Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

not rolling pc exclusive just for the graphics

• 51 results
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By time allen

i am pretty much a pc exclusive gamer. i recently sold every piece of video gaming hardware* i had in my house because i figured that, as i am in possession of a perfectly capable system, and seeing how the vast majority of titles are released multi-platform these days, what use did i have left for a current generation console? general preference for mouse and keyboard controls might also play a very small part here, but is there anyone out there who shares these views, and doesn't just favour the pc because of the capabilities of venturing beyond 1920x1080?

i'm pretty sure this thread is insured at least one elitist. 

*besides my pc, of course. and my ps2. i'll never leave it. ever.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Modding is certainly one of the virtues of PC gaming that I have a high amount of interest in. Steam is also another primary reason. 

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By mazik765

I oddly enough prefer a controller in most cases (and the ability to increase my meaningless gamer score). Although I have been playing more and more PC games. It kind of sucks that I'm stuck to playing games from 2007 and before because my computer sucks :/

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

I play on PC because of all the hidden gems I find, Such as Minecraft, Face of Mankind, and Men Of War. And I also don't like being forced to deal with one company's mandates. When your on an Xbox or PS3 or Wii you often have to conform to what Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo give you. For example, I don't want to pay 100 bucks simply for a wireless adapter on my 360.

@mazik765 said:

" I oddly enough prefer a controller in most cases (and the ability to increase my meaningless gamer score). Although I have been playing more and more PC games. It kind of sucks that I'm stuck to playing games from 2007 and before because my computer sucks :/ "

For certain cases a Controller is a must, i need to get one so I have that option. I would have liked one for AC II because the keyboard controls are so damn goofy in that game.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

oh yeah, if it's for PC I'll usually get that (except one time I got metro 2033 for 360 because I didn't want to pay for it and gamefly... :/ )

mainly because steam

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By time allen
    @mazik765 said:
    " I oddly enough prefer a controller in most cases (and the ability to increase my meaningless gamer score). Although I have been playing more and more PC games. It kind of sucks that I'm stuck to playing games from 2007 and before because my computer sucks :/ "
    if your pc can't handle 2010's latest, there's no shame in playing older games. i've actually found myself to be playing much older games recently. i'm sort of bored with a lot of the newest pc releases (bear in mind that i am human and cannot play everything so yes, prejudice does take its toll here :D), so i've been hitting up a lot of knights of the old republic and doom 3 lately.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jams
    @Toms115 said:
    " i am pretty much a pc exclusive gamer. i recently sold every piece of video gaming hardware* i had in my house because i figured that, as i am in possession of a perfectly capable system, and seeing how the vast majority of titles are released multi-platform these days, what use did i have left for a current generation console? general preference for mouse and keyboard controls might also play a very small part here, but is there anyone out there who shares these views, and doesn't just favour the pc because of the capabilities of venturing beyond 1920x1080?

"  
    I wish I could just be PC exclusive (PC being my favorite 1st pic hands down). But I am a big fan of  games like Metal Gear Solid IV that only come out on PS3,  monster hunter 3 for wii, or Red Dead which came out on consoles only. So it's good for me to have all consoles so I can experience those certain exlusive games. But if I had to chose just one, I would say PC without hesitation.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By sjschmidt93

It's definitely not the controls. Other than FPS and RTS games MK is awful.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

I will always entrust myself to my PC. It has been with me through thick and then and through hell and back. I have a PS3, 360, and a Wii also, but if it came down to where I had to sell anything, my PC would be the last to go. And I told my girlfriend this before. I will sell her before my PC.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Rehehelly

Multiplayer FPS' I definitely prefer playing on a PC. However, I prefer the feel of a controller when playing games such as prototype since the keyboard just doesn't feel right. 

Plus a lot of games aren't multiplatform (or don't include the PC in that), so I opt to keep my xbox :P

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jams
    @Rehehelly said:
    " Multiplayer FPS' I definitely prefer playing on a PC. However, I prefer the feel of a controller when playing games such as prototype since the keyboard just doesn't feel right.    Plus a lot of games aren't multiplatform (or don't include the PC in that), so I opt to keep my xbox :P "
    Games like prototype could be fine on PC if the devs took the time to do it right, instead it's just a console port with quick default kb/m control setup. Dragon Age is an example of how to do PC controls right compared to console version.
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rehehelly
    @jams said:
    " @Rehehelly said:
    " Multiplayer FPS' I definitely prefer playing on a PC. However, I prefer the feel of a controller when playing games such as prototype since the keyboard just doesn't feel right.    Plus a lot of games aren't multiplatform (or don't include the PC in that), so I opt to keep my xbox :P "
    Games like prototype could be fine on PC if the devs took the time to do it right, instead it's just a console port with quick default kb/m control setup. Dragon Age is an example of how to do PC controls right compared to console version. "
    Dragon quest is an RPG though, the combat is a lot different. I see what you mean though, but developers probably will never take the time unless the game was specifically designed with PC players in mind, I bet prototype wasn't, they just ported it for some more money heh.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Demyx

Yeah, I see what you mean. I am very tempted to just go PS3 + PC for my gaming needs. Now I just need a job.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I usually tend to favor PC for graphics, but the controls are big one for me with PC. If I can get a game on PC and console, I get the PC version almost always. I have all 3 systems too.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I don't know a single PC gamer who doesn't have a controller and most have an XBOX 360 w/ Wireless adaptor.  Mouse and KB is great for RTS and FPS but controller is best for the rest, save for exception of flightsicks and steering wheel/pedal combos for simulators.  That said, Batman Arkham Asylum was particularly smooth on KB+M.

I roll on PC because I prefer the better resolution, mods and community it provides.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Mods, Steam, Graphics, Use of 360 controller, media station etc. but I still have my 360 and have alot of fun with it. It's possible to just go PC but I need a console aswell for games like Red Dead, you can be patient but why bother.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @ShaunassNZ said:

" Mods, Steam, Graphics, Use of 360 controller, media station etc. but I still have my 360 and have alot of fun with it. It's possible to just go PC but I need a console aswell for games like Red Dead, you can be patient but why bother. "

It's pretty much your one stop shop for instant gratification!  

I  use my 360 for the same thing. RDR was too good to pass up on and wait for a broken PC release that we have yet to know will even happen.

In the end give me a machine that can play video games and I'll be happy.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @wolf_blitzer85: Yea but I'd never go console only, only if I became old (which will never happen) and can't be bothered building a new PC.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Toms115 said:

"
    PC provides the ultimate backwards-compatibility. 

No Caption Provided
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By armaan8014
    @Toms115 said:
    "  as i am in possession of a perfectly capable system, and seeing how the vast majority of titles are released multi-platform these days, what use did i have left for a current generation console? "
    In fact a LOT of games are not released on the PC. It sucks when I miss out on them.

but you can do THIS

No Caption Provided
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @ShaunassNZ: I don't think cramming new hardware into a tower will ever get old for me. ;)
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @ShaunassNZ: I don't think cramming new hardware into a tower will ever get old for me. ;) "
    It's the gratification of building something that you will use everyday. You can look at your tower and say "I built you and, if I wanted to, take you apart piece by piece.*insert maniacal laugh* "
    skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By skavanker

Its expencive

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @wolf_blitzer85:  
    @W0lfbl1tzers:  

I'm confused by your names.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jams
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @ShaunassNZ: I don't think cramming new hardware into a tower will ever get old for me. ;) "
    It's the gratification of building something that you will use everyday. You can look at your tower and say "I built you and, if I wanted to, take you apart piece by piece.*insert maniacal laugh* " "
    That's true. Being able to build a PC makes me feel good. The PC I have now was actually a Gateway I bought because I thought I was done with building a new PC myself. Of course I ended up putting better stuff in it, and at one point I had to switch cases (it's back in its original case). Even when I look at it and see the gateway FX logo, I stil see something I took apart and rebuilt and customized. I get the same feeling with my 67 El Camino that I helped rebuild from just a body with my old man except that damn car doesn't run as good.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @jams: Just tell it what you tell your pc then kick it. I should be a mechanic.
    Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shabs

When I play a console game, I'm sitting on the couch and relaxed, and a litlte more removed, like when I'm watching TV.

When I'm playing a PC game I'm more intimately focused on details. 

I pick games based on that.  For example, I'd never play your typical single-player story-driven shooter on a PC because I want to zone out and feel enveloped in the world.  TF2 is my go-to PC game because it's all mechanical and demands attention and quick responses.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By time allen
    @teh_pwnzorer:

i never had enough determination to rip my ps2 dvds to my harddrive or to just download backup isos (of games that i already own, might i add). i'd rather have a physical copy of a ps2 game, too. brings back better memories. i do regularly load up my fusion megadrive emulator, though.

@armaan8014:

sorry, my bad, let me rephrase. 90% of games that i am interested in these days (a small number) are available on steam or shopto.com.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kishan6

modding 
    rts games 
    M&K

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

High rez textures, that's not availible elsewhere (because it's medium or low rez) Keyboard and mouse controls for ac curate aim, mods, texture pack, steam, free online except mmos, emulation, fast loading time, anti aliasing, aniostropic filtering, not static platform which is upgradable, using two monitors or three at once, gamepad support for pc games, indie games, multiplatform games, rts games, mmos, just to name a few.  

@Toms115 said:

"because of the capabilities of venturing beyond 1920x1080?

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By time allen
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

High rez textures, that's not availible elsewhere (because it's medium or low rez) Keyboard and mouse controls for ac curate aim, mods, texture pack, steam, free online except mmos, emulation, fast loading time, anti aliasing, aniostropic filtering, not static platform which is upgradable, using two monitors or three at once, gamepad support for pc games, indie games, multiplatform games, rts games, mmos, just to name a few.

"
    @Toms115 said:

"i'm pretty sure this thread is insured at least one elitist." 

jackpot.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Toms115: Exposing your comment and motive for this thread, I knew you were directly taking a cheapshot at me since the entire thread is a reply to my other closed thread about resolution. You shouldn't target specific users with your two faced behavior like a wimp when you say at least one elistist (I don't care btw) Also it's time to move up from your CRT monitor as i've been always telling you. I belive a widescreen display is more enjoyable than a SDTV, just as a widescreen montior is better than a CRT. However you refuse to even consider it calling it elistist behavior. Sorry you were so offended over my higher resolution thread where I think X1050 and up is better. Then you started to hate me for it thinking it's elite, when it's only a measly $200 or less monitor anyone can buy, instead of playing pc games on a square CRT monitor. $200 isn't elite for anything, maybe you have an inferiority complex or lack of funds for pc gaming.  

Look it's no big deal, I don't mind if anyone communicates indirectly to me, I am used to it by now. For the reply, I wasn't talking about my screenshot thread, I was talking about my more recent closed thread regarding 1080p resolution and trying to tell everyone why they are running sub X1050, they should throw that out and upgrade to 1080p because it's terrible. I hope you didn't mistaken that I am saying your monitor is inferior in that thread and my display is superior, I was just suggesting how it might improve ppl's gaming experience at higher resolutions. This thread does state high resolution or 1080p what else does pc gaming offer. You mentioned at least one elitist, then you said one elitist showed up right after I replied, you sort of signified to everyone you were referring to me or I was that one elitist you targeted. There are so many pc gamers posting, why am I the only elistist? However you can pretend it's not an indirect reply for all I care, I really don't mind if it was, like I said, I am used to it and I got your msg, the past is the past.

Still I provided you with great examples in this thread of what else is there besides resolution, pc gaming has a ton to offer. 

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ATrevelan
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Toms115: I knew you were directly taking a cheapshot at me, the entire thread is a reply to my other closed thread about resolution. You shouldn't target specific users with your two faced behavior like a wimp. Also it's time to move up from your CRT monitor as i've been always telling you. However you refuse to even consider it. Sorry you were so offended over my higher resolution thread and hate me for it thinking it's elite, when it's only a measly $200 monitor anyone can buy that will last you many years instead of playing pc games on a square monitor.   I provided you with great examples in this thread of what else is there besides resolution, pc gaming has a ton to offer. "
    PC gaming does have a lot to offer. Unfortunately, elitist tools also come with the territory. 

Personally, my favorite thing about PC gaming is the software price point. Games go down in price incredibly fast, and they typically start off $10 cheaper than their console counterparts.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Three0neFive
    @skavanker said:
    " Its expencive "
    So is an education, apparently.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @ATrevelan: There is no licensing fees for pc games unlike consoles. Usually they have to pay a console maker about $12 to make a console game and distribute it. That's why pc games are slightly cheaper and yes I do like the price. Also I do like how steam is always getting bargain price sales. However it's sort of offensive when EA or ubisoft thinks they can charge you $60 for a pc game, yet good thing the price dropped on steam for their recent games, now it's affordable. I bought assassin's creed 2 for only $26.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RE_Player1

The great things about PCs:  Steam, mouse and keyboard are the best when it comes to FPS and RTS, mods, games are cheaper on PC, 360 controller makes a great gamepad, fast loading times, free online ( except mmos which is understandable seeing as they need server money)
    The bad things about PCs: Hardware problems, your machine becomes outdated in like 2 years, developers don't support the PC ( random example but where the hell is Gears of War 2 and Halo 3??) , piracy, PCs are expensive 

I feel like the major problem holding the PC back, aside from piracy being the big one, is that system requirements increase significantly year after year. I think its better now than before but still no one wants to feel like their machine is outdated after a year. Look at Crysis, yes the game was beautiful but only if you had a monster of a machine at the time. Valve and Bioware are  the great PC developers in my opinion because not only are their games great on the platform but you don't need a ridiculous machine to play their games, I play Left 4 Dead 2 perfectly fine on an old macbook running bootcamp. I'm getting a laptop soon for university and I hope that it lasts me awhile in the gaming realm. 

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By triple07

Modding is pretty much the only thing I miss from my PC gaming days. Man some of those mods were really good, most are utter garbage but still occasionally you see some real gems. I do sometimes wish I had a PC for some of the smaller games that don't get released for consoles so someday I might upgrade my ancient PC or install bootcamp on my Mac. I do agree that when I did play PC games it wasn't really for the graphics it was more for the better online and modding.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MajorToms

Though I have to admit I own an Xbox 360, I do prefer to play PC with the majority of my time. I can't say steam doesn't influence this at all, because it's played a big roll in growing my game library at a very reasonable price. When it comes to playing FPS, RTS and RPG games, I almost certainly prefer a Mouse and Keyboard, but for other types of games I might pull out my PS2 controller for use with my pc games. 

There isn't much I can't say about PC that will make console just sound bad. I love the fact that you can mod PC games to fix bugs that never get patched. There is also a lot of free content that gets released to games. Graphically, the PC will never be beat by a console. Provided your PC is up to par. I'm currently rocking a pre-built gateway laptop and my new desktop is down and not currently near my current situation. There are occasions I prefer a console game to it's PC counterpart, but that's usually when it's built for a console and ported to PC. It's just never right.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Toms115 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:

i never had enough determination to rip my ps2 dvds to my harddrive or to just download backup isos (of games that i already own, might i add). i'd rather have a physical copy of a ps2 game, too. brings back better memories. i do regularly load up my fusion megadrive emulator, though.

"
    There are benefits to playing (genuine copies) of PS2 games on the PC: You can enable various speed-ups to improve framerate and increase the resolution in games like Shadow of the Colossus...although this is a graphics related benefit, low framerate affects gameplay.  Savestates also work with PS2 games.
    Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shabs
    @Fragstoff said:
    " @Shuborno said:
    "When I'm playing a PC game I'm more intimately focused on details. "
    thats sexy "
    No kidding.  TF2 with max settings?  Hot stuff.  
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By time allen
    @HitmanAgent47:

i wasn't targeting anyone, just merely pointing out the simple fact i would be guaranteed at least one elitist in my thread. i rarely rummaged through your screenshots thread, and to think that i would go as far as to make an entire thread just to make you feel all insecure and sad is a little bit ridiculous.

i've already made it clear to you through wall-to-wall messages that i do not want an lcd monitor ,as my 22" iiyama crt monitor is a decent monitor, the only downside being that it weighs a lot. why would i go out and spend upwards of £120 for a decent lcd monitor when i am happy with what i have? i'm only 17 - i'm not rolling in the benjamins.

but anyway, steering back on topic, i definitely agree with (most) of the things you state the pc platform has to offer, and it is why i continue to game mostly just on pc. i just find it somewhat humourous that the very first things you suggested were "High rez textures, that's not availible elsewhere (because it's medium or low rez)." Given that the title of the thread signifies an anti-"just for the graphics" attitude, i think my laughter was justified. just light humour is all, no need to get so "i'm going to tell you what to do now" on me. if you enjoy your pc and its extended capabilities, then great for you, i hope your happy, just don't try and push your musings on lcd screens on me when i've already made it pretty clear that my 22" iiyama crt monitor is the tits, thus nullifying the need for an lcd monitor. 

hope this clears some of that up and makes it possible for discussion to stay on-topic.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By time allen
    @teh_pwnzorer:

hmm... wasn't aware of any of that. i did rip metal gear solid 3 to my hard drive on an older rig, but it didn't go well. i'll be sure to try it again someday.

@RE_Player92:

i love valve, bioware, blizzard etc. for those reason. games do not need to be super high-spec to be enjoyable. i've heard complaints from some about how the source engine is very outdated and needs renovation.

...so what? it doesn't need to look eye blisteringly good to be good. shouldn't we be more concerned with unique and well implemented art styles, intricately designed methods of storytelling, and well produced games over graphics? perfect examples of this are games such as half life 2, which looks very mid-2000s but is still one of the best games ever made (in my humble opinion, of course); diablo and starcraft, two very old games that still provide excellent sessions of gaming; and countless others, such as bioware's kotor; the secret of monkey island; and the list could go on but i'm tired and need a nap.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Famov

The color of my name is reason enough not to solo PC, but I do some gaming on mine.
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I've been a console gamer for years but I decided to take the plunge and build myself a PC to celebrate my first grown up job for about £500 and I haven't looked back since.  The PC gaming community is so much better than anything I've seen on Xbox Live or PSN, people are a whole lot friendlier and funny and the enthusiasm they put into random games just for the love of playing them is amazing.  Just look at this NanoSuitNinja guy.  He's mental.  For no reason he decided to play a pretty hard game in a ridiculous way for no reason other than he loves Crysis and loves showing off. 

I still use my 360 for odd games (RDR being the most recent) but I'm so glad I built a PC.  If you're on the fence, just do it, build a PC.  You won't regret it :)

kmv_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kmv_007
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:

"The PC gaming community is so much better than anything I've seen on Xbox Live or PSN, people are a whole lot friendlier and funny and the enthusiasm they put into random games just for the love of playing them is amazing."

Definitely one reason I hadn't thought of, but it's an excellent point.  Whenever I'm on Xbox Live, I WILL hear someone being very immature - excessive cursing (like, 12-year-old just learned how fucking awesome the f-word is to use so let's say it every third fucking word), homophobia, etc.  When playing TF2 on PC, hearing that stuff is a rarity - it happens, sure, but not EVERY TIME I play.  The PC gaming community seems much more laid back and chill.  

I think my biggest reason I love PC gaming is the price.  Sure, the initial investment is more than a console, but the games are ALWAYS cheaper.  Not just initial prices, since they don't include a licensing fee to MS/Sony/Nintendo/Gizmondo/whoever, but the sales are insane!  Steam started it, but everyone else is competing now and it's AWESOME.  Just this weekend you could pick up Metro 2033, Red Faction Guerrilla, and Saints Row 2 for $22.50.  How much would that be for all three of those games on 360?  $60+?  Considering how many games I own on PC, it's cheaper to pay $600 up front for the hardware, then save money over several years on the games.
    AriKagura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AriKagura

I wouldn't mind playing PC games more if it weren't for the odd kinds of DRM that publishers have been coming up with lately. It's crazy. Ubisoft primarily as they make some nice games, but I'm not too certain about the DRM they currently use.

Maybe I shouldn't worry too much but I'm kind of leery of what kind of craziness publishers will do to minimize piracy, and how it might affect me as a consumer.

kmv_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kmv_007
    @AriKagura said:
    "  I wouldn't mind playing PC games more if it weren't for the odd kinds of DRM that publishers have been coming up with lately. It's crazy. Ubisoft primarily as they make some nice games, but I'm not too certain about the DRM they currently use. Maybe I shouldn't worry too much but I'm kind of leery of what kind of craziness publishers will do to minimize piracy, and how it might affect me as a consumer. "
    This shouldn't turn into a DRM rant thread, but I can't help myself.  I think DRM frustrates PC users and is an inconvenience to developers/publishers, but I don't think it's enough of a factor to keep the majority of gamers away from PC gaming.  The (alleged) high cost, the knowledge needed (hardware drivers, server browsers, even system requirements), and the differences between couch + TV vs. desk chair + smaller monitor (not to mention laptops outsell desktops annually) all factor into keeping hardcore PC gaming a smaller market compared to consoles. 
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jams

Hardware problems, your machine becomes outdated in like 2 years    

That doesn't really happen anymore. At least not since the Xbox 360 was released. You could have a computer that was built that same year and still hold up at least on medium settings on PC. You can also get RAM and graphics cards really cheap these days. It's the easiest way to upgrade a computer.  Most people have PC's already anyways, they might was well buy a dedicated graphics card because most of the time, that's all it takes. (don't take that as some kind of insult to people who can't or don't want to upgrade. It's just an observation of mine)

I friggen love the computer. I've loved it since I would go out to the garage as a kid and play ninja turtles and x-men on my dads windows 3.1 (or even earlier) pc. After that we had a win 95 computer with a turbo button that went from 33Mhz to 75Mhz. Ski free, Chips Challenge, alone in the dark, duke nukem 3d and the 3d realm demos that came the duke3d cd, Jimmy Houston Fishing, Hell Cab and a shitty ton of shareware games were all I played. I also had Metal Gear too but lost the damn manual (you had to enter codes in the manual to get in the game DRM style). So me and the PC go way back. It really feels like I have had the same gaming machine since I could first play. It doesn't feel that way on consoles.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By AndrewGaspar

My PC isn't nearly at the level my PS3 is, technically, but it has become my main platform recently. That partly had to do with me going to college, but I've found that at a point, graphical fidelity stops being important. The proficient PC developers know how to create an engine that scales well. Valve games run incredibly smooth while still providing high levels of graphics at 1920 x 1080 of my TV screen. And the mouse beats an analog stick any day, though I do miss the buttons of a game pad (much better than awkward finger straddling on the keyboard).

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By theduke

I prefer pc for all the benefits that are always stated but mostly because of the back catalog and continuous support
    console multiplayer games tend to die much quicker than pc games and I also prefer a server window to matchmaking
    the community is supportive and mods extend games so much 
    Plus I love Team Fortress 2 which when I played on my friends 360, only like one match with somewhere around 8 players

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.