No console is perfect, as we all know. Each one has its Streangths and its weakness's. Anyway, this is what I Like and what I hate about both the PS3 and 360.
PS3: things I like:
1. Built in Hard Drive with every console: this gives devs the oppurtunity to utilize the HDD to improve performance and load times, but really, only Exclusives are going to utilize this like they should.
2. Bluray: This ensures that devs will never be cramped for space and will be able to get the most out of Textures and stuff like that. Again, only Exclusives are really going to take advnatage of this.
3. Hardware Reliability: This is one of the main things Playstation has over XBOX this gen. The RROD fiasco for 360 will probaly go down in history as one of the biggest Technical failures of any console. Some reports indicated a over 50 percent failure rate for the old consoles, however, the new consoles are much less likely to break, but there is still a Linearing odor hovering around 360 because of this.
4. The Exclusives: Personally, I think the Exclusives for PS3 so far have been some of the most Cinematic and Granduous weve seen. 360 does have great Exclusives, but I just felt that PS3 Exclusives as of late have been more compelling to me.
5. The cool Factor: Another odd one, but I think the PS3 has more of a cool Factor than 360 does. Same reason I thought XBOX was cooler than PS2. Maybe its because PS3 isnt as mainstream as 360, maybe its the way the Box logos look for the games, I dont know, but I thought it was a cooler syestem. Does that make it better? not really. Im not about to say that the XBOX was better than the PS2, but I liked my XBOX more than my PS2 last gen.
Now, onto the things I hate about it:
1. The Overcomplicated hardware: yes, PS3 ON PAPER is probaly the most technically advanced, but in order to utilize it fully, you really need to devote alot of time and Resources, something thats simply not going to happen with Most multiplatform games since theyll be probaly focusing on the 360 version more than the PS3 version because they believe itll sell better on 360. I really wish SONY next gen will use more off the shelf parts instead of Tech that Devs STILL cant get there head around.
2. The multiplatforms: Now, many will argue that now a days, Multipaltform releases are the same. And they would be sort of right. To the average person, the PS3 version would look fine enough. But if you go on Comparison sites, youll notice that 360 versions still usually get the win, or theyll be the same. Rarely do they look better on PS3. thats why I go on these sites, and I get which ever one is better.
3. the Online: Free aint always better. With PSN right now, you dont get all the features live does, and it still has a bunch of kinks that prevent it from being as seemless as Live. To most, itll probaly be good enough. But only a fool would say its better than Live is. atelast not right now. Maybe SONY will fix this when they release there Premium PSN service probaly this year. Plus, I find Live to be like a Living Ecosyestem, PSN not so much.
4. Lack of a Headset budled with the console: this may seem like a weird thing, but It would help out sonys online standing if they would just bundle the mic with every console. thisll get people talking in games, and itll make it a better overall experince. I cant tell you how many times I went on PSN and nobody was talking or trying to coordinate with there squad. it DOES make a differnce.
Now onto 360. Now, maybe some of you will call me a 360 fanboy for stuff I said about the PS3 that I didnt like, but before you start judging, just read on and i Assure you ill rip 360 a new one too.
things I like:
1. The Controller: This controller is probaly the most Comfortable one ive ever had. I really hope they continue to use this design for the next console and one after that. Teh sticks are positioned great, the buttons have a nice resistence to them, and the triggers make it Ideal for shooter.
2. The Multiplatforms: some may bash 360 for the dated tech it has compared ti PS3, but to be able to get the better version of a Multipatlform release alot of times, says something about the way MS designed the console. It techincally has a better GPU, and has a better useage of Ram. maybe this is why. who knows.
3. XBOX Live: Live is still the Benchmark of Console Online Experinces, like it or not. They continue to evolve it, adding stuff like Last FM and facebook, and it dosent have the Hitches taht PSN has. Its very seemless and very easy to get into a game with friends. and those friends more than likely will be talking to you.
4. Headset with every console: Im really a big Proponent of this. Something that SONY should be taking notes on. Bundling a Mic with pretty much any console (except the Arcade I think) was a very smart idea and pretty much Guranteed youll be able to Coordiante with squad mates. But its a double edged sword, it also means taht any jack ass that bought the console can trash talk you and yell racial slurs.
5. The way the console looks: Originally, I liked the way the PS3 looked more, but now that SONY went with the Slim model, I kinda feel that the 360 is the Better looking console Asteticaly. I always liked the concave design and the harddrive attachment on top. Kind of a silly thing, but hey, its my list.
6. XBOX fronting Innovation: Now, this may seem like another weird one, but MS really has been the Forefront of the two in trying to advance your experince with a console. They added Last FM, Facebook, Netflicks ( a full year ahead of PS3), Twiiter, and coming up Project Natal. Some of you may say that Facebook and Twitter are Unecessary, but you fail to realize that this is the first time they were used on a console, and thats saying something.
Now, things I dont like about it.
1, The Hardware build Quality: Shock and awe, I know. But the 360 will probaly go down in game history as one of the biggest Hardware Defect fiascos. More than the PS2, more than any console I think. It had a Reported over 50 percent failure rate for the launch consoles, but to be fair, MS did the right thing and Extended the Warranty to 3 years, and the new Jasper console arent nearly as likely to break as launch ones, but still, it shouldnt have happened in the first place. Espeacilly since the Original XBOX didnt break that much.
2. DVD 9: Now, this may have seemed as a smart Short term plan, but were now seeing with games like FF XIII, Mass Effect 2, and the recent Lost Planet 2 cuts, that DVD 9 could be bitting MS in the ass a bit. Now, you may say oh wow, I gotta get off my ass and change a disc, big fucking woop. well, it is a big fucking woop when it starts affecting quality if the Dev dosent want to put the game on teh needed amount of discs to ensure quality because they dont wanna pay the Royaltys to MS. Plus, some games simply cant work as Multidisc, like GTA and Elderscrolls. Anyway, im sure most games from here on out will probaly still be 1 disc, but you have to wonder if Multiplatform devs will maybe get fed up with it and focus on the PS3 version more.
3. The Overexpensive Add ons for the console: 179 dollars for a 120gb HDD? no thank you sir (even though I did pay it.) MS really has been gouging people good with there Exorbinate price tags on add ons for the syestem, and never really gave a good reason why other than they like money.
4. Supposed Weaker Hardware. Now, this may be true or false, but I find that Graphics on PS3 have more of a WOW factor than Graphics on 360 msot fo the time (this is Exclusives) Mass Effect looks stunning, sure, but I still think Uncharted 2 still looks better. You have to wonder if Graphical improvements will hit a wall one day on 360, and if theyll stop improving game to game. that could be a problem for MS, but as long as theyre selling consoles, I dont think theyll care.
Anyway, thats my list. Call me a XBOT, Call me a Playslave, whatever. Im just telling you what I think. Out of the two, I still think that PS3 has a bit more issues than the 360 does, but both are great.