Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sea of Thieves

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2018

Set in an era of classic piracy, Sea of Thieves is a first-person open-world game where players form a crew of pirates and sail off to find treasure. As it is a "shared world" game, pirate crews can encounter other crews and engage in epic maritime skirmishes.

Anyone playing Closed Beta this week?

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Add me if you're playing Jan 24th-29th. My gamertag is ShaggyDuderino. I'll be around at night EST time zone. Downloading the client right now. Lets get weird!

Gaminggumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've got it finally up. Add me Gaminggumper in Xbox list.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gonna try. Still not showing up for download yet here.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

As someone who has been playing off and on in the alpha since last summer.... this game has always felt like it should be free-to-play. Playing a few hours of the beta today confirmed that suspicion for me. The online co-op design makes it feel like you should be playing with friends, good luck convincing 3 of your friends to pay $60 for SOT, it just lacks depth and content. I Feel like it would get old after 6 hours judging by the size of the map, and the quests I've completed.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyline7284: it does look like it lacks content at launch but thankfully me and a couple of my friends already have gamepass so we'll get to check on it from time to time without having to drop $60. There is something there though, the few times I've tried the alpha it's been a blast

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing it for a couple of hours, I've lost all interest in Sea of Thieves. I know this version is very incomplete, but even with the major lack of content and activities - there just isn't enough depth in any of its systems to keep me interested. It really does feel like a free-to-play game. It's a shame, because I really like the premise and art style.

DrStrangeGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking for some people to play with too. I tried a little bit of solo after work, and it didn't go well. My GT is DrStrang3Glove. I'll be online around 5pm CST if anyone is interested in starting a crew. Feel free to send me a friend request or message me on here. Thanks!

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still all about this game, just haven't had time to play, but should be around for a couple hours the next few nights. I'll be on tonight probably around 9-10PM EST. I added you guys to friends, I'll try to invite if I see you guys around.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

@mems1224: Yeah gamepass seems like the way to enjoy this game, especially since it works on both Xbox one and PC.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shaggydude

Good shit tonight! Crewed a 2-man sloop with DrStrang3Glove and we ended up teaming up with 2 gentlemen who were once our enemies on a 4 man ship. I lucked out and boarded a ship while I was diving a shipwreck. Also, Strange got scared of a shark in the dark! Full stream is on twitch here

eoinoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eoinoc

Really looking forward to playing this as a wind down after a session of PUBG. My current schedule of playing PUBG then going to bed is not ideal.

The fact it will be on Game Pass means at least I can try it for a month for $10 is nice.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man, all these reports of lack of content is a bummer. I haven't been involved in the beta so I haven't played it myself yet, but I have been looking forward to this. The concept and premise seems so cool so I had some marginal hope for it. Perhaps all that will turn around in time. Though probably not by the release date I suppose.

Can't imagine I'll be paying full price for it. Maybe it'll go on sale later on or they actually go to FoP model one day.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eoinoc: I think you have 14 days of game pass for free, so you can pretend Sea of Thieves is free to play.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Enjoyed every bit of this today.

eoinoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eoinoc

I wonder could you be like modern day pirates and 4 of you hop on smaller fast boat and speed up behind bigger ship board it and steal everything and speed off again

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

Played some at a friend's house. I thought it was pretty average still. The PVP experience was terrible. We killed everyone on a ship and boarded it, and as we quickly went to steal their treasure chests, they respawned right next to us and killed us. I mean...what? In another encounter we killed everyone on a ship and sunk it, , they all spawned right next to our ship and climbed on board. Not a very good experience. These were problems a year ago in the Closed Alpha and yet here we are. The rest of the game feels super early and rough, much earlier than it should. Right now it feels like a bad F2P game, one that I probably wouldn't even waste bandwidth on. I could go on and on but this is already more effort than I ever want to put into thinking about this game again.

Sea of Thieves has a long way to go if Rare wants the game to do anything but immediately sink to the bottom of the ocean right after launch. For a game that is supposed to come out in 2 months, if you told me it was a year away I would still worry that wouldn't be enough time.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 60 is a bit steep for what is there, but "bad f2p" is pretty harsh, man. And I don't think you can judge the game yet based on whats in this beta test. I suspect there is much more content in the game. I like the way the game looks, I think the mechanics are solid, even the shooting feels fine and I'm surprised to say that since I've been playing PUBG lately. I think this is about the best game at the moment about sailing around being a pirate on a big wooden ship and it runs perfectly well on my 6 year old computer. There is a lot of fun to be had as long as your crew is communicating. I've been playing mostly with randoms this weekend and all but 1 have used their mics.

If you're rolling as a 2 man team you have to be very careful how you take on a larger 4 man boat. I think they are doing some next level shit here where they surface information selectively and obfuscate stuff. For example, how many ships are even in the same game world at the same time? Well we don't know, so it makes everyone behave differently. Also I appreciate that they only show peoples names above their heads when they are closeby. It lets you do some cool stealth shit as an adversary and combined with no map button you can hit at any time means you have to stay close to your team you cant just wander off and expect anyone to know where you went. I also appreciate that you can do wild shit like using a smaller ship with a 4 man crew, or steal another crews ship and man it with half your team to make a fleet. Yesterday, we used our anchor poorly and got rammed by a small ship. Check it out here.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shaggydude

I do agree with you about the way the respawn works right now though! If you board a ship you have to be quick about looting it, and I think it would be nice if whoever weighs the anchor of the ship- it would make it his squads ship! I want to be able to sneak aboard and just completely steal someone elses ship while they are running around on an island and deny them the respawn.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike

And I don't think you can judge the game yet based on whats in this beta test. I suspect there is much more content in the game.

Maybe, but how many times have we seen that kind of comment about a Beta only for the final game to be almost exactly like the beta was? Especially in a case like this where full release is only 2 months away, and Rare has been having public tests for over a year now, and a lot of the criticisms I have about the game have been there the entire time. Things that tons of people complained about on the closed forums for the earliest tests are still there a year later, and here we are just around the corner from launch. "Extra content" aside, this game is not even close to being ready for release.

I'm sure there will be more content, but the part I did play felt about as average as it gets.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.