Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo of America Silent About Circle Pad Add-On

• 73 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Not much news to report, but I took a meeting with Nintendo of America this morning to play a few new levels of Super Mario 3D Land and check out the updated version of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords.

When Nintendo asked if there were any questions about last night's press conference, naturally most of them were about the circle pad add-on, which technically wasn't even at the event--it showed up after online.

Unfortunately, Nintendo of America didn't have anything to say about the add-on's availability in North America. That may have more to do with the accessory's current ties to Monster Hunter, a franchise that hasn't achieved the same phenomenon status over here.

We'll have to wait a little longer to find out what Nintendo's plans are outside Japan.

On Nintendo's website last night, the company confirmed the first set of games to support the add-on--Monster Hunter Tri 3G, Resident Evil: Revelations, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, Ace Combat 3D, Dynasty Warriors, and Kingdom Hearts 3: Dream Drop Distance--which will cost 1,500 yen (about $20) when it arrives on store shelves on December 10.

That's the same release date as Monster Hunter Tri 3G in Japan and may be awfully close (or the same day) as Vita.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Not much news to report, but I took a meeting with Nintendo of America this morning to play a few new levels of Super Mario 3D Land and check out the updated version of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords.

When Nintendo asked if there were any questions about last night's press conference, naturally most of them were about the circle pad add-on, which technically wasn't even at the event--it showed up after online.

Unfortunately, Nintendo of America didn't have anything to say about the add-on's availability in North America. That may have more to do with the accessory's current ties to Monster Hunter, a franchise that hasn't achieved the same phenomenon status over here.

We'll have to wait a little longer to find out what Nintendo's plans are outside Japan.

On Nintendo's website last night, the company confirmed the first set of games to support the add-on--Monster Hunter Tri 3G, Resident Evil: Revelations, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, Ace Combat 3D, Dynasty Warriors, and Kingdom Hearts 3: Dream Drop Distance--which will cost 1,500 yen (about $20) when it arrives on store shelves on December 10.

That's the same release date as Monster Hunter Tri 3G in Japan and may be awfully close (or the same day) as Vita.

jaegernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jaegernaut

First, and that thing looks silly

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Vexxan

Not surprised.

Sikboy1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sikboy1029

Maybe I'll get a 3DS when they're released with the extra buttons and circle pad built in. Oh what an internet rage filled day that will be...

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Harkat

Second, and while it might look silly, it might turn out to be a positive thing for the quality of my 3DS gaming in the long run, provided Ninty manage to pull themselves out of this rut and get devs interested.

Anyway, this made playing MGS3 on the 3DS a lot more attractive.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

The 3DS has just been one cluster fuck after another since it launched. I wonder if/when Nintendo just throws it out and comes up with something new.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Flappy

Not the prettiest thing in the world, eh?

mdnthrvst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By mdnthrvst

It's Kingdom Hearts 3D, Patrick. I was almost really excited before I clicked the link.

ohvee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ohvee

@Flappy said:

Are aesthetics really that important?

hagridore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By hagridore

Do we know how it plugs into the 3DS?

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vonFlampanker

@Ohvee said:

@Flappy said:

They're not inconsequential on a device that one's using out in public. If the 3DS is competing with devices like the iPhone, it needs all the help it can get (and I think it's a nice looking system without the add-on).

The worse part is the aesthetic downside is combined with an increase to the system's footprint, another battery to worry about and an even chance that the system's ergonomics will suffer. (if my DS Lite is any indication, they weren't that great to begin with).

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I think that thing makes the 3DS look much more comfortable to hold. The bottom of it slopes down to give you something to grip on to, and it makes the shape wider which would be great for my giant hands.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By tebbit

@Ohvee said:

@Flappy said:

Don't tell Steve Jobs that you ever asked that question, because he'll punch you right in the 'nads.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Witzig

Am I the only that doesn't think it looks ugly. Ya it's not the most beautiful piece of plastic but if it help with games then bring it on. They'll figure out a way to make it sexy but in the mean time we're just going to have to deal with it.

HibikiRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By HibikiRush

To be honest, I think I would rather have this thing than not have it at all. When playing MGS3D at E3 I was immediately disinterested in the game due to the lack of a second analog stick for the camera. This has me a bit more interested in the game and other similar titles. While I understand a revised 3DS might have this built in, I don't really mind as much as I got the 3DS to play unique games, 2D side-scrollers, etc. that I can't find on other systems.

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By kerikxi

Oh Nintendo, why why why did you not just do this from the start. Now you have to release a new 3DS next year with it built in to gain any traction.

SMacEachern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SMacEachern

I can't believe this thing actually exists

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By WJist

@vonFlampanker said:

@Ohvee said:

@Flappy said:

They're not inconsequential on a device that one's using out in public. If the 3DS is competing with devices like the iPhone, it needs all the help it can get (and I think it's a nice looking system without the add-on).

The worse part is the aesthetic downside is combined with an increase to the system's footprint, another battery to worry about and an even chance that the system's ergonomics will suffer. (if my DS Lite is any indication, they weren't that great to begin with).

I had never considered this before, but the 3DS as it stands is pretty pocket friendly. With the add-on, there's going to be that huge bulge which will not only be aesthetically bad, but also not as portable.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Chris2KLee

This pretty much guarantees a new redesign by next year, which is probably when I'll jump in. That add on is super stopgap.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

It does look silly, but if there's multiple games I want to play that support it... I think I'm going going to hope for a hardware revision with a built-in 2nd stick.

Dixperiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dixperiken

I really just do not know how Nintendo didn't see this coming.

Do they not pay attention to there competition. If they had they would have seen the PSP almost crumble purely because the lack of a second analog stick made the few games there were suck more. I feel bad for everyone who bought a 3DS. It just seems like a mess.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 71Ranchero

Its 20 bucks and optional. Get over it.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23  Edited By spiceninja

All of this is just making me wait for the inevitable redesign. The 3DS is such a mess right now.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Cybexx

I kind of wish if this is the way they are going that I at least wish it was more ergonomically sound. I always thought that they could fit another slide pad under the face buttons. I kind of wish this thing would clip around the right side of the 3DS and hang over that area between the face buttons and the power button. Its the fact that it is just floating there to the right of the face buttons that bugs me. I'm holding my 3DS right now trying to imagine how it would feel and if my hands were just a tiny bit smaller it would be pretty terrible.

However if this works well enough and alleviates some of the frustration that can be had from trying to control a camera with a right analog stick then I don't hate it and at least the price isn't as gouging as they could have made it and it will probably be packed in with something. Nintendo should have paid attention to the PSP and realized most game developers can't cope without the second stick. I hope this is starting to lead to Nintendo being a little less close-minded as they have traditionally been.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By buft

i really hope by support it, they dont mean requires it.

ohvee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ohvee

@vonFlampanker said:

@Ohvee said:

@Flappy said:

I guess we really don't know how this attach to the 3DS. If it just clips on it seems like it would be easy enough to detach if you were to use it in public. That would also affect what games you could play on the go.

I picked up a 3DS the weekend following the price-reduction (Gamestop sent me a coupon that effectively made it free with some games that I traded in). It feels a bit too small in my hands at times. Adding a bit of width (and hopefully some depth) will make it a bit more comfortable for me.

Even with a seemingly inevitable redesign the 3DS is still feels viable at this point. Crazy amount of negatively slanted press going around right now. Seems like it just fuels a barely existent fire.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By SpudBug

Nintendo of America is so shitty. They need a major overhaul in management there.

I hope they don't pass on the circle pad attachment.

I'm calling it, NoA ignores Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest X, Circle Pad Attachment, Xenoblade, and anything not related to the smurfs or Just Dance for north america.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Contro

They have good reason to... As HibikiRush points out, I'd rather have something like this, than not have it. My only issue with it is the lob-sided design. It should have symmetry akin to WiiU's controller... I dread to think how it's been weighted so that it attains some balance.

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By ThePilgrums

@mdnthrvst said:

It's Kingdom Hearts 3D, Patrick. I was almost really excited before I clicked the link.

Yeah, you may wanna fix that in these last couple articles, Patrick. I thought the first time was a typo. It's Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. (What an awful subtitle.)

Ken_Foo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ken_Foo

The timing of the release is terrible but I'm all for something that makes the 3DS more comfortable to hold. It's too small right now and makes my hands cramp.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Harkat

@HibikiRush said:

To be honest, I think I would rather have this thing than not have it at all. When playing MGS3D at E3 I was immediately disinterested in the game due to the lack of a second analog stick for the camera. This has me a bit more interested in the game and other similar titles. While I understand a revised 3DS might have this built in, I don't really mind as much as I got the 3DS to play unique games, 2D side-scrollers, etc. that I can't find on other systems.

Exactly. I played MGS3D at Gamescom, and while I could deal with the controls as I was used to Peace Walker, a second analogue stick will make the game tons more enjoyable.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Quacktastic
    @Ohvee said:

@Flappy said:

Its personality isn't that great either.
    NinjaCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NinjaCommando

It's hideous, stop slacking nintendo.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GuyIncognito

How about this: Dump Nintendo stock.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Quacktastic

To the "Its optional, LEAVE NINTENDO ALONE!" people:

It's a 2nd stick.  It's not some experimental thing.  All games are better with one.  There has to be a revision with this stick built-in and games are going to use it.  If you have an old 3DS you will need to get one or your games will be worse for it.  There are more games using this stupid stick that isn't even out yet than Wii Motion + games.  It's not the same as every other optional add-on.

You should be glad about a 2nd stick.  It's a good thing.  But it's just another point in the endless bullet list of 'You really shouldn't have bought this thing yet.'

ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ezdude

shame, pure shame. If its inevitable why not just take a few moments to say something about it--always being so secretive game companies

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spiegel

This thing... man, this is so ugly.

Oh, and Patrick, it's not a big deal, just pointing it out: it's Monster Hunter 3G, not Tri 3G, and KH 3D: Dream Drop Distance (get it?), not KH3. Both mistakes appear in both articles you wrote.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hameyadea

Sounds fishy to me.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#39  Edited By MormonWarrior

@Quacktastic said:

@Ohvee said:

@Flappy said:

Its personality isn't that great either.

I love this. So much.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you squint your eyes it almost looks like a sega game gear with a flip up screen.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Enigma777

@Atramentous said:

Optional for now... Doubt it will be the same a year or two from now though.

martez87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By martez87
    I bought a 3DS yesterday and all I can say is Wow! This has really been blown out of proportion, hasn't it? If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you do, its $20! That's less than a Wiimote, 360 controller, PS3 controller, Move controller and about the same as the 360s play and charge kit. I don't see how its such a big deal, its optional, people didn't go this crazy about the Gameboy Camera. There seems to be an increasingly hostile backlash against everything Nintendo does these days:

Nintendo: "Good news everybody, the 3DS is getting a price drop!"

Internet: "FUCK YOU!"

Nintendo: "Er...... how about 20 free games to make up for it?"

Internet: "Those games suck!!"

Nintendo: "Um...we made an add on for the......"

Internet: "Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!"

Most of the haters probably don't even own the thing or have any intention of buying it.

Having said this, I don't believe Nintendo has done a great job with the launch period, the marketing has been poor and the games lineup has been lacking any killer apps. But the machine itself is very cool. Hopefully in six months time when the games start rolling in we will all look back at this slow news week and laugh.......or far more likely, the the internet will continue to be a desolate landscape of sensationalism and hate...
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Enigma777 said:

@Atramentous said:

People bought new models of the old DS with less improvements then a second analog stick. Also....just use your original one if you dont want it.

Kael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kael

I'm still having a hard time realizing that this add-on is actually real. It's bizarre. Has there ever been an add-on for an additional input before? Usually it's stuff like card readers, printers, cameras, and rumble packs--one-off gimmicks for certain games, not buttons and analog sticks, as though they totally forgot to put them in the system to start with. So very weird.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By captain_clayman

yeah i really hope they do a revision model with this built in. include monster hunter and better battery life and i miiiiiight be down to buy one of these.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By wafflez

I wouldn't have an issue with the way it looks.. whats worse is that it takes triple a batteries!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Enigma777

@Atramentous said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Atramentous said:

People bought new models of the old DS with less improvements then a second analog stick. Also....just use your original one if you dont want it.

Just because some people did it doesn't make it right. Early adopters already got screwed over massively with the price cut and this is just insult to injury. If anything, it's going to teach people not to buy Nintendo hardware on launch.

Makes me curious if the WiiU will flop on launch...

Boopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Boopie

this is fantastic I love this kind of shit

(takes Risperdal)

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Enigma777 said:

@Atramentous said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Atramentous said:

Just because some people did it doesn't make it right. Early adopters already got screwed over massively with the price cut and this is just insult to injury. If anything, it's going to teach people not to buy Nintendo hardware on launch.

Makes me curious if the WiiU will flop on launch...

Who is being screwed? You will never need to upgrade. This is Nintendo. When the Motion Plus came out you didnt need to own it, you still dont. Rumble pack, Ram cart, along with the dozens of other addons/additions to various Nintendo products have never been mandatory.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By TepidShark

Considering most of the games supported are probably going to come to America, I have no reason to suspect that the Circle Pad wouldn't come to America.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.