Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Blizzard Will Delete Inappropriate StarCraft II Maps

• 96 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

It might be time to hit drawing board again if you're in the process of making a sick dick-shaped creation in StarCraft II's map editor. Blizzard Entertainment will be deleting user-created content that it or other users designate as "inappropriate." 

In a recent message board thread (spied by Big Download) on SCII's official forum, social manager "Lylirra" said that all maps are subject to review by Blizzard. She also shed some light on the removal process.  

"While players are encouraged to share the maps they create through Battle.net, published maps are subject to review to ensure that they promote a fun and safe environment for all players," Lyrilla said. "If a map is found to contain inappropriate content, it will be removed from Battle.net and the map maker will be contacted via e-mail. Should a player have any questions or concerns regarding a specific action, he or she is welcome to contact our support representatives by using the following web form: [URL]."

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==In the same topic, other social man "Bashiok" explained that the reason Blizzard will be reviewing user-created content is simply because it can. The support department has swelled over the dozen or so years since the release of the original StarCraft. Additionally, SCII's map sharing lets creators publish their maps directly to Battle.net for easier sharing, which gives Blizzard some oversight over maps that it didn't have in the past.

"Because we can," Bashiok said. "Literally. We have a support department now of size and ability to enforce these types of things. It simply wasn't possible when our in-game support used to consist of approximately 20 technical support agents."

The topic had users who were unsure of why their content was deleted. The content policy is handy, but Bashiok suggested that Blizzard might drop detailed information in the future when it comes to moderation, that way owners of maps called "Badass Wanger" won't be confused when their stuff is deleted.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

It might be time to hit drawing board again if you're in the process of making a sick dick-shaped creation in StarCraft II's map editor. Blizzard Entertainment will be deleting user-created content that it or other users designate as "inappropriate." 

In a recent message board thread (spied by Big Download) on SCII's official forum, social manager "Lylirra" said that all maps are subject to review by Blizzard. She also shed some light on the removal process.  

"While players are encouraged to share the maps they create through Battle.net, published maps are subject to review to ensure that they promote a fun and safe environment for all players," Lyrilla said. "If a map is found to contain inappropriate content, it will be removed from Battle.net and the map maker will be contacted via e-mail. Should a player have any questions or concerns regarding a specific action, he or she is welcome to contact our support representatives by using the following web form: [URL]."

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==In the same topic, other social man "Bashiok" explained that the reason Blizzard will be reviewing user-created content is simply because it can. The support department has swelled over the dozen or so years since the release of the original StarCraft. Additionally, SCII's map sharing lets creators publish their maps directly to Battle.net for easier sharing, which gives Blizzard some oversight over maps that it didn't have in the past.

"Because we can," Bashiok said. "Literally. We have a support department now of size and ability to enforce these types of things. It simply wasn't possible when our in-game support used to consist of approximately 20 technical support agents."

The topic had users who were unsure of why their content was deleted. The content policy is handy, but Bashiok suggested that Blizzard might drop detailed information in the future when it comes to moderation, that way owners of maps called "Badass Wanger" won't be confused when their stuff is deleted.
    AdventFalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AdventFalls

Inevitable that there'd be those maps. Still, fingers crossed good maps aren't caught in crossfire.

EDIT: Also, holy crap first.

Kikimondingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kikimondingo

Yikes

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NoXious

At least that'll stop the Hentai / Racist maps from popping up every now and then.

SpheriQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SpheriQ
    Dornhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dornhal

This will make getting player made maps more refreshing

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

Screw this bullshit, with how they are treating the mapper community for SC2...Blizzard shouldn't be given free passes on this. 

@SpheriQ: Hah, yeah I wondering why they didn't post that on the news story.  

munnyman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By munnyman5
    @NoXious said:
    " At least that'll stop the Hentai / Racist maps from popping up every now and then. "
    As an avid Racist Hentai Map Designer (we call it RHMD in the office), I am going to be out of a job soon. 

Please note that nothing I said in the above sentence is at all true.
    Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Brenderous

How can a SCII map be inappropriate? Are they talking gameplay-wise or like....maps shaped like lady parts?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Binman88

I can't believe how up-in-arms these people got over their maps being banned. Typical retard whining was going on since this started, and as it turns out, it's clear Blizzard were doing right by their community all along. 

Kaboobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kaboobi

So wait, will they be looking through maps for inappropriate words or something?

Googly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Googly

Blizzard is already cracking down on maps?  Hot damn.

thedoomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thedoomshine

I'm still gonna set up my base in the shape of a penis. Every time. Because I mean Serious Business. SERIOUS. BUSINESS.

Hot_Sawce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Hot_Sawce

Moderated content is nothing new.  No one should be surprised by this.

chadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chadster

The Protoss held their ground atop Left Testicle Hill, but in their hearts they knew the Space Cock was lost.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Yzzerdd

Gee thanks for trying to be everyone's digital mom Blizzard. Why don't you bring out your 
    version of friend codes next.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @dudeglove said:
    " There goes my plan of having a gigantic penis map. "
    Exactly. Why the hell would I even want to play this game anymore?
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Crono

There goes my Naked Pokemon Cock Fortress map series... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'm still playing the regular Blizzard maps. So I'll probably never see any banned maps.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#21  Edited By Brackynews
    @Kaboobi said:
    " So wait, will they be looking through maps for inappropriate words or something? "
    Spot on, Mr. Boobi.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sfighter21
    @dudeglove said:
    " There goes my plan of having a gigantic penis map. "
    Aww, shucks.
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By ToxicAntidote

This is just  ridiculous . I really hoped for a map creation community in style with the one for Warcraft 3. Guess that aint gonna happen. A great step forward for technology and "security". An enormous step backwards for creativity and great minds.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Milkman
    @MythDarK said:
    " This is just ridicules. I really hoped for a map creation community in style with the one for Warcraft 3. Guess that aint gonna happend. A great step forward for technology and "security". An enormous step backwards for creativity and great minds. "
    The creativity and great minds behind such creations as "GIANT DONG".

I'd love to know what kind of creativity Blizzard is holding back here. Go ahead. I'm listening.
    pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pplus0440

A penis shaped map would actually be pretty interestng to play......got to charge down the shaft you know?
    SeaEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeaEye

Badass Wanger FTW!

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NotSoSneakyGuy

Well there was that Rick Roll DOTA map during the beta, which I thought was fine except the only way to stop it was to hard boot your computer because it would lock out all menu and keyboard commands.

It hilariously started to gain in "popularity".

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zitosilva

Well, no matter. Penis shaped Starcraft stages aren't as fun as penis shaped LBP levels.

Avatar image for cletusthefoetus
    CletusTheFoetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CletusTheFoetus

I'm pretty sure the collectors edition behind the scenes DVD had the devs making tackle maps? Did I get the wrong one?

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ToxicAntidote
    @Milkman said:
    " @MythDarK said:
    " This is just ridicules. I really hoped for a map creation community in style with the one for Warcraft 3. Guess that aint gonna happend. A great step forward for technology and "security". An enormous step backwards for creativity and great minds. "
    The creativity and great minds behind such creations as "GIANT DONG".  I'd love to know what kind of creativity Blizzard is holding back here. Go ahead. I'm listening. "
    My point is that Blizzard is trying to babysit every little player with their restricted systems. Just the fact that you can only have a maximum of five maps published at the same time, which by the way mustn't exceed 20MB total. And the publishing system and custom games is just flawed by the roots. They had a great system that worked great for Starcraft and Warcraft 3. This is one big leap backwards.
    BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BrokenCage
    @Milkman said:
    " @MythDarK said:
    The creativity and great minds behind such creations as "GIANT DONG".  I'd love to know what kind of creativity Blizzard is holding back here. Go ahead. I'm listening. "

Depends on how "touchy" they are about the content. I mean if you look at a penis, it could be strategically viable. Think of it as a bridge with two platforms at the base, now say someone puts that same design in their map, some super sensitive person says "OMG 'tis a penis!" and Blizzard deletes the map. That's the potential issue.

You might scoff, but it's not unheard of. I once dated a girl who swore half the things in WoW were shaped like a penis.
    sparkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sparkul

This does not look good for my "Black Korea" map.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MAST
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Screw this bullshit, with how they are treating the mapper community for SC2...Blizzard shouldn't be given free passes on this."
    Not really sure why you, and others are getting so uppity about this. I mean, of course Blizzard is going to take down maps they deem "offensive" or copyright infringing. This same thing happened with LittleBigPlanet. It's just how it works nowadays. Companies are going to try their best to cover their asses.

Also. You are surprised that a big corporate company might be handling the matter in a less than delicate manner? Again. That's just how it works. The company is after money first and foremost, and wants to face lawsuits as infrequently as possible. Not only that, but I'm sure they want to keep their "Teen" atmosphere as well. Even in the online component of their game.

Letting map creators run amuck, and create whatever the hell they please isn't going to help Blizzard achieve their goals one bit. It's a given that they are going to police user created content. In the end, don't create a dick shaped map, or use copyright infringing material, and your map won't get taken down. It's as simple as that.

No offense to you, Kaos, or anyone else. I just think you guys need to calm down and relax a little bit. You shoulda seen this coming...
    Avatar image for mrprezident2008
    MrPrezident2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrPrezident2008

agreed.. inevitable

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ToxicAntidote
    @MAST said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" Screw this bullshit, with how they are treating the mapper community for SC2...Blizzard shouldn't be given free passes on this."
     [...]You shoulda seen this coming... "
    Based on their previous releases, I didn't see this coming. The greatest thing that ever happened to Stracraft and Warcraft were the map creation communities we've seen the past decade.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ch13696

They couldn't do what Apple and Google does with their apps? Bust a big "you must be 17 or older to view this app" logo before playing.

SgtMustang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SgtMustang

Give people tools to create something great, and they act like 12 year olds, lol

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By OneManX

People are actling like they are gonna start deleting any and every map EVER!

bricewgilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 25

#39  Edited By bricewgilbert
    @Binman88: Using retard like this is offensive. Your post should be removed in case others are offended... 

Get it?
    Buttes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Buttes

Oh man, goodbye SC1 "STRIP THE ANIME CHARACTER" and "BREAK THE CONDOM" maps.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hero_swe
    @Buttes:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ToxicAntidote

By the way, this is one of my favorite lines from Blizzards list of things that can get you banned. 
    "Has any connotations of major religions or religious figures (i.e. Jesus, Christianity, Buddha)"

Better not use an Xel'naga because they're the gods in SC.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Diamond

Obviously this is to allow for cross platform compatibility with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions!

(just kidding!)

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By actionTACO

my dickbutt 4v4 map... noooooo

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

I think this is more about stopping people from remaking SC1 and WC3 maps. "Inappropriate" is a pretty vague word and so far the only "inappropriate" shit they've removed of any substance was IP themed levels that don't violate copyright any more than Modnation.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cooljammer00

There will be a workaround.  I just know it. 

It'll be a subtle penis, or something.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

So I wonder if "Druggie" will still be a player in the inevitable "Life of a Peasant" (WC3 map) remake.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Clinkz

Dude in warcraft 3 you could host straight pornographic pictures in the thumbnail. See how much fun you are taking away Momma Blizzard?

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By clubsandwich

no penis maps?

ElderSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ElderSon

Blizzard doing everything to avoid the dreaded "Time to Penis" equation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.