Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Will PsPlus on PS4 take a while to hit it's stride?

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Since biting the bullet on PS Plus about a year ago I have been delighted at the quality and frequency of AAA games that have come to the Instant game collection (especially here in the E.U).

I just wonder that because of the relatively later launch of the service into the PS3's life-cycle, and the big back catalogue Sony had to play with then, whether the lack of titles in the PS4's launch year that they could realistically get on the service will seem a bit sparse in comparison.

Sony have surprised me a couple of times with how quickly titles end up there, but I'm definitely expecting more of a smaller indie focused slant to the free games and maybe more extended demo-like offerings like the Driveclub PS plus edition in the early days of the service.

Still, I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth if it's half as good as before.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, probably for the first half a year or so. But they should still be updating PS+ on PS3, so for those of us with that, it might be worth it there.

I dunno, I just bought a year of PS+ today to play Saints Row the Third, which I had already played when I borrowed it from my friend.

I bet Knack winds up on there within a year of the PS4's launch.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll give them at least a full year before the good PS4 games are offered in ps+

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bob_Loblaw

@mooseymcman: Yeah, In a fit of generosity I promised my PS3 and all my games to my best friend who's been out of gaming this whole generation and now I'm having major second thoughts.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@mooseymcman: Yeah, In a fit of generosity I promised my PS3 and all my games to my best friend who's been out of gaming this whole generation and now I'm having major second thoughts.

Dude, Dark Souls II is out next year! What were you thinking?!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

Early on they'll probably use it to experiment with free-to-play (kind of like Microsoft is doing with Killer Instinct, though I think that doesn't require gold). Gated intro demos such as Driveclub.

And some free indie titles, which I'm fine with.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By strainedeyes

@csl316: All f2p games announced for PS4 so far do not require a plus membership.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By csl316

@csl316: All f2p games announced for PS4 so far do not require a plus membership.

Really? I knew about Driveclub, but I figured Warframe was a Plus perk, as well. Ah well, that's cool.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long did it take on the Vita? I feel like that didn't take long

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By strainedeyes

@csl316 said:

@strainedeyes said:

Really? I knew about Driveclub, but I figured Warframe was a Plus perk, as well. Ah well, that's cool.

Driveclub PS+ Edition is part of the Instant Game Collection. DCUO, Planetside 2, Warframe, Blacklight: Retribution, etc... are all f2p and do not require a plus membership to play.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vanick

They announced Driveclub PS+ edition and Resogun for day one and games like Outlast, Don't Starve, and Secret Ponchos for free down the line. I expect games like that for maybe the first 8-10 months or until there's a bigger list of retail games available.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By amafi

@vanick: Aye, and they'll probably double down on Vita stuff too. Maybe they'll throw in something else, like video content, access to music unlimited? They own a lot of different stuff, so there's always something they can sweeten the pot with if they feel they need it.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Some things I expect to see for free for Plus users within the first 6-8 months:

- Knack

- Killzone: SF Single Player campaign

- Flower HD

- Doki Doki Universe

- Free specific PS1/2/3 titles through Gaikai once it launches

- Several other indie titles

We definitely won't see the wealth of free games we're seeing now on the PS3, and no one should expect to.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah it's going to take a while. For EU though you'll probably still get all of the best games from the PS3 and for the Vita doe.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hughesman

I think they already announced Resogun, Don't Starve and some form of Driveclub will be free at or near launch.

When Sony brought PSPlus to Vita they basically included all the first party launch games in the first month. It was certainly a big month for plus.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krakn3dfx: Doki Doki Universe is a free game from the get-go. No paying involved.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I expect the quality of PsPlus to decrease significantly for the next couple of years. Mostly because they don't need to offer so many great games now that online is blocked behind the subscription, because that's reason enough for people to pay apparently. Also because there simply won't be enough games for them to feasibly just give them away without a big software loss. Though I was genuinely surprised at the turnaround on free Vita games, so maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Seppli

• We already know what's going to happen on the first month. It's going to Driveclub PS+ Edition (guess it'll be something like half the cars and half the tracks) and ResoGun (which looks like one of the very best of the indies) - which is a fine offering in and of itself. Don't Starve will appear on PS+ too.
    • Do we know if they keep supporting PS3? I bet they do. The PS3 offerings will be made available on PS4 as well, either through software emulation (unlikely) or through streaming (Gaikai), sooner or later.
    • Vita will definitely still see its monthly Instant Game Collection release.
    • Game sales/PS+ price reductions will certainly persist.

So overall, I don't expect a drop in value at all. At least not on the whole. On the whole we're bound to get more. Sure, it'll take a while until Instant Game Collection on PS4 will be as insane as it's for PS3, but it won't take long either, seeing how pretty much all future games will see a PS4 release too. Why wouldn't PS4 games sell through, and then seek to further monetize by getting a deal with Sony for a PS+ Instant Game Collection release? Given the volume of games, it's more than likely that we'll see PS3 & PS4 versions of the same game being added to PS+ Instant Game Collection.

So overall, it'll still be a pretty damn crazy service, even crazier than is now really.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it took a few years before it resembles anything like PS Plus in it's current form.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By MetalBaofu

@krakn3dfx: Doki Doki Universe is a free game from the get-go. No paying involved.

It has a pay version as mentioned here:" Players’ first exposure to Doki-Doki will be in the form of a free download for their PS Vita, PS3 or PS4. This is a light version of the game where players can fly around a Universe and take fun personality quizzes. This free game will include our fun Doki-Doki Mail messaging app, which players will also be able to get for free on mobile platforms, for cross-platform chat. If players decide they want to land on planets and interact with all the crazy characters in our Universe, they can purchase and download the full game, which you might call an ‘RPG/Simulation/Interactive Story’ game."

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bob_loblaw: I'm pretty sure that Sony has committed to one free game on the PS4 per month. As many have said, most of those will likely be indie games until the system has been out for a while. Resogun, Don't Starve, Outlast, and Secret Ponchos have all been confirmed for the service.

The system will also see four or five free-to-play titles released on the first day, so that should give you quite a bit to do as well.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm a bit more interested in seeing how PS Plus being required affects the quality of the online play. The free games we know will be there, but the quality of the online play is still an unknown. Playing PS3 online now isn't terrible, but it isn't as good as Live either.

But when you talk about PS Plus hitting it's stride on PS4, that's what I think about.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Some things I expect to see for free for Plus users within the first 6-8 months:

- Knack

- Killzone: SF Single Player campaign

- Flower HD

- Doki Doki Universe

- Free specific PS1/2/3 titles through Gaikai once it launches

- Several other indie titles

We definitely won't see the wealth of free games we're seeing now on the PS3, and no one should expect to.

if this your list of free games for less than half a year, than I would consider that a great wealth.

A big part of the reason why I'm going to get a ps4 this year is cause of ps plus. I have had a plus account for year and half and think its great. Since the system itself is going to take most of my money for games for awhile I want to be able to cash in on free ps4 games. Even if this means I'm really not using my ps4 a ton to start with that fine. I just need so kind of games to tide me over till destiny comes out, in 6-8 months.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would say no but then I realized it's not going to be backwards compatible so ... yeah. :(

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Resogun, Drive Club, Don't Starve, Outlast, and Secret Ponchos will all be out at (or around) launch for PS+. I'm sure that Knack will probably end up being thrown on there by the time Infamous comes out and we'll probably see a leak of PSN games coming out monthly...

basically, you'll get your $60 back pretty fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.