Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Mortal Kombat - My Initial Impressions

Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Edited By Burn1n9m4n

After PSN broke down, Easter weekend, and the Royal Wedding I have managed to weather the storm of UK bank holidays to finally get my copy of Mortal Kombat in the mail. I have the PS3 version of the game which is pretty sweet and I should have a more comprehensive user review of the game up soon as PSN is still down and I want to take a look at multiplayer before I write it up. In the meantime, I've been amusing myself with the single player offerings packed within. 

Playing through MK's story mode gives you a great appreciation for how Boon and his boys at NetherRealm Studios have taken the time to painstakingly take MK back to its roots. All of your favorite aspects to the 2-D combat are there from Dan Forden's 'Toasty!' to Scorpion's 'Get over here!' The transitions between cutscene to fight and back again occur with no load times. Though there is at least one moment (in about the third act of the story) where the audio hitches up a bit and the subtitle timing gets thrown off, but these are minor issues to a game that is otherwise pitch perfect in terms of its presentation. 

But there are some flaws nonetheless with MK's gameplay  that, given how well put together it is, stand out due to the stark contrast with the rest of the content. As an example, every fighter, regardless of your personal preferences or go-to characters, is engineered to not just feel different, but also play strongly in the hands of a player that has an adequate grasp of kombos and move sets. This being said, its sad that MK's bosses don't test your skill (you like what I did there?) more than your ability to recognize patterns and moves with your chosen fighter that allow you to cheese your way through a boss fight. The most notorious of these fights is none other than Shao Kahn who is the end boss (no surprise there!) for both the story mode and the arcade ladders. While I suppose it could be said that the story mode tests your ability to adapt and use different characters as the narrative progresses, ultimately the boss fights you face always fall into the pattern recognition trap. Its a real shame, especially when one considers this with respect to the amount of time, thought, and care that went into the rest of the game's production. 

Another design choice that I take issue with is the lack of any real character based tutorials within the story mode. Indeed, the general game tutorial gives a pretty good overview of the two main modes of play, 1-on-1 kombat and 2-on-2 tag kombat, while also introducing the basic moves available for first time fighting gamers. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the tutorializing ends unless you count the character specific fatality trainer. Something character specific would have been fantastic in the context of the story mode. As the game progresses you are dumped cold into a new fighter as you make your way chapter by chapter for the 16 chapter long story mode. During the course of the 4-5 hour long story campaign there are no real tutorials or hints given as to how to play some of the new characters as you take control of them. This can be a huge problem especially when confronted with kombatants that move much faster than your current fighter or take advantage of the weaknesses in your character. Further to this, certain battles in the story mode require you to take on tag teams with only one character. One particular fight setup this way that gave me a huge amount of frustration was a fight where you have control of Cyber Sub-Zero and have to fight a tag team consisting of Goro and Kintaro. Then again, I suppose that I may have been making that battle harder on myself than I should have, as that fight again goes back to the pattern recognition game that you have to play with respect to all of the game's boss characters. 

Now while I haven't played online yet I have heard a lot about how Smoke and Scorpion are used predominantly by players. Initially, I thought that this was due to the fact that Smoke and Scorpion are really popular amongst MK enthusiasts. However, upon closer inspection and a playthrough of the story mode it seems that the real reason they are used so much is that both have a teleport punch, a means of closing distance with an opponent very quickly, and both have a limited set of moves that are very intuitive to utilize. Additionally, the dial-a-kombos for both Scorpion and Smoke appear to be easier than most of the other characters in the game. My last complaint with the story is that you never get to play as any of the fighters from Outworld or from Shao Kahn's personal forces. Now, I can realize the narrative reasons for this, but it doesn't really help later on when people want to jump online. One of my favorite characters, Ermac, is also one that I'm struggling to master because his juggle kombos are absolutely insane. However without any real tutorial or hints on how to use him effectively, I find myself at a bit of a loss regarding how to string together some of his more powerful attacks into the devastating kombos that I know his character is capable of doing. 

I will admit that these thoughts are my initial impressions having not played online yet. Also I suppose that I should mention that MK is the first fighting game in a very long time that I've actually decided to take the time to master and get good at. To be completely honest, my list of fighting games that I have mastered can be counted on one hand and in the grand scheme either played differently or are not considered to be seminal titles within the genre (Masters of Teräs Käsi anyone?). In fact, the last fighting game I played really seriously was Super Smash Bros. on the N64. So against human opponents, who also may be better fighting game players, I have no idea where my skills stack up. I'm curious to see how badly I get my ass handed to me when I step into the online arena with total strangers. I'm also curious to see how match making works as I will be entering that arena with a completely clean record. Needless to say, MK has an exceptional amount of content for its single player experience that I can barely scratch the surface of here. That content is very well put together, but is partially marred by either some strange design choices that scream that NetherRealm decided to take the easy way out or that lack any real thought at all with respect to player experiences. Still it does say something that I own it and am still playing it despite these shortcomings. I'll have a full review of this up later once PSN is back up and I can really have a go at the online.    
    Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Burn1n9m4n

After PSN broke down, Easter weekend, and the Royal Wedding I have managed to weather the storm of UK bank holidays to finally get my copy of Mortal Kombat in the mail. I have the PS3 version of the game which is pretty sweet and I should have a more comprehensive user review of the game up soon as PSN is still down and I want to take a look at multiplayer before I write it up. In the meantime, I've been amusing myself with the single player offerings packed within. 

Playing through MK's story mode gives you a great appreciation for how Boon and his boys at NetherRealm Studios have taken the time to painstakingly take MK back to its roots. All of your favorite aspects to the 2-D combat are there from Dan Forden's 'Toasty!' to Scorpion's 'Get over here!' The transitions between cutscene to fight and back again occur with no load times. Though there is at least one moment (in about the third act of the story) where the audio hitches up a bit and the subtitle timing gets thrown off, but these are minor issues to a game that is otherwise pitch perfect in terms of its presentation. 

But there are some flaws nonetheless with MK's gameplay  that, given how well put together it is, stand out due to the stark contrast with the rest of the content. As an example, every fighter, regardless of your personal preferences or go-to characters, is engineered to not just feel different, but also play strongly in the hands of a player that has an adequate grasp of kombos and move sets. This being said, its sad that MK's bosses don't test your skill (you like what I did there?) more than your ability to recognize patterns and moves with your chosen fighter that allow you to cheese your way through a boss fight. The most notorious of these fights is none other than Shao Kahn who is the end boss (no surprise there!) for both the story mode and the arcade ladders. While I suppose it could be said that the story mode tests your ability to adapt and use different characters as the narrative progresses, ultimately the boss fights you face always fall into the pattern recognition trap. Its a real shame, especially when one considers this with respect to the amount of time, thought, and care that went into the rest of the game's production. 

Another design choice that I take issue with is the lack of any real character based tutorials within the story mode. Indeed, the general game tutorial gives a pretty good overview of the two main modes of play, 1-on-1 kombat and 2-on-2 tag kombat, while also introducing the basic moves available for first time fighting gamers. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the tutorializing ends unless you count the character specific fatality trainer. Something character specific would have been fantastic in the context of the story mode. As the game progresses you are dumped cold into a new fighter as you make your way chapter by chapter for the 16 chapter long story mode. During the course of the 4-5 hour long story campaign there are no real tutorials or hints given as to how to play some of the new characters as you take control of them. This can be a huge problem especially when confronted with kombatants that move much faster than your current fighter or take advantage of the weaknesses in your character. Further to this, certain battles in the story mode require you to take on tag teams with only one character. One particular fight setup this way that gave me a huge amount of frustration was a fight where you have control of Cyber Sub-Zero and have to fight a tag team consisting of Goro and Kintaro. Then again, I suppose that I may have been making that battle harder on myself than I should have, as that fight again goes back to the pattern recognition game that you have to play with respect to all of the game's boss characters. 

Now while I haven't played online yet I have heard a lot about how Smoke and Scorpion are used predominantly by players. Initially, I thought that this was due to the fact that Smoke and Scorpion are really popular amongst MK enthusiasts. However, upon closer inspection and a playthrough of the story mode it seems that the real reason they are used so much is that both have a teleport punch, a means of closing distance with an opponent very quickly, and both have a limited set of moves that are very intuitive to utilize. Additionally, the dial-a-kombos for both Scorpion and Smoke appear to be easier than most of the other characters in the game. My last complaint with the story is that you never get to play as any of the fighters from Outworld or from Shao Kahn's personal forces. Now, I can realize the narrative reasons for this, but it doesn't really help later on when people want to jump online. One of my favorite characters, Ermac, is also one that I'm struggling to master because his juggle kombos are absolutely insane. However without any real tutorial or hints on how to use him effectively, I find myself at a bit of a loss regarding how to string together some of his more powerful attacks into the devastating kombos that I know his character is capable of doing. 

I will admit that these thoughts are my initial impressions having not played online yet. Also I suppose that I should mention that MK is the first fighting game in a very long time that I've actually decided to take the time to master and get good at. To be completely honest, my list of fighting games that I have mastered can be counted on one hand and in the grand scheme either played differently or are not considered to be seminal titles within the genre (Masters of Teräs Käsi anyone?). In fact, the last fighting game I played really seriously was Super Smash Bros. on the N64. So against human opponents, who also may be better fighting game players, I have no idea where my skills stack up. I'm curious to see how badly I get my ass handed to me when I step into the online arena with total strangers. I'm also curious to see how match making works as I will be entering that arena with a completely clean record. Needless to say, MK has an exceptional amount of content for its single player experience that I can barely scratch the surface of here. That content is very well put together, but is partially marred by either some strange design choices that scream that NetherRealm decided to take the easy way out or that lack any real thought at all with respect to player experiences. Still it does say something that I own it and am still playing it despite these shortcomings. I'll have a full review of this up later once PSN is back up and I can really have a go at the online.    
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By frankxiv

i don't really get the complaint about the bosses when other non-boss characters can be easily beaten the same way. it's just with other characters, they don't have armor (allowing their moves to take priority over yours so you get shao kahn shoulder charging you through uppercuts), so you can go on the offensive a lot more for little penalty. if anything, they should be teaching you to play defensively and counterattack well. like challenge 299 where you're up against goro and he can kill you in one hit, it seems extreme, but if you're learning what they are trying to teach you, it's not about luck or learning how to cheese them, just waiting for an opening and taking it. their damage in normal fights is still ridiculous when you get caught with hits, but they have to do something to differentiate, and it's not like they're also playable, so it doesn't throw off balance.

i would recommend going through the challenge tower and thinking of it as an extended tutorial. it covers just about every character by the end, and challenges you to use them in different ways in each mission. instead of the kombo trainer from previous mk games where you can learn ridiculous hit strings in a sterile training environment that doesn't exist against other players or even the ai above beginner, this teaches you practical uses for the characters, and has some fun minigames thrown in as well. as someone who started out only playing smoke and playing the teleport game, i now feel at least competent with each character, and have a better idea of who i'd like to focus more on when psn comes back up.

Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Burn1n9m4n
    @onimonkii: I've only played through a little bit of the challenge tower. About 35 of the challenges to be exact. I suppose that the CT does work as an extended character specific tutorial and it does deliver that tutorial in a fashion whereby you don't even realize that it is, in fact, teaching you different things with all of the characters. That said, I think that while you are correct about the bosses providing a valuable lesson in playing defensively I think that there are still a few more creative ways of going about delivering that lesson. To me, the overt take-away from the boss encounters is finding their pattern, recognizing what to do, and executing upon that plan. Clearly, I'm not the only one that has reached that conclusion. And while its true that that conclusion maybe predicated upon a slightly skewed view of the game, it is the first impression that many people will take away from it. I'm not saying that I disagree with your logic here. In fact, you have a very good point and I am inclined to agree that I hadn't considered those viewpoints. But this piece is my initial reaction. Knowing these points going forward will be nice as I write-up the review.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ares42
    @Burn1n9m4n:@Burn1n9m4n said:

" @onimonkii: I've only played through a little bit of the challenge tower. About 35 of the challenges to be exact. I suppose that the CT does work as an extended character specific tutorial and it does deliver that tutorial in a fashion whereby you don't even realize that it is, in fact, teaching you different things with all of the characters. That said, I think that while you are correct about the bosses providing a valuable lesson in playing defensively I think that there are still a few more creative ways of going about delivering that lesson. To me, the overt take-away from the boss encounters is finding their pattern, recognizing what to do, and executing upon that plan.Clearly, I'm not the only one that has reached that conclusion. And while its true that that conclusion maybe predicated upon a slightly skewed view of the game, it is the first impression that many people will take away from it. I'm not saying that I disagree with your logic here. In fact, you have a very good point and I am inclined to agree that I hadn't considered those viewpoints. But this piece is my initial reaction. Knowing these points going forward will be nice as I write-up the review. "

The thing is, that is a major part of playing fighting games beyond just casuals mashing buttons. All the game does is to actually try to push you into the direction of how to play it correctly. If you watch any high-end match you will see that it's all about blocking correctly and punishing at the right times. Ofc, when you have 2 human players someone has to take the initiative now and then, but learning to block/avoid attacks and figuring out what attacks the opponent has that you can punish is more or less the core gameplay of all fighting games. Ofc they could just up the difficulty without adding the armor, but wouldn't it be just as infuriating if you suddenly played against an opponent that constantly juggle-comboed you into long 25-35% combos ? The problem is more in the progression of the game, you play a ton of matches that you can basically mash out and get through if you're not too unlucky, and then suddenly you get to a fight where you actually have to play well.

You say others have come to the same conclusion that bosses are broken, but there was also a ton of complaints about the 1v2 fights as well. It's not the opponent(s) that's the problem, it's the fact that the game actually requires you to play it correctly. If anything what's broken with the bosses is that they can still be exploited, unlike the 2v1 fights.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gabriel

I only played online a couple times before PSN went down, but I was already sick of the smoke teleport punch spammers. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.