What I, perhaps erroneously, assumed in my years of video gaming is that almost all soundtracks go heavy with the electric guitar when they reach the inevitable volcano level of the game. That's partly from wanting to ramp up the tempo to go with the heat, and I assume partly to do with how heavy metal album covers tend to be fixated on flaming skulls and chasms full of hellfire and succubi that look like Lita Ford and Joan Jett rocking double-guitars.
Turns out there's a broad range of what might constitute a "volcanic" track that the following ten entries just about cover. When you sit and consider what sort of ambient music best suits a volcano, there's evidently a few directions you could take it.
(As is usual, I've gone with one game per series here. I also can't link to the track in question in each individual entry, so I'll just put them all here:
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana - A Searing Struggle
- Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Volcano/Lava Dome
- Atelier Iris 2 - Marduk
- Super Mario 64 - Lethal Lava Land
- Diddy Kong Racing - Hot Top Volcano
- Super Metroid - Norfair Lava Zone
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Fire Temple
- 3D Dot Game Heroes - Biscrow Volcano
- Tales of Eternia - Efreet Gorge
- Street Fighter IV - Volcanic Rim )