Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony Announces PlayStation 4 Pro, Slim PS4

• 193 results
    MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The lack of 4K UHD Blu-ray support is baffling. Sony Pictures was one of the first studios to push titles on that format, and the Xbox One S does it for $100 bucks less.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seems like a reasonable step up and doesn't create the split in the market some people have been talking about. It seems like Sony can't win here because the people complaining that this isn't a big enough step up are the same ones who would complain if games were no longer compatible with the original PS4 model. This allows those who have invested in 4K TV's to get some value out of them without alienating those who haven't.

Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Coming from a guy who just bought the Xbox One S who had a 4K with nothing to really play on it until now, I'm super happy the consoles are getting behind it.

I have a 4K TV, I want this thing, I'll sell my old PS4, & come out on top. The biggest complaint I've around anything console 4K is it isn't going to be 60FPS or not native 2160P. They talk about how with $400 they could get better, but what about those who don't already have gaming PCs, or a PC that could support that card w/o buying a new PC altogether. I have a PC with i7 4770K at 3.5GHZ, GTX 660, & 8GB Ram a friend & I made back almost 3 years ago & barely play it because it needs a better card & more ram now to run most games out now better. I'm not the most tech savvy guy, & I don't have all the money for this (I'm lucky to make $300 a week) but i know it'll cost me way more to get my PC up & running for 4K then to buy a PS4 Pro & still be happy with it. I get the fact that PC is more powerful this, & you can get more for buck if you buy the right parts, but it's so expensive & they still can't even get 4K 60FPS across everything. This is promising 4K, Sony exclusive titles from now on, I don't have to worry if it's gonna run, crash, not work right with my PC parts, & while not being the 100% top of the line still work & be playable nonetheless. That's worth $400 (or less) in my book.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm guessing I won't own a 4K/HDR compatible TV until sometime in 2017 or 18 at the earliest. Bummer about no 4K Blu-ray support. That makes it much less attractive to me. I'm going to take a wait and see approach on how it improves old games. That's not really a draw for me. Although Bloodborne in 60 frames...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If is stack two ps4's on each other and put a SLI cable on it do i got a PS4 Pro ? :P

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stinger061: They can't really boost big 3 years into a cycle. Microsoft are taking a bigger approach because they have to but Sony's shown more here than Microsoft did at E3. And they have a date, whereas Scorpio is some time next year.

They're not going toe-to-toe in the same window and not exactly with comparable specs, but the Pro is out for Christmas. Microsoft's risk probably won't gain much.

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

@paulunga said:

$2500? What the hell? There's plenty decent 4K/HDR TVs on the market for around 500-600. Here's one I googled at random (note: it's not actually 500-600 because it's huge):

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55UH6150-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01CHZXLG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473282949&sr=8-1&keywords=LG+UHD

Jeff said 4k and HDR. That TV does not support HDR.

Jeff is most likely talking about an OLED TV, which are even snazzier and have more contrast than anything else out there. For someone who plays video games for a living, buying a really high end TV instead of a "decent" one makes sense.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I expect Playstation 4 Pro S with 4K Blu-Ray playback and VR.

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Tortoise

Did they say if there is there is a benefit over the standard model if you don't have (or want) a 4k tv? like, will games run at 1080 with a smoother frame rate?

Avatar image for deactivated-5abe166c91d5d
    deactivated-5abe166c91d5d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulunga: My guess is he's probably talking about an OLED TV. In the UK they sell for around £2000 which is about $2500. OLED screens look great when seen in person and if placed side by side with a LCD display I can clearly see how much better they look.

hasuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulunga said:

$2500? What the hell? There's plenty decent 4K/HDR TVs on the market for around 500-600. Here's one I googled at random (note: it's not actually 500-600 because it's huge):

$2500 is for OLED screens. If you haven't seen one go look at them in the store before buying an old LCD screen.

Honestly the difference is kind of mind blowing, and well worth waiting an extra year or two before upgrading to a new TV. If for no other reason than that a 4k TV that isn't huge (80"+) or OLED is simply not worth buying. You can't see the difference between a 1080 screen at normal TV viewing distance anyways.

OLED screens on the other hand are something different. They are so slim and so colorful that it looks like a good photo print at first.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Ezekiel

What a surprise...

I'm just gonna keep waiting for MakeMKV to hopefully crack 4K discs. It already recognizes the discs with my LG WH16NS40, apparently.

No Caption Provided

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It looks like the triple-cheeseburger of PS4s. Silly.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

But can it display more than 400 flying monkeys on screen? (iPhone 7 press conference reference).

I figured that would be the price of the slim but I was hoping for a bigger price cut. At just 100 dollar between them I see no reason to get a PS4 slim over a pro. They should have made it 199 or at least 249 dollars.

billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I still haven't picked up a PS4, so this is pretty much a no-brainer at this point, but its lack of UHD Blu-Ray support is really weird and is making me pump the brakes a little.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Rise of the Tomb Raider guy on the live stream said earlier they're going to have 3 modes for ps4 pro :

4k mode

1080P high framerate mode targeting 60fps

1080p 30fps locked with all the graphical bells and whistles

That sounds awesome and hopefully every game going forward starts handling it like this.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else remember the Xbox 360 Pro and Elite models?

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope these consoles make my PC ports not get downgraded graphics.

sunbeam4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if that locks 1080p@60fps I'm in.
    PS3 emulation would be a real treat.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hasuto: @jkrowling12345: Ah, gotcha. Well, I still have a 32" 720p TV from 2005 so any modern TV looks better than what I have. :P

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

First, the price increase of PS Plus, and now a slightly more powerful console than the original PS4? Microsoft is going to take over when their new console comes out next year, which is pretty much an entire new machine that will be far more powerful. How the mighty have fallen.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mrcraggle

Thanks, I looked it up and I thought HDR was basically just 10 bit colour but it does go much further as it allows for many more stops of dynamic range. Getting 10 bit colour is already a pain in the butt on PC as you need to have a specific graphics card (not usually great for gaming) so I wonder if this push on consoles will see an effect on PCs such as GPUs and monitors.

It's just weird to think of HDR and gaming because it's one of those things that was touted years ago and is now made fun of with that Half Life 2 coast thing.

@conmulligan said:

@mrcraggle said:

With all this talk of HDR, it's really just marketing speak for 10-bit colour, right?

Not exactly, but bit depth is a part of it. It also covers things like colour gamut, luminance and black level. Like most industry standards, HDR10 and Dolby Vision are mostly just a collection of existing technologies and standards, some of them quite old.

Sony said HDR is also coming to all PS4s, is this confirmed for games or just streaming video content?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

So there been talk about how this isn't as powerful as people want it to be and saying that the slim Xbox one and Scorpio has better features. But here the problem I still have with the Microsoft platform, where the games "I" want? They lost all of the Japanese developers I care about and the games I look forward to are on PS4. I guess it just me who like more diverse games than others.

And for the PC dudes who are still saying get a PC, is it that easy for everyone to build one or buy a powerful PC to run games? You make it sound like the everyday person can walk into a store and grab a Desktop or laptop to play every game that is coming out. Not many can do that and will stick to consoles cause it simple.

Disclaimer: I have a pretty nice PC but only cause it was a leftover from my older sister when she left home. Basically, I got lucky on having a nice PC that I can build on top of.

thizzle7xu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By thizzle7xu

I find it really weird that you could actually have a richer looking (e.g. more effects and denser environments) and smoother playing game with a 1080p TV than you would with a 4K TV. If I had the choice between 4K 30 fps and 1080p 60 fps, give me great framerate with still great resolution over super high, starting to get into diminishing returns resolution with minimum acceptable framerate any day.

I kind of don't see the point of upgrading to a 4K TV when the 1080p experience is probably actually better with PS4 Pro (if you just want smooth framerate).

@rangers517 said:

The Rise of the Tomb Raider guy on the live stream said earlier they're going to have 3 modes for ps4 pro :

4k mode

1080P high framerate mode targeting 60fps

1080p 30fps locked with all the graphical bells and whistles

That sounds awesome and hopefully every game going forward starts handling it like this.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dumb ass just pre-ordered one. I need something for PS Vue on a second TV, and the Vue interface on Roku is awful, so I might as well demote my old PS4 to streaming duty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 Pro is just a fad.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#79 riostarwind  Moderator

Since I was expecting this to cost a 100$ more this seems like a reasonable deal for someone that wanted to replace his PS4 that likes to spit out discs randomly. I assume the PS4 Pro has a physical button...

dopeskill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably end up getting this whenever I get a 4K TV...as long as I can transfer P.T. to it.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

I feel pretty comfortable skipping on this one and holding onto my regular ass ps4. If anything i'll just buy a new hard drive for it.

I think that having a ps4 for my jrpg needs and having a pretty solid PC for other stuff AND microsoft exclusives puts my current gaming situation in a good spot

dehersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By dehersh

Currently I do not own a ps4 and when I'm ready to buy I'll probably buy this one. Regardless of having a 4k tv or not. Mostly because why wouldn't you want the "superior" version. It may cost an extra 100 but I think it's worth it.

Now if I already owned one I think I would have a much harder time justifying it.

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't be able to use this on UPF then, I guess. Fingers crossed for a rebranding!

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By BrainScratch

I've been thinking about it and I actually start to think that this might have been the best way they could find to introduce this console.

Before we had any information about what Neo was going to be, the main fear was how this new console could alienate the owners of current consoles. PS4 Pro isn't overpowered enough to make existing users feel like they have old hardware but it's new and different enough to attract new buyers. Also, now that it has been introduced, their audience will be much more comfortable with the announcement of another, more powered Playstation Pro in one year or two. Am I too crazy for think of it this way?

Anyway, I'm really curious to hear what the next Bombcast about this, specially to know @jeff's thoughts.

thizzle7xu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By thizzle7xu

The lack of an UHD 4K Blu-ray drive is baffling for so many reasons. Sony is the primary creator and pusher of Blu-ray, they are pushing HDR and 4K over anything else with this thing, and even the $300 Xbox One S has UHD Blu-ray support, so the cost can't be that prohibitive at $400. Weird...

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Really curious what the framerate will be on the standard ps4 if the pro offers double the framerate.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna have to wait and see how much better games are gonna run on the Pro vs the standard model. I don't have a 4K TV nor plan to in the near future so that doesn't concern me, what concerns me is the performance. If the majority of the games going forward can run at 60FPS that's a way bigger incentive for me to buy it instead.

Acornactivist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shockingly disappointing reveal.I wasn't expected something revolutionary... but this absolutely did not warrant the preamble they gave this event.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will it make the games look/ run better on a 1080p display? going into this thats what i was expecting from this thing. but if its just making the same games run the same but in 4k then im not interested. i want to get a ps4, but i dont plan on upgrading my tv any time soon. it seems to me like sony and microsoft are pushing little too hard into this 4k thing. high end pc's are barely able to push 4k 60. and from what i gather just reading through forums and junk it seems like most gamers are more concerned with a higher frame rate than higher resolution. if this thing will make games look and run better at 1080 then i will buy it since i dont already own a ps4 but if will largely run he same then i will likely get the slim.

nickystixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I am suprised at how underwhelming the PS4 Pro sounds. I have no interest in 4K anything so the PS4 Pro is obviously not meant for me but damn thats all it is oh well.

PS4 Slim is more in range of what I want to buy. Just wish it came with 1TB hard drive at least. But what evs. $299 for a ps4 sounds like thier finally at the sweet spot.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mattimus_prime said:

will it make the games look/ run better on a 1080p display? going into this thats what i was expecting from this thing. but if its just making the same games run the same but in 4k then im not interested. i want to get a ps4, but i dont plan on upgrading my tv any time soon. it seems to me like sony and microsoft are pushing little too hard into this 4k thing. high end pc's are barely able to push 4k 60. and from what i gather just reading through forums and junk it seems like most gamers are more concerned with a higher frame rate than higher resolution. if this thing will make games look and run better at 1080 then i will buy it since i dont already own a ps4 but if will largely run he same then i will likely get the slim.

It isn't actually making games run in 4K at all. It doesn't have the power.

It will make your games look better on a 1080p display. The best part of the footage to look at for that is Paragon, which had a lot better foliage and lighting running on Pro.

This will all vary game by game so tough to say specifics. Some games will look better like Paragon does, and I'd imagine others will just try to really clean up performance and framerate.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah i'm good, i'll stick with my filthy casual PS4 thanks. I might get one of those new controllers though since my analogue stick has fallen apart and the headphone jack lost an audio channel. Hopefully the new ones are better made? Or at least built to last.

Avatar image for deactivated-5abe166c91d5d
    deactivated-5abe166c91d5d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulunga: Mine's not too far off. I'm still using my 2009 Panasonic plasma 37 inch. I looked for a bigger screen a few years ago but felt happier with the plasma. When I first saw OLED the difference was noticeable so am holding off buying a new TV until the prices come down which they slowly are. Hopefully by then they'll be some sort of G-Sync/Freesync variable refresh rate tech available on TVs and I can experience that on my PS5. :D

arsalan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I've fallen in love with an LG TV that supports 4K and HDR, and it runs for around $2500. Assuming CES 2017 drags 4K technology slightly closer to the mainstream in January, 4K TVs could start to approach something resembling affordability, at least for the types of people who occasionally drop that kind of money on a TV."

Whoa that must be a huge TV or an OLED. If you want a reasonably priced 4K, HDR TV you can get an LCD/LED. A 55" can go for as little as $500.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Mirado
    Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the triple layer design of the Pro. It's very silly.

Reminds me a lot of this. Are we just going to keep adding layers until the PS4 resembles a server rack?

Loading Video...

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

Reminds me a lot of this. Are we just going to keep adding layers until the PS4 resembles a server rack?

Don't tempt me, Frodo! That'd wrap around from dumb back to rad as all hell.

GalacticPepsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: It depends on the game really. A couple years ago I remember people turning down the details and screen effects on BF4 to see better. What is worrying is the "Pro" players having 60 fps over 30 for old ps4

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@mirado said:
    @adequatelyprepared said:
    @mooseymcman said:

Don't tempt me, Frodo! That'd wrap around from dumb back to rad as all hell.

I sincerely hope that if they do another more powerful PS4 down the line that it has four layers.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.