Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

While Your PSN Trophies Are Safe, New York Times Says Your Credit Card Info May Not Be

• 151 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

PSN has been down a full week now.
    It's always better to start with the good news, right? I've been asking Sony for several days (and getting no response) about whether cloud-based game saves and PlayStation Network trophies would still exist when the service comes back online (hopefully) next week.

Last night, the company addressed it.

Sony senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold posted yet another question-and-answer session on the PlayStation Blog, addressing many of these inquiries. 

Seybold says trophies will be re-synced properly upon PSN's return, history/friends list/settings are intact, and cloud saves will not disappear. Of course, everyone will remain curious until PSN is back.

Oh, right. The bad news. The New York Times cites several security researchers who have noticed chatter on hacker forums that a database featuring personal data and credit card information for 2.2 million individuals has been shopped around. Reportedly, Sony was even offered a chance to buy it. 

== TEASER == Seybold told the NYT he was unaware of any such deal proposed to Sony, but even today, the company still cannot one-hundred-percent guarantee your credit card details were not accessed.

Here's a huge caveat, too: there's no way to verify the database is real. No one has actually seen it.

Caveats and uncertainty are not a way to build confidence with consumers. The drama continues.    
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

It's always better to start with the good news, right? I've been asking Sony for several days (and getting no response) about whether cloud-based game saves and PlayStation Network trophies would still exist when the service comes back online (hopefully) next week.

Last night, the company addressed it.

Sony senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold posted yet another question-and-answer session on the PlayStation Blog, addressing many of these inquiries. 

Seybold says trophies will be re-synced properly upon PSN's return, history/friends list/settings are intact, and cloud saves will not disappear. Of course, everyone will remain curious until PSN is back.

Oh, right. The bad news. The New York Times cites several security researchers who have noticed chatter on hacker forums that a database featuring personal data and credit card information for 2.2 million individuals has been shopped around. Reportedly, Sony was even offered a chance to buy it. 

== TEASER == Seybold told the NYT he was unaware of any such deal proposed to Sony, but even today, the company still cannot one-hundred-percent guarantee your credit card details were not accessed.

Here's a huge caveat, too: there's no way to verify the database is real. No one has actually seen it.

Caveats and uncertainty are not a way to build confidence with consumers. The drama continues.    
    Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EquitasInvictus

This is really dangerous.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By abdo

Film at eleven?

I don't mean to take the situation lightly, but I am less worried about trophies at this point, personal and credit card info is what really matters most.
    DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Does the PSN store have other options to buy content on it, like points or paypal?

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By patrickklepek
    @DJJoeJoe said:
    " Does the PSN store have other options to buy content on it, like points or paypal? "
    Yep, you can buy point cards at stores.
    Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The database claims to contain Security Numbers for the cards. Which Sony doesn't store.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Skald

Thanks for being stupidly silent on the matter Sony.

No, really, I find it awesome and reassuring, and it definitely hasn't left this whole issue open to rampant speculation.
    Estwilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Estwilde

There's been a few posts on reddit and a few on the forum here about people seeing and getting calls about unathorized charges. Can't really confirm whether they're truthful or not, but people on PSN might just want to get new cards before you have to deal with false charges and identify theft. It's not your fault, but the ensuing credit hit that comes with everything is just so much trouble that it's better to be pre-emptive about it.

SolidOcelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By SolidOcelot

i am less interested in the continued developments (the damage has been done) but i am incredibly curious as to how Sony is going to win back its users.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

What an absolute mess! If (and that's a rather large if) Sony can get over this, will they even be able to gain customers trust again. I agree with those that recommend using PSN cards from now on. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

I've said this numerous times before, but it bears repeating.  if your credit card information was among those affected, call your card company now and have them issue you a new one.  The worst case scenario is that you'll be without an active credit card for about a week.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By jacdg

Glad I got my credit card cancelled.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeJerk

Everybody makes it sounds like they were storing everything permanently including the CVC2.

They weren't.

edwardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By edwardt

I would happily trade my trophies for my credit card info.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Th3_James

Suck Fony

jdeano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jdeano

Oh awesome.

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba

It's fake, the hackers even claimed to have the ccv2 code of the credit cards despite that PSN doesn't request such information.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phish09

The way Sony is handling this is beyond disgusting.  Quit telling us what you don't know and start telling us what you do know Sony. 

I'm pissed off as hell right now. 

Tickets for Phish at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago go on sale tomorrow morning.  This concert is going to sell out within minutes, but because of Sony I had to call and cancel my credit card on Wednesday and was told that I would not receive a new one until one or two weeks from now. 

Sony better either pony up and buy me some Phish tickets or somehow be able to repay me for the fact that I am going to be missing the only vacation I was going to have a chance to go on this year.  I don't even know how you put a monetary value on something like that, but Sony better find a way to make this up to us. If I have to dish out $500 a piece for scalper tickets than Sony better be covering that cost for me as well.  2 weeks without my credit card is going to put a serious strain on my bank account, and now it's causing me to miss the closest Phish shows to me and hence means that I probably won't even be able to see them this summer. 

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Chris2KLee

The database sale sounds like a hoax, or someone trying to cash in on the hysteria. Still, the bad press keeps rolling out and Sony has done little except make a few blog posts. It's a bush league reaction, and they are going to pay for it in public perception.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By HadesTimes

I think all the news organizations need to take a pill and stop trying to get readers through hype.  Because every time anyone says anything about this thing it explodes.  I think everyone needs to do some fact checking before they go off half cocked and report things. Oh yeah, that would be responsible, no one does that anymore.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By ThePickle
    @edwardt said:
    " I would happily trade my trophies for my credit card info. "
    This.

Wasn't the FBI supposed to be involved? And still no official word from Sony. What a complete calamity.
    pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By pickassoreborn

Future purchases of PSN stuff will be via point cards for me. Nice work, Sony.

AmericanNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AmericanNinja

thats been debunked because companies cant store your CVV2 number.

MassiveDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MassiveDuck

Ohh Sony... I almost feel bad, until i remember it was their own shitty infrastructure which lead to all this. 

Who really expected this to become this huge when the network died a week ago?  This really is a PR disaster, no matter what ends up being the final result.  I know i'm going to remember this when deciding what console I buy next generation.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Jost1

The breach of trust is worsened by the awful way Sony continues to handle this.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jost1

MS and Nintendo are big evil corporations too but hey, at least they didn't compromise my fucking credit card.

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba
    @phish09 said:
    " The way Sony is handling this is beyond disgusting.  Quit telling us what you don't know and start telling us what you do know Sony.  I'm pissed off as hell right now.  Tickets for Phish at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago go on sale tomorrow morning.  This concert is going to sell out within minutes, but because of Sony I had to call and cancel my credit card on Wednesday and was told that I would not receive a new one until one or two weeks from now.  Sony better either pony up and buy me some Phish tickets or somehow be able to repay me for the fact that I am going to be missing the only vacation I was going to have a chance to go on this year.  I don't even know how you put a monetary value on something like that, but Sony better find a way to make this up to us. If I have to dish out $500 a piece for scalper tickets than Sony better be covering that cost for me as well.  2 weeks without my credit card is going to put a serious strain on my bank account, and now it's causing me to miss the closest Phish shows to me and hence means that I probably won't even be able to see them this summer.  "
    If you buy scalper tickets it is your own fault, as for not having your credit card putting strain on your bank account I also don't understand that. You're spending money you don't have, when that CC bill arrives that strain is already there just postponed. Unless you do make up the money rapidly enough, perhaps you should budget better?

idk this is just from my experience with credit cards, I use them to buy things in an emergency only and never to buy things with money I don't have or anticipate having sometime later.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rjayb89

HAH, TOO LATE, BITCHES. I CANCELLED MY SHIT YESTERDAY.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lutonhatter
    @phish09:
    I want to laugh at your ridiculous post, but I'm afraid you will decided to blame me as well and start demanding I buy you tickets as well.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me lol. I'm glad I pay 45 dollars a year to have a good online subscription =].

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrGetBonus
    @phish09:  or you could have just not overreacted to something that may or may not happen.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brendan

As much as I know that no network is truly safe, I have to believe that a large part of the cost of Xbox Live (which many gamers love to knock on) is only notable in the things that don't happen to it.  It could have little to do with it, but this may be an unfortunate case of getting what you pay for in regards to PSN.

Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Phoenix87

Canceled my card two days ago. Thanks Sony for keeping me in the dark for a week.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Who's the one douchebag on Facebook that likes this?

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deeveeus
    @DJJoeJoe: points cards, same as Xbox...its what I'll be using
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zero_

Apparently the 2.2 million CC info is fake from my er... investigative journalism.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By NickM

Good thing the credit card I used on PSN got canned in August. 

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By yoctoyotta

The people shilling the 2.2 million CC database are supposedly saying the data comes with CVV2s as well, something that was never collected by Sony. Not that people shouldn't continue to be on alert for fraud, but I call BS on this claim that these cards are from PSN users. It's just brilliant dishonest marketing tactics coming out of a community of thieves targeted at idiots eager to spend money buying card numbers from a very high profile breach.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

Man now I don't know if I want to get a new card or not. Worst case scenario, I notice weird activity and cancel the charges, take the credit hit and move on. But I can't be without a card for however long it takes for them to send me a new one. I eat with that thing. 

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MAST
    @phish09:

It's funny watching you jump from PSN news article, to PSN news article with your unwarranted hysteria. Honestly, your knee-jerk reactions to this are what is hurting you the most, and I wonder how many other people are reacting in the same ridiculous manner. Probably a lot.

Personally, I haven't reacted to this PSN stuff in any way whatsoever. I had my credit card number, and personal information typed into my PSN account just like a lot of other people, yet I haven't done anything about it. I haven't cancelled my credit card. I've done nothing. I might at some point, if I notice any fishy activity, but I'm pretty confident that nothing is going to happen to me. Which is why I've done nothing.
    See how that works? A potentially bad situation comes around, and instead of flipping out about it, and immediately taking action, I'm calmly observing before I react. Because of that, this whole situation has been a minor nuisance to me. Nothing more.
    In fact, people like you in these comment threads are more annoying than this entire PSN debacle. There is a reason why a ton of people are replying to your comments, telling you that you are being a moron, and basically laughing at you...

I think Patrick Klepick's latest tweet is pretty dead on. He linked this article. For real. Most of you people that are posting in these PSN news threads are acting absurd.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By halberdierv2

well, I think the safest way to do a sony transaction now is with the game cards. this credit card thing is too much.

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42  Edited By CyleMoore
    @XII_Sniper: Same here, but mine expires in two months so I might just wait it out.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Siphillis

I think Klepek is a cool dude.   eh breaks stories and doesn't afraid of anything.

In all seriousness, this is why Sony need to definitely answer questions regarding credit cards, the moment there is any suspicion of theft.
    Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Surkov
    @rjayb89 said:
    " HAH, TOO LATE, BITCHES. I CANCELLED MY SHIT YESTERDAY. "
    This. 
    It's not that hard to cancel a credit card people. 
    With regards to the other personal info, hope the best I guess (shitty I know).  
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this goes bad, this could be really really bad for the video games industry as a whole.

I suddenly don't mind Nintendo asking me for my stuff everytime I buy something.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ
    @CyleMoore said:
    " @XII_Sniper: Same here, but mine expires in two months so I might just wait it out. "
    Yeah that's the thing, I got a good couple years on this one. It's not very old. Ugh credit cards are a hassle sometimes. 
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Hailinel said:
    " I've said this numerous times before, but it bears repeating.  if your credit card information was among those affected, call your card company now and have them issue you a new one.  The worst case scenario is that you'll be without an active credit card for about a week. "
    This is the smartest post here...instead of bitching and worrying, go cancel cards, wait the week to get a new number. They don;t have your social insurance number...call your banks, find out what you can do...this is always possible on the net, whether it be Sony or Amazon or EBay, protect yourself...change ALL passwords as well if they match the one you used on PSN.
    Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By Saga

Sony - Stop outsourcing jobs and insource network/IT security administrators and engineers. And while you are it....hire someone that will actually communicate with your "valuable" customers!!

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JokerFrown

Damnit Sony.  You OWE your customers more then this.  You NEED to be open on every single nitty gritty detail of this calamity.  Way to drag your own name through the dirt.  Even if this "database turns out to be fake, you need to let us know so that we can take steps to prevent identity theft.  

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @Protome said:
    " The database claims to contain Security Numbers for the cards. Which Sony doesn't store.

"
    this seems to be the big thing people are missing when reporting the story.

Not only did Sony already say they dont store the security numbers on there servers but it is also ILLEGAL for any company to store them.  This sounds like it could just be someone trying to pass off credit cards from normal scams as the PSN data.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.