Nanto Koshū Ken
Shin (シン) is the successor of the martial art Nanto Koshū Ken (南斗孤鷲拳, South Dipper Lone Eagle Fist). Nanto Koshū Ken is one of the 108 schools of Nanto Seiken ( 南斗聖拳, "Sacred Fist of the South Star"). Shin is a part of the Nanto Roku Seiken ( 南斗六聖拳, "The Six Sacred Fists of the South Star") which represents the six top masters of Nanto Seiken . The six southern styles in the Nanto Roku Seiken represent the six stars of the Nanto Roku Sei (南斗六星, "South Dipper Six Stars") which is a Chinese constellation. Nanto Koshū Ken represents the Star of Martyrdom (殉星 Junsei), who is destined to live and die for love.
Nanto Koshū Ken focuses on rapid hand strikes which stab the enemy to death.
This branch of the Nanto Seiken was originally unnamed in the manga and 1980's anime. The designation Nanto Koshū Ken was first used in the 1986 publication Hokuto no Ken Special: All About the Man and has been used in every official Hokuto no Ken source since then. Shin announces its name for the first time in the video game Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei Kengō Retsuden.
Gokuto Ken (獄屠拳 Hell Slaughter Fist): A flying kick which slices the medial elbow and knees of the opponent.
Hien Zan (飛燕斬, Flying Swallow Slash): A powerful vertical flying kick which slices through multiple opponents.
Hiryū Ken (飛竜拳, Flying Dragon Fist): A series of rapid punches used to pierce armored opponents.
Senshuryū Geki (千首龍撃, Thousand Dragon Head Attack): A series of rapid spear hand strikes.
From Hokuto no Ken: Kyūkyoku Kaisetsusho: Seikimatsu Haō Retsuden.
- Level: A
- Power: 3
- Speed: 4
- Skills: 4
- Looks: 4
- Charisma: 4
Nanto Roku Seiken
- Nanto Koshū Ken (Shin) (南斗孤鷲拳, South Dipper Lone Eagle Fist): This style focuses on rapid stabbing hand strikes. Nanto Koshū Ken represents the Star of Martyrdom (殉星, Junsei).
- Nanto Suichō Ken (Rei) (南斗水鳥拳, South Dipper Waterbird Fist): This focuses on slicing hand attacks. It specializes in aerial techniques. Nanto Suichō Ken represents the Star of Justice (義星,Gisei).
- Nanto Kōkaku Ken (Yuda) (南斗紅鶴拳, South Dipper Flamingo Fist): This style uses tends to use vertical slicing attacks and long-range attacks. Nanto Kōkaku Ken represents the Star of Enchantment (妖星, Yōsei).
- Nanto Hakurō Ken (Shu) (南斗白鷺拳, South Dipper White Heron Fist): This style focuses on kicking techniques, although it also has slicing hand attacks. Nanto Hakurō Ken represents the Star of Benevolence (仁星, Jinsei).
- Nanto Hōō Ken (Ogai, Souther) (南斗鳳凰拳, South Dipper Fenghuang Phoenix Fist): This freeform style typically has no stances and instead focuses on incredible speed and power. Nanto Hōō Ken represents the Star of Leadership (将星 Shōsei), also known as the Polar Star (極星 Kyokusei) and the Star of the Southern Cross (南十字星 Minami Jūji Sei).
- Nanto Saigo no Shō (Yuria) (南斗六聖拳最後の将, The Last General of South Dipper): This is a title held by the last member of the Nanto Rokusei. Their role is to unite with Hokuto in times of chaos. Nanto Saigo no Shō represents the Merciful Mother Star (慈母星, Jibosei).
Shin is a major antagonist in the manga and anime Fist of the North Star and various games based upon them. He is a master of Nanto Koshū Ken and served as Kenshiro's training partner as they both sought to master their respective arts. However, once their training had finished and Kenshiro planned to marry his love Yuria, Shin betrayed him. After inflicting a series of severe wounds on Kenshiro's chest in the form of the Big Dipper, Shin leaves him for dead and absconds with Yuria, intent on making her his own bride. He showers her with wealth and gives her a lavish lifestyle that most in the post-apocalyptic society could only dream of, but no matter what he does, he can't steal away her heart.
When Shin learns that Kenshiro is still alive, he sends his minions after him, but one by one, they're felled by Kenshiro's might. Ultimately, Kenshiro invades his headquarters, and he challenges his rival to a final battle. Shin fights Kenshiro, but loses. After he's beaten, he informs Kenshiro that, unable to let go of her love for him and accept Shin, Yuria chose to fall to her death. Shin then does the same, refusing to allow Hokuto Shinken be his killer.