Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Let’s Play Persona 3 FES – Update Blog 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I’ve been playing through Persona 3 FES on Youtube for the last couple of months now in a Let’s Play format, not too different to Giant Bomb’s Endurance Run of the fourth game in the series. A little while back I put up a blog on Giant Bomb regarding my thoughts of the game in relation to Persona 4 at the 25 hour point, and my opinions on what should happen with the franchise in future instalments from what I’d observed.

You can see the original blog here.

And my videos here

Part one of what will probably become (and already is) many, many videos... :/ 

I’m now 40 hours into the game, mid-way through August, and feel like it’d be a cool idea to at least post an update every now and then as I progress through the game, just to put my thoughts into words and so I have something to look back on once I finish all of this up, whenever that may be. Again, I don’t think I’ll be posting these with too much structure – I just want to jot down a few points on anything that I may have missed in my previous blog or any thoughts that may have changed in the fifteen hours since then.

I started my previous blog off focussing on the story of Persona 3, and I’m glad to say that I’ve finally reached the point where the story is picking up a bit. New parties are being introduced, although every time one question is solved another one seems to sprout up in its place to keep you thinking. It’s all very interesting, but there’s still one problem – the delivery. Since the Persona games see you going through a year of high school a lot of plot points are drawn out over a month or so in game time, so it can feel frustrating when some of the characters are fixating on one particular thing in the storyline for weeks on end without actually doing anything to answer your questions about it. Persona 4 did well to fix this problem by eliminating the last couple of months of your school year after December and squeezing a lot more narrative into the remaining months. I’m hoping that Persona 5 does something similar or at least throws in a red herring or something when shit slows down.

My thoughts on the combat may have changed a bit now, but I think a lot of that may stem from particular party characters whose AI probably wasn’t done quite as well as everyone else’s. I fully understand now when people complain about Mitsuru’s obsession with casting Marin Karin – occasionally it’ll work to charm an enemy and shut me up, but even in those situations it’s barely ever as useful as Mabufu or Bufula. While I’m fairly certain that Persona 5 won’t go back to using team tactics alone, some better AI in some situations would have made it a lot more appealing as an option I think.

The analysis system is still something I like better than Persona 4’s system; the only way I think it would be improved would be to use the Persona 4 system for Tartarus boss fights at least, filling in each of the elements on the weakness chart gradually so that your team mates knew to stop using a certain spell type after it didn’t do well the first time. Akihiko using Mazio against a trio of Hulk Hogans when it was only doing 10 points of damage each time to their 400 hit point life bar was a little annoying.

I’m up to the eighty-something-eth floor of Tartarus right now, and while the design may feel a bit tiring at some points I think I’ll have to wait a while before I see to what extent it affects me. It lacks a lot of the personal flavour that the P4 dungeons had, for sure, but I wouldn’t say I’m sick of it entirely… yet. The slight changes in music from block to block are fine with me right now too. Will wait and see how my thoughts on all of this change I suppose. :P

I talked about how I liked the fatigue system last time for drawing out your month’s grinding a bit more over the month, but another reason I’m starting to enjoy it in Persona 3 is the fact that it encourages you to start grinding with your entire party instead of just picking three dudes to plow through the entire game with. Some of the boss encounters even force you to bring a certain character or two into battle with you so you’ll need to come prepared for any situation. I realise sometimes people prefer staying with one party throughout the game because they warm up to those characters, but the Persona games do a lot of their character development outside of dungeon crawling so it’s not as if you’ll be missing out on much by sitting Junpei out for a grinding session or two.

Fusion spells are something I’d definitely like to see return in future Persona games… the fact that they were taken out of Persona 4 was a real shame. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, basically if you have two specific Personas in your possession you’ll be able to use a special skill with them for a certain portion of your total SP. I’ve laid witness to four different types so far (although Cadenza was by far the most useful of them all considering when it first became available) but some new ones in the fifth Persona instalment would be nice. 

Boss fights in the game are quite different to how they were in Persona 4, whether they be within Tartarus or as part of a Full Moon event. While Persona 4 boss fights felt like an endurance run in of themselves, in Persona 3 it never really feels like the end is too far out of reach. The catch is that bosses still deal out a good deal of damage and there’s often a lot of luck involved in getting through a battle since it really depends on what attack the enemy AI randomly picks. If your boss picks power charge, you better heal to max, put out a persona with high endurance and maybe an endurance boost like Rakukaja and hope to dear god the enemy doesn’t get lucky with critical hits or something stupid. Despite my bad luck with some Full Moon bosses I’d say that it's probably the Tartarus boss fights that have given me the most trouble thus far, particularly those which come in threes and have an uncanny ability to use high powered attacks targeting my entire party over and over before I can heal.

Social Links… if there’s one thing that I like about them which is pretty ironic considering the nature of the rest of the game, it’s how upbeat and different each of them are, and how I actually look forward to hanging out with pretty much everyone unless they go on too much about their hots for teacher. There’s a few social links that get mopey from time to time, but compared to the number of those awkward social links in Persona 4 it’s really refreshing. Did I mention you can hang out with Tanaka? Or someone in an MMORPG? Well, I guess most people who read this will have already played Persona 3 but hey, I felt like shouting that out to someone.

The characters on your party themselves, I’ll admit, probably don’t have the same charm as those in Persona 4. The only one that really exists on the same level as my old standbys Chie, Yosuke and Kanji is Junpei; otherwise the only characters I’ve started liking all that much are because of their gimmicks. Outside of those, Yukari is okay but I feel that’s only because she’s always at odds with Junpei. Akihiko is timid on the inside but boring otherwise, Mitsuru’s a bitch but also bland and Fuuka’s just annoying. Forgive me for my exaggeration here as these characters are still better than the ones you’ll find in most games, but for the standards the Persona series has set for me they’re definitely average.

That’s all I have for today. Again, I apologise for the long blog. If it’s too long for you, I’ll basically just say that I’m enjoying Persona 3 quite a bit in spite of some flaws. Check out my videos if you want to know to what extent that enjoyment is or something. Otherwise I’ll be back in another few weeks or a month or something with another blog to update when I feel like it. Thanks for reading. :) 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

Have you unlocked Mitsuru's social link?  She becomes much more interesting I think when you get to really know her.  The struggle she has living in two worlds ( her social status) makes her more engaging to me than most of the others including those in P4.  It's all about personal taste, of course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PenguinDust: Not just yet, no. I believe my Academics is level 4, Courage is level 5 and Charm is maxed out (although I haven't started Yukari's S Link, don't want to until I've finished juggling Yuko and Chihiro's haha). Will be looking forward to anything that'll change my opinions later though, and I think that's the aim I have with these blogs is just to be able to look back and see how my thoughts have changed as the game's gone on.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mutha3

Tanaka and Maya are awesome social links. Best part of P3  to me.

Sun in this game is mad depressing, and maybe a bit whiny, but I enjoyed  that one a lot too. One of the rare occasions where social links capture drama without feeling cheesy. 
    @PenguinDust said:

" Have you unlocked Mitsuru's social link?  She becomes much more interesting I think when you get to really know her.  The struggle she has living in two worlds ( her social status) makes her more engaging to me than most of the others including those in P4.  It's all about personal taste, of course. "

Penguindust is right in that Mitsuru's Slink is pretty interesting...Never got to see it myself, though(looked it up on youtube). When playing through the game, I never got the opportunity to Slink with Mitsuru and in the rare occurence I found her, she'd always say something along the lines of:''going home? I have things to do''. So, I assumed she'd hook up with Akihiko or something by the end of the game, until I checked online after finishing it.

None of them can beat the Nanakonator, though!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutha3 said:
    "None of them can beat the Nanakonator, though! "
    You mean cyborg Nanako? At least that's what I call her, but that sounds like a good name too. :P 
    I haven't started Sun yet. I'm trying not to start too many social links (at least not too many of the date-able girls') until I've finished some. Just maxed out Maya's S Link and I'm fairly close to finishing Kazushi's and Tanaka's from what I recall; Yuko and Chihiro are both level 6 I think.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust
    @Kowbrainz said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    "None of them can beat the Nanakonator, though! "
    You mean cyborg Nanako? At least that's what I call her, but that sounds like a good name too.
    By cyborg Nanako do you mean Aigis?  Because, she is really nothing like Nanako.  I'd say she has more in common with Teddy from P4 than Nanako.  Aigis is the Chariot arcana, by the way.  And you can work any date-able girls up to level 6, I think, without worry.  I think at level 7 there is a warning that seeing other girls romantically would upset the one at level 7.  If that happens and the arcana card is reversed you need to spend a day "apologizing" or praying at the shrine to right the relationship again.   Of course, once you hit level 10, you don't need to worry about that and you are free again to date any girl as you pursue the social link to 10.  As I've stated in the past, one of the failings of this game and P4 is that once you reach level 10 there is no reason to see that person ever again.  And, there are no repercussions that can harm that relationship.  So, pick a girl and take her out.  Also, [WARNING] this is a bit of a hint:  It is important to have as many level 10 social links as you can.  Level 8's and 9's won't help, so focus on getting to 10 or not bothering at all (well unless you just want to spend time with the person.)
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mutha3
    @PenguinDust: I'm pretty sure we were just joking about Nanako being a mech, Penguindust:P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PenguinDust: @mutha3: yeah, I only call her Cyborg Nanako because every time I hear her voice I just imagine her singing the Junes theme in robotic tone. Same with whoever Fuuka's friend is... can't remember her name. Natsuki or something? Hope that's not just something I pulled out of my ass. :/

I actually checked something about dateable girls a while back and how to juggle them when they're at a high level (each of them has a 60 day timer which will be lowered by 15 days each time you hang out with another dateable girl) but if you're right about being able to hang out with other girls at a low level without any repercussions then I might start working on Yukari too since I recently maxed out my charm.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By endaround

There was a change made from P3 to P3:FES dealing with SLs. 

And have you really not figured out who Maya is yet? 

This is slightly spoilerish so read at your own caution: 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endaround: I never said anything about not figuring out who Maya was.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By endaround
    @Kowbrainz: I took that from you complaining about hanging out with people hot for teacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endaround:  I don't want to spoil anything in these for people who haven't played the game in case they decide to check this out, thanks. All I was referring to was Kenji's fantasies.
    Force0401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Force0401

By the way Kowbrainz, on the recent episode (58) of your Let's Play near the end with the Cantonese word "Wai" - it is pronounced more like "way" than "why" :P (i'm a fluent Cantonese speaker). Its hard to describe, its not quite one or the other, its more in the middle of "way" and "why" >.<

I really like your P3Fes run so far though, and your commentary is great :) 
    Keep up the good work.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I'd avoid all youtube comments if you want to avoid spoilers. I just don't trust people lol.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Force0401: oh, okay. And thanks a lot. :) 

@Sanj: The people commenting on my videos have been rather good thus far even though a few of them have played through P3 already. A lot of the comments for my vids occur when I'm asleep so I guess I can at least hope that people will flag those ones before I get to see them or something. I'm over a third of the way through the game now though and things have been going well so hopefully it'll be okay.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By endaround
    @Kowbrainz: So I've been somewhat watching and got to part 41.  Just a few things: 
    1.  Watch the TV in the dorm commons more-it tells a big part of the overall story. 
    2.  You'll have lots of time to finish the night SLs, so you're better off just using that time to boost stats in the beginning because other SLs need that,. 
    3. Go buy at the Police Station more-inventory in this games is a mess I know but he usually has stuff thats one level better than what you get from card drops 
    4.  The Cups and Swords cards boost persona stats but don't get passed on-I ended up saving them  until I go my end persona.  You use them from you inventory like other items 
    5.  The weapons you get from the antique shop are usually pretty good, with the legendary weapons really powerful.  And you can use any blank weapon for those not just the weapon type they produce.  They mostly come from fusing with a max of the line from an arcana though some are based upon the fact a legendary weapon is associated with the persona (ie  C u Chulainn) 
    6.  Check the video room every so often-I don't remember if it tells you every time there is new video or not anymore  
    7.  The fusion table in the manual is really important 

Some of this stuff maybe moot at this but oh well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endaround: thanks.  
    I was thinking of doing that with the sword/cup cards already since it makes sense, don't want to waste them on a Persona I'll probably be switching out soon anyway. Will check the police station for better weapons next time I get the chance. 
    Have been viewing TV when I remember to for my Phoenix Ranger Featherman R fix but if it gives off more plot then I'll watch some. Will check video room next time I can too. 

Cheers again. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.