Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Playstation VR sold out in SECONDS! And I'm kinda bummed...

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

I literally woke up just to be ready to hit the preorder button. I kept loading the page over and over and over. It finally said "Add to cart" for the preorder, I did, and then was met with the "Currently unavailable" message. I mean...I could't have been any more on point with my timing if I tried. Hell, I was actually given the option to add it to cart, and it was still gone before I could click one more button. I'm disappointed, but also wonder if they purposely short supplied this one so they could call themselves the "fastest selling VR device outthere"...I wonder.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I read it took less than 10 minutes on Amazon, but not a matter of seconds. I wonder what the actual timing was. Either way, the core unit will be available for pre-order on the 29th. You'll need to buy a camera separately, though.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't seconds. I was also available on Best Buy for a good while.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@vegetashonor: can you go to gamesstop or another physical retailer and preorder it there?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

It was actually up on Amazon for about 10 minutes. Sorry you couldn't get your pre-order in though. :(

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@counterclockwork87: I ended up getting it on best buy. But dude, I know what was reported, but I was ON THIS and it was seconds before I couldn't order. I saw it go live and disappear within that first minute. It was craaaazy!

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was refreshing that amazon page at work this morning to make sure I got my preorder. Luckily I had no trouble, but I am surprised the preorders sold out so quick. Hoping this is a good sign for VR as a whole.

Sadly I'm Canadian and the bundle will cost me almost $790 with taxes :(

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Eh, I'll buy it when it's available. There's so many cool Video Games out all the time now that it doesn't even matter really whether or not I get this on day 1.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's awesome. It's a safe bet that this one will have the largest install base. Please, Sony, don't fuck it up like most of your other gadgets (PS3 Eye, Move, PSP, Vita). I can only trust them to take care of their main console.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@marc said:

Sadly I'm Canadian and the bundle will cost me almost $790 with taxes :(

Word duder. WORD. T_T

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't any amount of time just a matter of seconds, really?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how many units where available?

I'm not a day one for this, but maybe a year one at least. If it comes out and all signs are pointing to it not being a dud it might be a late Christmas present to myself.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm kinda bummed people are falling for this new gimmick.

Enjoy your mini games collections, I guess.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

Have you actually tried VR, or is your opinion all assumption at this point?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Well...fuck. I didn't even know it was going on sale today.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

The gimmick Facebook paid 2 BILLION DOLLARS for?

Uh huh....

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@hippie_genocide said:

Isn't any amount of time just a matter of seconds, really?

I smugly nodded at this comment for a long time. Nice work HG. Brilliant.

I wonder how many units where available?

I'm not a day one for this, but maybe a year one at least. If it comes out and all signs are pointing to it not being a dud it might be a late Christmas present to myself.

Yeah real curious about this too. I'm sure they'll let us know at some point, "selling out" is usually a good thing..

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Cybexx

Neogaf had a direct link to the Playstation VR Bundle's Amazon Smile page which was live before the main page so that is why it sold out so fast in the US. Canada doesn't have Amazon Smile but it still sold out quite fast. I slept in a bit and missed it when I got on my computer at 7:15 PST. But I did manage to preorder on Best Buy Canada which seemed to be taking Preorders for about an hour. The search term "Playstation VR" was broken on the Best Buy site during the preorder so I used a direct link from Playstation Canada's twitter account.

I will also try to grab the normal Playstation VR set next Tuesday because I already have the camera and I don't know what the MSRP of the Playstation Move controllers and Playstation Worlds will actually be, especially since the price of the bundle in Canada is $50 over the exchange rate from the US price.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Thumper looked real crazy but nothing else at launch is really screaming GOTTA BUY THIS NOW.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xanadu

I'm still not convinced about this, though I want to believe. I'm pretty sure I heard talk about Carmack talking about the Riff and saying in order for people to not get sick while playing it has to be displaying at least 90hz. Is that really going to be possible on consoles? Have the demos shown so far for the PlayStation VR even run at this refresh rate? Or are people just simply getting use to lower refresh rates on VR headsets?

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where were you trying to pre-order from? EB Games started taking pre-orders a week ago, the moment the price and date was announced. I assumed other retailers did the same.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@xanadu said:

Have the demos shown so far for the PlayStation VR even run at this refresh rate? Or are people just simply getting use to lower refresh rates on VR headsets?

It does run at 90 and 120 hz. Just don't expect the games to look like Witcher 3 or Bloodborne.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamestop and shit has them. The places that take preorders for no money until release sold out quickly.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@xanadu said:

I'm still not convinced about this, though I want to believe. I'm pretty sure I heard talk about Carmack talking about the Riff and saying in order for people to not get sick while playing it has to be displaying at least 90hz. Is that really going to be possible on consoles? Have the demos shown so far for the PlayStation VR even run at this refresh rate? Or are people just simply getting use to lower refresh rates on VR headsets?

Yes.

Loading Video...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@onekillwonder_ said:

Well...fuck. I didn't even know it was going on sale today.

@vegetashonor said:

@counterclockwork87: I ended up getting it on best buy. But dude, I know what was reported, but I was ON THIS and it was seconds before I couldn't order. I saw it go live and disappear within that first minute. It was craaaazy!

They mean 2pm PST, btw.

Looks like anyone who missed out will be getting a second chance. If you'd pre-ordered elsewhere and would rather switch to Amazon, you just might be able to do that.

Also, I gotta laugh at Best Buy Support trolling Amazon in a reply to their own tweet. I gotta laugh even harder, considering that their pre-orders never ended, and a lot of people may end up getting their orders canceled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.