Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Rumour: Capcom to annouce RE7 for PS4 this E3

• 54 results
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There have been rumors floating around about the upcoming announcement of Resident Evil 7 at E3, and some voices even alleged that it would be a Xbox One exclusive. The latter won’t be the case according to an article on the website of the prominent Japanese Economic newspaper Sankei Shimbun.

The article mentions that for what PS4 games are concerned, Capcom plans to reveal an important game at E3, and that is expected to be Resident Evil 7. It also specifies that the sales expectations for the game are to sell over 5.6 million copies like its predecessor.

While only a PS4 version is named, the wording of the article does not suggest exclusivity. Considering that it’s a Japanese source, it’s most probable that the game will be multiplatform. It’s normal for Japanese articles to mention only PlayStation versions of titles they mention, especially on mainstream media.

Of course this should be considered a rumor until Capcom makes an official announcement. We’ll have to stand by and wait for June to see if the Sankei Shimbun is right about it.

Source

Rough google translate.

"The game world's largest trade fair to be held in June in the United States in the "E3", you are planning the announcement of the epic game even for PS4. It is seen as a new work of the Resident Evil series, attention of fans is growing. Latest "6" has sold 5.6 million more than in the world Resident Evil, comparable sales are expected to "7" also will be released"

We have had many rumours of what Capcom will announce at E3. It could either be a Dino Crisis reboot. The announcement of Ultra street fighter 4 to current gen or a Resident Evil announcement. This is all well and dandy but if there is only one title/remake i want from Capcom it is

Onimusha.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Why would they want to continue this trainwreck?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This trainwreck sold more than 5 million copies even though the last one was garbage. Imagine if they made a good game.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those sales numbers of the last one might give you an idea.

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't understand the lack of Dino Crisis.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Didn't you post an article about this being an XB1 exclusive a couple of months ago?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I can't wait to play another dumb, explosion filled Resident Evil game that I sort of enjoy in spite of it being terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@mikey87144 said:

Didn't you post an article about this being an XB1 exclusive a couple of months ago?

That wasn't jimmyfenix, though yeah, the rumours related to RE7 are firing fast and loose it seems... next thing y'know there'll be a rumour going around about RE7 being exclusive to Wii-U and is actually a kart racer.

...Which maybe wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@yummylee said:

@mikey87144 said:

That wasn't jimmyfenix, though yeah, the rumours related to RE7 are firing fast and loose it seems... next thing y'know there'll be a rumour going around about RE7 being exclusive to Wii-U and is actually a kart racer.

Fucking blue zombies!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By glots

@pyrodactyl: @glottery Didn't they lose a shitload of money on it though?

Not sure, haven't looked much further into it. I was going to say that at least Operation Raccoon City bombed big time, but seemingly it sold over 2 million copies, for some reason...

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to play another dumb, explosion filled Resident Evil game that I sort of enjoy in spite of it being terrible.

Summed it up perfectly for me.
    If they just so happen to make another good RE game that will be great, but if it hits the levels of 'really dumb, though kind of fun' levels 6 had I wont mind. I know a lot of people hated 6 and I wont say they are wrong for doing so but somehow I still enjoy playing it.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Ok so they want to sell around 6 mill and its supposed to be released only on the current gen? Something does not add up here

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If not for ME3, RE6 probably would've been my GOTY when it came out. BRING IT ON.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@mikey87144 said:

Then we can have the return of the Capcom Five

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like Capcom needs to start trimming budgets.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Call me when they mention Dragon's Dogma 2. I was kind of hoping it would become a major flagship.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

GHOST TRICK 2

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: hmm i think it is too soon for that game to come after what was RE 6, maybe they learn some stuff from RE revelation, the hd version sold a good number, i think if they made a good game then it could sell 7 mill copies

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hmmmmm, You know, I'd still bet my money on Xbone exclusive but Capcom loves to port everything since the SNES days. But yeah, Microsoft has really been using their money and no one talked about Below's Exclusivity after PAX East phenomenal performance. I mean RE is still a major name brand, so it's a no brainer that's the big E3 presnation..... at this point I'd rather see Monster Hunter Frontier on next gen.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By agentboolen

@jimmyfenix: Ehhh to Resident Evil in general. I gotta say I loved Resident Evil 4 (still play it from time to time), thought 5 was good and hated 6. I have a copy of Revolations that I have been meaning to put in but haven't gotten around to it. This series for me story wise is really dragging. I'm not that interested in 7, with how bad 6 was. I'm sure they'll do things different this time around, but this story just seems to drag from game to game. This series is one of the main reasons I get excited when a big developer announces new IPs. Holding on to the wretched, dead carcase of a horse that this game series has become is not my idea of exciting gamers..... And don't even get me started with Ultra SF4, every upgrade they have made from 4 has shrunk there online fan base.

For Resident Evil at this point I tend to wait for the price to go down, I don't think there was anything wrong with the gameplay from 4 and 5. And that gameplay has been the only thing holding me mildly interested. But at this point I think they need to get rid of the story that never ends.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Because the other option is more Dino Crisis?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By monkeyking1969

"The flagship title Resident Evil 6 (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion," ~ Capcom

So, it sold but not nearly as well as they wanted, the early talk from them was RE 6 would be a 7 million unit sales game, it sold 4.8 or maybe a bit higher if you count up to today. What that tells me is Capcom thinks they they need to 'tinker more'...and when developers tinker that seems to goes poorly for gamers lately.

I haven't like most RE games in years. I think 4 was good mechanically, but a really shitty flip to the story that has brought us down the road to RE6. I think they need to reboot & simplify - zombies, jump scares, hunted houses with labs under them.

And, I hope to GOD they don't try multiplayer mode bullshit...they cannot do it, they don't know how, and they will fail. Just made a nice single player game, maybe try some co-op, but K.I.S.S.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By csl316

Dino Crisis 2-2

Gimme.

Or hell, another Lost Planet in the vein of the first would be nice.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By agentboolen

@csl316: why would you want those sub par sequels and not just ask Capcom to try to excite us with something new. Sequels are the death of the video game industry. Capcom being something new!! Deadrising was the best thing to come from them last generation. Think new not old.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yummylee

@vincentvendetta said:

Because the other option is more Dino Crisis?

You say that like it's a bad thing. Yes, Dino Crisis 3 was supposed to be utter shit (haven't played it myself), but Dino Crisis 2 however is still a great game to this day. Plus people have clearly been clamouring for a new big-budget dinosaur game for ages now, so a Dino Crisis reboot would undoubtedly bring about a fair bit of cheer.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Claire No Care

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Wasn't it a few weeks ago that RE7 was an exclusive for the XBO? Pretty sure there was a thread about this...

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't it a few weeks ago that RE7 was an exclusive for the XBO? Pretty sure there was a thread about this...

There was a thread about that like a month ago. A bunch of rumors have been thrown around lately so I would just wait until E3 to find out what's really going on. It's most likely going to be multiplatform for PS4 or Xbone but we'll see.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@csl316: why would you want those sub par sequels and not just ask Capcom to try to excite us with something new. Sequels are the death of the video game industry. Capcom being something new!! Deadrising was the best thing to come from them last generation. Think new not old.

Because this article talks about a new Resident Evil, and if they're going to an existing franchise I would like one of those, instead. And sequels aren't the death of the industry, as they allow you to refine an idea. Streets of Rage 2, Crash Bandicoot 2, Tony Hawk 3, and several other sequels are on my top 25 list.

Plus they're an old company, and half of my interest in them is due to nostalgia. New spins on established franchises can work, with 2 or 3 new IP's for a new generation (like Dead Rising and Lost Planet were last time around). Though a one-and-done like Asura's Wrath is also nice to see.

If I want something new, I'll Google "new indie games" and get dozens of results for the next couple months alone. There's no shortage of creative new ideas in the game industry these days.

A mix of the old guard and new things is what keeps me gaming. Dino Crisis 2 fucking ruled and more of that would also keep me gaming.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't like to post just to be a negative Nancy, but...ehh. I've played many other RE's, and I just don't think I care anymore.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrfluke

interesting, and just a while ago, the rumor was flipped in that this was gonna be coming to xbox one.

makes sense though that re7 is next, capcom needs to keep the money flowing more than ever right now, a next gen resident evil would be the thing for them to start back raking in money.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By agentboolen

@csl316: ok good point. For the sequel thing I more think it's a bad thing when it's in the numbers resident evil has gotten to.

And I guess if they really put some money into dino crisis they can do something amazing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yummylee

@donchipotle said:

No Claire No Care

I wouldn't be opposed to more Alyson Court, but I'd much rather they keep their incompetent mitts off of the classic characters U_U Both RE5 & 6 have proven they seemingly have no clue as to how really get the most out of 'em. Not like they're especially complicated or anything to begin with of course, but still... it's the little things like how at the end of RE5 you have Chris & Sheva being the two to pull the RPG trigger against Wesker, rather than Chris & Jill. Or the fact that they didn't bring in Rebecca and Barry to join in the glory, either.

Reboot all the way I say.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given how poorly it was received though, I wonder how well a new Resident Evil would do. Or maybe there are 5 million die hard RE fans so it probably won't matter?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Resident Evil 7 coming exclusively to Game.com

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#37  Edited By StarvingGamer

RE6 was great with a mouse and keyboard. Hopefully RE7 will be good with a controller again.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Pepsiman

That's a Dualshockers article you got that quote from, right? I've read the original Sankei piece and the corresponding Dualshockers article is lacking some serious context in terms of what the overall article is actually discussing, which is not exactly a potential Resident Evil 7 per se. It's mentioned as a possibility for E3 towards the end, yes, but not in the "we heard a guy who said it was gonna be so" sense so much as "we wouldn't be surprised if it was there." The actual article itself is actually a pretty interesting read that discusses the state of Capcom and how a new Resident Evil is potentially going to be their way of getting out of a recent rut of losses with mobile and other non-Monster Hunter ventures. I'm going to translate the last two sections of the piece since they're most pertinent and because I'm really pissed that an outlet like Dualshockers didn't bother to use anything else other than Google. HERE WE GO:

What made Capcom go with the Xbox One over the PS4 for a big retail game?

Capcom's problems aren't limited to its prospects with smartphone games, however. They were also late to start developing a major game for the PlayStation 4, which has been a huge hit so far in Western countries and has a lot of passionate gamers supporting it.

As of this writing, the only thing Capcom has on the table for the PS4 is a downloadable title, Deep Down, with nothing bigger in the pipeline that could satiate fan expectations. What's more, Deep Down, which doesn't have a set release date, is also only going to be a free-to-play game.

Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimoto asserted that "Free to play games are the norm for smartphones, but there are instances where they've also succeeded on consoles, so we see it as a challenge worth taking." The company has faith that it'll put out a reputable game, but its monetization scheme could ultimately make or break it in the eyes of its fans.

Meanwhile, on the Xbox One, the PS4's rival console made by Microsoft, Capcom has already put out a million-selling hit, but that console won't be coming to Japan until September. This has left Japanese gamers feeling left out in the cold while they're left waiting for a big new console game to play of their own. On top of that, sales of the Xbox One hardware are trailing behind that of the PS4, putting Capcom in a bind; even if it made a tactical error in focusing on developing for the Xbox One, they're too fargone to take it back at this stage.

Could Capcom be planning something for E3 in June?

With Capcom late to the smartphone game development scene and dissatisfaction surrounding its current PS4 output, one could argue that the developer has seen better days. Nevertheless, plans are being put into action to turn the situation around.

On the smartphone front, for instance, Capcom up until now developed them at both its main headquarters in Osaka as well as its branch office in Tokyo. But from this April onwards, those efforts will be consolidated as part of the company's online PC game development team in Tokyo. With monetization of online PC games greatly resembling those of smartphone games, Capcom hopes that the move will yield a lot of synergized efforts going forward.

And then there's the matter of E3. Set for June, the publisher plans to show off a major game of some sort for the PS4. Fans are getting increasingly hyped up for the event, as they take it to mean that a new Resident Evil game is on the horizon. Resident Evil 6, the last game in the series, sold over 5.6 million units and it's expected that a potential 7 would sell equally as well if such a thing were to come out.

For the time being, Capcom has Monster Hunter 4G set to arrive in stores this fall as a revamped version of Monster Hunter 4, but an analyst familiar with the game industry expressed restraint about its potential success, stating "I feel confident in saying that Monster Hunter is going to prove to be less and less of a golden egg compared to its highs for the 2007-2008 fiscal year [This is when the portable iterations of Monster Hunter 2 were running amok on Japanese sales charts]. Obviously they need to make a splash on smartphones, but they also need something else that's big as a traditional game or else Capcom could find itself left behind by speedier Western game developers." To say the least, Capcom is definitely at a crossroads at this stage.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yummylee

@pepsiman: That's... yeah, not all that surprising to hear. I have little experience with this dualshockers site, but Resident Evil is definitely a brand name that's going to get alotta clicks. So, to see that they took the loosest possible connection to assume that an RE7 is probably going to show up at E3 doesn't surprise me.

Cheers for the translation also, btw.

EDIT: That said, an RE7 is almost assuredly in development. Whether it'll actually get officially announced at E3, however, is the question.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE6 was great! I'm excited!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

E3

PS4

3+4=7

RE7

Also, HL3

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sweet. RE6 was a great game. Bring on seven.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone will be in mechs this time. It'll be true survival horror.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

re5 is the best, if it's like that then i'll buy it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#45  Edited By Icemael

Neat. Their comments on RE6's reception indicate the next game will be entirely in the style of Leon's campaign, which I loved. If they keep those aesthetics and that pacing, refine and add to that great combat system and make more interesting enemies, RE7 could very well be a masterpiece.

Also totally hoping for the reveal of Dragon's Dogma 2 and/or an internally developed Lost Planet 4.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That isn't surprising at all. Hopefully they learned a lot from RE6 and can make Resident Evil great again.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Probably not exclusive then since selling 5.6 million copies seems a tad optimistic when there are only 7 million PS4 owners.

wolfskind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please let that be the next Dino Crisis.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By ptys

I think Resident Evil is on the brink of... what 5.6mil!!! I'm shocked as I consider myself an ex-diehard fan and 6 was the nail that sealed my coffin. I actually hope RE goes back to being an exclusive, that way it won't be blown out of proportion. But in saying that an exclusive to Capcpm is more like a six month pre-release for one platform.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ptys: 2 words, Capcom Five. and it doesnt make any sense to have it be an exclusive for the Xbox One because the Xbox has never been popular in japan, with the possible exception of when FF13 was going to be an exclusive way back when.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.