Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

What is your average Actions Per Minute(apm)?

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AsianSwagger
    AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AsianSwagger

I've already heard the whole debate that apm doesn't entirely matter but I'm also just curious. I typically find my apm to be around 20-30 and rarely going above 100. What about you guys?

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NoXious

My average hits around 50-60. I have a lot of moments where the current drops to 0, and then the next second I am pumping it up to 100.
    I just can't stand giving useless orders multiple times which is why I tend to have a low APM. Telling it to move once isn't going to change if I order it twice.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Normally around 140+ in a real 1v1, other than that I just be casual as fuck in custom games.  :\

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

200 + should not be on that list

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AsianSwagger
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " 200 + should not be on that list "
    Haha sorry, I wasn't sure if people ever went above 200.
    nastyace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nastyace

Those who do 200+ are those Keyboard Happy kind of players....you know....ctrl 1, this ctr 1 that, space bar space bar, click on SCV right click on mine endlessly, or whatever.....Yeah, I do practically just give orders once I have the resources, or If I have to calculate travel time and mining. :3

Currently I'm doing some runs with Ai+ 2 insanes....I already defeated 1 insane, now up ranking up for two.xD Its pretty hard though....

My APM.....80-100 per minute...sometimes it does drop to nothing....when you're established and waiting for battle cruisers to come out :3

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sixghost

I'm really confused about how APM is calculated in sc2. I've heard that it's calculated based on gametime, which is not close at all to real world time when the speed is set to 'faster'. Whenever I played Broodwar my apm was always around 200 or 205, but the last time I checked in sc2 my apm was something like 115.

I know for sure that I don't play as fast as I did in BW simply because there is just way less stuff you need to do in sc2, but it seems really weird that it would be that much lower.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

Around 75. 

@AsianSwagger said:

" @Jeffsekai said:
    " 200 + should not be on that list "
    Haha sorry, I wasn't sure if people ever went above 200. "
    People do... just no one on these forums.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rjayb89

Jesus Christ, I bet I do like 5 per minute.  I haven't touched the multiplayer aspect of the game yet.  =(

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rockanomics

I'm at a steady 6, I've touched 7 a few times but I'd like to make it up there consistently.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Thrawn1

apm doesn't matter, only timing

so says day9

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Thrawn said:
    " apm doesn't matter, only timing  so says day9 "
    lol

apm is the deciding factor in sc. apm is sc.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sixghost
    @Three0neFive said:
    " @Thrawn said:
    " apm doesn't matter, only timing  so says day9 "
    lol

apm is the deciding factor in sc. apm is sc. "

lol, have you played sc2? You can get by in diamond with like 70-80 apm. If you were talking about brood war then you would have a point, but MBS, unlimited control groups, improved pathing, auto-casting, smart-cast, etc have all been added to the game specifically to reduce things than were apm-sinks in broodwar.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Levio

APM is everything once you get your strats down.

Getting in that extra force field or storm is pretty much game in many PvP matches.  And don't get me started with zerg spawn-larvae, the giant APM sink.

If you're in diamond at 70-80, you're probably a Terran bio player.  Auto attack + stim ftw?  Though its good that new players have atleast 1 strat to learn easily.

BombaLuigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BombaLuigi

35 on average, about 160 peak... clickclickclickclickclick...

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2,698 avg.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

APM still matters, it just generally depends on the level of player you are dealing with, exactly how much it matters. Doing the general APM exercises while playing will get your hands used to doing things very fast when you need to, thats why people click spam and do things that look unnecessary early game. Its not people going "Oh hey guys look! my APM was pretty high here!" because that doesn't mean shit, its them just generally helping their hands get used to it, and it works. 

In SC2 APM is not some end all be all thing, however. It will definitely help you eventually be able to go from one thing to another much faster, as second nature, and help your muscle memory. However,  just being aware of everything going on at the map and having good timing works just fine, even if you aren't cranking out 200+ APM constantly, as Day9 has stated. Anyway, I'm mostly between C-E at different times I would say, I don't really get a chance to play all too much right now, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Whan I beat the medium KI, it was about 25.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Semition
    @sixghost said:
    "

I'm really confused about how APM is calculated in sc2. I've heard that it's calculated based on gametime, which is not close at all to real world time when the speed is set to 'faster'. Whenever I played Broodwar my apm was always around 200 or 205, but the last time I checked in sc2 my apm was something like 115.

I know for sure that I don't play as fast as I did in BW simply because there is just way less stuff you need to do in sc2, but it seems really weird that it would be that much lower.

"
    Yeah. I think people calculated that:

SC2 APM x 1.38 = Real APM.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sjupp
    @Jeffsekai: I have a friend who does something like that. He's diamond rank and just mad. It does work however.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By tebbit

I'm usually around the 170-180 mark. But then again, I'm also a compulsive clicker, just like... for no reason. Need to send a unit over there? Click twice!

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sixghost
    @Levio said:
    " APM is everything once you get your strats down.  Getting in that extra force field or storm is pretty much game in many PvP matches.  And don't get me started with zerg spawn-larvae, the giant APM sink. If you're in diamond at 70-80, you're probably a Terran bio player.  Auto attack + stim ftw?  Though its good that new players have atleast 1 strat to learn easily. "
    No, you can play just about any race with 80 apm in diamond. Zerg probably requires the most, but even that's not that bad. 
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#24  Edited By Jazz

around 40, but I'm not very good at..well anything tbh.  
    I don't quite understand how blocking off your base and amassing an army of void rays/cruisers/mutalisks can be called a strategy when all it really can be called is spamming. 
    I beginning to wonder how far bronze league firebat eta goes....it's like a black hole

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By angelkanarias

there should be a dunno choice. I don't really know where you find that out. I guess everyone else who clicked 200+ are like me.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CharlieTuna

Always at just about 50.

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AsianSwagger
    @angelkanarias said:
    " there should be a dunno choice. I don't really know where you find that out. I guess everyone else who clicked 200+ are like me. "
    During replays, there's an option to show the current and average apm of each players(hot key M).
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By angelkanarias
    @AsianSwagger: thanks for the info
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#29  Edited By StarvingGamer

Mostly I play 2v2 and 3v3 where I'm more laid back, usually hovering between 60-70 average.  When I play 1v1s I jump up to around 100-110.

devosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By devosion

APM really doesn't matter since it can vary highly depending on what state of the game your in. If your early game your APM is probably gonna be very low, like 0-30, and if your mid-game then it's probably gonna be anywhere between 40-90. APM really only hits it's high point when you are microing a battle, and macroing in your base. And that probably won't go over 150. But if your adamant about your APM then look at when it's at its lowest, and its highest, then take that as your average.

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sadisticham

Don't pay attention to it myself. I use hot keys and i win my fair share of games. That's good enough for me.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OmegaPirate

Lmao - APM = the modern days e-penis 

Seriously, watching dudes perform mindless tasks just for the sake of being able to say I HAVE HIT 20 MORE ACTIONS THAN YOU IN MY BASE SO IM SUPERIOR  
    I've been paired with many partners in quick matches that have performed mindless APM spams and criticised me for being relatively laid back - and 9 times out of 10 its those same cunts that go down first! 
    IMHO i'd rather make the few 'Actions' when they were definitely necessary - then make endless commands cos it's the leet thing to do! 

I seem to do alright simply binding command centre or replacement race hub to ctrl 1, and pumping out 1 drone/scv per build, and then ctrl grouping any defences, and unit producers, and my skirmish army, a few commands to each of those when necessary and boom. 
    SC2 does not require a stupidly high APM to be successful at, and thats even outside of a stim jacked MMM rush - that apparently is the only other option to doing it the leet 100 APM+ way - all those auto changes and 'casual friendly' improvements make all that stuff unneccesary 
    Still watching those dudes go at it on youtube videos blows my damn mind every time!

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AsianSwagger
    @OmegaPirate said:

" Lmao - APM = the modern days e-penis  Seriously, watching dudes perform mindless tasks just for the sake of being able to say I HAVE HIT 20 MORE ACTIONS THAN YOU IN MY BASE SO IM SUPERIOR  I've been paired with many partners in quick matches that have performed mindless APM spams and criticised me for being relatively laid back - and 9 times out of 10 its those same cunts that go down first! IMHO i'd rather make the few 'Actions' when they were definitely necessary - then make endless commands cos it's the leet thing to do!  I seem to do alright simply binding command centre or replacement race hub to ctrl 1, and pumping out 1 drone/scv per build, and then ctrl grouping any defences, and unit producers, and my skirmish army, a few commands to each of those when necessary and boom. SC2 does not require a stupidly high APM to be successful at, and thats even outside of a stim jacked MMM rush - that apparently is the only other option to doing it the leet 100 APM+ way - all those auto changes and 'casual friendly' improvements make all that stuff unneccesary Still watching those dudes go at it on youtube videos blows my damn mind every time! "

I agree, I don't really ever find myself needing a high APM to do well except for whenever I could of been making a couple extra workers or some units that could of helped in a fight.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @AsianSwagger said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:

" Lmao - APM = the modern days e-penis  Seriously, watching dudes perform mindless tasks just for the sake of being able to say I HAVE HIT 20 MORE ACTIONS THAN YOU IN MY BASE SO IM SUPERIOR  I've been paired with many partners in quick matches that have performed mindless APM spams and criticised me for being relatively laid back - and 9 times out of 10 its those same cunts that go down first! IMHO i'd rather make the few 'Actions' when they were definitely necessary - then make endless commands cos it's the leet thing to do!  I seem to do alright simply binding command centre or replacement race hub to ctrl 1, and pumping out 1 drone/scv per build, and then ctrl grouping any defences, and unit producers, and my skirmish army, a few commands to each of those when necessary and boom. SC2 does not require a stupidly high APM to be successful at, and thats even outside of a stim jacked MMM rush - that apparently is the only other option to doing it the leet 100 APM+ way - all those auto changes and 'casual friendly' improvements make all that stuff unneccesary Still watching those dudes go at it on youtube videos blows my damn mind every time! "

I agree, I don't really ever find myself needing a high APM to do well except for whenever I could of been making a couple extra workers or some units that could of helped in a fight. "
    Yeah - dont get me wrong, i can see how being able to fly through that shit could be helpful, but it's rarely necessary  -the only time i find myself slightly lacking behind is when playing matches that go on til 'end game madness' usually TvT actually - but sometimes being able to fly through every ctrl group and order a billion units (at that point resources aint an issue) up to your front line, just through muscle memory keyboard use, all the while being able to micro your units currently engaged - would really really help. 
    But right now thats rarely necessary, as most games end with someone trying something stupid early on and getting punished for it
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Jeust

In a little while you'll have to get a degree to play a game competitively. lol 

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Th3_James

Actions Per Minute.... I have all of them O_o 

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ethan_raiden

I'm sitting on an average of 60 - 80 as terran. Don't worry about APM, just play the game well, as someone has said previously, the timing of your play is more important than the timing that it take you to click a Command Center hotkey.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very, very few. AT the start, when there really isn't much to be done and your effectively waiting around I won't click very much.

Then again, I'm a total scrub so I have no idea.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Semition
    @Jeust said:
    " In a little while you'll have to get a degree to play a game competitively. lol  "
    In Korea, you do.

Not a degree but a license.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By RVonE

So how long is your e-peen?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jeust
    @Semition said:

" @Jeust said:

" In a little while you'll have to get a degree to play a game competitively. lol  "
    In Korea, you do.  Not a degree but a license. "
    What started as a hobby, evolved into a sport, and ended up a full time job in Korea. Thank god for single player games!
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Juvarial

Im sitting at Avg. 120 with peaks past the 200s with serious Micro. 
    APM when it isnt just buttom spam is useful : )

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.