Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Time splits as A Crack In Time marks the end of the "Future" trilogy in the Ratchet & Clank franchise.

It's Time For Another Ratchet & Clank Game

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Big worlds, colorful action, robot time manipulation.
    Back at E3, I had the chance to sit down with Insomniac's Brian Allgeier and take a look at the company's latest and greatest, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time. This time around, the duo will resolve the current story arc, which has Clank off in some other galaxy with the Zoni while Ratchet, fresh off of his pirate-themed adventures in Quest For Booty, is on his way to make the rescue.

I took a look at two different sections from the game, one Ratchet sequence and one Clank sequence. Ratchet has a set of hover boots that let him quickly traverse the terrain--which seems like it'll come in handy because the levels also sound like they're going to be a lot larger. The arsenal of weapons at Ratchet's disposal continues to be a focus, and you'll be able to freeze enemies with an ice attack, then go on to shatter them. There's also a big-cheeked animal that you'll wield like a gun and use to burp at your targets.

The Clank sequence that I saw puts an emphasis on time manipulation. Specifically, you'll need to figure out a way to put Clank in two, three, or even four places at once. This is accomplished via pads that let you record your actions and play them back. Take, for example, the standard two-button door puzzle. There are two floor buttons that must be depressed for the door to open, and the door closes if the buttons aren't kept down. There are pads on the ground that let you start up a Clank recording, after which you run over to one of the buttons. That recording then plays back while you record a second time, during which you run over to the other button. With both recordings active, you can now run through the open door as soon as the recordings hit both buttons and move on. That's obviously a pretty simple example, but it looks like these will only get trickier as you get deeper and deeper into the game. It also looks really cool.

Speaking of looks, the entire game looks better. Insomniac is self-shadowing the models now, and the game maintains its colorful look while also presenting some great-looking detail, both in the environments and on the models for friends and enemies alike.

I have to admit, after really enjoying the first few installments, I've fallen off of the Ratchet train. The games just started to feel a bit too similar for me to totally enjoy playing one year after year. But after taking a look at A Crack In Time, I think I might have to go back and replay a little Tools of Destruction and maybe even take the plunge on Quest For Booty. With the games forming what appears to be a pretty cohesive arc, I'm feeling like I'll want to go in with full knowledge of the previous games.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    Back at E3, I had the chance to sit down with Insomniac's Brian Allgeier and take a look at the company's latest and greatest, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time. This time around, the duo will resolve the current story arc, which has Clank off in some other galaxy with the Zoni while Ratchet, fresh off of his pirate-themed adventures in Quest For Booty, is on his way to make the rescue.

I took a look at two different sections from the game, one Ratchet sequence and one Clank sequence. Ratchet has a set of hover boots that let him quickly traverse the terrain--which seems like it'll come in handy because the levels also sound like they're going to be a lot larger. The arsenal of weapons at Ratchet's disposal continues to be a focus, and you'll be able to freeze enemies with an ice attack, then go on to shatter them. There's also a big-cheeked animal that you'll wield like a gun and use to burp at your targets.

The Clank sequence that I saw puts an emphasis on time manipulation. Specifically, you'll need to figure out a way to put Clank in two, three, or even four places at once. This is accomplished via pads that let you record your actions and play them back. Take, for example, the standard two-button door puzzle. There are two floor buttons that must be depressed for the door to open, and the door closes if the buttons aren't kept down. There are pads on the ground that let you start up a Clank recording, after which you run over to one of the buttons. That recording then plays back while you record a second time, during which you run over to the other button. With both recordings active, you can now run through the open door as soon as the recordings hit both buttons and move on. That's obviously a pretty simple example, but it looks like these will only get trickier as you get deeper and deeper into the game. It also looks really cool.

Speaking of looks, the entire game looks better. Insomniac is self-shadowing the models now, and the game maintains its colorful look while also presenting some great-looking detail, both in the environments and on the models for friends and enemies alike.

I have to admit, after really enjoying the first few installments, I've fallen off of the Ratchet train. The games just started to feel a bit too similar for me to totally enjoy playing one year after year. But after taking a look at A Crack In Time, I think I might have to go back and replay a little Tools of Destruction and maybe even take the plunge on Quest For Booty. With the games forming what appears to be a pretty cohesive arc, I'm feeling like I'll want to go in with full knowledge of the previous games.
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ht101

I loved the first three Ratchet games but since I don't have a PS3 I haven't played any of the recent ones.  I just hope the sense of humor is there still because that made the games truly awesome.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cc23574

It looks really awesome,  and yeah I agree with the dude above me, the hummor has to be right.

Laughlin_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Laughlin_12

I wish I could play this. The only problem is I still don't have a PS3.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Steve_C
    @Jeff: I was watching a live demo, and i think i remember the dude saying that there might be some sort of story recap or something along those lines, so people who haven't played the last two games can get into this one. You may want to go back anyway to experience it all firsthand, but you shouldn't worry too much if you don't get the time to play the older games.

I never was able to play Quest For Booty, but Tools of Destruction was pretty great so i'm looking forward to this.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By FLStyle

That sounds like a good plan Mr Gerstmann. There's one dude who was revealed in Quest for Booty who was apparently in a R+C before Tools. Hopefully you'll know him because I wasn't aware of his relevance until i did a quick look on the net.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MeierTheRed

Sounds like i need to pick this up at some point in time.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kohe321

I love the Rachet series, and if this is anything like TOD it will be awesome.

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By brocool

Love Ratchet and Clank! so much fun..

Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
    HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Quest for Booty was a fun little adventure but it didn't really do anything storywise that you'd need to be worried about.

thefiretemple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thefiretemple

Tools of Destruction was great, and I haven't gotten around to playing Quest for Booty.  I dunno if I'll want to cough up $60 for this around the time that so many other great games are coming out (I think Assassin's Creed II will be taking my hard-earned cash instead).

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

More Rachet = me goes all happy face 

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By aaox

I would totally play more Ratchet, but I haven't gotten around to buying a PS3 yet.

euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By euge

I've played tools of destruction but only played it for about 2 hours before getting bored.

I've not enjoyed platformers since sonic on my game gear, by the time they became 3d like ratchet and clank I'd completely lost interest in the genre and I'll never get that back. I've always thought that it was simply because of my age and that eventually everyone stops playing those but it seems that I'm wrong. I'm glad that people still get something out of them and that they keep getting reinvented for fututre generations because they're a good introduction to gaming. Ironic probably that my icon has me stood in front of a twenty odd foot Mario, a game that I've never truly enjoyed but it was the only one on display :D.

chobacka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chobacka

Where's my endurance run!?

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By KinjiroSSD

Tools of Destruction was the first ratchet i've played and it was bliss. I might buy quest for booty before this hits store selves.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gizmo

I still have Tools Of Destruction waiting for me to play it on my shelf. I really enjoyed what I played of it so far, but I find it hard to play standard platforming games these days, they just seem so dated, no matter the graphics.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

Oh, I just realized that this was a retail installment. Well, that is cool and I haven't even played the last but from what many have said, it is worth checking out.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Venatio

Ive been playing Ratchet and Clank games since the beginning, I own all the Ratchet games and they are all awesome, cant wait for this one!

And Jeff, I recommend that you should play Tools of Destruction, its a really good game

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By VisariLoyalist

ME LOVE RATCHET AND CLANK (SPECIALY CLANK)

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wuffi

shit im gonna play tod agian that game was sweet

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#22  Edited By jacksukeru

I've played 4 Ratchet games, 1, 3, Tools of destruction and Quest for booty. While the gameplay doesn't change a lot between these games and I told myself by the end of 3 that I've seen all there was to this series, I still really enjoy playing them.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Ket87

That reminds me I'm at the end of Tools of Destruction and should finish. And download Quest for Booty while I'm at it.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Out_On_Bail

What crap is this, they just released Ratchet & Clank last year and already they are releasing another one?!  I'm starting a boycot.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#25  Edited By Lazyaza
    The ps2 games did get a bit samey and its easy to argue ToD didn't change much, was more just a really refined very visually appealing version of what they've done in the past games.  The formula Insomniac uses is just so damn good though that I just haven't been able to stop myself from buying every single one of the rnc games. Their's never really been a continuous story until ToD and Crack in Time but I doubt it will matter much if people play ToD or not before the new game.  If anything I'd say people should play it just because its one of the better exclusives on ps3 still, I've finished it 4 or 5 times now.
    halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By halfameatball

The Ratchet series has grown a little stale for me. I hope Crack in Time will respark my interest in the franchise, but from what I've seen so far it looks too much like ToD for me. That isn't a bad thing, I know a lot of people love ToD and will probably love the new R&C game as well, but I'm not desperate for another Ratchet game right now. They pump them out so fast, I wish Insomniac would take more time in between games.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @halfameatball said:
    " The Ratchet series has grown a little stale for me. I hope Crack in Time will respark my interest in the franchise, but from what I've seen so far it looks too much like ToD for me. That isn't a bad thing, I know a lot of people love ToD and will probably love the new R&C game as well, but I'm not desperate for another Ratchet game right now. They pump them out so fast, I wish Insomniac would take more time in between games. "
    It will have been 2 years since the last full Ratchet and Clank game. That's too soon?
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By get2sammyb

I can't wait for this. I'm a big fan of the franchise.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By Aaron_G

I really need to get a PS3. The Ratchet and Clank games were my favorite on my PS2. 

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KillaMaStA

Awesome, i cant wait!

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#31  Edited By sjschmidt93

All I've played is ToD and Q4B, so I plan to go back and play the 4 on the PS2 before aCiT comes out, any ideas where to start? I think I'll just begin with the first one and then continue from there.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Media_Master

that pic looks nice!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.