Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Game » consists of 34 releases. Released Sep 16, 2008

Set before the events of the original Star Wars trilogy, The Force Unleashed casts the player as Darth Vader's secret apprentice tasked with hunting down the last of the Jedi Order.

Is the story worth it?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#1  Edited By tearhead

Well I've been tracking this game for a few months now and I was semi excited for it and now that it's out I'm conflicted. I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan and from the reviews I'm hearing that the story is epic but the gameplay is not. I played the demo and had similar problems with the camera, aiming, and just falling off that fuckin bridge because Starkiller woulden't stop the rasshole combo in time... but really I want to know if all of the gameplay is sufferable to get to the story, or is the gameplay so bad that you just don't care how good the story is. Cause I'm willing to play the game as long as the gameplay isn't "OMFG, I'm gonna break this game in half!" to get to the story, and is the story really that amazing to quench my Star Wars nerdism? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!)

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Shasam

I don't think that anyone thinks the game play is bad, not by any means. I heard one of the main problems is the difficulty going up and down to much, and that things can get repetitive. Generally though, I think the game plays fine.

As for the story, someone on the 1UP FM podcast (I believe) said it was a more satisfying story than the last 3 movies combined, those being Episodes I, II & III. Take from that what you will.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tearhead
    Shasam said:
    "I don't think that anyone thinks the game play is bad, not by any means. I heard one of the main problems is the difficulty going up and down to much, and that things can get repetitive. Generally though, I think the game plays fine.

As for the story, someone on the 1UP FM podcast (I believe) said it was a more satisfying story than the last 3 movies combined, those being Episodes I, II & III. Take from that what you will."
    Yea, and I really liked the last 3 movies. So maybe I'll get it... but I'm assuming you never get so frustrated with the game that you just loose all intention of playing. Cus' I just want to know if the story outweighs it faults so I can look past them to get to the story.
    Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Lemegeton

my take from the reviews is that the gameplay overall is great but is spoiled by a few sections and flaws but it sounds like the good outweigh the bad .
    im getting it anyway

IrishBrewed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By IrishBrewed

It seems to be a hit in the BUTTON MASHING genre so if your into those games then I am sure its to tier there. But it is not as great as the industry hyped it up to be.

iZeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iZeus
    If you played the demo and didn't like the gameplay in that, then you won't like the gameplay in the retail version. No offense kid but this is the dumbest question I heard today. Why are you asking for other peoples opinions if you already played the demo? Don't tell me you're one of those kids who needs reviews because they can't think on their own?

I don't understand why you people say "Oh it's a demo/beta, they'll fix all the flaws later." No because it would take longer than a month to fix issues people have.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tearhead
    iZeus said:
    "If you played the demo and didn't like the gameplay in that, then you won't like the gameplay in the retail version. No offense kid but this is the dumbest question I heard today. Why are you asking for other peoples opinions if you already played the demo? Don't tell me you're one of those kids who needs reviews because they can't think on their own?

I don't understand why you people say "Oh it's a demo/beta, they'll fix all the flaws later." No because it would take longer than a month to fix issues people have.
    "
    Look you asshole, does the demo have a story? No. I'm asking about the story, and if the gameplay outweighs the great story. Yes, I know I didn't like the gameplay based on the demo but I'm willing to suffer through the gameplay to get to the great story. Don't insult my intelligence because I want to find out what other people thought off the story.
    cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cgrady

not done with the game yet, but the story just got pretty damn interesting and is starting to really make a connection with the later films. also tons of little things youll notice like the super star destroyer being in construction and such. i wouldnt say pay $60 just for the story, you could buy the book of course.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tearhead
    cgrady said:
    "not done with the game yet, but the story just got pretty damn interesting and is starting to really make a connection with the later films. also tons of little things youll notice like the super star destroyer being in construction and such. i wouldnt say pay $60 just for the story, you could buy the book of course."
    Hmmm... thanks for the input. I dunno, I may suck it up and buy it, even though the gameplay had some issues it was still pretty fun to zap guys with lightning.
    cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cgrady

Since I finished the game I'll say that since it IS canon, its pretty integral stuff to know. That said, the novel most likely fleshes it out more and makes the story even better.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Well, I got this game (the PS3 version) as a gift. I really didn't want to purchase it, but I'm lucky I ended up having it for free. :)

Here's the bottom-line:

This game isn't bad. It just didn't live up to it's full potential, that's all. In fact, I'm enjoying it very much, and while there are some things that disappoint me, there are also some things that 'wow' me.

I think it all depends on your perspective. If you play this game looking for flaws, you're destined for a letdown. But if you play this game with an optimistic mindset, you'll come out satisfied.

Now, is this game worth a purchase? If you're a hardcore Star Wars fan, and you're rarely disappointed with Star Wars games, then this game is worthy of a purchase. In fact, this game was made with you in mind.

If you're just looking for a good action game, this game is a must rent. It's a fun game for the short time you'll be playing it. If you're not all for Star Wars, don't buy it. Save your money for the blockbuster titles coming out later this holiday season.

PS- The story is the best thing about this game!

Avatar image for alucardalacarte
    AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

Gotta say: I think the story makes it all worth it. I haven't been this invested in a story (especially a Star Wars one) since the first KOTOR. The minor glitches, the incredibly cheap boss (little spidery bastard, you know who you are!), these things all pale to one of the best stories in SW lore. Oh and punting jawas never gets old. This is from someone who Gameflied it and plans on buying it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Trying to get a game involving the Force to be phenomenal is about as impossible as finding a worthy adversary for Superman:  it's just not going to happen.  The problem with the Force is that, well, it's pretty much ultimate.  Therefore, trying to actually make all that work in the gameplay world is just hard as hell, I'd imagine.  Therefore, I'm almost willing to forgive some of the shortcomings that the gameplay features.  One of my biggest problem is that you have a lightsaber, which should be able to cut through A N Y T H I N G without any effort, and in here, you can't do jack nor shit.

I don't know, maybe that's just me being super critical and nitpicky like always.

As for the story...it's better than the new trilogy combined!  To be honest, I would've preferred if they had made a movie featuring Starkiller.  If you dig the Star Wars lore, and you want to see a side of Vader you've never really seen, it's an awesome experience.  I would easily put this storytelling on par with what you would find in games like Indigo Prophecy and Beyond Good & Evil.
    Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Two

Yeah, it's totally worth it for the story. There was a moment at the ending of the second to last level I almost punched my Xbox, cause it was so frustrating. And I yelling "BULLSHIT! C'MON!" at least 4 or 5 times, but the story was what made me keep going. It was by no means a bad game, it actually was extremely enjoyable, I actually played through the vast majoirty of the game in 1 sitting, mainly cause I wanted to see what happens next.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Its a good game, both in its gameplay and its story. There are a few gameplay issues, but nothing that is too bad, its still fun to play, and the great storyline just makes it even more worth a play.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

I would say it's worth the price of a rental to experience the story.  Other than that, watch Jeff's video review, he is spot on about the gameplay.  I still have it from Gamefly - I'm going to go through the game one more time on Sith Lord difficulty, then I'll be done with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.