Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Three Weeks In, PlayStation Network's Downtime Affecting Game Development, But Signs of Progress

• 67 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    PSN's still down, three weeks and counting.

It's been three weeks since PlayStation Network went down, resulting in the compromising of 77 million registered accounts, the exposing of personal information, multiplayer becoming temporarily nonexistent and a chorus of criticism from consumers, commentators--even Congress.

Players haven't been the only ones affected by the downtime, however, with several developers telling me the nearly month-long hiatus is now impacting game making, scheduling and publishing. Frustration has been rising.

Not helping matters, I'm told, has been an uncomfortably quiet Sony, with very few concrete answers on PSN's status for its partners.

Obviously, the downtime is most stressful for multiplayer games. There's are key differences between multiplayer games, however, as developers have the ability to bypass the login prompt. Games reliant on connecting through the friends list alone (i.e. no matchmaking) have been affected the most. Without an active friends list, there's no way to play and test.

No testing? GLaDOS would be most displeased.

== TEASER ==

Games able to dodge the friends list and join running servers (say, shooters) have been okay.

The PlayStation Store disappeared, too. Games that were relying, even partially, on PSN being online for release have had to rethink plans. Hamilton's Great Adventure, a quirky action game from Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 developer Fatshark, was supposed to launch on PSN and PC simultaneously.

"The PSN version will be announced at a later date due to circumstances we can’t control," said Fatshark in a release earlier this week.

Asked to elaborate, Fatshark public relations representative Gunnar Johansson explained:

"It’s a bit frustrating when the one and only store selling our game is closed, but we’ll be on the virtual shelf as soon as possible when PSN is up and running again," said Johansson. "The only thing is that we’d prefer to have the PSN and PC players getting the game at the same time, as no one wants to wait. But, this is the case now, and I guess we gotta roll with the punches. We’re talking with Sony almost on a daily basis, and they are being as helpful as they can be."

No Caption Provided

Progress is being made on rebooting PSN, though, as evidenced by astute users on the message board NeoGAF finding proof of recent updates on leaderboards for both Killzone 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2. PSN user named NanoNeya last played a Ghostbusters-themed LBP2 level 22 hours ago, as of this writing, which suggests some internal testing of public PSN servers is happening. That's something, right?

The relaunch of PSN will accompany updated firmware that will prompt users to reset their passwords.

Whether PSN comes back in any capacity this week, three weeks is long--too long. E3 is not very far away and many developers are working overtime to prepare demos to show press and retailers in LA.

"I've never been more grateful to only work on single player games," joked one developer I spoke to.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

It's been three weeks since PlayStation Network went down, resulting in the compromising of 77 million registered accounts, the exposing of personal information, multiplayer becoming temporarily nonexistent and a chorus of criticism from consumers, commentators--even Congress.

Players haven't been the only ones affected by the downtime, however, with several developers telling me the nearly month-long hiatus is now impacting game making, scheduling and publishing. Frustration has been rising.

Not helping matters, I'm told, has been an uncomfortably quiet Sony, with very few concrete answers on PSN's status for its partners.

Obviously, the downtime is most stressful for multiplayer games. There's are key differences between multiplayer games, however, as developers have the ability to bypass the login prompt. Games reliant on connecting through the friends list alone (i.e. no matchmaking) have been affected the most. Without an active friends list, there's no way to play and test.

No testing? GLaDOS would be most displeased.

== TEASER ==

Games able to dodge the friends list and join running servers (say, shooters) have been okay.

The PlayStation Store disappeared, too. Games that were relying, even partially, on PSN being online for release have had to rethink plans. Hamilton's Great Adventure, a quirky action game from Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 developer Fatshark, was supposed to launch on PSN and PC simultaneously.

"The PSN version will be announced at a later date due to circumstances we can’t control," said Fatshark in a release earlier this week.

Asked to elaborate, Fatshark public relations representative Gunnar Johansson explained:

"It’s a bit frustrating when the one and only store selling our game is closed, but we’ll be on the virtual shelf as soon as possible when PSN is up and running again," said Johansson. "The only thing is that we’d prefer to have the PSN and PC players getting the game at the same time, as no one wants to wait. But, this is the case now, and I guess we gotta roll with the punches. We’re talking with Sony almost on a daily basis, and they are being as helpful as they can be."

No Caption Provided

Progress is being made on rebooting PSN, though, as evidenced by astute users on the message board NeoGAF finding proof of recent updates on leaderboards for both Killzone 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2. PSN user named NanoNeya last played a Ghostbusters-themed LBP2 level 22 hours ago, as of this writing, which suggests some internal testing of public PSN servers is happening. That's something, right?

The relaunch of PSN will accompany updated firmware that will prompt users to reset their passwords.

Whether PSN comes back in any capacity this week, three weeks is long--too long. E3 is not very far away and many developers are working overtime to prepare demos to show press and retailers in LA.

"I've never been more grateful to only work on single player games," joked one developer I spoke to.

manchild1318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By manchild1318

NIce

bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bkfountain

i can't wait to turn mine on again.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

" Frustrating has been rising."

lol nice typo.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By ReyGitano

Good job keeping track of this story and turning out articles when appropriate Patrick. I'm getting tired of other sites were every other story is about PSN that's just every rumor out there.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By patrickklepek

@yoshimitz707 said:

" " Frustrating has been rising."lol nice typo. "

Giant Bomb users deserve only the best.

SeaMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SeaMoose

PSN being down has meant that i can dish out the hours on uni assignments but hopefully it'll be back on when they are all done.. On the bright side L.A Noire doesn't have a multiplayer so i won't feel like i'm missing out to 360 =D

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

SOCOM leaderboards were updating with people playing online as early as Tuesday, too.
    I made a topic about it here.
    Could be related.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jasonefmonk

I really hope Sony has great stuff lined up for when we get back online.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By patrickklepek

@benjaebe said:

" SOCOM leaderboards were updating with people playing online as early as Tuesday, too.
    I made a topic about it here.Could be related. "

Good catch. Send me a PM next time. :)

Zeninnnnnnnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Zeninnnnnnnn

I wonder what this will do for future developers who go to the PS3. I mean, this can't happen twice in... three times in a row right?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @RiotBananas said:
    " @patrickklepek Loving your content but can we cut down title length a bit? 'PSN down, three weeks in' would have sufficed. "
    That would cut out the basis of what the article is about.
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By patrickklepek

@RiotBananas said:

" @patrickklepek Loving your content but can we cut down title length a bit? 'PSN down, three weeks in' would have sufficed. "

I'm a little limited by the lack of subheads in the news section, sorry!

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vaile
    @Hailinel said:
    " @RiotBananas said:
    That would cut out the basis of what the article is about. "
    "PSN Downtime Affecting Developers"
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By benjaebe
    @Vaile: Then you're missing out the important part about internal testing. The headline is fine as-is.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel
    @patrickklepek said:
    "

@RiotBananas said:

"
    Jeesus Christ Patrick ! what are you doing !? Reading more than 5 words in a row is to hard.. Stop it!! 
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @DonPixel
    @patrickklepek said:
    "

@RiotBananas said:

"
    Jeesus Christ Patrick ! what are you doing !? Reading more than 5 words in a row is to hard.. Stop it!! 
    Indeed! In fact, this theory should be applies to articles as well.

"PSN STILL DOWN, HURR

Developers wanna develop, can't."

Now that's journalism! Seriously though, doing a great job Patrick, hitting all the news points but keeping the trademark GB humour and style.
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shit's Still Broke should be a weekly feature.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By p_p_o_d

I guess first party devs have access to it.

good sign.    Maybe it will be back early next week.  

EDIT
    also the guys on neogaf are saying the Dev network is back for all.     

I think we are nearing the end.    finally......... FINALLY i will be able to play portal 2 on PC.   

waypoetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By waypoetic

Fatshark? Lol. Yeah, your game has plenty of players on it! No, not really. Not at all. 

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Liquidus

Man, I'm glad I have no interest multiplayer games on my PS3 at the moment. Of course, I do really want to play MK online but it wouldn't be as bad if I was still really into Bad Company 2. Probably be going through withdrawals right now.

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only imagine how smarmy Major Nelson has been on his podcast the last few weeks.

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pkhilson

WORK DAMMIT!!

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Ronald

I've played through the single player of Portal 2 twice and have all of the single player trophies. I'm also halfway through a commentary play through. If only I could play co-op.

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeadlyWolverine

Can't the developers use their kits to play LAN? Or do they want to see how the game experiences lag online?

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bearshamanbro

Hope they get PSN back up. Took this opportunity to buy some Sony stock on the cheap today (year low) and hope it goes back up after PSN goes back online.

milkman4591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By milkman4591

I'm still waiting to use my portal 2 code to link my steam account. so mad

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#29  Edited By Brackynews
    @deadlywolverine: I suppose if the APIs and devkits were built without any offline redundancy, they would basically be up Y2K creek without a modem. (sorry)

I mean, find me one engineer on Sony's hardware team that ever assumed PSN features would need to be tested without PSN being functional? Why spend resources coming up with dummy data? Nobody plans for the worst, it's not cost effective.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ee02708d2a83
    deactivated-5ee02708d2a83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I don't condone this sort of harmful hacking, you must admit that these guys are FUCKING LEGENDS.

dillonj9889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dillonj9889

"There's are key differences"  ------> All your base are belong to us?

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Grillbar
    @Ronald said:
    " I've played through the single player of Portal 2 twice and have all of the single player trophies. I'm also halfway through a commentary play through. If only I could play co-op. "
    well there is still split-screen coop. i have completeted all the co-op singlehanded. by using 2 controllers since i had no patients to wait. there is only 1 lvl that is really hard that way wich is the second last.
    so i have gotten all but professoe portal, triple crown still alive, asking for trouble and friends with benefits. the only ones you cant get alone is the professor, triple and friends 
    Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Destroyeron

I <3 my PC. :)

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By boylie
    @RiotBananas said:
    Bad news dude: once you click on the title, you'll almost always find like, at least THRICE the text contained within the post, no matter  HOW MUCH text is in the title. If the problem is that you don't like reading, then I might have just ruined your day with this news. 

Also, I submit that the reigning king of the most ridiculously long titles is Alex. The upside for him is that I usually find his overly descriptive titles really funny
    Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ben99

what's new(s) ?

schazzwozzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By schazzwozzer

I'll echo SlashseveN303's sentiment and say that I dig this sort of 'roundup' news story on the PSN situation.  On most blogs it is, indeed, just "here's the latest piece of hearsay bouncing around".

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Krakn3Dfx
    @Arrested_Developer said:
    " I can only imagine how smarmy Major Nelson has been on his podcast the last few weeks. "
    More than he already is normally?  I think a wormhole would open up and swallow us all.
    ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ezdude

no comment

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WrathOfBanja
    @ezdude said:
    " no comment "
    yes you did.
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

wow that got really out of hand

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Dizzyhippos

shits still broke

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42  Edited By Hector
    I want to play Daggerdale!!! Wahhhhh.
    Avatar image for deactivated-62a0c35818923
    deactivated-62a0c35818923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not trying to split hairs here but it's a bit of a misleading opening statement. PSN didin't "go down, exposing accounts". It was *taken down* once Sony realised they'd been hacked. Sony's got enough on their plate trying to bring the systems back online and win back the hearts and minds of gamers without the press (enthusiast and mainstream) referring to the breach as if it were Sony themselves selling the accounts on 4Chan

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By pr1mus

Some online MK would be nice, can't wait to get destroyed over and over and over and...   you get the point :D

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By Dreamfall31
    @Pr1mus said:
    " Some online MK would be nice, can't wait to get destroyed over and over and over and...   you get the point :D "
    That's the first thing I plan on doing when PSN is back up!  My Sonya is good against the medium bots...but I bet i will be destroyed by humans!
    Shaymarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shaymarx
    Love film are reporting that (have done for over 24 hours) that PSN is in testing stages.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Hizang

All this downtime has given me time to finally play Mass Effect 2, and its pretty good.
    kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#48  Edited By kalmis

Bummer. Good thing here is that this made me finally close couple of my bank accounts. A task which I had been putting off for a while. Had to go to a real bank and all for it.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tylea002
    @patrickklepek
    Just a heads up, even after the frustrating one, there's another great typo: There's are key differences.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bestostero

im not sure i see the progress lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.