Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Shitty GTX 460...

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sanryd

So, here's the story: I can play SCII at ~20 fps at the lowest settings on my onboard Radeon 2100. No crashes, works as well as one would expect. I bought a GTX 260, and could get ~40 fps on all ultra. Only played maybe 5 matches on it, but it worked perfectly every time. I was informed that I could have gotten a slightly better card, the GTX 460, for only $10 more, so, I return the 260 and order the 460. 

Received the 460 in the mail today and popped it in. Updated to the latest drivers. Seemed to be working as well as I thought (40-60) due to my X2 5000+ being a bottleneck. That's a problem I'm taking care of tomorrow by ordering the Phenom II X2 555 @ 3.2GHz (On a side note, is this a decent replacement? Will SCII run at 60?) Anyway, every single match I play freezes up, accompanied by artifacts covering the screen for 10-15 seconds, then returns to normal. This happens every 3-5 minutes. ( This is at medium settings. On ultra, the PC has to be hard reset). Looks similar to this mockup I made, only the squares are flickering. (Probably normal artifacting, but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible here!) 

No Caption Provided

I have been monitoring the temps so far, and the GPU never even hits 50 and everything else is fine. Except 1 sensor seen here that was running at 97 during one of SCII's crashes:  

No Caption Provided
    I've taken steps to improve airflow in the case, so, everything, including the problematic temp, has dropped by some amount. It used to idle at 85 and now it idles at 73, but still climbs to 90 when playing SCII. This may not even be the problem, but I don't know what else it could be. Other games, such as Borderlands, Just Cause 2, and Dragon Age all at max settings run perfectly fine. I JUST WANNA PLAY STARCRAFT!!! Is it the card, even though every other game is fine? Is it the board?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

I would check other specs compared to the GTX 260 you returned. Also, check reviews on newegg and other hardware sites. Their could be problems. I remember when I bought an nVidia 7600 card and a month later upgraded to a 7800. There was a lot of frame rate problems.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By defaulttag
    @tdk08: maybe this could help. if not, I don't know what else to tell you. you could have a defective card. i would go return it and get something else. perhaps the same card but different manufacturer.
    Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sanryd
    @defaulttag: Thanks for the tip, but that's one of the first things I tried and, unfortunately, it had no effect :(
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I'm playing at ultra on a GTX 275 at 1680x1050 and getting min FPS of around 45, average 55.

It seems those fermis are terrible cards.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HereAllDay

You might want to use this when you play SC2.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By korwin

The 460 is a great card and about the only one in the Fermi line up worth looking at (goes head to head with the 5830 quite nicely).  Unfortunately you appear to have scored a dud, those artifacts are most likely the result of serious thermal issues or some faulty memory.  RMA the thing and get a replacement.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

I have the1Gb version of the GTX460 and it's amazing (for the price, especially). I bought Starcraft 2 yesterday and have not had any errors like that, and no overheating. Under 50 seems like a very good temperature.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.