Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo NX might work with PlayStation 4

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Johnnboy2000

I saw a article today saying that Nintendo NX will work with PlayStation 4 and PC. This is speculation of course. If this turns out to be true considered my mind blowed! Here's link to the article.

http://www.techwens.com/revealed-nintendos-new-nx-console-will-work-with-playstation-258299

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Interesting. This is the important source for this story:

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

"Quite how the NX would work with these other devices is still unclear, but the inference is that one key element to Nintendo’s new toy could mean that it is able to connect to an app on any device."

I was going to write something about what an absurd piece of click baity garbage that article is, but I think that quote speaks for itself.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mike said:

I was going to write something about what an absurd piece of click baity garbage that article is, but I think that quote speaks for itself.

That's why I tried to bring the source out. Connecting it all to an app/account is actually interesting I think. The PS4 part doesn't even matter and it just fails to mention Xbox which it could apply to as well. There's possibility for interesting things with that and personally I find that pretty forward thinking for Nintendo which is good.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

No matter what the NX will actually turn out to be, if there is any truth to this E3 this year will be a real fucking blast.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ripelivejam

Everyone clamors for them to go third party. I say the longer they retain a dedicated console the better. I fear they would potentially lose their unique identity without it, as well as fade into obscurity.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By mike

@artisanbreads: It's an interesting idea, but I don't think that has anything to do with the PlayStation 4 at all. Plus, the video that was embedded in that article seems like it was recorded some time ago, back when the existence of the NX was first revealed.

If there's going to be an NX app that is central to the whole experience, then I sincerely doubt it's going to be showing up on the PS4. If it's just accessed through a browser, then this is even more of a non-story.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me of when the original Xbox was about to be released, and a rumor went around that it would be able to play PS2 games.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mike: I guess? It's a story to me (barring any crappy click bait titles). I want to hear what Nintendo is doing and hearing this could closely work with other devices is great to hear. I have hated Nintendo's hardware gimmicks for years (which makes me strongly disagree with you @ripelivejam ) so this sounds vastly better. Maybe this info has been discussed before but someone from the WSJ tweeting about it catches my attention. This is more firm info than I have seen before.

Also this IGN article, which has more sourcing from a financial/investment perspective. It says they seem to be planning to release it as two separate things, one mobile device and then a later to be released console device. We will have to see what happens but this all has me more interested in it than I was before. As someone who plays on PC, if this device could work smoothly with that I would be way more inclined to get it.

No Caption Provided

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If even half of the rumors about what the NX is going to be or do are true, Nintendo is going to have to do a monumentally better job of explaining this thing in comparison to the Wii U. They completely botched the Wii U's marketing and this thing could be a lot more complicated to describe.

Whatever it is, I'm ready for the chaos that is coming.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo, cooperate with Sony in any meaningful way? Would have to see some hard evidence to believe that, and even then I'd be highly inclined to blame drugs.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like an X-Files case. I think we know who to call.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for the day that Nintendo goes third party. They would absolutely dominate the software market if they were on the other platforms. I just think it's too much to ask of people to get a Nintendo system as well as a current-gen console or PC. I think that is the perfect situation for them, they get to keep releasing their great games, they don't have to put in the resources for RnD and manufacturing of thousands of consoles (that won't sell), and any resources not wasted on making a console can go back into the games, marketing, savings, etc. You have to know that those conversations are happening in their board meetings, it just makes so much sense to go down that path.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The NX is you, it is me, it's everything, man. The NX is in all of us.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericjasonwade: I dunno, I may also be soured on it because typically any suggestion that nintendo go third party is in close proximity with a tirade about how terrible Nintendo are. And here people are willing to dump money on and defend systems that have this huge amount of crossover software and features wise that make them seem duller to me. Why not something that's new and tries risky things? Even if it's not entirely successful there's so much more possibility and it doesn't feel so stagnant.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam:

I'm not looking for too much risk regarding consoles. I like sitting in front of my TV with a regular controller. Where I'm looking for innovations is the software itself and I feel that if they went third party they'd have so much to gain. They'd be able to have so much more focus on what they do so great, and to me that is their games not their consoles. I can understand the argument that if they left the hardware business it would be somewhat of saying goodbye to an era but as a business they need to look forward. Obviously the Wii was an enormous success for Nintendo but I feel that it was an anomaly. Every Nintendo consoles (sales wise) was going downhill with the exception of the Wii. The Wii U is part of this downward slope and I know it's not their games being the problems, so that only leaves one other culprit.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

What if it's like OnLive, except they're 100% committed to the idea and no one actually has a physical version of the console in their own home, and they only exist in the cloud, so the only way to play NX is by buying their little streaming box/screen controller thing? Theoretically some kind of system like that could have an app that could run on lots of things?

Note: this is the craziest fucking idea ever and they should not do this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.