Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Starcraft 2 beginner

• 53 results
    1xmilox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By 1xmilox1

Roomates finally got me to buy Starcraft 2 to play teams with them. I like to turtle but I know you can't do that in real competition. Anyone have a good beginners guide to competitive playing or esp. team coop.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By fattony12000

Just go into comp stomp with a buddy, complete single player, play for around 30/40 hours to get the hang of it, and watch lots of Day[9] videos.

Turtling can also be called playing defensively, and you most certainly CAN do that at the higher levels of play. So long as you realise when to adapt and change your tactics at the opportune time.

1xmilox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 1xmilox1

Thank You!

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Siphillis

I'm a new player myself.  Practice and observation really is the best and only way to grow competent in StarCraft, from what I can tell.  If you can tolerate the slow speed, don't be afraid to use up all 50 practice rounds online.  Unfortunately, turtling (aka "dying slowly") only works well against human players in my experience, since it requires an aggressive partner.

As for replays, Husky and HDStarCraft, while not quite as knowledgeable as Day9, are more beginner friendly, and post tutorials on basic openers and strategies:

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RTSlord

make more marines. they solve almost every problem lol
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon

Check out TotalHalibut's I Suck At Starcraft II videos. They give some great insight on little things that you might have not thought about that can really improve your game.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By RsistncE

Just don't go into this game expecting your units to act within the guidelines of any sort of AI - there isn't any. Apparently "micro" means "no AI". What a fucking joke.

Roasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Roasted

Black Ops avatar... not surprising. 

Anyway, you should watch some replays:  www.sc2rep.com
    Press 'd' to bring up the production tab and see how high level players macro.
    Learning opening builds is nice, but for beginners it's much more important to just constantly build stuff through the entire game: harvesters, supply buildings, production facilities and units. By watching pros constantly build stuff you can get the general sense of macro.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Fallen189
    @RsistncE said:
    " Just don't go into this game expecting your units to act within the guidelines of any sort of AI - there isn't any. Apparently "micro" means "no AI". What a fucking joke. "

No Caption Provided
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By imsh_pl
    @RsistncE said:

" Just don't go into this game expecting your units to act within the guidelines of any sort of AI - there isn't any. Apparently "micro" means "no AI". What a fucking joke. "

Or maybe "micro" means "yet another mechanic which rewards the better player".

@1xmilox1:

Watch this video.

Also: Could mods please move this to the StarCraft 2 board? Thanks.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE
    @Roasted said:

" Black Ops avatar... not surprising.   Anyway, you should watch some replays:  www.sc2rep.com Press 'd' to bring up the production tab and see how high level players macro. Learning opening builds is nice, but for beginners it's much more important to just constantly build stuff through the entire game: harvesters, supply buildings, production facilities and units. By watching pros constantly build stuff you can get the general sense of macro. "

What is it with you trolls? Apparently a guy can't appreciate a piece of game art without getting labeled as a fanboy of that game. Just to clear something up for you: I dislike Call of Duty and where it took the series from 4 onwards. Additionally I played sc bw a lot back in the day...the problem was that was 1998. It's 2011 now. It's pathetic when your own units have absolutely no AI and as a result can and will actually kill your own units. It's piss poor game design masked under the guise of "IT REQUIRES MICRO AND SKILL YOU NOOB LAWL".
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By amir90

Remember to say gl hf (good luch have fun) whenever a match starts, and when you lose or win you say GG (good game).

Also, watch HD Starcraft, Husky and Day9.

Beware though, it may take over you life, lol.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @RsistncE said:
    what does micro mean to you? 

I know I ain't microing if I can just let the AI handle it. 
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RsistncE
    @imsh_pl:
    @StaticFalconar said:

" @RsistncE said:

what does micro mean to you?  I know I ain't microing if I can just let the AI handle it.  "
    I understand micro and the important role it plays in starcraft, but seriously, some things are just fucking dumb. For example: siege tanks firing on your own units when melee units engage them and not stopping until they are all dead. Is my entire army composed of down syndrome inflicted infants? Is this what the concept of "skill" has come down to? The fact that I have to literally babysit even the most basic brain functions of these supposed "terrans"? That's the point where this game makes me shake my head. I have no problem with macro, base maintenance, unit micro during combat for better positioning, but god damn...friendly fire that doesn't even make your own units stop and think, "wait, maybe killing all my own marines was a bad idea?" 

EDIT: And don't get me wrong, I know that I can stop those tanks from firing on my own marines in the above situation, but the issue is that even in starcraft 2 there should be some base level of AI there, enough so that your own units don't just turn around and sodomize each other to death. I mean why even pretend like this is the future then? Why not just call it cavecraft and be done with it? Oh wait, no...not even cavemen would continue to kill their own tribe members for absolutely no logical reason.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By imsh_pl
    @RsistncE said:

"It's pathetic when your own units have absolutely no AI and as a result can and will actually kill your own units. It's piss poor game design masked under the guise of "IT REQUIRES MICRO AND SKILL YOU NOOB LAWL". "

You have to click "A" and then target your unit to have it attacked by your other units, and you have to do this every time (the units will only kill the one you targeted). This is not bad game design, that's just your own mistake (a very stupid and uncommon one, if I might add).

@RsistncE said:

" I understand micro and the important role it plays in starcraft, but seriously, some things are just fucking dumb. For example: siege tanks firing on your own units when melee units engage them and not stopping until they are all dead. Is my entire army composed of down syndrome inflicted infants? Is this what the concept of "skill" has come down to? The fact that I have to literally babysit even the most basic brain functions of these supposed "terrans"? That's the point where this game makes me shake my head. I have no problem with macro, base maintenance, unit micro during combat for better positioning, but god damn...friendly fire that doesn't even make your own units stop and think, "wait, maybe killing all my own marines was a bad idea?" "

The siege tanks don't fire at your own units, they just target the enemy units in sight. Your units only take splash damage. If the AI would calculate which decision (shoot and damage your own units or don't shoot) is the proper one then that would be too much of a handicap.

And it's definitely not poor game design, I can assure you that Blizzard didn't decide lightly whether your units should take splash from friendly fire or not.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RsistncE
    @imsh_pl said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    "It's pathetic when your own units have absolutely no AI and as a result can and will actually kill your own units. It's piss poor game design masked under the guise of "IT REQUIRES MICRO AND SKILL YOU NOOB LAWL". "
    You have to click "A" and then target your unit to have it attacked by your other units, and you have to do this every time (the units will only kill the one you targeted). This is not bad game design, that's just your own mistake (a very stupid and uncommon one, if I might add). "
    Ugh, I was using A, stop acting like I don't know how to play the game, I do, and I'm certainly not bad at it. The entire issue is outlined in my post right above yours for extra detail.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NickL
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Roasted said:

" Black Ops avatar... not surprising.   Anyway, you should watch some replays:  www.sc2rep.com Press 'd' to bring up the production tab and see how high level players macro. Learning opening builds is nice, but for beginners it's much more important to just constantly build stuff through the entire game: harvesters, supply buildings, production facilities and units. By watching pros constantly build stuff you can get the general sense of macro. "

What is it with you trolls? Apparently a guy can't appreciate a piece of game art without getting labeled as a fanboy of that game. Just to clear something up for you: I dislike Call of Duty and where it took the series from 4 onwards. Additionally I played sc bw a lot back in the day...the problem was that was 1998. It's 2011 now. It's pathetic when your own units have absolutely no AI and as a result can and will actually kill your own units. It's piss poor game design masked under the guise of "IT REQUIRES MICRO AND SKILL YOU NOOB LAWL". "
    So you basically want Starcraft 2 to be a city building sim were all you have to do is make the units then they will go fight on their own? Sorry if it didn't meet your expectations but maybe a SimCity game will... 

Also if siege tanks didn't fire when units were near marines, then there might as well not even be siege tanks in the game.  Considering the speed of this game, the tanks would get 1 shot off then just watch the rest of the fight and the terran would lose every single battle
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @RsistncE: Artillery friendly fire has happened in real life, and this so called future in SC2 is based off space rednecks and a colony of criminals. I wonder if criminals would think twice before killing one another.......
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE
    @imsh_pl: I understand they are targeting the enemy but it is EXTREMELY close fire. There is absolutely no circumstance under which a friendly unit should be dumping damage on friendly units unless explicitly told to do so. It's backwards thinking to have to STOP units from committing friendly fire instead of commanding them explicitly to do so. Like I said Starcraft 2 is a great game, but there are major issues with parts of the game design that reek of 1998. And what you said about it being a handicap if they calculated the decision on their own...that's exactly what I'm talking about. Somehow telling your own units not to kill each other has become a skillfull act. Really? And like I said I'm not asking my units to make decisions on the ground for me, I'm just asking them not to do completely retarded shit like kill each other.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By imsh_pl
    @RsistncE said:

" @imsh_pl: I understand they are targeting the enemy but it is EXTREMELY close fire. There is absolutely no circumstance under which a friendly unit should be dumping damage on friendly units unless explicitly told to do so.

I, for example, think that your units taking splash damage from friendly fire is logical.

A decision had to be made, whether to allow your units to take damage from friendly splash or not. Blizzard decided to choose the former.

I can see where your logic is coming from, though. It was just one of these choices that would've made someone unhappy no matter which option had been chosen.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RsistncE
    @NickL: I never said even once that I wanted my units to command themselves, please read my above posts. 

That is completely untrue, the VAST majority of units in Starcraft 2 are ranged units. Very few are melee units.Additionally you could give your siege tanks the free fire option as a command order but instead friendly fire is the default option. That is fucking stupid. 

@StaticFalconar: Yeah and friendly fire in real life causes a major uproar and is still incredibly rare. Also, when reports of friendly fire get relayed they don't go, "Oh hey, I guess this means we should drop some more artillery shells on their position derp!" On top of that, they may be criminals, but why would they be suicidal enough to kill all their own units which would result in them dying afterwards? It's nonsensical and it would be solved by the basic parameter that units don't fire on one another unless given the order to do so. Such a simple request that makes so much sense on it's own I think.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NickL
    @RsistncE said:
    " @imsh_pl: I understand they are targeting the enemy but it is EXTREMELY close fire. There is absolutely no circumstance under which a friendly unit should be dumping damage on friendly units unless explicitly told to do so. It's backwards thinking to have to STOP units from committing friendly fire instead of commanding them explicitly to do so. Like I said Starcraft 2 is a great game, but there are major issues with parts of the game design that reek of 1998. And what you said about it being a handicap if they calculated the decision on their own...that's exactly what I'm talking about. Somehow telling your own units not to kill each other has become a skillfull act. Really? And like I said I'm not asking my units to make decisions on the ground for me, I'm just asking them not to do completely retarded shit like kill each other. "
    I honestly don't know why this is such a big deal that they do this.  If i'm correct (and im pretty sure i am) marines are all criminals that have been sentenced to death in prison, so no the person running the tank probably wouldn't mind if he killed some of them 

beyond that, the siege tank has been balanced around the idea that it could possibly kill some of your own units so ultimately it doesnt matter if they do.... if you really think the reason why you are losing is because your siege tanks kill a couple marines per engagement then maybe you should look back at the replay and figure out why you are really losing because that isnt it
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE
    @imsh_pl: I totally agree that your own units should take splash damage from tanks if they're close enough. What I don't agree with is your tanks firing on areas which will exposed your own units to friendly fire without your explicit order to do so. Like I get maybe this is what the rest of the community wanted but I do still think it's really dumb and illogical as to why friendly fire would be the default position of all units in the game (except for banelings of course haha).
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE
    @NickL:  WHY would the tank driver kill his own units if it meant his demise also. That is totally illogical because no matter who you are, self preservation is your number one priority. Outside of that, this shouldn't even matter: it's bad game design because it is a potentially frustrating point for many players.

I'm not blaming my losses on them at all, I'm saying that there are some really apparently flaws in the games design that have been brought over from the 90's and that we should expect some basic level of unit AI, even in a game like starcraft 2. When I say basic AI, im talking about things like your own units not mercilessly murdering each other.
    Roasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Roasted
    @RsistncE: 
    Thors automatically target light-armor air units, that's decent enough AI for me. The rest is up to you, and if you want tanks not to cause friendly-AOE damage, manually order them to attack units at the back.
    The reason they attack the closest unit to you is Banelings. If they fired at the Zerglings at the back instead of the banelings at the front, you'd whine about bad AI too.

How do you want you want the AI to work in that case? never attack enemy units if your marines are next to them? what if I don't care about the marines and just want the zealots dead at all cost?
    Do you want them to auto-target Armored units first? what about Immortals? I bet you don't want them targeted... 
    If Banelings automatically targeted marines and Helions only fired at the line which causes maximum damage, this game would require much less skill.
    mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mshaw006
    @RsistncE: You're gonna have to either deal with it or not use tanks. That's all there really is to it.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @RsistncE said:
    "  It's nonsensical and it would be solved by the basic parameter that units don't fire on one another unless given the order to do so. Such a simple request that makes so much sense on it's own I think. "
     There is no maybe about it. Those marines have had a criminal past and the guy behind the tank has a criminal past as well.   

Seeing as its the splash damage thats the friendly fire, what you're asking is for the marines to die off by themselves while the tanks sit back and watch. If that happened, somebody else could use that example of poor AI as well which is nonsensical because when the army units finish off the marines, they will just rush up to the tanks, which still cannot fire because there is a minimum range.  
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RsistncE
    @Roasted: I'm saying that your units should NEVER commit to an attack that will cause friendly fire unless you explicitly tell them to do so. It makes a million times more sense than your units automatically defaulting to an attack order that means dumping damage on friendly units. 

If there are banelings at a range that won't case friendly fire then your tanks should attack. If banelings get in splash damage range of your marines then they should't attack. It's simple and it makes sense. If zealots close the gap then the tanks shouldn't attack unless you TELL them to do so. I'm basically just asking for a reverse in attack order, that friendly fire should not be the default attack position of all units. 

@mshaw006: That doesn't make a poor game design choice any less poor.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By imsh_pl
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    "  It's nonsensical and it would be solved by the basic parameter that units don't fire on one another unless given the order to do so. Such a simple request that makes so much sense on it's own I think. "
     There is no maybe about it. Those marines have had a criminal past and the guy behind the tank has a criminal past as well.    Seeing as its the splash damage thats the friendly fire, what you're asking is for the marines to die off by themselves while the tanks sit back and watch. If that happened, somebody else could use that example of poor AI as well which is nonsensical because when the army units finish off the marines, they will just rush up to the tanks, which still cannot fire because there is a minimum range.   "
    No, I think what he's trying to say is that you should at least have an option to choose a "stance" (something like hold position, "stop", patrol, etc.) in which your units won't attack enemy units if they can deal friendly fire. So instead of attacking enemy units no matter what, they would try to not damage their own units no matter what.

I think that would actually be a pretty good idea.
    Roasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Roasted
    @RsistncE: 
    Picutre this scenario: 20 zealots with zealot charge. you got 10 marines and 10 tanks.
    According to your logic, tanks shouldn't attack when the zealots close the gap...  so basically your tanks don't fire until all the marines are dead. Then the zealots charge on the tanks. The tanks don't fire again, since AOE will harm other tanks. All your units are now dead. 
    So your only choice is to order the tanks to attack the zealots, right? good luck trying to micro 10 tanks separately without overkill.
    (Did you know the tank's AI won't allow 3 tanks to fire at the same unit if it's an overkill? for example firing at a Zergling)
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @imsh_pl said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @RsistncE said:
     There is no maybe about it. Those marines have had a criminal past and the guy behind the tank has a criminal past as well.    Seeing as its the splash damage thats the friendly fire, what you're asking is for the marines to die off by themselves while the tanks sit back and watch. If that happened, somebody else could use that example of poor AI as well which is nonsensical because when the army units finish off the marines, they will just rush up to the tanks, which still cannot fire because there is a minimum range.   "
    No, I think what he's trying to say is that you should at least have an option to choose a "stance" (something like hold position, "stop", patrol, etc.) in which your units won't attack enemy units if they can deal friendly fire. So instead of attacking enemy units no matter what, they would try to not damage their own units no matter what.  I think that would actually be a pretty good idea. "
    Well the tanks don't do AOE damage unless the user puts them in "siege mode" to begin with. 
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By imsh_pl
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @imsh_pl said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    No, I think what he's trying to say is that you should at least have an option to choose a "stance" (something like hold position, "stop", patrol, etc.) in which your units won't attack enemy units if they can deal friendly fire. So instead of attacking enemy units no matter what, they would try to not damage their own units no matter what.  I think that would actually be a pretty good idea. "
    Well the tanks don't do AOE damage unless the user puts them in "siege mode" to begin with.  "
    Yeah but an additional stance could be added so that units'(all units, not only tanks) priority would be to not attack their units by default, as opposed to their priority being to attack enemy units by default.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @imsh_pl: still a bad idea due to: 

@Roasted said:
    " @RsistncE:  Picutre this scenario: 20 zealots with zealot charge. you got 10 marines and 10 tanks. According to your logic, tanks shouldn't attack when the zealots close the gap...  so basically your tanks don't fire until all the marines are dead. Then the zealots charge on the tanks. The tanks don't fire again, since AOE will harm other tanks. All your units are now dead.  So your only choice is to order the tanks to attack the zealots, right? good luck trying to micro 10 tanks separately without overkill.(Did you know the tank's AI won't allow 3 tanks to fire at the same unit if it's an overkill? for example firing at a Zergling) "

And the thing is, the splash damage isn't as painful as being the main target, so if you're entire front line dies "because of splash damage", then there was no way they would have survived if the tanks had provided no support fire at all. 
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By audiosnag
    @RsistncE: 
    I dunno man I get your point but it sounds like this just isn't your game. Tank splash damage has been a part of the game since Brood War and it's something you work into your strategy on either side. You have to think about placement and unit composition to minimize possible splash damage whereas the other guy if he gets tough melee units up in your face can turn that damage back on you.
    Just part of the game, it's like saying "I wish my units would jump out of a medivac before it dies, it doesn't make sense that they'd just sit there and wait to blow up."
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By imsh_pl
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @imsh_pl: still a bad idea due to: 

@Roasted said:
    " @RsistncE:  Picutre this scenario: 20 zealots with zealot charge. you got 10 marines and 10 tanks. According to your logic, tanks shouldn't attack when the zealots close the gap...  so basically your tanks don't fire until all the marines are dead. Then the zealots charge on the tanks. The tanks don't fire again, since AOE will harm other tanks. All your units are now dead.  So your only choice is to order the tanks to attack the zealots, right? good luck trying to micro 10 tanks separately without overkill.(Did you know the tank's AI won't allow 3 tanks to fire at the same unit if it's an overkill? for example firing at a Zergling) "
      And the thing is, the splash damage isn't as painful as being the main target, so if you're entire front line dies "because of splash damage", then there was no way they would have survived if the tanks had provided no support fire at all.  "
    I never asked to change hold position so that it would never damage your own units, I simply said it would be a good idea to have an additional option and let the player choose.

That way you can be happy, since you said that tanks' priority should be to damage incoming enemy units (so you could use hold position right as it is used now), and he can be happy since he thinks that the tanks' priority should be to not deal friendly fire (so he would choose the alternative option if he wished to).
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't feel like any of this is helping the OP at all. Maybe we should create a thread about Siege Tanks and leave this one for people to actually give advice? I mean, ResistncE just kind of came in here and started complaining about the basic mechanics of the game (which I don't think the OP was looking for) and de-railed the whole thread with a silly argument that has become even more silly as it has gone on.

As for the OP, there are no hard and fast rules anyone can give you, a lot of Starcraft is watching games and learning yourself. Someone talking you through stuff can be helpful, but not as helpful as watching them do it as they tapk you through it. Go watch Husky or Day9, they are incredibly helpful.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @imsh_pl: creating an additional stance for just one unit, when its been proven that any player with decent micro skills wouldn't have that problem because they can place their units in a way that the default AI script has the least casualty for max damage? Looks like you should just learn to play or, simply not. 
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By imsh_pl
    @StaticFalconar: I just wanted to have a healthy discussion, but I kinda stopped bothering after seeing the learn to play "argument".
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Turambar

So, from what I can gather, the complaint is "the AI does not act realistically."  That is pretty fucking hilarious.  Nydus worms can burrow through space onto other orbital platforms.  Banshees are helicopters, but somehow manage to fly in space.  Did I just blow your mind?  There is nothing "realistic" about the game.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By frankxiv

yo, slapfights aside, if you're playing team games, don't even worry about it, eventually it will just come naturally from experience. 

i started out playing some 3v3s with friends, but they got discouraged from losses after about the 5th one, and not wanting to try to get better they just went back to playing 360. then i picked a race and started doing 1v1s, and played a ton of those, learned hotkeys, got a basic build down, and finally started racking up more wins than losses. then, i tried 2v2 with someone i met on ladder, and i swear it's like i was starting the game all over again, most of what i learned in 1v1 was wrong, or irrelevant, and a good half of the players just do the fastest rush to one of your teammates, and then it's an uphill battle if they don't finish you off too.

if you got it to play with your friends chances are they're at least on your level, or can carry you while you figure stuff out. if one of them is like way good just ask them what do do at the start of the game in ally chat. if they know anything about playing the game they will understand that picking it up day 1 you're not going to be playing at masters level and know everything. 

a good idea is to have a gameplan going in like if you really like to defend, pick terran, get some bunkers filled with marines, some siege tanks, and some missile turrets, not just your base but your allies as well. or if you're not comfortable making tech units yet, just get the bunkers and marines, and make more bases to mine from. just mine and mine and feed your better friends resources. play some vs the ai first to familiarize yourself with your race and what buildings you need to make to get what units.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Roasted said:

What is it with you trolls? Apparently a guy can't appreciate a piece of game art without getting labeled as a fanboy of that game. Just to clear something up for you: I dislike Call of Duty and where it took the series from 4 onwards. Additionally I played sc bw a lot back in the day...the problem was that was 1998. It's 2011 now. It's pathetic when your own units have absolutely no AI and as a result can and will actually kill your own units. It's piss poor game design masked under the guise of "IT REQUIRES MICRO AND SKILL YOU NOOB LAWL". "
    OHGOD PLEASE KEEP POSTING 
    This is gonna be hilarious.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Turambar

More on topic, since you're playing team games, keep these two ideas in your mind always.  Always keep your armies together if possible.  Always split the opponent armies apart if possible.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Thule
    @Turambar said:
    " So, from what I can gather, the complaint is "the AI does not act realistically."  That is pretty fucking hilarious.  Nydus worms can burrow through space onto other orbital platforms.  Banshees are helicopters, but somehow manage to fly in space.  Did I just blow your mind?  There is nothing "realistic" about the game. "
    When my Tanks kill my Marines I should be able to build a Courthouse building in-game so I can court-martial them for murder.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @imsh_pl: there was nothing healthy in what you said. What you were asking for was a real pipe dream of what ifs and thens.  A healthy discussion would have been talking about the microing required to get around that and how feasible it would be to learn that if you don't know it.  Don't wanna learn it? Go support some other game that has what you want, cause ultimately money talks.

@supermike6: You know just about every month we get some thread like this right? the OP would help himself a lot more if he used the search option, on google, since there's more then enough resources for what he wants already. 
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By imsh_pl
    @StaticFalconar said:

" @imsh_pl: there was nothing healthy in what you said.  What you were asking for was a real pipe dream of what ifs and thens."

Luckily that's only your opinion.

A healthy discussion would have been talking about the microing required to get around that and how feasible it would be to learn that if you don't know it.  

What makes you think I didn't want to talk about that?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @imsh_pl: cause you were going on and on about options that wasn't there and how it could have helped others if it had been there. Almost like a pipe dream of what ifs and thens.  

EDIT: all the what ifs in the world, doesn't help anybody and as such isn't healthy at all. 
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By imsh_pl
    @StaticFalconar: Well... yeah, I was talking about an option that wasn't there and how it could help others if it was there.

Is this not a discussion? We were just talking about ways how the game could be changed, and we were discussing its advantages and disadvantages.

You could've easily asked me "but what do you think about how much micro is required to prevent your units from taking damage? Maybe it's not actually that much?", which I would've happily answered, but instead you decided to write "you don't know the game, learn to play".

Also, the "What if... ?" question has lead to every invention on the planet.
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By nukesniper
    @RTSlord said:
    " make more marines. they solve almost every problem lol "
    Use more skill. 

However, honestly, I just played with a friend for a while. We did comp stomps and then eventually 1v1 games. Once you feel comfortable with how the game works and you understand you favorite race (I recommend you find one you like), look up build orders and videos online. You will learn a lot from that and will find a noticeable increase in your performance in games, at least until you run into people who counter you. And, hopefully, everything will start to unravel for you. I'm not extraordinary, but I have fun competitively from time to time. At this point, losing usually involves me seeing that I should have worked faster to counter those Void Rays or something. 
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RsistncE
    @Turambar said:
    " So, from what I can gather, the complaint is "the AI does not act realistically."  That is pretty fucking hilarious.  Nydus worms can burrow through space onto other orbital platforms.  Banshees are helicopters, but somehow manage to fly in space.  Did I just blow your mind?  There is nothing "realistic" about the game. "
    Never said that at all even once, what I asked for was the ability to at least set your units to a default position of not dishing out friendly fire because that is more logical. 

@StaticFalconar said:
    " @imsh_pl: creating an additional stance for just one unit, when its been proven that any player with decent micro skills wouldn't have that problem because they can place their units in a way that the default AI script has the least casualty for max damage? Looks like you should just learn to play or, simply not.  "
    Wow, here comes the "learn to play argument." How hard would it be to allow players to set default unit attack option? Not hard. Arguing against it is old school Starcraft elitism pretty much.@audiosnag said:
    " @RsistncE:  I dunno man I get your point but it sounds like this just isn't your game. Tank splash damage has been a part of the game since Brood War and it's something you work into your strategy on either side. You have to think about placement and unit composition to minimize possible splash damage whereas the other guy if he gets tough melee units up in your face can turn that damage back on you. Just part of the game, it's like saying "I wish my units would jump out of a medivac before it dies, it doesn't make sense that they'd just sit there and wait to blow up." "
    I actually don't know how to respond to this: you're completely right with that medivac part. I guess there are always going to be game mechanics that will bother certain people at the end of the day but I guess all that matters is that I have fun with Starcraft 2 when I play with friends.@Roasted said:
    This in on way invalidates my argument for adding the OPTION of setting how your units will or will not deal out friendly fire.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#50  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Roasted said:

There's built in unit priority. What more do you want? The computer to read your mind. "Oh, you want to attack this." 

SCV's autorepair, banelings auto unburrow, workers auto split, tanks don't overkill things, what's the issue? 

If tanks didn't do splash to friendly fire they'd be ridiculously OP. That's how you beat tanks. You either kill them with air units or you figure out a way to get on top of them (Blink, viking land, charge, drop, MULE, etc.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.