Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steams latest survey is very invasive. Be careful.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Akyho

So I loaded up steam just now and got a 48mb update. It finished and started flashing gold and opened a window.

It was the old steam survey, I haven't seen one in ages. The usual "whats your broadband speed." then it went into "Gathering system information" and showed up all my pc specs. I went "oh cool its taking great details. This is all stuff that DXdiag would show up i have no problem." I just like to look at my specs from time to time.

Scrolling down it went into stuff I dont know apparrently my computer supports something like (forgot the actual letters) SSCP1 SSCP2 but not SSCP3 SSCP4.

I then scrolled and such things as CC support Dutch and a tone of other languages...then I saw Gamehack...and then stopped and went What? I scrolled through and it details EVERY SINGLE THING you have installed on your computer.

I am not at all happy with giving this info out. So I did what I have control o,said no and canceled the survey.

So I warn people to look at it and if your fine submitting the info go ahead. If like me you are not comfortable click cancel.

No Caption Provided

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Prior ones have been like that too, no?

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By expensiveham

They've been doing this for a while now. It's all anonymous and they make most of the data public.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ye this has been going on forever.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

Time to switch to Origin!

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mister_V

If someone at valve wants to sift through all the crap I have on my PC they are welcome to.

They already have my credit card info so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BisonHero

Yeah, the Steam survey has been cataloging your installed programs for years.

I could swear that in past years they've actually released a huge list of the most commonly installed programs on Steam. Usually browsers, MS Word, etc., would be at the top. It seems like they may not be doing that this year.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This seems appropriate:

Loading Video...

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mister_v said:

If someone at valve wants to sift through all the crap I have on my PC they are welcome to.

They already have my credit card info so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

This is exactly how I feel. They have my card information and bank details, where I live and my phone number.

God forbid they find out that I have two versions of iTunes on my computer though.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akyho

I wasnt aware. I am the UK so maybe this is a new thing for overseas? As I haven't had a Steam survey in three years and back then it was "Whats your broadband" and almost just that.

However it is upto to people and their choice. You all seem fine with it, I am not open to the idea. Just a little awareness is nice.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

People are ready to hand over all kinds of information.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By awesomeusername

This seems appropriate:

Loading Video...

That's amazing.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

Hmm, for years I've know they've did this were in the past you could inspect the information before submitting it to Valve and there is all sorts of stuff in there.

I guess I'm not surprised or offended by the amount of info it collects because the machine I use to play games on is only used to play games on where I don't care if a third party knows what is installed on that machine. As far as I care there is no privacy violated by noticing that I have Ventrillo and Mumble installed.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Yeah I don't really care, but just to prove a point: if it was EA doing this survey.. shit. I'd be pissed.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By endoworks

This has been going on for years. Not a new thing as far as I am aware.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, as everyone else said, this has been going on for at least 3-4 years (I've got that timetable because I remember where I was living the last time I did a Steam survey). IIRC last time I checked, utorrent was one of the top installed programs too.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a way to avoid this?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd better hide all of those pirated Herman's Hermits, then. I am Henry VIII, I am!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Maybe they can help me find my super modded version of Fallout 3. No clue where it went missing into.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This explains why Valve stopped accepting my calls.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SexyToad

I'm pretty sure steam tells you this. I remember Steam doing a survey before which tracked what I had installed. If I remember there was a checkbox or something.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Krullban

People only get mad about this when EA does it.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mellotronrules

doesn't matter to me. actually if they could give me heads up on where that misplaced high school-era 'human anatomy research' folder is, i'd be much obliged. you know, for nostalgia and such...

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By Forcen

They ask you randomly if you want to share this data from your computer, and they show you what the data is before sending it and then asks you nicely if you want to send it to them. You can just say "no thanks" and be done with it.

EDIT: They also share the data publicly: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Live2bRighteous

You seem to be offended by a lot of things. This has been going on for years now, nothing to worry about.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EXTomar

I believe the Origin client does this as well where it doesn't ask you. Once you accept the EULA it will inspect what you have installed under the auspice that it is integrating older EA titles.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By expensiveham

@krullban said:

People only get mad about this when EA does it.

Steam survey is optional and the data is anonymous. They present all the data they receive to give everyone better understanding of what kind of hardware and software is being used.

EA will collect your information as long as you install their client and they do not ask for your approval and will start collecting info before you accept the EULA. The data is tied to your account and personal information and they use it to better market and sell their own products to you. They will also sell your data to third parties (anonymously) but at least you can opt out of that but they will still gather data for their own use.

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION."
    Origin EULA
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@forcen said:

They ask you randomly if you want to share this data from your computer, and they show you what the data is before sending it and then asks you nicely if you want to send it to them. You can just say "no thanks" and be done with it.

That is some awesome data.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 Ben_H  Online

They have been doing this and have been completely open about it for at least 3 years now, if not more.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By MildMolasses

@expensiveham: Where does it say that they collect info before you agree to anything? The very bottom says not to install it if you don't want them to collect the data. Are you saying that the EULA isn't made available until after origin has been installed?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#31 gamer_152  Moderator

This has been going on for a long while. As it's all anonymous I have no problem with it, but I see how it could make some people feel uncomfortable.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By expensiveham

@mildmolasses: The EULA is not presented to you until the program is already installed. It will however require you to accept it before you are able to login or update the client. The EULA is not shown at the download site for origin either.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

That is some awesome data.

Intel HD 3000 most used video card, lmao

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akyho

If you are fine with sending the data. Go right ahead.

I choose not too and this was my first encounter of such a massive data dump from Steam it startled me.

I am not saying its wrong, just for those who do not want it and didnt know I was letting them know.

I like valve and steam just this is a personal line I dont want crossed. This does not affect my opinion of valve I understand it, its just a personal preference.

So please dont act like I am weird just because I chose to opt out.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By expensiveham

@akyho said:

If you are fine with sending the data. Go right ahead.

I choose not too and this was my first encounter of such a massive data dump from Steam it startled me.

I am not saying its wrong, just for those who do not want it and didnt know I was letting them know.

I like valve and steam just this is a personal line I dont want crossed. This does not affect my opinion of valve I understand it, its just a personal preference.

So please dont act like I am weird just because I chose to opt out.

I don't think anyone thinks you are weird for not wanting to share your data. Valve understands that there are plenty of people that feel the same way as you and that is why they give you several chances to say no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.