Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Squad Based Shooter

Concept »

You work with a small team of AI or human squad members (usually with a total squad size of 4) to complete objectives.

Do you miss squad shooters any all?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Do you miss squad shooters any all? (89 votes)

Yes! 51%
    No... 20%
    I could take 'em or leave 'em. 19%
    Show results. 10%

Hey, I'm not the biggest shooter guy. I certainly play a decent amount of them and like a fair share of them but thinking about shooters in general, I find myself liking the ones where you don't have to shot as much or when they're mixed with exploration, puzzle solving, or some other types of focus more.

That's why I think I kinda have fond memories of squad shooters. Games like SWAT 3+4, Rainbow Six Vegas, Freedom Fighters, and even Mass Effect 2 where I could point my mates to do a lot of the dirty is something I wish was still more in vogue. We also had series like Socom and Brothers in Arms that I never really played but looked cool as well.

Anyways, is it my nostalgia talking again or do you kinda miss squad shooters as well?

• 
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

oops, I meant "at all." Sorry.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hell yes I do! Loved the Brother in Arms series, loved Rainbow Six games, Ghost Recon, Desert Storm etc etc

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

Damn, I forgot Binary Domain was a squad shooter, tho a little different

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By DocHaus

Does the Battlefield series count as "squad based shooters?" Because there's Squad and World War 3 (both currently in Early Access) that are supposed to scratch that itch.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I could really go for a SWAT 5 right now...

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a crime that there hasn't been another Star Wars: Republic Commando, though I'm not sure I'd trust anyone to make a sequel that retains the spirit of the original now...

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear was one of my favorite shooters of all time.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Somehow I read squid shooters because fuck me when it comes to reading.

Anyway. I like Gears of War. Playing Gears 1 Ultimate on PC was a pleasant experience. They should put Gears 2, 3 and maybe Judgement to PC already.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By stonyman65

Freedom Fighters was one of the best games ever made.

I really, really miss "old school"

tactical shooters like Rainbow Six and SWAT. Those were pretty awesome and challenging games that came closer to realism than anything since. ARMA is probably the closest modern thing to it but even that is more about milsim for the sake of simulation rather than actual tactical gameplay.

Its a niche market for sure but it's totally underserved at the moment.

Edit: Oh shit I totally forgot SOCOM US Navy Seals. Holy shit SOCOM was amazing. That needs to come back big time!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

oh shit i was thinkin only online stuff. hell yeah i could go for another freedom fighters or republic commando. those games were a blast!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anybody else play the Conflict Desert Storm games? I loved the fuck out of them back int day, me and my mate played the shit out of them. Anybody else enjoy em????

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

play fortnite.

I'm only half joking. Its fun and easy to get group in and out of matches quickly. Its free so it's easy to get everyone copy of game. Even if yall suck its easy to get some kills as long has you work together.

Do you really mean only group vs computer, ie left for dead or gears. These games are better for feeling like you accomplished something. Its fun to climb your way through game, get better gear and reach end. However, once you beat game it becomes harder to go back has often.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's a crime that there hasn't been another Star Wars: Republic Commando, though I'm not sure I'd trust anyone to make a sequel that retains the spirit of the original now...

I believe the Creative Director of RC went on to become CD of Halo 5 which is shows in the final product being kinda similar to Republic Commando.

That being said, I prefer my squad shooters to be kinds light in management like a Halo 5, Gears or Mass Effect. I mostly like squad shooters because of the team banter and the feeling that you aren't alone in the fight.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I liked squads that were competent, but would give me the option to move them around. Like Mass Effect, sure.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yep. Role-based tactical squad shooters are my favorite type of shooters.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anybody else play the Conflict Desert Storm games? I loved the fuck out of them back int day, me and my mate played the shit out of them. Anybody else enjoy em????

Oh hell yeah, I played C:DS tons back when it came out.

I also played a bunch of the Ghost Recon games as well, and had an original Xbox Live crew that I played with a lot.

I love Siege and wish it had a campaign. I loved terrorist hunt, but my friends who played it have dropped off of it and random people on the Internet, even against AI, can be...well random people on the Internet. And they almost always were when I tried.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_max707 said:

I believe the Creative Director of RC went on to become CD of Halo 5 which is shows in the final product being kinda similar to Republic Commando.

That being said, I prefer my squad shooters to be kinds light in management like a Halo 5, Gears or Mass Effect. I mostly like squad shooters because of the team banter and the feeling that you aren't alone in the fight.

I thing RC had pretty simple squad management all things considered. Four basic squad tactics and a contextual command key kept things straightforward while being pretty flexible. And the banter is among my favorite in any game!

obese_chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure do miss squad shooters. In fact I'm listening to the Freedom Fighters soundtrack right now as I type this.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#20 fisk0  Moderator

I guess I kinda do? At least the ones where you can give somewhat direct orders to your squad, and not just have them follow you around and shoot at things at random and where their only function is to restore your ammo or health.

As a big fan of first person party based dungeon crawlers like Wizardry and The Bard's Tale, those kind of shooters can kinda scratch that itch when they're at their best. Still, my absolute favorite shooters tend to be 90s shooters with a lot of user created content.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sahalarious

I felt like all I did in gaming for a decade was worry about shitty AI, and not doing that anymore is fantastic. Ghost Recon Wildlands reminded me how bad that shit is. Freedom Fighters doesn't count that game is pure joy.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squad!

On a more serious note, yeah there use to be a lot off singleplayer squad based games but they have seem'd to be vanishing because of the internet being a wide spread thing now, no need to get "fake" AI teammates, highlight for me was definitely was Rainbox Six Raven Shield.

Karwowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What?

Did you live under a rock past 10 years?

They never went away dude.

Overwatch, Siege, Battlefield, Insurgency, Squad, TF2?

Any of those ring a bell?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By hermes

How about Rainbow Six Siege and Ghost Recon Wildlands?

I know they are like light versions of those you mention, but I wouldn't call the genre dead quite yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.