Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NeverDead

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 31, 2012

In this brutal action game from the creators of Alien vs. Predator, players become Bryce Boltsman, a demon hunter cursed with immortality five hundred years ago, who can survive being violently dismembered by his enemies as long as his head isn't swallowed whole.

So, this is coming out soon.

• 56 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By alex

@Napalm: I've had enemies generate on top of destroyed scenery and thus refuse to be killed, because their animation breaks and I can't shoot their weak spot. I've had to restart checkpoints because the level geometry exploded my head into what I think was a nearby wall, and thus I could no longer escape. The swordplay absolutely, positively, sucks.

I am not trying to hate this game, but everything about it feels cumbersome and barely functional. I don't think the voice actor doing Bryce is bad at all, but the character is severely underwritten. He's just a grizzled cop archetype with a demon hunting backstory stitched on. His jokes just aren't funny, or even remotely clever. It's not bad performances, but bad writing.

I mean, look, I really dug Shadows of the Damned last year, which in several ways is a very similar game, including some of its jankier aspects. The difference is that Shadows had some actual charm to it, and I didn't feel like I was constantly fighting against its own mechanics in order to progress. Also, Garcia Fucking Hotspur this dude is not.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By napalm

@Alex: To each his own. I haven't run into any game-breaking bugs, but that's unfortunate you have. Don't apologize for your opinions, duder. I will say though, "cumbersome" was indeed a word that jumped into my mind a few times so far.

Also, on the topic of Bryce's humor, I think his humor works simply because it's dry, not unlike some classic American cop archetypes. I'm not laughing my ass off every time he says something, and I can't imagine anybody doing that, but every now and again I'll let out a chuckle, because his attitude is just like, "ugh. This shit again?"

I like the whole dismemberment aspect. I don't know. It can be occasionally cumbersome as you mentioned, but there's something charming I find about it. I don't get irritated and frustrated when it happens, I just try not to get sucked up by those grandbabies. It sucks you had game-breaking bugs. I haven't encountered anything like that thus far. Like I said, I can see where the game can be improved, but strangely enough, I find myself being able to look past that because I find the game to be fun.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By alex

@Napalm: I think if there's one thing I've tried my best to do in recent years, it's not to begrudge people for their opinions either. I'm arguing more out of my own frustrations than any real desire to suddenly make you hate the game you're playing. If anything, I'm glad someone playing this is capable of enjoying it, because it means you don't feel like you wasted your money. Me? If I'd paid for this, I'd have probably been apoplectic by the third level.

I just think the jokes are lazy. They're cheap one-liners that have no punch whatsoever. The dude's delivery is totally fine, but the script does him no favors.

The dismemberment thing is something that really sounds great on paper to me, but in execution, just makes the action a slog. Dude is like one of those old Crash Test Dummies action figures that would completely blow apart the second you breathed on them too hard.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By napalm

@Alex said:

@Napalm: I think if there's one thing I've tried my best to do in recent years, it's not to begrudge people for their opinions either. I'm arguing more out of my own frustrations than any real desire to suddenly make you hate the game you're playing. If anything, I'm glad someone playing this is capable of enjoying it, because it means you don't feel like you wasted your money. Me? If I'd paid for this, I'd have probably been apoplectic by the third level.

I just think the jokes are lazy. They're cheap one-liners that have no punch whatsoever. The dude's delivery is totally fine, but the script does him no favors.

The dismemberment thing is something that really sounds great on paper to me, but in execution, just makes the action a slog. Dude is like one of those old Crash Test Dummies action figures that would completely blow apart the second you breathed on them too hard.

I do think Bryce breaks apart too easily in some instances. I also wish his evasive rolls and jumps were a bit more maneuverable. He doesn't move a whole lot when you jump or roll, occasionally, not even over objects which I think hurts the flow of gameplay a bit.

Can you tell me, how many hours is the game? I think I'm at least three in right now. But I do agree about the price. For me, this game works at $60, but I can't recommend it at that price, because there are shortcomings, and I can see other players getting frustrated, and the type of game I enjoy, typically I am in the minority.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By jacdg

@Alex: Have you completed the game? Because I'm halfway through according to the achievements, but I'm completely confused by the story, does it/did it, ever make sense to you. Other than that, I find it to be a solid , original game and I haven't run into any glitches or gamebreaking bugs.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By alex

@Napalm:

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By napalm

@Alex: I know what it is: aliens. Why? 'cause.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.