Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Gun or light ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxXxPateraxXxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxXxPateraxXxx

Seriously ? Doom 3 anyone ? Not a fan of the either or decision. Why can't these guns come equipped with flashlights. Batteries could be currency. Seems like a cheap way to get some thrills. 

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CaptainObvious

Really? That's just lame. 

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By spaceturtle
    @xxXxPateraxXxx:
    Am I mistaken if I say I belive you are stating that you can either have a gun or a flashlight equipped? Not both?
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By raiz265

i'm scared by dark games :(

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meltac

You have nightvision, so I don't really care.

EDIT: Just checked, and you can have both equipped at the same time.

xxXxPateraxXxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xxXxPateraxXxx
    @SPACETURTLE: 

Yep it looks like you can't have light and firepower at the same time like Doom 3. 

" A staple in most survival horror games, Artyom also has a flashlight to see areas that are too dark. To use the flashlight, the player must crank it up, giving light to the player for short period of time. There's thought involved when you use the flashlight, since when you have it equipped you can't use any other weapon. " -  http://www.giantbomb.com/metro-2033/61-20964/

You know it is fun, there is no arguing that. The whole light juggling game. I enjoyed Doom 3 for some time. It just seems to me that its been there and done that again, just a new coat of paint. I would rather have seen you have a  light mounted to your gun, head, shoulder, rear end, wherever really and simply have to maintain it with batteries. You could have it so there was no way to tell how much of a charge the batteries had so running out of light would always be a big worry creating tension. It would also make batteries a valuable commodity and add another interesting angle to in game trading. Have the light start to flick and go out randomly when the power is low and have some sort of animation to shake it back to life trying to get the last bit of juice so to speak out of your batteries. I think that would be kind of exciting. 

Anyways, that is my two cents. I just wish we would stop getting more of the same games over and over again and if not that at least build on the tried and true paths add a little ingenuity. A tried and true formula is a good way to start and end with something solid and average. If you want something above average you have to deviate from that formula, take the risks. 

This turned out to be a lengthy post. I am not slamming Metro 2033. It looks like a cool game. I am just saying I have played another cool game with the same principals years ago. This really though is more of a gripe about the industry as a whole. Sure keep pumping out those game franchises its bread and butter but if your going to heavily borrow from other games that have been there and done that before please just try to add something new. I mean you have all the groundwork already laid out for you now all you have to do is build upon it.

What do I know though ? I am just some guy complaining on the internet. Millions will see my disdain and disgust and a revolution begins ushering in a golden age of gaming ? Win for me ?

:-)

xxXxPateraxXxx
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spaceturtle
    @xxXxPateraxXxx: 
    I gotta be honest with you, I havnt read thoroughly through your post, since I dont got too much time on my hands right now. But I really wanted to give you a quick reply right now, and read through later.

I also enjoyed Doom 3. I kinda felt like I was the only one, but I guess not. Of course it grew old pretty fast by only giving you new guns to play with as far as progression of gameplay went. Anyways, what I appreciated about Doom 3 was exactly that you had an own inventory slot for your flashlight. It creates a really creepy experience for the player. Having to search corners for ugly things while laying your finger on the scroll button prepared to equip your shotgun and blast away what ever you may find in that corner.

If I got this correctly from quickly reading through your post, you think Metro 2033 borrowing the flashlight idea from Doom 3 is of little or no originality, right? In that case I have to say I disagree. I dont know wether or not Doom 3's flashlight is kind of a trademark, but I personally wouldnt say so. I guess I just feel the idea has not been used enough and isnt really that much of a super exciting idea, even though it works great in Doom 3. So I think its great that Metro 2033 is doing the Doom 3 flashlight! (Snuk in some tradmark fever right there...) But what would have been awesome is if Metro (for example) had included an upgrade system so that you could actually just equip the flashlight to your gun later on when you had saved up enough cash, experience points or what ever. I think your battery and flashlight idea is good. I've seen it in other games though. But not in any horror games if i recall correcly, which is weird.

Aaaanyways, we're all guys complaining about this and that, but what would we do if we didnt? When people are tierd of listening to your bullshit at work or where ever it may be, we seek a heaven on the internet where we can complain about whatever, to whoever we want. I found GIant Bomb, what will will you find?
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Jayzilla

I always find it funny in games when the flashlight only lasts for like 30 seconds. You have these guns that are just insane and fire like 600 rounds a second but they can't have a flashlight last for more than a minute, but can recharge very quickly if turned off. Just seems so mid 90's to me. It's a gimmick that needs to be done away with or the mechanic reinvented.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon

Well that was proven to be very wrong. I think the reference was to the charger, as that requires both hands.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @SPACETURTLE said:
    " @xxXxPateraxXxx:  I gotta be honest with you, I havnt read thoroughly through your post, since I dont got too much time on my hands right now. "
    LOL your post is as long as his.  EGO SHOWDOWN.
    j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By j_meyer_13

You know what I would like to see in games, as far as flashlights are concerned?  A flashlight that lasts quite a while (as mentioned), but the battery does die eventually (again, as mentioned)... and as it's dying, it slowly fades out, like an actual flashlight does.  I can just imagine the panic of being in some dark tunnel/cave/warehouse/whatever, and the flashlight slowly getting dimmer and dimmer... while you're desperately scrambling to find a replacement battery, or get out into the light.  And then having to change the battery in complete darkness... that seems like it could be incredibly tense, if it was well done... sounds to me like it would be a cool fit for a game like Metro 2033 (what I've seen of it, anyways).  Wouldn't really matter if it was a handheld or weapon-mounted flashlight... either way, it would be tense.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Hamst3r

Having just played a bit of the game, you can have your headlamp on while you have a weapon equipped. I just did.

There's another light in the game that requires a charger, but I haven't gotten that far yet, so I dunno if you lose the headlamp at some point or something.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spaceturtle
    @SeriouslyNow: 
    Yeah, I dont really care what you think... But what bothers me is people like you contributing with nothing but dumb comments to this site.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @SPACETURTLE said:
    " @SeriouslyNow:  Yeah, I dont really care what you think... But what bothers me is people like you contributing with nothing but dumb comments to this site. "
    Your 1 wiki edit and 1 extra list makes you a serious voice of Giantbomb I guess.  I just thought it funny that you said you didn't have much time on your hands to read his post, yet wrote a small essay in reply.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spaceturtle
    @SeriouslyNow: 
    To write down your thoughts about a subject is a pretty easy task and shouldn't take up to much time, while reading someone else thoughts and get into what that person is trying to express and then write something that makes sense in context of his thoughts is a little more time consuming. Thats how it is for me.

Oh, and with only ONE wiki edit and ONE extra list, does that make me less worthy of being here on the site? Cause from from reading your post that seems like what your implying. All I do here is getting the newest information about the gaming world, sharing my thoughts with like-minded, helping out fellow members who requests help on different subjects orr just taking part in discussing  what burger is the best. Point is, I like this site cause there is a lot going on here that interest me. There are USUALLY good and fun people to talk and discuss with and generally lot of fun stuff happening here. Not only are your reply on my "small essay"-post not of any interest to me nor any other member here on the site but stupid and even a little offensive to me

EGO SHOWDOWN. "

Does this look like something you'd reply to someone when trying to make a funny remark? I personally don't think so. So, dude, from here on out, I don't give a damn about you or what you think is funny.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By mike

I see this thread is really going places. Anyway, no reason for it to stay open now since the game is out and this has proven to be false.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.