Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Dec 02, 2008

A 2008 entry into the Prince of Persia franchise titled simply "Prince of Persia", this game stars an all-new Prince as he teams up with the mysterious Elika to fight Ahriman and cleanse the world of his corruption.

*ugh* Can't believe I'm writing this...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

*gulp*  That was my pride that I swallowed, so give me a minute............okay, I'm set.

I loved Sands of Time and Warrior Within, as well as the first two PoP games on the PC.  Unfortunately, Two Thrones and its shitty Wii port have made me feel like I just can't trust Ubisoft.  The game wasn't BAD, but it wasn't AMAZING like the first two were...and I have never picked it up again after the first playthrough.

I've read quite a lot of reviews, but most of them are written by fuckers that I don't trust further than I can throw them...and in the world of gaming...we ain't all skinny fucks. 

I don't buy many games.  I only spend $60 if I ABSOLUTELY KNOW that I'll be playing it again and again and again for the end of all time.  That's why my game library is very slim for the most part.  Otherwise, I just rent this shit.  I would ABSOLUTELY rent it first...but every place in my town (by some alarmingly God's-wrath-against-jakob187-like surprise) are completely out of rental copies.

Therefore......*thinks to self*are you seriously fixing to ask this in the forums after ALL the times you've bitch, jake?...."yes, you are"....fuck it*back to you*....

Should I buy this game?

There, I fucking said it, alright?!  I seriously don't know.  Two Thrones has me thrown off, and the reviews sound great and all...but still, there's this nagging bit of doubt in the back of my head.  I want to play it super bad...but you know that doubt I'm talking about.  It's the one that keeps picking at this part in the southwest part of your brain, in that little empty void that isn't ever being used, and it just screams:  "HEY FUCKO!  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!  PLAY IT FIRST, YOU NUMBNUT FUCKSTAIN!"

Well...that's what my mind yells at me.

So, Giant Bomb community...help me.  I'll even make a compromise:  give me a complete and honest opinion, and I'll admit to liking Fable II marginally.

...fuck, I just said it, didn't I?  Shit...
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

No. Play Left 4 Dead to get your head straight.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Coltonio7

Don't buy it. DON'T.

This game was made for renting.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb
    jakob187 said:
    "*gulp*  That was my pride that I swallowed, so give me a minute............okay, I'm set.
    I loved Sands of Time and Warrior Within, as well as the first two PoP games on the PC.  Unfortunately, Two Thrones and its shitty Wii port have made me feel like I just can't trust Ubisoft.  The game wasn't BAD, but it wasn't AMAZING like the first two were...and I have never picked it up again after the first playthrough.

I've read quite a lot of reviews, but most of them are written by fuckers that I don't trust further than I can throw them...and in the world of gaming...we ain't all skinny fucks. 

I don't buy many games.  I only spend $60 if I ABSOLUTELY KNOW that I'll be playing it again and again and again for the end of all time.  That's why my game library is very slim for the most part.  Otherwise, I just rent this shit.  I would ABSOLUTELY rent it first...but every place in my town (by some alarmingly God's-wrath-against-jakob187-like surprise) are completely out of rental copies.

Therefore......*thinks to self*are you seriously fixing to ask this in the forums after ALL the times you've bitch, jake?...."yes, you are"....fuck it*back to you*....

Should I buy this game?

There, I fucking said it, alright?!  I seriously don't know.  Two Thrones has me thrown off, and the reviews sound great and all...but still, there's this nagging bit of doubt in the back of my head.  I want to play it super bad...but you know that doubt I'm talking about.  It's the one that keeps picking at this part in the southwest part of your brain, in that little empty void that isn't ever being used, and it just screams:  "HEY FUCKO!  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!  PLAY IT FIRST, YOU NUMBNUT FUCKSTAIN!"

So, Giant Bomb community...help me.  I'll even make a compromise:  give me a complete and honest opinion, and I'll admit to liking Fable II marginally.

"

Both you and Ark have swallowed your pride, in one week! Who's next, me?!?!?!?! o noez
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiggerBomb said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "*gulp*  That was my pride that I swallowed, so give me a minute............okay, I'm set.

Should I buy this game?

"

Both you and Ark have swallowed your pride, in one week! Who's next, me?!?!?!?! o noez"
    WHAT YOU SAYIN, FOO!?!
    WHAT YOU SAYIN, FOO!?!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187

Really?  Is the game bad or is it just an awesome game that's worth 1 playthrough?

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Coltonio7
    jakob187 said:
    "Really?  Is the game bad or is it just an awesome game that's worth 1 playthrough?"
    Just 1 man. Just 1. There's no real replay value....unless you really like jumping on shit.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187

How about achievements?  Are there any decent things that can increase the replay for me?  I like achievements.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "How about achievements?  Are there any decent things that can increase the replay for me?  I like achievements."
    Achievements suck, and you suck for thinking achievements, which suck, don't suck.
    Suck.
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Coltonio7
    jakob187 said:
    "How about achievements?  Are there any decent things that can increase the replay for me?  I like achievements."
    ALL THE PICTURES ARE THE SAAAAAAAAAME!!!!

But....there's a cool titanic achievement.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Achievements suck, and you suck for thinking achievements, which suck, don't suck.
    Suck."
    Achievements can add all kinds of replay value to a game (Crackdown).  I'm sorry you think they suck.  I enjoy playing games in different ways (Geometry Wars 2).
    Coltonio7 said:
    "jakob187 said:

But....there's a cool titanic achievement."
    That sucks to hear.  Well, it sounds like a rental.  That makes me sad.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Looks like I WILL be buying TDK tonight.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Suck."
    Achievements can add all kinds of replay value to a game (Crackdown).  I'm sorry you think they suck.  I enjoy playing games in different ways (Geometry Wars 2).
    Coltonio7 said:
    "jakob187 said:

But....there's a cool titanic achievement."
    That sucks to hear.  Well, it sounds like a rental.  That makes me sad.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Looks like I WILL be buying TDK tonight.
    "
    Don't you not like that or something?
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By fr0br0
    jakob187 said:
    "Looks like I WILL be buying TDK tonight."
    How was that not even an absolute thing to begin with...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Looks like I WILL be buying TDK tonight."
    How was that not even an absolute thing to begin with..."
    My roomie's boyfriend brought it home the other night (he works at Blockbuster), and even on my 56" with 7.1 surround...it didn't feel the same as it did in theatres.
    But if I buy it anywhere, it's going to be Wal-Mart.  While all the other stores have pussy Joker and Batman gifts with theirs, Wal-Mart has muthafuckin' TWO-FACE!!!  Now THAT'S what I'M talkin 'bout.

I see LiquidPrince has his review up now...so I'm gonna see what homie has to say.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight Blu-ray is great. Looks amazing. Not perfect though.
    The extras disc sucks balls. It has this horrible documentary about the psychology of the Batman characters which is a totally erroneous fluff piece.
    The extras on the movie disc are alright. No commentary track though. And seriously, not even a mention about what Heath Ledger did to prepare for the role of the Joker? I would really like to know about that.
    Also, half the movie is shot with Imax cameras so it's kind of jarring how it pops from a fullscreen beautiful panorama or action shot, to a letterboxed differently lighted dialogue scene. As I said, it's a fucking treat to watch in all its HD glory.

As for Prince Of Persia? I'm not gonna consider it until they either trot out a demo or I've thinned out the backlog some more.
    If you're this much on the fence I recommend giving it a rental first.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187

I never listen to commentary tracks.  They get in the way of the movie audio.  = D  I don't care about what the fuck they are saying on that shit.  lol

As for special features, the Batman Begins stuff was pretty thin as well, but then again, you are talking about the Blu-Ray edition.  I'm looking at the DVD one...and I'm sure there's going to be a double box-set with BB and TDK in it sometime next Christmas.  lol
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Demyx

I am definitely renting Prince of Persia, and then possibly buying it at a later time.
    If there was something new that they added, I would most definitely buy it then.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By BoG

I hate all of you.

Buy the game, because it is amazing. The naysayers lack taste. This is a title you'll want in your collection.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BoG said:
    "I hate all of you.
    Buy the game, because it is amazing. The naysayers lack taste. This is a title you'll want in your collection.
    "
    Yeah? YEAH!?!
    Go back in your box, mang!
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By tekmojo

Don't buy it. Rent it or borrow from a friend. You'll regret it.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daniel_beck_90

the game is magnificent and a must play  .POP worth being in your collection but if you are in financial  trouble you should rent it  , after 2 playthroughs the game has really  nothing else to offer . .

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187

Yeah, I've decided that I'm just going to rent it.  I'd love to buy it, as I'm sure the story is damn good and the game plays great.  However, if they seriously can't offer me more than 2 playthroughs worth of stuff to do, then I'm just not interested in throwing my money down.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By BoG

Some of you really are picky about things. I'm actually happy that I am content with a single playthrough in just about every single game.

Either I'm lucky because of this, or unlucky because I havea  short attention span.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
    BoG said:
    "Some of you really are picky about things. I'm actually happy that I am content with a single playthrough in just about every single game.
    Either I'm lucky because of this, or unlucky because I havea  short attention span.
    "
    Well, I'm just very picky about buying games in general.  If I'm going to own a game (because I'm never going to trade games in), then I want to make sure I'm buying something that I will play time and time and time again.  I want my game collection to be difficult to choose from what I want to play.  I was cool with single playthrough games in my collection until a couple years back.  I remember buying Sands of Time and Warrior Within, and after I played through them in all their excellence...man, I never touched them again.  Granted, they were EXCELLENT games...really mind-blowingly good.  However, I just had no incentive to do it again.  I'd already seen the story, heard the story, beaten the game...
    My movie collection works very much in the same way.  I have a collection of about 170 DVDs now.  I used to have a collection of roughly 400.  However, I had to sell them all to pay off a ticket.  After that ass-rape, I looked at all the movies I owned and realized that I owned them as conversation pieces, not as things I would actually watch.  The movies I own now...they are CONSTANTLY getting watched.  I'll watch at least 1 or 2 movies a night.  A lot of that is because I don't watch TV at all unless it's a series I really like, and even then...I wait for it on DVD.

So I'm not doubting the quality of PoP at all, to be honest.  I'm just not sure about OWNING it if I'll end up playing it once or twice all the way through, then it sits on a shelf forever after that.  I still have some games that I honestly regret buying, just because I never play them anymore and don't really have any ambition to.
    TheJadeAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheJadeAngel

I've gone about digging up every peice of gameplay footage i can get my hands on .  Ubisoft got it right with PoP this time IMHO but like so many fans of the Prince i'm a bit wary .  Rent then buy Angel Rent then buy !.....  I don't wanna have another spot filled in the library of never to be played again games .  I've already got a wall of shame that is bigger than my wall of game candy.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By atejas

From what I hear, the game is excessively easy, but other than that, it's awesome.
    Apparently it resembles SotC in a few ways, make of that what you will.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By albedos_shadow

It's only really good for 1 playthrough, but it's one of those games you want to keep in your collection.

ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ezdude

Yup play it once, but sometime in the future, maybe in the really long future, you'll want to play it again, so why not keep it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

im sorry guys but this game sucks dude. its beautiful and all, but the combat feels like a button mash, totally fucking easy, and the platforming is way too simple. also, theres like no puzzle solving at all. and the main character doesn't feel right for this game at all. also, the story is junk. everything about it felt tacked on, except for the awesome graphics. 

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By atejas

Having played it, I can say it feels nothing like the old PoP games. Not that that's a bad thing.
    It's not challenging. It has inspired art direction, looks beautiful in motion, has great characters, a decent storyline(great ending btw), shitty combat, and incredibly fun exploration.
    It's not a game you play to finish. It's a game you play to experience, if you understand me.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I've put probably around 5-10 hours into it, and while I do like the new art style, I have some problems with the game. I think the combat is pretty lousy, for one. It may not have been great in the previous generation's PoP games either, but I did prefer it then. Now it's always a one-on-one battle, and it's pretty simplified and easy and you can't lose, so you can just keep fighting until you eventually defeat the guy.

Also, the game lacks the speed of the earlier PoP games. It all just feels much slower paced to me, which in part makes sense because sometimes you're working in tandem with Elika, which slows things down, but it's more than just the general gameplay that is slower -- the animations are too. This has become kind of a nuisance for me at times. I'll push a button and there's not an instant reaction from the Prince, so I'll push it again, so the first animation will have started but then because I pushed it a second time, I'll often end up jumping to my death. Heck, dude, and I'm not even an impatient guy, but if I'm pushing a button, MOVE IT! This isn't the Wii, it's not that the controls are unresponsive, but with some animations, it seems to me that there's a brief pause before the character reacts.

Okay, now here's my big problem with the game. I'll say this without spoiling anything, but it will briefly explain the basic action you do in the game. Throughout the game, you go to these areas, you're climbing, wall-running, jumping, pole-swinging, and such to get to these certain platforms. After you do that, floating orbs appear throughout this whole area that you need to collect (at your own pace, I should add), but what this does is it forces you to repeat the same paths you just spent the last 10-15 minutes on. The repetitiveness in that just freaking kills me. Plus once the orbs are unlocked, it opens some additional paths, and these paths branch out into long different paths which you are often unable to backtrack through, so you gotta go all the way through this whole path, then back onto the original path for like a third time, possibly even a fourth time, if you want to collect all these orbs. The very nature of that whole thing has been my biggest problem with the game. It was fun the first time. It was kind of a chore the second time. By the third time, I want to freaking be doing something else already! Plus in general, the game already has a tremendous amount of backtracking, so be prepared to travel through these areas several times more during the course of the game. All this is making me think I'd score the game in the 7.5-8.0 range if I were to review it based on what I've played so far. However, other elements of this game are so impressive that I really wish I could like this game more than I do. It all makes me yearn for last gen's Prince of Persia games, even though I did think The Sands of Time was a bit overrated.

splitscreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By splitscreen

the game is bad cause for me its just very easy to beat, but the game play and the flow of the game isan't that bad, the game is defently a rent worth playing once 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jayge_
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "I've put probably around 5-10 hours into it, and while I do like the new art style, I have some problems with the game. I think the combat is pretty lousy, for one. It may not have been great in the previous generation's PoP games either, but I did prefer it then. Now it's always a one-on-one battle, and it's pretty simplified and easy and you can't lose, so you can just keep fighting until you eventually defeat the guy.

Also, the game lacks the speed of the earlier PoP games. It all just feels much slower paced to me, which in part makes sense because sometimes you're working in tandem with Elika, which slows things down, but it's more than just the general gameplay that is slower -- the animations are too. This has become kind of a nuisance for me at times. I'll push a button and there's not an instant reaction from the Prince, so I'll push it again, so the first animation will have started but then because I pushed it a second time, I'll often end up jumping to my death. Heck, dude, and I'm not even an impatient guy, but if I'm pushing a button, MOVE IT! This isn't the Wii, it's not that the controls are unresponsive, but with some animations, it seems to me that there's a brief pause before the character reacts.

Okay, now here's my big problem with the game. I'll say this without spoiling anything, but it will briefly explain the basic action you do in the game. Throughout the game, you go to these areas, you're climbing, wall-running, jumping, pole-swinging, and such to get to these certain platforms. After you do that, floating orbs appear throughout this whole area that you need to collect (at your own pace, I should add), but what this does is it forces you to repeat the same paths you just spent the last 10-15 minutes on. The repetitiveness in that just freaking kills me. Plus once the orbs are unlocked, it opens some additional paths, and these paths branch out into long different paths which you are often unable to backtrack through, so you gotta go all the way through this whole path, then back onto the original path for like a third time, possibly even a fourth time, if you want to collect all these orbs. The very nature of that whole thing has been my biggest problem with the game. It was fun the first time. It was kind of a chore the second time. By the third time, I want to freaking be doing something else already! Plus in general, the game already has a tremendous amount of backtracking, so be prepared to travel through these areas several times more during the course of the game. All this is making me think I'd score the game in the 7.5-8.0 range if I were to review it based on what I've played so far. However, other elements of this game are so impressive that I really wish I could like this game more than I do. It all makes me yearn for last gen's Prince of Persia games, even though I did think The Sands of Time was a bit overrated."
    You only have to collect like 1 orb and then you're fine, you know that right?

As for the timing issue, I agree. It's a little odd the way the Prince reacts, and everything feels sort of mushy and out of place in terms of button press time compared to reaction time.

Other than that... I think this game's narrative and art direction stand as an experience that everyone should try at least once.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.