Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 10, 2017

Talion returns to confront the Ringwraiths and the dark lord Sauron himself.

Shadow of Mordor Sequel Leaked

• 99 results
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@snowypliskin: they should set it in the shire and nothing happens. or you just go to town on hobbits.

What they should do is make you play as an Orc thats invading the shire and you have to fight\inslave Hobbits.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ezekiel said:
    @gantrathor said:

But, thinking about it, I don't really know what template would make for a good Lord of the Rings game. I really hope someone figures it out though. That would be swell.

A linear traveling game with a companion system. Action-adventure.

That sounds pretty good. After thinking about it more, my idea would be an atmospheric first person horror game where you play as a Ranger of the North who is investigating the disappearance of some of his brethren in the wilderness. It would have a combat system with weight and consequence where you could suffer serious injury from a few bad moves. There would also be a detective element where you're examining clues in the environment and an inner monologue where the player character comments on his current situation. I would also want the developers to think of a way of representing the psychological effect that evil has on people in the world of Middle-earth that Tolkien writes about.

I don't know what location or time it would be set in though. Maybe Mirkwood? Or the Misty Mountains? I also don't know what the plot device would be that would have several rangers disappearing in the same place. Maybe it could be about scouts from Gondor instead, or elves from Mirkwood. Just something much smaller scale and intimate so that the retconning that's happening isn't as noticeable.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Will they.. actually let you fight the big bad this time?

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I never figured out why the original was so widely regarded! It did kooky well though, makes sense we'd see a sequel. Good for Monolith!

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About goddamn time!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wardoor is probably gon be good.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
    @gantrathor said:

But, thinking about it, I don't really know what template would make for a good Lord of the Rings game. I really hope someone figures it out though. That would be swell.

That sounds pretty good. After thinking about it more, my idea would be an atmospheric first person horror game where you play as a Ranger of the North who is investigating the disappearance of some of his brethren in the wilderness. It would have a combat system with weight and consequence where you could suffer serious injury from a few bad moves. There would also be a detective element where you're examining clues in the environment and an inner monologue where the player character comments on his current situation. I would also want the developers to think of a way of representing the psychological effect that evil has on people in the world of Middle-earth that Tolkien writes about.

I don't know what location or time it would be set in though. Maybe Mirkwood? Or the Misty Mountains? I also don't know what the plot device would be that would have several rangers disappearing in the same place. Maybe it could be about scouts from Gondor instead, or elves from Mirkwood. Just something much smaller scale and intimate so that the retconning that's happening isn't as noticeable.

Ya'll ever heard of War in the North? It's puurdy good.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:

Hopefully they hired some environmental artists this time around.

Yeah, I always wondered if the first game seemed so barren and empty because it originally started off as a different game.

A lot of WB leaks happening recently.

That game definitely had the feel of something miraculously salvaged from a bunch of different assets.

Hopefully a sequel will let them zero-in on the atmosphere and such.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Seems like they're done giving a fuuuuuuuuuuck about trying to fit it into the bigger trilogy, and I'm a-OK with that. I kept holding off buying Mordor for PS4 this year (played it on PC but never beat it) because I figured a sequel had to be right around the corner.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gantrathor said:
    @ezekiel said:
    @gantrathor said:

Yep! I played through it several times, so it would be a lie for me to say I didn't enjoy it. But I thought it suffered from the same problem that all other Lord of the Rings games have suffered from, namely that traditional video game ideas and mechanics don't mesh very well with the setting.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gantrathor said:
    @ezekiel said:
    @gantrathor said:

I only played Shadow of Mordor and watched the extended trilogy years ago. I didn't buy Shadow of Mordor because it was a Lord of the Rings game, I bought it because it looked like a good action game. I've no big attachment to the series. I couldn't even make it through the first Hobbit movie. I kind of wanna watch the extended Lord of the Rings again, but they're expensive and not on Netflix DVD.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ezekiel said:
    @gantrathor said:

I think Dragon's Dogma-ish would be interesting. I think it captures the fights with beasts you want and it has that "journey" like feel when you go out in to the world in that game. It could be done better, but yeah. Plus your party dynamic.

That's an open world game but I think that would be a good choice I think.

avenged22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By avenged22

I'd prefer a new Condemned or F.E.A.R. from Monolith. No interest in LOTR

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The name isn't great, but I love when a sequel doesn't just slap a 2 on the end.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't think of anything more overrated than the nemesis system. Maybe I just got unlucky, but none of the orcs ever become memorable in my game. It was just a bunch of randomly generated orcs that I murdered that were then replaced by more randomly generated orcs.

The game was fun enough to play, but I'd much rather they added the orcs to the actual story of the game and gave me a reason to care about any of them. Procedurally generated content is never as good as carefully constructed content.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the open world feels a bit more like a world than just a neat game level, so we'll see. Oh and that post capitalizing expansion in "Story Expansions" is so weird to me too.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

shoulda named it something like "orc slayer" or something cooler.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a big fan of Tolkien, I'm glad there are still people out there trying to crack the LOTR video game code, but I didn't think that Shadow of Mordor was an entirely successful attempt. XP bars and combo multipliers don't really fit the setting that well, which made all the Lord of the Rings stuff feel incidental. But, thinking about it, I don't really know what template would make for a good Lord of the Rings game. I really hope someone figures it out though. That would be swell.

The obvious answer is a Cooking Mama game starring a hobbit.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

I'm in.

But yes, the name sucks.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By Aarny91

Shadow was easy as hell, but it was surprisingly fun. Hopefully this one's a bit more challenging to really emphasize the Nemesis feature.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I have added the official trailer. Maybe this leak prompted them to put it out but who knows.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Also just spotted this image on the pre-order page for the game at GAME.

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of Mordor was also a terrible name, I think that's the key to these games being good.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Ezekiel
    Loading Video...

The teaser trailer is out.

I don't like that it's this guy again. He was bland in Shadow of Mordor. I'm disappointed that the alternate characters are part of the expansion. Probably mute skins again, who are referred to by the orcs as men regardless of their gender.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The consistency of the world-building is what makes Middle-Earth so appealing, it *is* a setting ripe for compelling media *if done right.* Lord of The Rings is the direct opposite of a power fantasy and this is exactly that. Why can't Talion use his ranger wits and smarts to outsmart and defeat the enemy? Because teleporting wraith powers! I get it, it's fine, it's just conceptionally and thematically completely messed up in relation to Tolkien. But perhaps that is more a Video Games problem in general and not a Shadow of Mordor thing. Killing and violence is something that features in most games, Lord of The Rings hated it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day one purchase.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By xanadu

I wonder if the first game sold well enough to get a sequel or if WB thinks the LOTR name and the good reviews are worthy of a second chance? Either way, cool!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm slightly confused by the trailer. Did they just say that Talion and Celebrimbor built another ring of power? Did I miss something by not playing the DLC?

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: I guess you missed something by not finishing the first game? That was the whole setup for the sequel at the end.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Zirilius

@aktivity said:

@zirilius: I guess you missed something by not finishing the first game? That was the whole setup for the sequel at the end.

I'm gonna have to watch the ending again because I don't remember that at all. I guess the story was that memorable to me even though I got a platinum trophy for that game. I remember the final boss battle being one of the most anti-climatic fights I have ever done.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Official now. I'm totally ready for another one of these.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By cikame

Shadow of Wardor, damn someone beat me to it.
    While i like all of the combat and the systems in place in the first game, overall i didn't enjoy it, running around an empty lifeless space endlessly killing orc generals who have specific annoying invincibilities which command how i play, it could be looked at as challenges to give the combat variety but it always felt like annoying brick walls, especially in some of the silly methods you'd have to use to kill someone. The times when multiple generals joined the fight with their random invincibilities were the worst.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Shadow of Lightning Storm War Rising Dawn: The Reckoning of Conquest Battleforged Warrior Heroes 3.

My biggest concern with this sequel is if they are going to fix the major issues I had with the game in regards to its difficulty. The game was just so unbelievably easy after the first 3 hours, and the Nemesis System might as well have not existed if you didn't actually die. I didn't die once in that game. Not even once. I didn't find out that time actually moves forward when you die and makes the orcs tougher until after I'd finished the game. I understand if people liked the power fantasy aspect of it, so for gods sake, put some difficulty options in the game. Hopefully this doesn't just translate to "Orcs do X more damage and take Y less damage".

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By baka_shinji17

One does not simply make a sequel to Shadow of Mordor.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Dumb name but I'm excited to play this.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story was the only problem I had with the last game, and I still wish this had nothing to do with the Lord of the Rings. I just had difficulty believing, that this one man army would wreck shit in Mordor. I'm not even that big of a Tolkien fan.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Well I am looking forward to seeing what this is about but BOY is that cover hilarious.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 things I hope for

1. The game is harder, and the upgrade system doesn't trivialize the entire game. It was too easy to remove the entire point of the nemesis system if you never died. Maybe also give orcs some agency outside of player controlled criteria.
    2. They don't bungle the boss fights again. The Tower in the first game was such a cool design, but such a bad boss fight.

Also, it seems like maybe there are trolls, so hopefully they don't have their weird nottrolls and notwargs back if they can just have the real thing.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gantrathor said:
    @ezekiel said:
    @gantrathor said:

oh god it's the musou game i never knew i wanted...

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#93  Edited By SSully

I am down for whatever they do next, but I still think this being a LoTR game is a huge mistake.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Looks great!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: The ending of Shadow of Mordor made me quite angry. Especially when the end-shot was basically 'Join me in the sequel'!

Also, i didn't expect Kerrigan to moonlight as the LOTR narrator lady :)

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh wow. I saw this thread pop up yesterday but didn't look at it because I thought it was about a potential sequel that wasn't happening. Logged onto Steam today and there it is for pre-order on the front page!

I absolutely loved the first game. I don't know if the Mordor or Middle-Earth setting is interesting enough for another game, though. And I have been getting my orc-killing fix elsewhere lately. But I can say this looks potentially promising at least.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: @brad Kerrigan is basically God now and creates life via boning Ascended Jimmy; she can do what she wants.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, such a low hype for a game this caliber.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: The ending of Shadow of Mordor made me quite angry. Especially when the end-shot was basically 'Join me in the sequel'!

Also, i didn't expect Kerrigan to moonlight as the LOTR narrator lady :)

So I rewatched the ending of Shadow of Mordor and man the whole concept of creating a new ring is literally the last line of dialog and not said in any memorable fashion. No wonder I forgot all about it and was completely confused.

I never really made the comparison to Kerrigan and now I can't unsee it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.