Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

You might want to get PlayStation Plus. Now.

• 88 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So according to Eurogamer, Sony's planning to revamp PlayStation Plus and this will be revealed during their press conference at E3.

Multiple sources have indicated that part of Sony's E3 press conference, set for Monday 4th June, will be devoted to running through the revamp, which is designed to help convince more people to sign up to the premium subscription service.
    One of the ways Sony will do this is by giving subscribers top tier games for free, and implementing proper integration with PS Vita. Plus on Vita will offer Vita exclusive titles and DLC and cloud services that mean you won't have to connect the handheld to a PlayStation 3 or a PC to back up saves and other content.

Also, if an earlier user survey becomes reality, subscription options for PSN+ will be increasing in price:

One possible tier would offer 61 new "A" quality games a year, but with only one PS3 release a week. Sony's suggested price would be a $7.99 (about a fiver) monthly fee, with three-month and yearly price plans also available. Another option offers 80 games a year, mostly "C" and "B" quality, for $10 a month (about £6). Titles would be at least a year old, although 10 full PS3 releases would be offered every week.

But really, the reason that it might be smart to get a subscription to PSN+ before E3 is because of Ross McGrath's (SCEE spokesperson) tweet:

No Caption Provided

Source

So I decided to get a 3 month subscription to PSN+ just in case something awesome happens, and I must say that I'm enjoying its offers. Awesomenauts, Rock of Ages and Trine 2 all currently available for me for free (plus a bunch of other free stuff) as well as other free games that will be available in the future? Not bad. True, the completely free products essentially "expire" along with your subscription, but I think it's still a good deal and there are a lot of deals available to PSN+ members, of which won't expire when purchased.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Someone who works for Sony says its a good idea to buy a subscription for a Sony service. It's going to take more than that to convince me.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@BraveToaster: Yes, but that combined with the upcoming revamp made me want to take the safer route and just get a 3 month subscription because if something good happens to previous PSN+ members, I don't want to regret it.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

PS+ is the shit. I gots so much free stuff I don't even know what to do with. I'm also gaining an impressive PS1 game library now thanks to PS+. I'm excited to see what they're doing with the already awesome service. Someone on their blog was teasing about awesome upcoming features to keep an eye out for! I WANNA KNOW NOW!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder
    @BraveToaster said:

Someone who works for Sony says its a good idea to buy a subscription for a Sony service. It's going to take more than that to convince me.

How about a forum post from someone with a blue name?
    Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Goldanas

Actually, the games you just mentioned that you got for free will remain free for you as long as you keep them on your HDD. Those games are downloaded via demo and then an activation 100kb file. The PS+ DRM only functions on actual full direct downloads, ie no activation download. Once you let your PS+ expire, you'll notice you can still play those games. At least that's how it worked for me. I stacked two trial codes for a month each and got all the free games of Tue past two months, which means I got those for free now since my PS+ ran out. Shift 2 of last month expired, but Shank 2 has no time period on it and I could still load it up.

skipper00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By skipper00

PS + is has been so worth it. I have so much games to get through and I have only been signed up for the past 3 months. Excited to see what is in store.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@BeachThunder said:

Didn't know people still paid attention to name colors.

@Goldanas: Oh wow, that's even better. So, essentially, if this works out and I get those three games mentioned in my original post for free, my PSN+ sub has already paid for itself.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

No thanks. I don't like the idea of PlayStation Plus really. I love Sony's consoles, and I love playing games on them, but after already paying for Xbox Live, it's just... no thanks. I'm not saying one's better than the other, I just don't want to spend yearly fee's on all of this stuff. My mind may change in the future, but from its inception to now, I wouldn't even think of paying for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I wish I turned my Playstation on more often.

Also people still care about name colors? Really? Mines blue because it looks good on the black field.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By laserbolts

Man is it wrong that I get irritated when people say they are getting games for free through ps+ when they are paying for ps+?

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goldanas

Yeah, the PS+ has a disclaimer about full games expiring when it's up as you download, but it also has a clause about DOC stating that as long as you have the game, the DLC will remain free for continued use. The activation download is technically seen by the PS3 as DLC for the demo, so once I saw the clause, I checked the information tab on the game files and saw that it didn't contain the PS+ DRM timer like Shift 2. I let my stacked trial run out and loaded up the games and was happy to see I was correct.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vestigial_Man

It is my completely uninformed theory that this might have to do with the streaming/Gaikai deal. It would be a pretty incredible value add if they started letting PS+ users stream PS1 and PS2 games.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BabyChooChoo

For some reason, I thought the price of PSN+ was way more expensive than it actually is lol. meh, I'll bite

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones

Playstation plus is actually a pretty fucking awesome service. It truly is worth the price I think so if your on the edge I'd say go for it

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

@FluxWaveZ said:

@BraveToaster: Yes, but that combined with the upcoming revamp made me want to take the safer route and just get a 3 month subscription because if something good happens to previous PSN+ members, I don't want to regret it.

I'm just worried about paying for another subscription and regretting it if the announcement doesn't live up to the hype. I own both a PS3 and 360, but I experience a lot of network disconnections on my PS3. I couldn't even download the games that I got for that server outage last year.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@laserbolts said:

Man is it wrong that I get irritated when people say they are getting games for free through ps+ when they are paying for ps+?

3 month sub = $17.99

Rock of Ages = $9.99

Trine 2 = $14.99

Awesomenauts = $9.99

Total = $34.97

This doesn't even include all of the other free stuff plus the free games that will be available in the future. Not sure why that's irritating.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Phatmac

People that diss PS+ are fucking morons. You get some great deals on good games. Why do people hate good things? If you don't care about it then fine, just don't be a jerk about it. I already have PS+ for this year so I'm pumped to see what Sony has to show.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By markini6

Does anyone know how to buy 3 months without going on your PS3? I'm away from it for another week, so can't do it that way. Any way on the Vita or on a PC?

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Goldanas
    @BraveToaster Your free outage games should be tied to your subscriptions under your account settings, at least that's how it was for me.

It's a bummer though that you experience so many disconnects on your PS3. For me it's the other way around, but I know it's just users DCing on me on the 360.

I don't pay for either service though now. I don't see the value. When I get free trial codes I just use those. That feels more justified for certain services that should he free out of the gate.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

I forgot to turn off auto-renew after my free trial, so I still have an active subscription until the end of July.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster

@Goldanas: Yeah, I know that my free games are tied to my account, but I can't stay connected long enough to fully download them. If I didn't have these connection issues, I would be buying more games for my PS3 (for the free online).

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ervonymous

I'm interested to see what they do with Plus on the Vita, I don't have a PS3 so it would have to be something pretty neat.. and not screw over European customers. Right now the Youtube app isn't coming to Finland, Norway, Portugal and Greece among other countries, so I'm not exactly expecting much.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laserbolts

@FluxWaveZ said:

@laserbolts said:

3 month sub = $17.99

Rock of Ages = $9.99

Trine 2 = $14.99

Awesomenauts = $9.99

Total = $34.97

This doesn't even include all of the other free stuff plus the free games that will be available in the future. Not sure why that's irritating.

It's not really that irritating but it isn't free. It's a good deal though.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fattony12000

TRUST ME

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ESREVER

@markini6: I think you can go here: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/ and choose either the 3 month or 12 month download code. I'm guessing they send you the code right away and you can redeem it under your Sony Entertainment Network account. Oh right, you should be able to redeem it on your vita as well.

I think that should work, I never tried it. But its the only solution I can come up with at the moment.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Lukeweizer

PS+ never really interested me because @laserbolts said:

This. I'm sure the free games outweigh the price of the subscription eventually. But it's just hard to totally be on board with it when I still have to pay for something.

And I'm a little confused as to what they're promoting, just the free games they're going to give? Is that all I'm going to get? The PS1 and PS2 stuff would interest me, but I don't feel like paying money (a subscription fee) to get games that I'm not interested in, for free. I'm still paying for them!

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By MetalBaofu

@laserbolts: Yeah, sure, they aren't exactly free. I got a year subscription a couple months ago for 50 bucks. Averages out to about 4 bucks a month for whatever they put up. Rock of Ages, Awesomenauts, and Trine 2 for $4? That's close enough to be called free to me. I'm only 2 or 3 months into my year subscription, and the games I have downloaded and played are already worth more than the 50 dollars I paid.

Shank 2, Trine 2, Rock of Ages, Awesomenauts, Comix Zone, Altered Beast, etc.

Now for someone that doesn't care about PSN downloadable games, I can see it not being worth it, but for me it has absolutely been worth it.

xenexprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xenexprime

I barely play consoles anymore, but my sister does so I renewed a coupled of days ago after being inactive for 2 months. the service in my opinion is worth it. almost all the games I downloaded for free on the 1 year membership I had paid before it expired still fully worked. so for the price to get all those games is very much worth it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@BeachThunder said:

@BraveToaster said:

Sold! Signing up right now.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Klei

I would totally get PSN+ if Sony's payment system wasn't such a fucking dud. Since its launch, they REFUSE my credit card, saying it doesn't match my credit information or whatever. Hundreds of people are stuck like me, unable to do shit. Yes, it still pisses me off. I can't get anything on the PSN store unless I purchase a card.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By laserbolts

@MetalBaofu said:

@laserbolts: Yeah, sure, they aren't exactly free. I got a year subscription a couple months ago for 50 bucks. Averages out to about 4 bucks a month for whatever they put up. Rock of Ages, Awesomenauts, and Trine 2 for $4? That's close enough to be called free to me. I'm only 2 or 3 months into my year subscription, and the games I have downloaded and played are already worth more than the 50 dollars I paid.

Shank 2, Trine 2, Rock of Ages, Awesomenauts, Comix Zone, Altered Beast, etc.

Now for someone that doesn't care about PSN downloadable games, I can see it not being worth it, but for me it has absolutely been worth it.

Oh I agree i'm not dismissing the value of ps+ since it seems like a great deal. Even though the only game you mentioned that I would like to play is Trine 2.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wadtomaton

I ended up getting the 3 month sub because I needed to use the cloud saves to back up protected saves from a dieing console. Ended up buying another year after that was up XD

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#34  Edited By mike

You guys all keep saying "Free games"...but they aren't really free, are they? Don't all of these games expire once you stop paying for the service, or do you get to actually keep some of these games forever? If not, a better term would be "free rental" or something like that.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Jazzycola

I've had a a month PS+ card sitting on my shelf for about 8 months now. I got it when I bought my second PS3 on Black Friday and I'll probably never use it. I also never used the trial on either of my accounts nor the free 30 days from the "Welcome Back" package after the PSN outage.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jmfinamore

@BraveToaster: I have the same problem on the PS3. Games either download super slow or will just stop halfway through. It makes a pain to get not just games/demos, but system updates so I can actually use the thing. I have no idea why it happens, since everything else on my network works fine and gets good speeds. Like you said, it's a reason I will probably not get PS+ even though it sounds awesome.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By rjayb89

I had about a full year of this plus the three months for PSN being down for security issues. I can only remember playing one game to completion with that subscription, and that was Stacking. I have a few Final Fantasy games downloaded for free from it, but I can't play older games anymore. Sure, the cloud saves were cool, but now I have a new PS3 and the older one is just a media server now since it broke on me once. I'll renew my subscription just this once, but I'm not gonna be happy about it unless I get free BJs from Missy Stone or something.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@FluxWaveZ said:

@laserbolts said:

3 month sub = $17.99

Rock of Ages = $9.99

Trine 2 = $14.99

Awesomenauts = $9.99

Total = $34.97

And after that 3 month subscription you lose those free games unless you renew.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zeushbien

@MB said:

You guys all keep saying "Free games"...but they aren't really free, are they? Don't all of these games expire once you stop paying for the service, or do you get to actually keep some of these games forever? If not, a better term would be "free rental" or something like that.

Yeah, I must admit that is the main thing that's keeping me from it, I know it's a little silly as most games I don't touch after the initial period anyway. And of course I see why they can't let you keep them, but still, something about it irks me.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#40  Edited By jacksukeru

I'll take my chances.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By myke_tuna

This is probably answered somewhere else, but I'm just gonna go ahead and ask it: Do the free games you get expire after they cease to be free? Does that even happen? For example, say Streets of Rage II is free for June, you download it as a PS+ sub and then in July it stops being free, do you keep the game since you downloaded it during the free period (and as long as you continue subbing)?

Or does it go away and then you have to download the free games available in July which basically means does the copy of Streets of Rage II you got cease to work? All along I've been thinking that PS+ works the way I'm describing which has stopped me from getting it, but if I get to keep the free games they offer (even the retail ones!), then I might just go ahead and do it. But if it does work like I'm saying, then I'm gonna pass. I don't think I have enough time to finish a game in a month.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xyzygy

The thing for me is that I don't like / don't want to play most of the games they offer for "free". Then I realize that I'm paying for 75 - 85% of games that I don't even want. I would rather purchase the few games that I want rather than being offered a list. And to be honest, the list of PSN exclusive games that I want to play is essentially nonexistant. I find that the best downloadable exclusives are on 360; couple that in with the multiplatform games I get on it for achievements and then PS+ really isn't something that sounds good for me.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@SomeDeliCook said:

And after that 3 month subscription you lose those free games unless you renew.

If you would have read the comments in this thread, you'd know that you don't lose the games, keeping them as long as they're on your HDD.

@MB said:

You keep the games with the activation codes, which are the non-retail ones.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ESREVER

@myketuna: The games available for free in June stay free into July and so on as long as you can access them from your download list. Meaning if you were to remove it from your hdd for some reason, you could still download it for free from your list.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By myke_tuna

@ESREVER said:

@myketuna: The games available for free in June stay free into July and so on as long as you can access them from your download list. Meaning if you were to remove it from your hdd for some reason, you could still download it for free from your list.

But the games that were free in June aren't still on the "free list" in say, August, are they? I always thought they remove some of the stuff as time goes by. Kind of like Netflix. But if I get what you're telling me, if I download ALL the games they offer and then delete them, I could always redownload them for free anyway. Forever (as long as I sub). Am I correct?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By musubi

If I had no budget for games PS+ would be amazing. I however buy a fair amount of games so getting free games does nothing for me because I have zero motivation to play them because I have a pile of $60 games I just paid for.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Brodehouse said:

I wish I turned my Playstation on more often. Also people still care about name colors? Really? Mines blue because it looks good on the black field.

Yeah I never do either. Brand loyalty is such a dumb thing to get behind, people should just admit each company does their own thing well, and that's it, no swearing alligences to certain consoles, it's stupid.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@RockmanBionics said:

I'll take my chances.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShaneDev

I would rather wait and see what the actual details are and what games I can expect from the service before I buy a subscription. Not really that interested in PS+ anyway but I do want to see that this Gaikai announcement is.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ESREVER

@myketuna said:

@ESREVER said:

But the games that were free in June aren't still on the "free list" in say, August, are they? I always thought they remove some of the stuff as time goes by. Kind of like Netflix. But if I get what you're telling me, if I download ALL the games they offer and then delete them, I could always redownload them for free anyway. Forever (as long as I sub). Am I correct?

Correct! The free games in June would stay free for you as long as you downloaded them in the allotted time. They go off the free list in July, where if you hadn't gotten them before then, you would have to pay for them. But as long as you downloaded them when they were free, they will stay free for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.