Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

PlayStation 5 technical issues - have you experienced any?

• 56 results
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll PlayStation 5 technical issues - have you experienced any? (206 votes)

I haven't had any issues 27%
    I've experienced software issues 14%
    I've experienced hardware issues 12%
    I've experienced both hardware and software issues 8%
    I don't own a PS5 and/or just want to see the answers 39%

Duders on the site have been sharing an assortment of technical issues they've experienced with the PlayStation 5. Problems with hard-drives, weird noises and software bugs have also been discussed on the HotSpot, Bombcast and Beastcast.

As a new slew of PS5 consoles came on sale recently and quickly disappeared again before I had a chance to grab one, I started to reconsider the risks seemingly involved with these first batches of PlayStation 5 consoles. In the past I've been quite lucky with buying launch hardware and have so far experienced only some software bugs with my Series X. However something about the stories coming out about all the little and large issues with the PS5 are putting me slightly on edge.

I hope that all you fresh PS5 owners out there could share your experiences with the technical reliability of the PlayStation 5. Are the issues severe and widespread? Would you recommend waiting for a new revision, or just jumping in right now?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

• 
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

My PS5 stopped being able to connect to my wifi for a while. It couldn't even find the network. Then it found the network but couldn't identify the IP so it couldn't connect to the Internet. I looked up solutions and tried a few but what ultimately worked for me was using a Cat5 wire to directly connect the PS5 to my router. Then I was able to unplug the ethernet cable and the PS5 went back to being able to find the IP address and connect normally (so at this point it connects to wifi fine.)

I may have had some other very minor bugs like the PS5 turning fully off after being put to sleep or some audio glitches but nothing unexpected or major besides the wifi thing, which scared me because while I'm sure it will be fixed in some future patch (since it's clearly not a hardware issue) it made it impossible for me to download games (even if you buy a disc you need the patches) or whatever. Fortunately the fix wasn't too tough, but it took me almost an hour of messing around in settings and trying different things to get it back on the 'net.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I keep running into is failing to connect to some PSN related features in-game. For example, in Persona 5 Royal, you're supposed to be able to access the "Thieves Guild" which allows you to see what other people did that day or what other people answered to questions in class. For me, I get an error anytime these features pop up. I literally get an error message at the end of every in-game day. I've seen the same error in at least one other game but it's incredibly common in P5R.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By brian_

I've had connection issues too. Sometimes when I'd launch something like Overwatch as the first game after turning the console on, it won't connect to the servers. I'd then quit the game, launch something else with online function, quit that, relaunch Overwatch and then it connects. And it wasn't just Overwatch. Anything that I launched after first starting the console just wouldn't connect to servers. I haven't noticed it happening in the past couple of weeks, but I also haven't been playing any online games recently. I did get Destruction AllStars yesterday, and that didn't have any issues connecting. Maybe the issue is specifically effecting PS4 games on PS5? I don't know. It's weird.

EDIT: I did just launch Overwatch, and see if it'd connect on first boot, and it manage to connect. Maybe it has been resolved? Hard to say.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: I have had some minor connection issues with Hitman 3, including one that kicked me out of the game (because that game has a stupid always online mode thing, which, ugh, why for a single player game?). I'm not sure if this is the PS5 or my own internet, which can be problematic, but it has happened a bunch that it has struggled to connect, and that's with a native PS5 game.

Fortunately the one time it kicked me out of the game I had saved like 30 seconds earlier so it didn't cause too much of a problem.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brian_

@bigsocrates: I also heard that Hitman 3 was having it's own specific issues with it's servers losing connection, so it could be that too.

In my case though, it's not that I was losing connection, it's that it would never connect in the first place, and that it was across all games, and only on first boot. That seemed extra weird.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've had mine since launch day and haven't had any issues. I do not have an external hard drive, and I've never put the console into rest mode with a game suspended; I always hard save and then close the application first.

Dezar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had some connection issues with hitman 3 and locking up multiple times on the dartmoor map sadly (favorite one!). Other than that things have been pretty stable so far.

Burade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a digital version at launch - I don't have an external hard drive attached but I have this weird issue where when I'm done with a game, if I don't sit on the home screen for roughly 30 seconds before setting it into rest mode it'll send me to a green screen and then crash the system.

I have managed to set the console into rest mode with a game running in the background by following the process above so it seems like a weirdly consistent software issue on my end. Other than that though, it's been smooth sailing!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the system might've once reseted itself on it's own around when I got it, but that could also be me thinking about the Series X doing that. Can't really remember there being any problems during any games I've played and I've also used the rest mode with games suspended pretty frequently.

I'm sure it's finally going to start acting up when I get a game like the new Ratchet & Clank and play it for 24/7, but let's hope not.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I haven’t had any issues with mine.

Had like 60 seconds when I thought something was up with my controller, but it was due to my it having low battery once. (I can’t remember what it was, but there was an error message that wasn’t “Hey, your battery is low” when I started up the console one time) UI issues aside, I love that thing.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten several crashes, mostly playing Miles Morales but also at least once on games such as Demon Souls, Bugsnax, WD:Legion. I also got the "you are downloading something to an external drive while playing a PS5 game" error that totally crashes the system and has to rebuild when I'm forced to manually turn it off and on.

Really hope that these can bugs be patched out and my PS5 doesn't immediately die after the warranty ends.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c360497d24a
    deactivated-60c360497d24a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ll let you know when I can finally find one. :P

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's happened a few times now where I put it into rest mode with the controller having a high charge and then when I try to turn it back on the battery on the controller is completely drained. It's very odd.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Nothing much.. Mainly launch week, I had some crashes. But I'm assuming the patches they did took care of that because I haven't anything happen since. I don't use rest mode; I didn't use it on the PS4 either. I don't think consoles, in the state they are in now; can really run in a rest mode. It's never worked with any console I've ever had; so I just stopped using the "feature."

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Only software, and both common issues: I've had the issue with Spider-man crashing the console if it was left running when the console went into rest mode, which is a fairly well-known bug exclusive (I believe) to that game. I've also had multiple crashes if a game on my removable SSD tries to update while I'm playing something else. The solution to that was simply to stop using the removable storage. Since then it's been fine, and I regularly leave games in idle/rest for days at a time before I go back to them without any problems. I assume as these are software issues both of these things will at some point be addressed in a patch, and it's easy to work around them for the time being, so I'm feeling pretty relaxed about it. I consider it the trade-off for getting the console on launch day.

Honestly the most frustrating thing has been the lack of transparency from Sony about whether these issues have been fixed or not. I know the OS has been updated a couple of times but their patch notes are minimal and I'm not going to plug my removable storage back in until I've seen someone confirm that everything has been resolved.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I’d love to have technical issues with a PS5 but it is god damned impossible to get one.

Doszero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only issues I've had are audio ones. Specifically Final Fantasy XV, the PS4 Kingdom Hearts collection, and a bunch of movies on the HBO app just won't put out any sound on the default audio format for my setup (Bitstream Dolby). Sometimes I can get it to work by switching to Linear PCM in the system menu, but for Final Fantasy and a couple movies all the music was at the fore and all the dialogue was quiet background noise. A few times there was no sound regardless of what format I put it in (looking at you Diehard).

Otherwise it's been fine, it lost the internet signal for no reason the other day but that was a quick fix.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It would be nice if I can buy a PS5.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my first day with it I had a hard lock while playing Astro. Couldn't hit the ps button out to dashboard, couldn't power off with the console button, couldn't even eject the demons souls disc that was in the drive. Ended up having to yank the power cable out of the back of the console. I've had this happen once more, a few months later, during a Miles Morales cutscene.

Other than that, I had an overly noisy/rattly disc drive any time it would spin up a disc. That was solved with a firm tap to the casing though. I'm guessing something wasn't fitted right.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly just the WiFi completely stopping and I need to do a full reboot to get it to work again.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By kidman

immediately after replacing my PS4Pro with PS5 - had sound but no video - hard reboot of TV worked fine and now things are looking fine.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No major issues. The worst thing I've experienced is coil whine, but it's not noticeable when there's music playing or I'm using headphones.

To be fair, the only stuff I've used it for so far is Astro's Playroom, Bugsnax, and a bunch of PS4 games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Nodima

Just wanted to revive this thread and ask if anyone's had weird lag issues with their DualSense? I've only had the console for about 12 hours now so I'm not eager to start tinkering with anything too seriously just yet, but the controller is essentially useless unless hooked up to the charger. I tried playing MLB The Show which is essentially a series of rhythm mini-games and the delay was so severe that I wasn't even getting my input off before the pitch was past me. Plug it in, works just like I was still playing on PS4. Messed around with Astro and Ratchet a bit and was seeing delays on jumps of as much as three seconds, but inconsistently. Again, it'd work perfectly fine once I plugged it back in.

Some preliminary internet searches don't seem very conclusive, I can't tell if people are just being overboard Brad and Will Made a Tech Pod types with this "overclock" business or if this is the solution to my problem or what. I've also read somewhere that having apps running in the background, or apps downloading in the background, can hinder the controller's connection but that doesn't really make sense, does it? There's no other bluetooth devices in this apartment other than the PS4 controllers so I think I can rule out airwave interference as well.

So, any idea what's up?

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet hardware is garbage and constantly drops the connection temporarily, even if it's hardwired. But that was an issue on the PS4, too, so it isn't specific to the PS5. This doesn't happen on my XSX, so it's definitely something with however Sony does it.

Other than that, I do have the occasional issue of the controller not fully working coming off of sleep mode. The analog sticks will sometimes stop working and the only solution is to reboot.

@nodima: I can't say that I have had input lag with the DualSense. I know it can have trouble when playing PS4 games over the PS5 - something about the system tries to convert non-HDR games to HDR. If that's the case, you might try either disabling that or using a PS4 controller and see if that solves the issue. Other than that, maybe enable whatever Game Mode your TV has if you haven't already?

Sorry I can't be more help. Generally, I think the DualSense is kind of a crappy controller, so I'm not surprised that there are issues.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problems have been minor. I've had Demon's Souls crash to XMB a couple of times and that's about it.

My Dual Sense has a squeaky trigger.

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only issue I have is if there’s a disc in the drive it’ll spin up quite loudly for a few seconds every hour or so.

I just try not to leave any discs in the drive. Problem solved.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: Have you tried resetting the controller? There's a pinhole on the back of the controller that you can poke to reset it. I have never used it myself, but I remember reading about it in the manual. I do not know if it will help, but figure it may be worth a try.

taosd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By taosd

Got a PS5 from Best Buy on June 24. July 23, I started experiencing slow frame-rates and visual artifacts, and then PS5 games stopped launching altogether. PS4 software would launch but there were a bunch of visual artifacts.

To Sony's credit, I talked to them on a Tuesday, sent my console of by the Friday and had it back by the monday after next (so it was away for 5 business days.) They replaced the mainboard.

zero173

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zero173

Have had one since March, it quits responding to the Dualsense lately. Have to unplug it and plug it back in to make it recognize the controller. Love it otherwise.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By theonewhoplays

My wired network connection keeps disconnecting. It's pretty random though. Some evening I don't see it, others the warning pops up every 15s or so. The same cable worked without issues with my PS4, but I will try changing it just in case.

I generally turn the power off completely when I'm done and sometimes I don't have sound through the soundbar (using earc) and I have to restart the TV to get it working. Ni issues with the PS4.

The HDR options sometimes resets, especially when using the Youtube app.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

A quick update on my end as well. I bought a PS5 in the spring and luckily haven't had any major issues with it. One of the face buttons on my DualSense was a bit sticky at first but unstuck itself after some use. There have been several software bugs and crashes, but nothing permanent. The console is quite noisy especially during startup and can sometimes be heard during gameplay as well. The noise is not anywhere near as bad as on my old PS4 but definitely more detectable than on the Series X or my old One X.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nodima

Follow up on my controller issue: it definitely seems tied to downloading things, as I haven't had the issue repeated at any point during the evening other than when I went to FFVIIR and realized I still needed to download the Yuffie expansion, so I jumped back to MLB and the multi-second delay had returned when the controller was unplugged, non existent when plugged. I suppose I should add that I also remembered I haven't moved the ethernet cable from the PS4 to the PS5 yet, so both my PS5, phone and desktop are all running over the wireless network, and I guess that's possibly compounding the issue?

It's annoying, but it's not like I'm downloading things constantly, so I suppose it's just something to be mindful of. I'm also super used to gaming with the controller connected, actually - my Dualshocks long ago stopped being able to hold a charge for more than 20 minutes or so. It's just that I was so eager to get the PS5 operational I didn't do much rearranging and the console is a bit farther from where I sit than the PS4 and sometimes I'm hitting the limits of the charging cable. Otherwise, pretty enjoyable first day with this thing!

But still a useful heads up I'd think for anyone else that experiences this issue, it seems 100% tied to downloading, less certifiably related to doing so over wireless rather than wired.

Geralts_gran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a launch machine and had constant CE-108255-1 errors with any ps5 games. If you disconnected from the Internet I got a different error code. It was definitely worse with Ray tracing, any time astro jumped into a new suit the particle effect that followed straight up crashed the system. Sony were cagey about replacing or repairing the system so took it back to seller within 28 days for statutory return (uk). Lucked out and got another unit in January, touch wood its a bit noiser fan wise but has been bulletproof.

markgaming1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a PlayStation 5 and thank God there were no technical problems But there was a noise that I do not know where the problem was Sometimes it is noisy but small Has this problem occurred to you?

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have had mine since late June and haven’t really had much in terms of technical difficulties. I think the console once mysteriously shut down by itself while in standby mode so it had to do a little checksee or whatever when I started it up, and that’s been about the extent of it.

To be fair I usually turn the console off when I’m done playing with it instead of putting it in standby mode like I did with my PS4 Pro all the time to hopefully avoid many of the reported issues I’ve seen mentioned, but I have left it in standby here and there when downloading things overnight and it’s been all fine and dandy.

Have not plugged in any external drives or anything like that either, and I set up the console as new instead of transferring data over from my Pro.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not sure how to answer. Only issue I have had is a game crashing once in awhile (well, R&C Rift Apart crashed 10 times), but in general no worse than my PC crashing a program.

BrotherOlder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still getting this issue with a launch PS5 plugged into a 2018 LG OLED. Has anyone found a solution?

@burade said:

I bought a digital version at launch - I don't have an external hard drive attached but I have this weird issue where when I'm done with a game, if I don't sit on the home screen for roughly 30 seconds before setting it into rest mode it'll send me to a green screen and then crash the system.

I have managed to set the console into rest mode with a game running in the background by following the process above so it seems like a weirdly consistent software issue on my end. Other than that though, it's been smooth sailing!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing unusual. Apps crash from time to time but at no greater frequency than any other system that I’ve used.

doobymoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had all sorts of problems with rest mode since I bought it last year. Finally bit the bullet and sent it in for repair. Here's hoping I get a good 'un. They sure take their time dealing with it.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally got one back in April and it’s by far the buggiest console I’ve ever owned. I constantly have issues with the menu being unnavigable, I’ve had the sleep crashes, games that won’t launch, system lock ups, etc. it’s better than when I first got it but that first month was rough

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Zero issues, I feel like I'm always lucky with these things.

Kup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far, multiple games seem to have trouble properly sending audio to the rear speakers in my 5.1 setup. I get echos or tinny sound back there, like all of a sudden the person that Miles or Jin is talking to is speaking into an oil drum.

Bleichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got mine in june and have had no issues at all, some slight whirr from the console sometimes but that's an upgrade considering my old PS4 pro sounded like a jet engine so I'm not really bothered by it.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By big_denim

I've had mine since February or March and the only real major issues I've had are hardlocks requiring a full powerdown by unplugging the console itself (the power button wouldn't respond). This happened multiple times on Ratchet and once or twice on Demon's Souls as well.

I've also had instances where the dualsense just stops sending inputs when I'm at the home screen UI despite the controller working fine in-game. The only fix is resetting the console.

Otherwise it hasn't been too bad.

Then again, I use my XSX way more than my PS5 so it's possible I'd run into even more issues if I used it more often. I wish that wasn't the case, as I loved the PS4, but with the issues listed above and also finding the dualsense to just be clunky instead of "immersive", that's just not the case. It's a console that's reserved for exclusives and that's it :(

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since bigsocrates mentioned it and on a slightly different tangent (sorry) my OG Xbox One connects to the network by WiFi and I get really good download speeds. We're on uncapped 80Mbs (in the UK British Telecom advertises an average of 67 Mbs which is fair, considering the upstream too) whereas my PC is limited to 5Mb. This I believe has nothing to do with Steam or BT, it's a limitation introduced by the fact that I have a wired connection into some power plugs which provide networking to the router.

elwaldorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By elwaldorf

I got the digital back in June. (One of those lucky bastards who got in one of those PS Direct secret queues) I only had one crash when playing Ratchet and Clank, and then one hard crash recently, but I think I lost power to my house while it was in rest mode.

I did come in late, but most of the issues I've heard about the PS5 i'm not experiencing. Seems to be more stable than my PS4 Pro ever was.

MF_GOON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: glad to hear you figured out what was causing the delay. For what it’s worth, I suddenly started experiencing input lag a month or two ago and I found that switching my TV to game mode fixed it completely. I don’t always have input lag when I boot up for some reason, but when I do, it is always fixed with game mode. Might be worth a try the next time this happens to you.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nodima

@mf_goon: My TV's always in game mode even if I'm watching movies, TV or Youtube. It's just not a big enough deal for me to switch between modes depending on what I'm doing, and sports games have always taken up a significant portion of my gaming time which are all so timing based they're rendered unplayable IMO without game mode turned on in the HD era.

But I'm 100% sure it's due to downloading stuff now. Still haven't messed with using PS5 over LAN to see if that removes the issue but I have just been downloading tiny little things here or there and it doesn't matter at all what I'm doing, even just navigating PSN after starting a download, inputs are completely broken until the download finishes or is paused.

Edit: came back to edit and wonder aloud, since I watch just about everything via my console and only very rarely from an app installed on the TV, I don't think my TV would be able to tell that I wasn't gaming at the moment anyway, right?

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kup: I have the audio problem with Hades, but otherwise audio seems fine.

Zigazoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one or two Crashes playing Horizon Zero Dawn but my main issues are the Dual Senses the left triggers on both mine are loose and not as resistant as they were originally. I imagine it's the springs inside

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.