Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

State of the Game discussion thread

• 108 results
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By audiosnag

I'm surprised one of these hasn't been made already.
    Anyway...
    Anyone listen to the latest episode? Holy arguments batman. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually am gonna have to side with Idra over Day 9. All his stuff about being unable to kill a Toss deathball and how Toss and Terran players are crap but can win was obvious garbage but his points about Zerg having a lack of options early game and having a harder time scouting were pretty valid, and as much as I love Day 9 he really didn't have anything substantial to come back with aside from "I don't understand what that means." It was pretty interesting.

Tyler's super awesome I love that guy but man some of the stuff he was saying...I think he shoulda just admitted he said some things he maybe shouldn't have and moved on. Even though I don't really agree with what he and Jinro were saying in that thread I understand why they were saying it and why Liquid declined. Turning it personal though and saying Colby was being deceptive was a bit much. And the whole "The forums are a place where nothing but free speech is acceptable" was a little crazy.

What do you guys think?

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By raiz265

Listened today at work... I think especially the 2nd discussion was a case of "Shit that guy's right, but I ain't gonna give him that!". Tyler kinda seemed to be out of good arguments and went on pulling pretty wonky stuff out of his arse. While I still think he had a point to begin with, he took it way too serious and totally blew it out of propotion.

As for Day9... idk... He never was a guy (in sc2, no idea about bw) who really talked about imbalance. In his position it would be a pretty "dangerous" thing to do imho, so he just goes on by the philosophy of his dailies and tells people to try stuff out. He's like one of the biggest community-figures in SC2 and if he starts to say "O M F G PROTOSS IS SOOO IMBA!" this would launch a shitstorm of monstrous proportions in the community :D
    He's kinda like the David Kim outside of Blizzard.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

Downloading now.  Kinda surprised if things heat up.  Day9 was teasing Idra a few weeks back, didn't think there'd be any animosity there.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By audiosnag
    @raiz265:
    Yeah i pretty much agree with both of those points. Tyler just seemed like he was grasping for arguments to make. I never really thought of that re. Day 9 but that makes sense. I just think the way the discussion went he also sounded like he was struggling to come up with something to respond with. Then Nick came on and sided with Idra haha.

@csl316:
    It didn't really get too heated between Day and Idra just sorta a discussion that went on for a while without really going anywhere. Geoff and Tyler on the other hand...oh my.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By csl316
    @audiosnag: Did it feature any uncomfortable, nervous chuckling from the other guys as the discussion went on?

Just got finished downloading, woo *listens*
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnag
    @csl316:
    Oh it went past the point of nervous chuckling. Pretty much silence from everyone except Geoff, Greg and Tyler.
    It's a pretty entertaining episode.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csl316

sweet

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thule

I haven't listened to it yet, but it sounds familiar so I think I can say something.

I'd agree with Idra when he says that Zerg as a race is the least fleshed out. Some of their units are of questionable value/usefullness and they generally suffer from the other races' cheese/all-ins. However, I'd agree with Day9 that the game is still young and we shouldn't start shouting imbalance immediately when things go wrong. As a player you should generally first start to look at yourself and find the flaws in your own play, before something might be considered overpowered.

Idra tends to rage pretty quickly rather than analyze his own play/himself too much. He also tends to defeat himself most of the time. Geoff mentioned in one of the earlier SotG's that Idra kinda has an attitude problem(they were talking about the game where Idra ragequit when he saw a hallucinated Voidray) which causes him to basically already give up before the game has truly ended yet.

It doesn't really mean anything for players below the Grandmaster level. Maybe imbalance is noticeable to players of such a high level, but if you're below that, there's always something you can improve upon that has nothing to do with the balance of the game.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jimi

The best point idra had was how unscoutable terran and protoss are for a zerg once marines or stalkers get out, at least that was the one that made the most sense to me. The amount of games I have lost to 6 gate timing pushes when I thought they were simply expanding is rediculous. Same thing goes for terran, just put some marines on the borders of your base and you can do whatever the hell you want.

Also the Geoff vs Tyler arguement started going in circles fast which was a bit irritating.

Very entertaining show though.
    Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Spectreman

Great episode of State of Crying.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By audiosnag

Idra's big problem is he shoots himself in the foot by doing stuff like calling other players bad ie. Kiwi, and making definite statements "this is like this and that's just how it is" I think people start tuning him out.
    I almost think he's doing it on purpose to build up drama.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Turambar

Idra definitely did seem to be holding a bit of a grudge considering he was pulling out something Day9 mentioned last week when Idra had another rant on Zerg imba, that he is "unable to take discussions of imbalance this early on in the life of a game seriously, and devolves into trolling".

I can agree with Idra to a point, that zerg does have a disadvantage early game with a lack of early scouting options.  However the fact that he continues to wrap all his points in this disgusting idea that when protoss and terrans win, its someone winning against "the better player who deserves to win", or that all SC1 players deserve to win over new players, make it difficult for me to take anything he has to say seriously in the end, regardless their actual merit.

SelkciPlum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SelkciPlum

Kiwikeekee.

Also, Texan brain.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By csl316

I gotta say that I miss the old incontrol, before he started worrying about everything he says being taken the wrong way.

On the early podcasts, he was funny as hell and such a pain in the ass.  Now it seems like so much of what he says is preceded by "well, the fanboys are gonna take this the wrong way.  expect 100 page TL thread."

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar
    @csl316 said:
    " I gotta say that I miss the old incontrol, before he started worrying about everything he says being taken the wrong way.On the early podcasts, he was funny as hell and such a pain in the ass.  Now it seems like so much of what he says is preceded by "well, the fanboys are gonna take this the wrong way.  expect 100 page TL thread." "
    I don't think that particular side of him has changed that much, as much as I miss him talking about the origins of artosis from the primordial pools of sludge.  He just hasn't found an opportunity to insert some of the banner for the last few SOTGs as they've had a lot more rather contentious arguments.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By audiosnag
    @csl316: Well he's the face of a league now I think that probably comes with some responsibilities. Plus I think he was sick of getting trashed by nerds for saying something people didn't agree with. He's not totally in business man mode though, him calling Tyler a dumb motherfucker was pretty damn funny.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Jeffsekai

This was the first State of the Game I have listened too, was pretty good. Had lots of good jokes and the actual discussions were great. Idra was totally right and Day[9] was being retarded. I feel bad for Tyler tho, I totally understand what he was trying to say and while I don't really know if I agree or disagree I felt like InControll and Idra were missing the point.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By csl316
    @Turambar:@audiosnag:
      And the girls and horses thing was pretty recent, too.  I guess he seems more politically correct but the personality is still there.  Guess I was thinking that since I've seen him more on the NASL now than anything else.  And there's no room there for "Well, I've done some thinking. And I've decided that even though the world is filled with injustices, there must be one man to rise above the rest.  TotalBiscuit!  This is Shoutcraft, TotalBiscuit!"
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ben_H  Online

I'm a huge Tyler fan (I watch his stream constantly and have adapted literally the almost same style as him, overly safe and whatnot) but he looked really bad in that argument.  His suggestion that people should not post things if they have an agenda is an impossibility because EVERYONE has an agenda, whether they realize it or not.  Incontrol easily pointed out that flaw by bringing up Tyler's sponsorship.  I read the thread they were talking about and TL went on the offensive immediately, while the EG PR guy didn't really do anything.  I can understand Liquid wanting it explained why they weren't in the tournament but how it was handled in that thread was baaaad.

Day9 was totally right but Idra's aggressive arguing made it look as though Day9 lost.  Day said you cannot discuss balance without examples to analyze, and when you are not in a neutral mood, of which Idra obviously was not in.  I'm not saying Idra was wrong (scouting is a pain, I was playing Zerg tonight and definitely noticed that), but how he wanted to discuss it was not good in any way or would not lead to any actual discussion.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spectreman

No Caption Provided
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By audiosnag
    @Ben_H said:
    " I'm a huge Tyler fan (I watch his stream constantly and have adapted literally the almost same style as him, overly safe and whatnot) but he looked really bad in that argument.  His suggestion that people should not post things if they have an agenda is an impossibility because EVERYONE has an agenda, whether they realize it or not.  Incontrol easily pointed out that flaw by bringing up Tyler's sponsorship.  I read the thread they were talking about and TL went on the offensive immediately, while the EG PR guy didn't really do anything.  I can understand Liquid wanting it explained why they weren't in the tournament but how it was handled in that thread was baaaad.Day9 was totally right but Idra's aggressive arguing made it look as though Day9 lost.  Day said you cannot discuss balance without examples to analyze, and when you are not in a neutral mood, of which Idra obviously was not in.  I'm not saying Idra was wrong (scouting is a pain, I was playing Zerg tonight and definitely noticed that), but how he wanted to discuss it was not good in any way or would not lead to any actual discussion. "
    At the very least though he could have given some sorta example to back up what he was saying. Ideally a calm reasonable discussion is optimal but that's not always gonna be possible. I think it's definitely possible to discuss early Zerg options without going into extensive detail and taking forever to analyze thousands of games. I just don't think Day 9 had any other response.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DystopiaX

I don't think Idra was right, but I do think he articulated his argument a lot better.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aetheldod
    @audiosnag: Were can I hear/see this?
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By audiosnag
    @Aetheldod: It's on the latest episode of State of the Game. I always get it through itunes in the podcast section. I think there's a vod of the stream just not sure where. Probably on JP's channel.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Donos
    @audiosnag said:

" @Ben_H said:

" I'm a huge Tyler fan (I watch his stream constantly and have adapted literally the almost same style as him, overly safe and whatnot) but he looked really bad in that argument.  His suggestion that people should not post things if they have an agenda is an impossibility because EVERYONE has an agenda, whether they realize it or not.  Incontrol easily pointed out that flaw by bringing up Tyler's sponsorship.  I read the thread they were talking about and TL went on the offensive immediately, while the EG PR guy didn't really do anything.  I can understand Liquid wanting it explained why they weren't in the tournament but how it was handled in that thread was baaaad.Day9 was totally right but Idra's aggressive arguing made it look as though Day9 lost.  Day said you cannot discuss balance without examples to analyze, and when you are not in a neutral mood, of which Idra obviously was not in.  I'm not saying Idra was wrong (scouting is a pain, I was playing Zerg tonight and definitely noticed that), but how he wanted to discuss it was not good in any way or would not lead to any actual discussion. "

At the very least though he could have given some sorta example to back up what he was saying. Ideally a calm reasonable discussion is optimal but that's not always gonna be possible. I think it's definitely possible to discuss early Zerg options without going into extensive detail and taking forever to analyze thousands of games. I just don't think Day 9 had any other response. "
    I don't see why people think Idra wasn't calm enough for a discussion. What it sounds like to me is the following: Discussing balance without any data to back it up is obviously pointless. Idra, having played this game professionally for so long, feels he has this data and is therefore justified in discussing balance. Of course he can't beam replays out of his eyes as would be needed to prove this knowledge, but he knows what he knows. Day9 obviously does not have as much data (how could he?), and would be sloppy to just take someone's word for it, so he does not want to discuss balance unless someone can put that data in front of him.

There's nothing really surprising here. You can have an informal discussion and trust that both parties know what they're talking about, or you can have a formal discussion, prove everything, and take a whole lot more time. Neither system is wrong, but they require different people in different circumstances than Day9 and Idra on a webcammed podcast.
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By baldgye

The problem I have with what IdrA says isn't that what he is saying is wrong, its more becasue it perpetuates the idea that Zerg is weak and that the only reason Zerg players loose games is bacasue T and P are super OP compared to Z when in actual fact 99% of the time the reason Zerg's loose is becasue they suck, or becasue the fucked up.

I play as Protoss and every game I play vs Zerg and win I get raged at becasue there is this idea that Protoss are imba, which is just wrong.

The reason I side with Day9 over IdrA is because atm the only level at which there is even a hint of imbalance is at the very top end, and even then most games are won/loss due to errors in play rather than OMGDATDEATHBALLSOIMBA. The game is too young for it the be out right imbalanced in that sense its just that zergs havn't really found a way to deal with it very well yet.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raiz265
    Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shibbxyz

The idea Idra is trying to put forward is that in the early game an army for the Zerg is unable to do much damage or aggression (without being an all in) and would set a zerg severely behind in economy, while 

for the Terren and Protoss they can have an early army and be aggressive without sacrificing any economy at all. 
    The problem also comes when a Zerg doesn't make an army there is no way to scout a good Terren or Protoss due to the wall in and early anti air units to prevent overlord scouting 
    and so when a Terren and Protoss do attack there is very little time to react and get up the proper counters as the Zerg base is open and spines take forever to build,
    For Terren and Protoss there base is walled off and have a small army being built along with there scv's and probes so always have something to hold off aggression.

Spanishiwa's build does a lot for the Zerg as it sacrifices map control by not getting early ling speed and gives a good defence with premeptive spines and more queens than usualy for transfuse and anti air
    with an early lair also there is more tech choice early game allowing for overseer scouting and such, but idra won't accept it 
    which is a shame cause it is a great all purpose build and is hard to break early game. The only real counter is when the opponent also decides to go mass economy.

I believe Idra does have a point and also believe Day[9] to want to stay neutral with everyone on balance so neglects to input anything and just pretends to have no understanding and believes there are more things to try
    Which is damn true cause Nestea just showed us something new and game changing and the games been out for a pretty long time now.
    The advantage Terren and Protoss is they can make a bigger risk in the early game such as teching to voids or banshees and not be open to an attack or set them selves back in economy

Thats my 2 cents

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cataphract1014

Why do Zerg complain about scouting when protoss are in the same boat?

You can get a liar at the same time we have a robo or hallucinate.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Donos
    @baldgye: I don't want to be a douche, but you should really try to include some facts and reasoning with your sweeping generalizations.

@Cataphract1014:
      Worker/infantry scouting before anyone has air units (or in zerg's case, air units fast enough to not die before getting any vision). Protoss and Terran can wall off pretty easily and do, but Zerg can't. So, unlike the other races, Zerg is stuck in the dark for several minutes in the early->mid game transition.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By csl316

Finally listened.  Thought the Idra/Day9 debate had some validity.

But the Tyler thing... hot damn, what a stupid fucking argument.  I haven't seen the thread, but all the guy said was they declined?  Jesus.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By baldgye
    @Donos said:
    " @baldgye: I don't want to be a douche, but you should really try to include some facts and reasoning with your sweeping generalizations.

What 'facts' do you want?
    Look @ the CodeA games from past seasons, artosis and taistless mock the codeA players and there poor decisions, and these are CodeA players we are talking about, if players at that level make such large and numerous errors then how can anyone at that level or below even think to start questioning balance when they make consistantly large errors?

And I don't have much evidence of Zerg players raging @ me becasue the last 1v1 ladder games where all PvP and I don't save replays of games I win.
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Idra was saying that it is easier for bad players to do well with Terran and Protoss, not that bad Terran and Protoss players are winning everything.  MC is obviously very good, and Idra wouldn't deny that(I'd list some Terrans, but MC has been winning everything lately.  Perhaps Thorzane will win TSL3).  What that really means is that Zerg not as forgiving and has less options as Terran and Protoss, which is true.  Zerg has the least number of units, Tier 3 Zerg units can't attack air and are easily hard countered, a lack of viable scouting in the early to mid game, the main macro mechanic(larva inject) can't be missed, and Zerg has to have the perfect response to early/mid attacks(defending an attack and having a bunch of units left over or building too many spines is really bad).  The success Cruncher has had with his Turtle on 3 bases until 200, then A move to victory is what Idra was talking about.  He didn't show that he has top level skills.  He showed that he can turtle on 3 bases until he maxes out.

Of course people of all levels lose games because of mistakes they made.  Nobody is perfect.  Idra even acknowledged that when Tyler brought it up.   Zerg is designed to be the defensive race, but without the ability to see what is coming Zerg can't properly respond.  It is a guessing game in the beginning.

As for the Tyler thing, I haven't read the thread on TL.  But in general I agree with EG's choice to not say TL whole side.  The only people that have the right and responsibility to speak for TL are TL.  It would be presumptuous for EG to tell TL's side.  

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Turambar

I think my biggest issue with what Tyler said has to do with something he also said a few weeks earlier after MLG.  It was on the topic of the autograph session that TLO had, and the immense number of fans he had over the Halo counterparts.  He called for fans, even if they had no interest in the autographs, or the players, and was going to throw it away after wards to participate and show support for SC2's popularity.  To champion fans acting against their own interests for the sake of an agenda and then despise the actual pros and teams doing the same when much higher things are at stake (corporate sponsorships and relationships between teams) is just such a degree of hypocrisy. 

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Donos
    @baldgye:  Certainly there are plenty of things most Zerg players could do to be more successful, just like there are for Terran and Protoss players. You have not explained how this precludes discussion of the specific topic of Zerg scouting and defense in the early->mid game against a walled-in Terran or Protoss. If you require absolute perfection in all aspects before any discussion can take place, then they might as well shut this forum down because you'll never get it. Following your argument to its logical conclusion, there must be some mistake all Zergs are making which prevents their drone from walking through buildings, their overlords from dying on the edge of the base, or from making an efficient wall of their own.

The sticking point in the State of the Game discussion was that there could be some unknown strategy which will solve this problem for Zerg. Unfortunately, that's always the case for any race in any situation, and it's entirely possible that  with the current mechanics, this magic strategy doesn't exist at all. Do you really blame players for pursuing every possible resolution to this problem, rather than assuming the game must be mechanically perfect and restricting themselves to it?
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

toss is OP that is all

Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By Hardgamer
    @Spectreman said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Who are they?
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer

The whole Idra/Day[9] thing wasn't really an argument since they were making largely unrelated points.

But man... wtf is up with Tyler. It was clear he was seeing red and had developed tunnel vision. Still, it was a fun episode.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By baldgye
    @Donos said:

" @baldgye:  Certainly there are plenty of things most Zerg players could do to be more successful, just like there are for Terran and Protoss players. You have not explained how this precludes discussion of the specific topic of Zerg scouting and defense in the early->mid game against a walled-in Terran or Protoss. If you require absolute perfection in all aspects before any discussion can take place, then they might as well shut this forum down because you'll never get it. Following your argument to its logical conclusion, there must be some mistake all Zergs are making which prevents their drone from walking through buildings, their overlords from dying on the edge of the base, or from making an efficient wall of their own. The sticking point in the State of the Game discussion was that there could be some unknown strategy which will solve this problem for Zerg. Unfortunately, that's always the case for any race in any situation, and it's entirely possible that  with the current mechanics, this magic strategy doesn't exist at all. Do you really blame players for pursuing every possible resolution to this problem, rather than assuming the game must be mechanically perfect and restricting themselves to it? "

What league are you in?
    As from the Zergs I've played against in gold/plat (1v1) the best method of scouting is to send in an overlord @ the 5min mark and use lings to have map control in the early game.

But like I said, unless your top of the line in terms of skill level it really dsn't matter that much because everything else you are doing, your not doing properly... to cobble together an extreme example, alot of bronze legue players complain about muta's becasue they keep them totally contained... but (assuming your not in bronze) you and I both know that muta's arn't imba and that bronze people shouldn't even think about balance when they can't even get the mechanics even close to right let alone good.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Thule

After listening to the episode finally, I can go into a little more depth.

I would've liked to have the people on SotG actually debate Idra's points. He was the only one actually making an argument. The others were just saying they didn't have enough information to discuss it(Day9, which is a fina stance to take, no issue with that) or ignoring/dismissing Idra(Incontrol, Tyler).
    I don't neccesarily think Idra was correct, but I would've liked to have an actual debate on the podcast with some back and forth arguments. I understand it's kinda a non-serious show, but having a nice discussion would be nice sometimes.

Tyler's issue was complete garbage. If he really calls out a guy for posting a fact on the TL forums claiming it's deceptive then he owes that guy an apology.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Donos
    @baldgye:  I was in platinum for Zerg before I switched to Terran, though I don't see how it's relevant to a discussion of game mechanics. As for sending in an overlord at 5 minutes, that won't work against a  competent Terran or Protoss opponent, since their starting units shoot air and it costs nothing to patrol the edge of their base with the units they already have, and position tech structures away from the edges. To overcome this, you have to dump 100 minerals and 50 gas (after getting an early Lair) to accomplish the same scouting an opponent could do by just running a worker directly into your base. Meanwhile map control is irrelevant, since you cannot control the part of the map we're worried about, ie their base. The ability of Protoss and Terran to win without map control is the other half of the discussion, but not one I know enough about to discuss here.

Both your examples are of players making mistakes to which there are known solutions. The issue we're talking about here doesn't have a known solution and it looks like there may be no solution at all, hence this discussion.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ben_H  Online
    @Donos said:
    " @baldgye:  I was in platinum for Zerg before I switched to Terran, though I don't see how it's relevant to a discussion of game mechanics. As for sending in an overlord at 5 minutes, that won't work against a  competent Terran or Protoss opponent, since their starting units shoot air and it costs nothing to patrol the edge of their base with the units they already have, and position tech structures away from the edges. To overcome this, you have to dump 100 minerals and 50 gas (after getting an early Lair) to accomplish the same scouting an opponent could do by just running a worker directly into your base. Meanwhile map control is irrelevant, since you cannot control the part of the map we're worried about, ie their base. The ability of Protoss and Terran to win without map control is the other half of the discussion, but not one I know enough about to discuss here.Both your examples are of players making mistakes to which there are known solutions. The issue we're talking about here doesn't have a known solution and it looks like there may be no solution at all, hence this discussion. "
    Exactly, hence why I said I don't necessarily disagree with Idra even though I dislike his argument style.  sacrificing  slow overlords only gets you so far.  The common suggestion is to move overlord speed to hatch tech, so that it can quickly be researched early on.  You would still have to suicide an overlord but with speed there is a much better chance of getting info. I don't have any issues with this suggestion, it doesn't negatively affect the other races, and give the zerg a better chance to scout.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Donos
    @Ben_H said:

" @Donos said:

" @baldgye:  I was in platinum for Zerg before I switched to Terran, though I don't see how it's relevant to a discussion of game mechanics. As for sending in an overlord at 5 minutes, that won't work against a  competent Terran or Protoss opponent, since their starting units shoot air and it costs nothing to patrol the edge of their base with the units they already have, and position tech structures away from the edges. To overcome this, you have to dump 100 minerals and 50 gas (after getting an early Lair) to accomplish the same scouting an opponent could do by just running a worker directly into your base. Meanwhile map control is irrelevant, since you cannot control the part of the map we're worried about, ie their base. The ability of Protoss and Terran to win without map control is the other half of the discussion, but not one I know enough about to discuss here.Both your examples are of players making mistakes to which there are known solutions. The issue we're talking about here doesn't have a known solution and it looks like there may be no solution at all, hence this discussion. "

Exactly, hence why I said I don't necessarily disagree with Idra even though I dislike his argument style.  sacrificing  slow overlords only gets you so far.  The common suggestion is to move overlord speed to hatch tech, so that it can quickly be researched early on.  You would still have to suicide an overlord but with speed there is a much better chance of getting info. I don't have any issues with this suggestion, it doesn't negatively affect the other races, and give the zerg a better chance to scout. "
    The thing is, overlords are pretty beefy and, with speed, fast enough that I bet they would be able to get full scouting information without dying at all (in those early-game low unit counts). On the other hand, overlord speed is very expensive for that early in the game, enough to neuter the Zerg who bought it. Basically, I'm worried scouting would become too binary: Either you pay a heavy cost and get complete, coninuous scouting at no further cost, or you skip speed and get no vision at all. Little room for influence by either player, beyond that first purchasing decision. A nerf to balance that out would hurt drops later on, of course.

Vague secondary thing that just popped into my head: A few specific lair timings could become way more powerful. A zerg on a large map could expand, get a quick lair at one hatchery while getting overlord speed at the other, then as soon as speed pops a bunch of overlords are rushing out onto the field. When lair pops the zerg has a  creep highway to the opponent's base. Depending how the exact economy works out, it might be akin to the protoss 4gate or even worse since (with overlord speed) the overlords could be held back until the last second, making this quite difficult to see until it's too late.

I think you're going in the right direction, but I'd propose a safer (I think) alternative: Boost base overlord speed by enough that an overlord can get, say, 70% vision of an enemy base if taking continuous fire from a handful of stalkers or marines before dying, assuming they entered from a good spot (maybe the mineral line, or the part of the base closest to the center, rather than directly over the wall full of units). I don't think this would disrupt current builds since you're spending the same cash and losing the same overlord as before. Further, it can be more or less effective if the Zerg commits smarter positioning or more overlords to the job, and if the opponent makes a concerted effort to stop the overlord or not. The build I proposed above would be less effective since overlords would have to begin moving out much earlier, meaning an opponent could scout them out. If anyone wants to figure out the exact value for overlord speed, you could just measure out the average world-unit radius of main bases,  and multiply that by (DPS of anti-air guards minus a bit for shooting while moving / 200). If it's, I dunno, 15 world units against 4 marines, then 15 * (20/200) = 1.5. For reference, current overlord speed is about 0.47 and upgrades to about 1.87.

k, gonna stop talking about this now. Hopefully that all made sense.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ben_H  Online
    @Donos said:
    " @Ben_H said:

" @Donos said:

Exactly, hence why I said I don't necessarily disagree with Idra even though I dislike his argument style.  sacrificing  slow overlords only gets you so far.  The common suggestion is to move overlord speed to hatch tech, so that it can quickly be researched early on.  You would still have to suicide an overlord but with speed there is a much better chance of getting info. I don't have any issues with this suggestion, it doesn't negatively affect the other races, and give the zerg a better chance to scout. "
    The thing is, overlords are pretty beefy and, with speed, fast enough that I bet they would be able to get full scouting information without dying at all (in those early-game low unit counts). On the other hand, overlord speed is very expensive for that early in the game, enough to neuter the Zerg who bought it. Basically, I'm worried scouting would become too binary: Either you pay a heavy cost and get complete, coninuous scouting at no further cost, or you skip speed and get no vision at all. Little room for influence by either player, beyond that first purchasing decision. A nerf to balance that out would hurt drops later on, of course. Vague secondary thing that just popped into my head: A few specific lair timings could become way more powerful. A zerg on a large map could expand, get a quick lair at one hatchery while getting overlord speed at the other, then as soon as speed pops a bunch of overlords are rushing out onto the field. When lair pops the zerg has a  creep highway to the opponent's base. Depending how the exact economy works out, it might be akin to the protoss 4gate or even worse since (with overlord speed) the overlords could be held back until the last second, making this quite difficult to see until it's too late. I think you're going in the right direction, but I'd propose a safer (I think) alternative: Boost base overlord speed by enough that an overlord can get, say, 70% vision of an enemy base if taking continuous fire from a handful of stalkers or marines before dying, assuming they entered from a good spot (maybe the mineral line, or the part of the base closest to the center, rather than directly over the wall full of units). I don't think this would disrupt current builds since you're spending the same cash and losing the same overlord as before. Further, it can be more or less effective if the Zerg commits smarter positioning or more overlords to the job, and if the opponent makes a concerted effort to stop the overlord or not. The build I proposed above would be less effective since overlords would have to begin moving out much earlier, meaning an opponent could scout them out. If anyone wants to figure out the exact value for overlord speed, you could just measure out the average world-unit radius of main bases,  and multiply that by (DPS of anti-air guards minus a bit for shooting while moving / 200). If it's, I dunno, 15 world units against 4 marines, then 15 * (20/200) = 1.5. For reference, current overlord speed is about 0.47 and upgrades to about 1.87.k, gonna stop talking about this now. Hopefully that all made sense. "
    Yeah that makes sense.  The idea I said was just an idea I'd heard Idra say.  Obviously tweeking would need to be done with it.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Donos said:

" @baldgye: I don't want to be a douche, but you should really try to include some facts and reasoning with your sweeping generalizations.

@Cataphract1014:
      Worker/infantry scouting before anyone has air units (or in zerg's case, air units fast enough to not die before getting any vision). Protoss and Terran can wall off pretty easily and do, but Zerg can't. So, unlike the other races, Zerg is stuck in the dark for several minutes in the early->mid game transition. "

Protoss is just as in the dark.  Probes don't bypass walls either.  Zerg has complete map control for the first 6 minutes of the game.

Obs is tier 2.  We set back tech to get hallucinate.
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By baldgye
    @Donos said:
    Like someone above me stated, I play as Brotoss and if a Terran walls in, I have no way to scout there main unless I go robo or halicenate (and halicinate isn't viable if your 4gating) where as Zerg get full map control at the start of the game... Terran are the only race that actually get to pretty much scout everything (not saying its free).. but Zerg have as many options as the other races to scout... especially in the lower leagues...

...hell in the lower leagues scouting isn't really important long as your mechanics are sound.
    haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By haffy
    @baldgye said:
    " @Donos said:
    Like someone above me stated, I play as Brotoss and if a Terran walls in, I have no way to scout there main unless I go robo or halicenate (and halicinate isn't viable if your 4gating) where as Zerg get full map control at the start of the game... Terran are the only race that actually get to pretty much scout everything (not saying its free).. but Zerg have as many options as the other races to scout... especially in the lower leagues......hell in the lower leagues scouting isn't really important long as your mechanics are sound. "
    lol the differance is what each race needs to respond too. Zerg don't have anti air and we aren't making units all game long like P or T. Protoss can stop all our rushes with a wall and force fields. Terran can stop all our rushes with a wall and bunkers. What can Zerg do to stop all Protoss rushes, or to stop all Terran rushes?
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By baldgye
    @haffy said:
    " @baldgye said:
    " @Donos said:
    Like someone above me stated, I play as Brotoss and if a Terran walls in, I have no way to scout there main unless I go robo or halicenate (and halicinate isn't viable if your 4gating) where as Zerg get full map control at the start of the game... Terran are the only race that actually get to pretty much scout everything (not saying its free).. but Zerg have as many options as the other races to scout... especially in the lower leagues......hell in the lower leagues scouting isn't really important long as your mechanics are sound. "
    lol the differance is what each race needs to respond too. Zerg don't have anti air and we aren't making units all game long like P or T. Protoss can stop all our rushes with a wall and force fields. Terran can stop all our rushes with a wall and bunkers. What can Zerg do to stop all Protoss rushes, or to stop all Terran rushes? "
    Produce an ungodly amount of lings... you see it in tournaments when a zerg player gets a hint of an all in, which are usually pretty well sign-posted they will produce just silly amounts of lings and take it out and then have full map control.
    And as brotoss its not really a good idea to wall in vs P or T becasue it just means ur wall in will get sniped by what ever all-in the opp does.

But personally I just don't think that really anyone out there can really call out a race as inbalanced just because a really vocal pro player says that it is.... hell MVP was in an interview about a week or so ago saying that he thinks that terran are the weakest race... balance isn't the deciding factor in why people are loosing games, so why bother making out like its a big deal and acting like zerg have a handycap?

It's like Incontrol said to IdrA during the show, IdrA thinks that zerg is the weakest race in sc2, which race does he play? IdrA also thought that Terran were the weakest in BW, and which race did he play?
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By imsh_pl
    @baldgye said:

Produce an ungodly amount of lings... you see it in tournaments when a zerg player gets a hint of an all in, which are usually pretty well sign-posted they will produce just silly amounts of lings and take it out and then have full map control.

That's the thing... they are not well sign-posted. You get one ling up his ramp and see a gateway and a cyber core at the front, and a zealot guarding the choke. You try to squeeze an overlord in, but they have 2 stalkers patroling the edges of their base.

All you know from this is that your opponent has two stalkers, a zealot, a gateway and a cyber core. You have to determine if he's going, say, 2 gate robo and an early colossi attack, 4 gate all in or 3 gate expand. Good luck.

And as brotoss its not really a good idea to wall in vs P or T becasue it just means ur wall in will get sniped by what ever all-in the opp does.But personally I just don't think that really anyone out there can really call out a race as inbalanced just because a really vocal pro player says that it is.... hell MVP was in an interview about a week or so ago saying that he thinks that terran are the weakest race...

People are not saying that "zerg is the weakest because IdrA said so", they're making logical claims based on how the game works. The fact that player A says thing X doesn't make it any more or less invalid, assuming it is based on a logical conclusion.

balance isn't the deciding factor in why people are loosing games, so why bother making out like its a big deal and acting like zerg have a handycap?It's like Incontrol said to IdrA during the show, IdrA thinks that zerg is the weakest race in sc2, which race does he play? IdrA also thought that Terran were the weakest in BW, and which race did he play?

That's the case, sometimes a player can play a game perfectly, and still get killed without making any big mistakes. I remember one game from the first GSTL (I think) where a Protoss player was turtling on two base, getting a ridiculous number of colossi and void rays. His zerg opponent couldn't harass, because his opponent was on two base so he had his army in one place. The Zerg took a ton of bases - a popular thing you can do to get ahead if you see your opponent turtling - and had a huge corruptor-hydra-roach army ready for his opponent, yet he still got absolutely steam rolled (it wasn't even close).

I understand that it's hard to base the balance issue solely on games, because - as you said - almost every game is lost because one player made a mistake and there are literally hundreds of decisions made every game. However we can start the discussion with such a simple example as the zerg scouting, in which no wrong decision was made, it is literally impossible to scout.

We shouldn't focus on who started the argument and what kind of a person are they, because that changes absolutely nothing about the argument itself. You can be a terran, zerg, a bronze league player or a top grandmaster, but your argument should be only countered with different arguments.
    baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By baldgye

First off, my opinions are based on a collection of observations, I don't have just one retort to the opinion that zerg is weak becasue thats not how I form opinions.
    Another thing I would like to state is that really how can anyone make any logical claims that one race is inblanced over the other? There has never been a single game of SC2 where the two players have played totally perfectally, and there probally never will be.

Secondly I still don't understand quite why Zerg players feel its impossible to scout?
    -You have drone scouting (which is how P and T scout)
    -You have lings (which give you early map control and control of all Xel' naga towers)
    -You have overlords (which you can literally have flying around the map in the early game)
    -You have Overseers (that can move pretty quickly, they can stop production and drop spies)
    -You have creep (a thing that literally spreads across the map removing fog of war and speeds up the movement on your own units)

I don't see how in low level play where mistakes are common place and usually HUGE why a Zerg player would have a problem scouting out there opponent. This isn't me stating, or at least implying facts this is my oppinion on the state of the game, just like IdrA was expressing his own opinion.

oh and @imshl_pl

You get one ling up his ramp and see a gateway and a cyber core at the front, and a zealot guarding the choke. You try to squeeze an overlord in, but they have 2 stalkers patroling the edges of their base.

Thats called scouting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.