldi.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for this in an uncharted territory sort of way. I know of them and their reputation but have yet to own a Mega Man title. Thanks, Capcom.

kippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By kippers

Nice. Megaman has always beena series I've thought about playing properly from the start. I'll grab this for the 3DS

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not terribly impressed. Doesn't immediately look like it adds more than the GC/PS2/Xbox collections did, and those had almost twice as many games. Plus tbh, I fully expect Capcom to ask full price ($60/$40) for it.

I really do hope I'm wrong though and it's something special. What would be absolutely amazing is to have the main series games (originals, X, Game Boy) in a massive collection. Maybe even add others like the Zero games. I'd absolutely pay full price for that. I know that might sound spoiled, but there have been quite a few collections in recent years with 30+ games for a budget price.

No way they'll ask full price, Capcom isn't stupid. I highly doubt it'll go over $20.

rememberyhorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would guess the reason they are only doing 1-6 is that 1-6 all have the same, or similar core engines. Assuming they are making more than cosmetic updates it could quadruple development costs to make updates of the SNES, PSX, and WII engines in addition to changes to the NES engine.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish this was a comprehensive classic series Mega Man collection including 7 - 10, the arcade games, powered up (the psp remake of MM1), and battle and chase. But I suppose if it is quality versions of the NES games its a step in the right direction. Really would love to see this for the X series games.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

classic mega man isn't my jam but i'm buying this just so capcom can give the x games this treatment

baltimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Love the IDEA of this but not including 7 - 10 is just odd. I wonder if it has something to do with the way those games were programed vs the way they are being emulated here.

Or it could be that Capcom is using this as a starting point and will release the other games in a series 2 collection or as *gulp* DLC.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait till remakes and remasters are called High Quality Game Preservation packs in the future (or shorthanded: HQGP Packs).

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

No X titles, no cleaned up versions of Legends and Legends 2?

This is a giant insult to the legacy of the franchise capcom. You've literally left out the best games. Fuck this shit.

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was going to chalk this up to Capcpom desperately trying to scratch up some cash by diving their own dumpster full of trashed valuables, but Cifaldi's on the case so I have some hope.

Avatar image for scottygrayskull
    scottygrayskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: Eh, even $20 is asking a lot for these imo.

Although again I really do hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be something special.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. I can already emulate the games "perfectly" at 1080p, but maybe if I buy this I'll actually get around to finishing some.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I kind of hope that the museum thing is more than just an image dump. If you're really invested in making "Criterion Collections" for games, then there should be an investment in video interviews, commentary, critiques, etc.

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear publishers,

Put out new games. They don't even have to be that big or expensive. I'll buy them.

Please.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I AM SUPER EXCITED

Y'all got old and salty. This is an awesome announcement! I love the hell out of these games.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take great comfort from the fact that Frank Cifaldi is overseeing the project's emulation fidelity.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, this should include way more than it does.

I'll stick with a NES and not support this. Capcom is getting way too re-release happy.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems interesting.

diehappygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just in time to help drum up excitement for Mighty No. 9 - thanks, Capcom! XD

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could not have a more perfect person for this than Frank Cifaldi.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I'm a big fan of Frank Cifaldi and this is a perfect thing for him to be doing. Awesome!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#90  Edited By penguindust

Coming to 3DS, huh...okay, I'm listening.

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#91  Edited By shodan2020

I still have the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections that they put out on PS2... but I will probably purchase the PC version when it's released. I could see throwing down $30 for it.

It's heartening news that Frank Cifaldi is heading up that preservation division, the man is a legend and has done really great things for game preservation already. He used to be on 1up's Retronauts and while his website has been dark for a few years, he's got retro games in his blood.

BDKMat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to know how the buttons are going to be mapped, and whether it's customizable. Because if I have to play another batch of NES games on my 3DS with A and B mapped to the 3DS's A and B buttons instead of B and Y (or at least A and X), my interest immediately vanishes.

Avatar image for littlerapscallion
    LittleRapscallion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it sad that I'm excited to get this. I own the Anniversary collection...

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Shaanyboi

@slag said:
    @alex said:

@slag: Wii U already has virtual console ports of all those games. My guess? Nintendo didn't want this cannibalizing sales of those ports.

Oh right. That makes sense then. Still feels a bit wrong, even if it's the smart play business wise for Nintendo.

But like... 3DS has VC versions of those games too, doesn't it? Clearly they have zero interest in doing anything on WiiU, considering Revelations 2, REmake HD, and RE0 all skipped the system. Pretty shitty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
    deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did people forget the Anniversary Collection? I mean 7 and 8 are garbage games but still, this collection already exists.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

I am greatly relieved to see I'm not the other person excited to see Frank Cifaldi attached to this endeavor. So glad to see he's gotten into a position to hopefully make a real difference in the industry. I remember reading Lost Levels a decade ago in high school!

Asadasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Asadasa5

@shaanyboi said:
    @slag said:
    @alex said:

@slag: Wii U already has virtual console ports of all those games. My guess? Nintendo didn't want this cannibalizing sales of those ports.

Oh right. That makes sense then. Still feels a bit wrong, even if it's the smart play business wise for Nintendo.

But like... 3DS has VC versions of those games too, doesn't it? Clearly they have zero interest in doing anything on WiiU, considering Revelations 2, REmake HD, and RE0 all skipped the system. Pretty shitty.

It's possible sales on the 3DS virtual console were lower. They also suffer from the inability to remap the controls. The real reason, however, is because we're finally getting a collection of the Game Boy Mega Man games, clearly.

Honestly though, hearing that Frank Cifaldi is involved does raise my interest level in this game, especially in regards to challenge mode.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No 7-10 just screams extreme laziness/cheapness.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

capcom can't make new games :(

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I get a copy of the first episode of the Mega Man cartoon in this one too?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.