Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rocket League

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 07, 2015

The sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, Rocket League is the second vehicular sports-action game developed by Psyonix.

The best game ever made is coming to Playstation Plus

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#251  Edited By Fredchuckdave

So even though Chaos is nonsense it can be fun sometimes too, the ball just goes everywhere at all times:

Loading Video...

@ 1:50 in the video, 3:17 on the gameclock, that feeling when you realize everyone else in the game is on ball cam except you (always).

@planetfunksquad: That's just the PC master race (DoTA Mouthbreathing) experience.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just had my first experience of someone being a dick with the in game chat. Our team was winning and this dude just kept typing "cancer muslim" "fucking n****r" over and over again. Is there anyway to kick a person from matches or report them or something?

Yeah that's not cool. Just go to your players met and report them to Sony. Also block them so you don't play with them again.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Its always cool when you drop into a game with two random team mates that use the team chat options. For calling defense, centering, taking shots, etc. Me and these two dudes ran the table last night. I think we played 12 or so games together. 8 of which were all on same the team as everyone kept hitting the rematch button at the end. This game can be really good when you have a good team. But who am I kidding, this game is fun even when you are losing by 10 goals.

As for the chat I haven't ran into anything like that yet thankfully. Everyone I've ran into has been pretty cool about not being a dick and just using the predefined D-pad chats. Or just typing things like gg or later, or thanks for the fun, stupid ai overlords and stuff like that.

And I really don't get the guys that drop out of a match as soon as their first goal is scored against them in the first minute. I've seen this happen many many times. And it really confuses me. You get nothing for leaving a match, as in unlocks. You still have time to come back and win if that is what is most important to you. And you just fuck up the game for everyone else as it adds a bot to the game. Don't be a douche a leave a match, don't be a sore loser. Especially if you still have time to win.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Every time I've tried to play the servers have been down. Is it still broken sometimes, or is it something on my end?

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By MalibuProfen

@sterling: This of course doesn't count for all of the dropouts, but I've had the game crash on me four times mid match and there's no system in place for a rejoin currently. This is problematic especially for the ranked matches; I had to play a game 1v3 yesterday getting stomped 3-9, and a couple of other matches were 2v3. Now, my own crash related dropouts are few and far in between taken into account that I've played 17 hours, but they can add up in addition to the--nearly as rare--rage quits.

Otherwise, I'll just continue to sing the praises for this game. Truly an awesome sports game. Scoring, assisting and saving (potential) goals is thrilling and so satisfying, while the calmer yet chaotic moments (usually in the corners) are full of suspense and anticipation. The game has great flow even in low-skilled matches, where I personally probably reside, and pulling off attempted cool moves or shots is..uh..cool when successful.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malibuprofen:Yeah I get some people have connection drops. You can always tell those, as they don't happen the second after a goal is scored. They usually happen during regular play. And I've had people drop out and come back. But I assume that is from pure luck of no one else searching at that exact time.

@bwheeeler: I'm not sure if certain regions are having issues, or if its certain times of the day they have issues, or do work. But I don't have any problems connecting to the USWest servers at night. I always see a lot of people online. But there still seems to be many people saying they are having connection issues.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sterling: Well the bot being added to the game undoubtedly improves the chances of the losing team winning, seems like a good balancing move. Also it's just hilarious conceptually.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Which is why I now spend most of my time in matches playing the bots on the other team, shadowing them. Making sure they can't get a touch of the ball. We can't let them take over. We must stop them.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Is the bot thing on the PS4 version as well? What kinds of names do they have? Asking cause I'm not sure if I've encountered a bot yet.

Also, I'm new to this game and completely in love. What a freaking great game.

edit: nvm, I see who the bots are now

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Good to know how to report people, thanks. I'm glad I haven't had that yet, the most custom sentence I've seen was a 'My body is ready' reference from someone on the opposing team after we scored and we were about to kick off again, which I thought was pretty funny.

Completely unrelated: I saw one of the trophies is for driving 500km. I've put in quite a few hours and my counter is somewhere between 20 and 30 according to my wheels. How the hell did people platinum this within the first few days?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsw: I don't know if it's just me and it's a glitch, but the stat tracking stuff on my car doesn't record online games, so you've probably driven further than you think.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsw said:

@n7: Good to know how to report people, thanks. I'm glad I haven't had that yet, the most custom sentence I've seen was a 'My body is ready' reference from someone on the opposing team after we scored and we were about to kick off again, which I thought was pretty funny.

Completely unrelated: I saw one of the trophies is for driving 500km. I've put in quite a few hours and my counter is somewhere between 20 and 30 according to my wheels. How the hell did people platinum this within the first few days?

That only counts singleplayer stats, apparently. So you probably have much more than that already.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@austin_walker

For all you CLEARLY INSANE people that don't think Rocket League is the best thing ever to exist anywhere ever, here's some conclusive evidence:

Loading Video...

I think the best part aside from our savior's 250 ping is that the angle was impossible if the orange van wasn't there.

We went up 4-1 in the next game and then a guy left and a bot destroyed our souls.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: So that's why your avatar keeps changing, you're Sarah Connor!

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I got into a team at the last minute for the first ESL Rocket League 3v3 in NA and we finished in 17th out of 178 teams. Holy shit this game is fun.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@turboman: Here's a multitwitch of the best team. Ban testers? These guys must have like 400-500 hours at least. They won the last game 18-2. This is a total scrub by comparison:

Loading Video...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#268  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@fredchuckdave: Dear...god...the flying. I still need a lot of work on my accuracy just with jumping.

Having a ton of fun with this, but it'll be nice when people have gotten some more time with this game so that there are fewer people online that are just constantly chasing after the ball and will take any chance to hit the ball even if it's towards their own goal. I still manage to have fun playing with those types, but when you find people that will actually play smart and defend, this great game is so much better.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@chaser324: I think the more people you play with the less of an impact the ball chasers are, but if you just find a buddy to play with I'm sure doubles is fine; I've certainly had some fun with it. Cool to see that standard has a super good dynamic at a 10,000+ hour level or whatever these time magicians have invested in the game.

Edit: Here we are: "Nightbot: Kronovi has been playing SARPBC for about 6 years prior to the release of Rocket League and is an active member of the community. He has previously been named the number 1 player according to Psyonix themselves."

I think I'm okay at getting "easy" aerial hits now but nothing like ride on the wall then fly off it and somehow hit an accurate shot from 75% off the ground or whatever (though I did actually hit a ball near the ceiling earlier to the great fanfare of not accomplishing anything). Also going for aerial hits a lot just makes me play worse so I'll probably tone it down and return to my camera switching ways.

I've changed my mind about Rocket League though, it's officially worse than hitler:

Loading Video...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really is addicting. Downloaded it on PS4 for free thinking... oh looks like a fun little thing I'll just play for one game and then go about my day. 5 hours later... "Just one more game and I'll stop!"

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Man I could just watch this guy play against the Unfair AI all day, holy fuck.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Friend and I wrecked it yesterday 2v2. Went undefeated for the 8 games we played. Communication is huge in consistent wins.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: @planetfunksquad: Aha, it would make more sense if it's just single player. I did notice it wasn't tracking some other stuff, now I know why. Thanks!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got the crack plat tonight. Now I feel sick. Time for rehab.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sterling: Who needs rehab when you could be doing this?

Loading Video...

Also I still don't have a billiards goal, had a few that were close and/or weren't rewarded but nada; damn you billiards!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is the greatest.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fredchuckdave: Damn son! Which one is Bowling? I have a Break-Shot goal and don't even remember it lol

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: Break shot I meant, Bowling, Billiards, Pool, same thing. But yeah it's not something you can control so kind of annoying that it has eluded me to this point; I feel like I have to play dumber to have a better chance of getting it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I got it in seasons game when servers where down. Pretty easy with nothing but offline ai.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By N7

I hate how I'm pretty good but everyone else is so much better than me.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU @fredchuckdave

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I'm so bad at this game. But I love it so much.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@n7: Eh I'm good at producing highlight videos and I randomly become excellent in the last 15 seconds of close games but other than that my stats aren't very good aside from wins (which is the only thing I care about). Plenty of whiffed balls and so on. Granted I just play midfielder all day and the most you can do with that usually is get ball clears and set ups.

Ostensibly doing the all star aerial training helps, though I haven't tried yet; I know the best player in the world doesn't typically get 10/10 on it so that seems rather daunting.

Here's a big thing about people getting better, I'm not there yet, but shots "off the backboard" as it were are supposed to be pretty easy aerial setups, just no one is ever in the right position to deal with them.

Of course even if I was good I'd still be five centuries behind Kronovi et al.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By Sterling

Here is a video of AI IMP scoring 8 goals on a team in under 2 minutes. This is a game I played the first day the servers were working. So excuse my chump playing. I have more vids to upload, but for some reason my PS4 will no longer long into my youtube account. I need to correct that.

Loading Video...

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the game. It's a lot of fun even to lose.

One beef though is that the AI's don't scale to other players ability. If you are in a game with newbies, then the team with more AIs on their side is likely to win just because the AIs have perfect aim. The AIs need to know how to miss the goal wide from midfield and further if that's the skill level the humans are displaying.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@n7: Well I went through the All Star Aerial Training and made a playlist (the thumbnails are incredible), I don't think it's very informative to watch a godlike player do it so hopefully a mere mortal attempting these is more clear:

Loading Video...

Here's a highlight so I can pretend I'm amazing:

Loading Video...

I seem to have gotten over ball cam-itis and have reverted to being semi competent switching between on and off.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that save at 3m12s! Although Imp put it back in anyway. But still a great save.

@sterling said:

Here is a video of AI IMP scoring 8 goals on a team in under 2 minutes. This is a game I played the first day the servers were working. So excuse my chump playing. I have more vids to upload, but for some reason my PS4 will no longer long into my youtube account. I need to correct that.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sterling: Reports of our demise at the hands of the bots have been greatly exaggerated:

Loading Video...

This is the part where we win the war after having lost thousands upon thousands of battles with a single great victory! Makes perfect sense to me.

@flippyandnod: Here's a pretty good save I had earlier:

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My god, this thread just keeps going. Hilariously so, never expected it.

I have this game and still haven't played it!!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: That's almost as bad as not playing Vagrant Story!

One of the immortals is on if people want to see some actually insane stuff: twitch.tv/gibbs0o0

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By Sterling

So fuck youtube. Switching to dailymotion.

Here is one of my favorite highlights. I started playing around in the game before this with barely jumping over the ball to settle it and give it just a slight touch of a roll forward. I did it a few times and was trying to figure out how to use it to my advantage, if there was any. Also this guy on the other team was a really damn good goalie and was blocking damn near all shots on goal. So this is what I came up with on the fly. By mistake. And I think its pretty great. I've done this a few times since too. More times than not it fails, unless I have a teammate that knows what I'm doing.

It brought him just far enough out off his line that he couldn't get to the ball, and I'm not sure he saw the other guy behind me.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: There are no more video games. Just Rocket League. Its now an e-sports title for fucks sake. Dota2 aint got nothing on Rocket League! ESPORTS!

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've noticed over time that your teammates are the biggest threat against you. The amount of own goals I've seen is insane. Very avoidable ones at that.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to drop in and add that I would never, ever have purchased this game. Nothing about it particularly appeals to my normal interests. But after playing a match for free thanks to PS+, I'm totally hooked!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sterling: Well you could just run into him. This is the best form of rehab I've found:

Loading Video...

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've decided my most effective defense against the AI is just to ram them.

If they are headed to the ball anywhere near the goal, just play the man (car) not the ball and ram them so they can't take that shot. Because you know if they take that shot they'll make it. Unless you are blessed with a teammate that plays defense (I never am).

With people I usually play the ball, but with AI I usually play the man.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#296  Edited By Bollard
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#297  Edited By Castiel

Hmm I guess I'm not as excited about this game as the rest of you. If I play it for more than 20 minutes, or about that, at a time I tend to find it a little repetitive. It's really fun but so far there doesn't really seem to be much depth to it. Im going to keep playing from time to time but I'm not completely hooked on it yet.

For me it seems to be one of those games that you can only play in small chunks or else it might start to get real boring and repetitive.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ For me this is in the same ballpark as real life team sports activities such as basketball or floorball which I'd gladly play for hours upon hours if the human physique could simply handle it in terms of stamina, joint pain, dehydration and muscle strains. Alas this is the reality which we live in so this (sports) game is able to capture many of the same feelings of euphoria those sports generate even if the physical activity itself is merely pressing buttons on a controller thus there isn't the type of dopamine release as a result from running. Conversely more time can be invested/wasted.

I've now 25 hours on Steam with this in four days and I think I'm getting pretty good at the game. Mistakes seem to happen a lot less frequently and when they do I'm actually slightly frustrated with myself; not able to just laugh everything off like in the beginning.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: I like the music, maybe not the vocals but it's not like the music plays in game so this is the only way to hear it; also it doesn't murder my PS4 apparently, I must have watched this video like 30 times already.

Gibbs0o0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: That's almost as bad as not playing Vagrant Story!

One of the immortals is on if people want to see some actually insane stuff: twitch.tv/gibbs0o0

Thanks for the shout out. I don;t visit these forums much but I'm a huge Giantbomb fan! If you guys have any questions feel free to ask!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.