Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Why the 2011 gaming platform of choice is the PC...

• 87 results
    ziekial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By ziekial

The first game on the list is Shogun II: Total War. That's when I knew that PC will reign supreme. The rest is just icing. Lots and lots of icing.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By ApertureSilence

Whoa, Jagged Alliance 3?!?!?! 

Thanks for sharing this amazing list.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ziekial said:
    " The first game on the list is Shogun II: Total War. That's when I knew that PC will reign supreme. The rest is just icing. Lots and lots of icing. "
    This + The Witcher 2.
    poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By poser
    @OdinsThunder:  Kids don't care about specs anymore, all they want to do is unlocked their guns.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Meowshi said:
    " Do you guys really think these games are exciting?    Really? "
    As opposed to Modern Borefare, Gears of Bore and God of Bore?  There are a ton of console games which are just minor renditions on those three themes and they're mostly fucking incredibly and unbelievably boring.  The other majority are shovelware and in between those two piles of boredom and crapware sit a few original and interesting IPs, most of which are on PC too.  60% of the games in that list won't ever see the light of day on a console and the other 40% won't be playable on one even when they do.  It's also been confirmed that the dudes who made Kinect for MS (no BAMKudo didn't make Kinect, it's licensed technology from some Israeli company) are planning a PC product, probably via Logitech or somesuch and games will be made which support the device.  Motion controls on PC could be a lot more interesting, given how much more data a gaming PC can handle vs the current consoles.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Franstone

Having a PC isn't as extreme as paying $2,000 every year... 
    You can spend $1,500 initially (if you save money by going AMD). 
    Then every 2+ years you spend $300-$400 to swap in the latest greatest video card if you are the type that wants the best in their system. 
    I've always felt that upgrading my vid card is like getting a whole new console every couple years, instead of dealing with the hardware they keep us on, kinda exciting if ya ask me... 

I keep seeing people say that their is no reason to have a PC because the consoles are neck and neck as well. 
    Maybe in 2005 the consoles caught up as far as processing power and graphic capabilities but the PC video card maket has advanced tremendously since. 
    A lot of games are just ports so that in no way means they are equal, even if it is a simple port it still looks sharper on a PC with better frame rates as long as you have the power.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Hunkulese
    @anterline said:
    " PC gaming is too damn expensive and too complex. Most people just want to insert the game and play it. "
    You were able to create an account on Giant Bomb, pay for a subscription AND figure out how to post on the forum. Yet installing a PC game and pressing go is too complex?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Scooper

The good thing about PCs right now is because the console gen has lasted way longer than usual it means the gaming PC has much much more power than the 360 for example but you can get 1 or even 2 year old parts for dirt cheap and still play the 360 ports at max settings to look better then the console. So you can make a pretty cheap PC and still smash most games. There's not many interesting games that are requireing state of the art PCs because most games are being made for consoles and then the textures and things like that are being upped for the PC release. You can make a cheap gaming PC right now and it'll be great and it'll play pretty much any console port you want at great framerates.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By zityz

Guild Wars 2 and Torchlight 2 are going to be both amazing. Everything else is just icing on the sex cake. 

EDIT. Also, I'm going to need a bigger hard drive.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By audiosnag

I have a dream, that one day we will rise up as a united group and live out the true nature of our creed, "We hold these truths to be self evident, all platforms have great games to play"
    I have a dream, that one day, on the electronic tubes of the internet former fanboy rivals will be able to play games together as a brother(sister)hood.
    I have a dream, that one day, the forums of gaming sites, a place rife with trolls and tards, will be transformed into an oasis of acceptance and understanding of another platform. 
    I have a dream, that my choice of interactive electronic entertainment will be judged, not by the platform upon which it is played, but by the content of its software.

Yeah using Martin Luther Kings speech on the subject is pretty ridiculous but then, so are fanboys. It would be so nice to read a thread that doesn't devolve into this console vs pc crap.

NowSayPillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NowSayPillow

To be completely honest none of the games on that list interested me until he hit the multiplatform section...

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Hunkulese

90% of the games I'm interested in were in the multiplatform section. I had no idea some of those games were even being made. Hopefully American McGee's Alice II doesn't suck. 

anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By anterline
    @Hunkulese said:

" @anterline said:

" PC gaming is too damn expensive and too complex. Most people just want to insert the game and play it. "
    You were able to create an account on Giant Bomb, pay for a subscription AND figure out how to post on the forum. Yet installing a PC game and pressing go is too complex? "
    Just installing? I don't think you fully understand that trying to find the PC/hardware that is capable of running such game and whether or not its compatible. That's my problem. 
    and its still too expensive to even upgrade and you have to repeat it every year.  

Not everyone knows how PC's work, heck I'm studying it and I'm still confused.
    invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By invadernick

I've been spending more time playing PC games this year than any other platform. I'd say it's been a pretty damn good year to be a PC kid.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @anterline said:
    " @Hunkulese said:

" @anterline said:

You were able to create an account on Giant Bomb, pay for a subscription AND figure out how to post on the forum. Yet installing a PC game and pressing go is too complex? "
    Just installing? I don't think you fully understand that trying to find the PC/hardware that is capable of running such game and whether or not its compatible. That's my problem. and its still too expensive to even upgrade and you have to repeat it every year.   Not everyone knows how PC's work, heck I'm studying it and I'm still confused. "
    lol I think you should just stick with your nintendo wii and the real men will have their PC's. You don't have to upgrade your PC every year, technology cycles are much longer now. 
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @Hunkulese said:
    " 90% of the games I'm interested in were in the multiplatform section. I had no idea some of those games were even being made. Hopefully American McGee's Alice II doesn't suck.  "
    Yes and the platform of choice to play those multi-platform games will be PC.
    anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By anterline
    @OdinsThunder said:
    " @anterline said:
    " @Hunkulese said:

" @anterline said:

Just installing? I don't think you fully understand that trying to find the PC/hardware that is capable of running such game and whether or not its compatible. That's my problem. and its still too expensive to even upgrade and you have to repeat it every year.   Not everyone knows how PC's work, heck I'm studying it and I'm still confused. "
    lol I think you should just stick with your nintendo wii and the real men will have their PC's. You don't have to upgrade your PC every year, technology cycles are much longer now.  "
    Don't but in to an argument if you have nothing decent to say. Real men? How sad can you be? 
    ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ryoma122

yes i can understand why you would think that

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Andorski

Unless you are a an avid RTS gamer, the exclusive section of the PC retail gaming line-up is average at best.  Indie gaming: this is the strength of the platform and that is what will keep PC gaming fresh while console gamers keep playing unoriginal, mainstream focus tested experiences.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Roger778

Great list, but the truth is I've sworn off PC Gaming, and just play through my favorite classic games, like Splinter Cell for example, whenever I need a gaming fix on my computer.  The truth is, upgrading my computer to play the latest games is too expensive, and I'm on a tight budget every month.  That's why I have gone over to the Consoles sides.  I love my X-Box 360, and I think I always will. 

However, if Beyond Good and Evil 2 really does come out next year, I might make an exception. 
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Gaff

Here's an idea: Make a list of all the releases for a specific platform, then call that platform the leading platform.

Also, isn't Minecraft already out?
    Also, referencing IGN scores? Really? I mean really?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#72  Edited By Levio

Diablo 3 in 2011?  Hah.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sn1PeR

Diablo 3, The Witcher 2, Crysis 2 -- what more could I possibly want? 

Consoles have very clearly hit a wall in the graphics department.  It's time for a hardware refresh if they would like to continue improving things. 

I'm finding it harder and harder to play games on the xbox because of this.. if it's out for the PC I'll pick it up on Steam for 5760x1080 goodness :)

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @Sn1PeR said:
    " Diablo 3, The Witcher 2, Crysis 2 -- what more could I possibly want?  Consoles have very clearly hit a wall in the graphics department.  It's time for a hardware refresh if they would like to continue improving things.  I'm finding it harder and harder to play games on the xbox because of this.. if it's out for the PC I'll pick it up on Steam for 5760x1080 goodness :) "
    Yes, I've noticed many old PC gamers are ditching the HD consoles and moving back to the supreme gaming platform. I don't think there will be a hardware refresh for a long time, and this is great for the PC. The only consoles games which interest me next year are coming out on PC anyway.  

You forgot Rage, Doom 4 and Battlefield 3 :D
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By HitmanAgent47

This blog of his was to show that there was actual pc games when ppl said there was none or only multiplatform games. That's the point of the blog and it will continue to be the point of his blog. It's not like, here are all the games you are going to play.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By niamahai
    @Levio said:

" Diablo 3 in 2011?  Hah. "

*Turns on Michael Patcher mode*

Not really.
    Judging form the amount of material they release to the press, and seeing there is no major announcement yet for a Blizzard product for 2011, D3 out in '11 will happen.

And with this, I suggest you to buy some Activision-Blizzard stock.

*Turns off Michael Patcher mode* 
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By 02sfraser

Whoever said PC gaming is dead was wrong. Of course I own a Mac so it will never be my choice of gaming machine but it definitely has some great games coming out!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By Tennmuerti

My personal list of games I will be playing out of those:

Might and Magic Heroes
    Jagged Alliance 3 
    Dungeons
    Stronglhold 3 (if they don't screw it up)
    Dawn of War 2 - Retribution
    Diablo 3 (don't think it will come out 2011)
    Witcher 2 - FUCK YES
    Torchlight 2
    Neverwinter  (don't think it will come out 2011) 
    Guild Wars 2

Plus of course all the good FPS titles are better on PC.
    I will still be obviously playing certain exclusives on consoles.

@Ahmad_Metallic

said:

" too bad im a PC gamer who doesnt like RTS games.. cuz thats the only thing that list is showing off "

scroll down the page

@anterline

said:

" @Hunkulese said:

" @anterline said:

Hard to buy?
    Go to a shop, tell them your budget. Done.
    Anything above $1000 will run any game out there, maybe not completely maxed but it will run them. You really don't have to worry about compatibility when buying a PC these days unless you are trying to build your own one from scratch. You also don't have to upgrade every year. Like a previous poster said, hardware cycles are much longer now thanks to the fact that PS3s and 360s aren't going anywhere. A decent PC can last you for several years or more depending on how picky you are about graphics. Honestly to get a decent gaming PC these days, you don't need to know anything about PCs unless you want to. This isn't the 90s. It's as complicated and as difficult as you want it to be. Buy a premade rig in a local shop or make one yourself, either way. This honestly reads like you are just repeating a lot of misinformation about PC gaming.
    Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By Ramyun

Only PC exclusive I'm interested in there is Diablo III. It's not going to be my gaming platform of choice. Sorry.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Gargantuan

Why are people saying that you need to upgrade computers every year? That's bullshit. My computer is a couple of years old and I can still play most games on maximum.

But I shouldn't expect much from Giantbomb since it's primarily a console site.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By I_smell

Medeival RTS games? Oh fucking boy!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic
    said:

" too bad im a PC gamer who doesnt like RTS games.. cuz thats the only thing that list is showing off "

scroll down the page

"
    i did :P the rest are either multiplatform games, or some puzzle/RPGs.. im not saying they're bad, im just saying that list is mainly showing off those mindblowing and visually stunning RTSes, and i cant stand those, and im a PC gamer !
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Ahmad_Metallic: your a pc gamer? I didn't get the memo. Hello pc gamer, hello.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Meowshi

Reading through this thread, two things come to mind.

For one thing, I think that buying a computer or console should depend more on which exclusives you prefer rather than how the multiplatform games compare.  People hate missing out on entire games (sometimes even genres) because they don't own a particular system or gaming platform.  While the quality of the multiplatform games should be taken into consideration, it should not be a deciding factor IMO.  As long as you get to experience the game, then you win as far as I'm concerned.  Missing a great game that you might have loved is far worse than having to play the slightly inferior version of another game

Secondly, I think that people who are computer savvy shouldn't be overly-dismissive of the concerns of people who aren't.  There's seems to be this persistent attitude that just because something is easy for you, then it should be easy for everyone.  Suggesting that someone will be okay if they grab a thousand dollars, blindly walk into the nearest computer shop, and fling their cash at the first thing they see is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Asking the employees anything at places like Best Buy is nothing but an exercise in frustration.  Listening to them, you'd leave with the idea that a $400 Compaq laptop is some kind of gaming powerhouse.  Sure, it's the sort of thing a little research could easily solve, but even then it can look like nothing but WORDS WORDS WORDS to you if you're clueless. 

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BounceDK

2004 hardware vs 2011 .. Pretty obvious its the pc lol.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By NTM

Dead Space 2, and Crysis 2. Though I'm probably getting them on PS3. Since I play the original Dead Space on PS3 and I probably can't get Crysis 2 to play on my PC even if I can get the first to without hesitation. Either way, I'm not going to get them on the 360 since I think Crysis 2 will be inferior on 360 and... well stated above for Dead Space 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@BounceDK said:
    " 2004 hardware vs 2011 .. Pretty obvious its the pc lol. "
    This. Although to be fair, it's 2005/2006 hardware unless you are on wii.

People complain about the price, but I have a relatively low end gaming PC that plays most things, and really all it is is a Acer desktop PC from 2007 with a £75 graphics card (£75 last january), a 3 year old dual core processor that came with my computer and 2GB of RAM, and I play most games that aren't too processor heavy. Left 4 Dead 2 runs beautifully, Call of Duty games always do and Dragon Age runs fine too, when you start looking at processor heavy games like Crysis, Bad Company 2 or Red Faction Guerilla it hitches up, but that's just my processor. If I spent the money I would spend on a new games console I would be fully up to speed.

As for games, there is nothing I am looking forward to more than rFactor 2. It's a racing simulator for the PC, but all of the content (that you want to play at least) is user created, and some really amazing guys have been working on things ready for this game for a long time.... 

No Caption Provided
    People talk about GT5 having 1000 cars, rFactor 1 has over 1000 tracks, let alone cars. And it doesn't look too bad either: 
      I just needed to get that out of me. Carry on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.