Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken 7

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Mar 18, 2015

The seventh main installment of the Tekken series brings the conflict within the Mishima clan to its conclusion.

New character might not come to western release

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Playstation wasn't the only thing to celebrate it's 20th anniversary. Tekken also did that this month and in doing so they announced a new character for Tekken 7 featured in the video below.

Western fans over on OTHER FORUMS started complaining pretty horribly about the character, questioning the design choices of Katsuhiro Harada and his team. He responded by saying

"By the way, Are you "Western" only one bulletin board? Hello small world. I'll make muscular & skinhead character for you.

Remember, I said We've more new characters and She is ONE on THEM." - source

"Calm down and Don't worry. That character are East Asia and Europe "Exclusive". and I'll say again. We've more new characters on TK7. She is JUST one of them.and She will be country exclusive (or region exclusive) character. We don't include her for your region. That's why I said Calm down and Don't worry." - source

Some people have been saying this character show's Tekken has lost it's way because she's too anime/idol/vocaloid like. I think these people are nuts or have been playing a different Tekken than I have. I've made a list of characters that are actually playable in Tekken games already.

• A series of different androids and robots
    • Demonic versions of "normal" characters complete with wings and horns
    • A bear
    • A ninja who may or may not be some kind of immortal
    • An actual Angel
    • A Kangaroo
    • A Raptor
    • A man with a robotic arm
    • An immortal giant ogre
    • An actual panda bear
    • A fighting dummy made out of wooden blocks
    • An actual Demon

All of this is fine, but anime girl is too far? I hope she comes to the west, not because I want to play her but because I'd hate for a game to be limited by a bunch of idiots.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Not sure where in any of that it says anything about her not coming to the west...?

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cannonballbam

I'm still holding my breath for Tekken x Street Fighter.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Other Forums = Neogaf*

I would love to play as her. Tekken really needs more girl characters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I don't really care for the character design personally, but yeah, anyone who actually thinks she's too ''weird'' for Tekken needs to remove their head from their ass posthaste.

Also, if she is banned from NA, she'll presumably still exist in the UK version so NA players could instead choose to import that version?

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly this whole thing is dumb, as Tekken has been stupid anime craziness for a long time in terms of character creation. Let's not the last "New" Character in Tekken Revolution was an anime sleepy Vampire.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Sorry, I left out the part where he said it's asia/europe only. Updated it now.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
    wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm sure harada was being sarcastic about not bringing her over to the us. if he is serious then that really sucks. i would love to main chloe online since she's been causing all this butthurt

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

@yummylee said:

I don't really care for the character design personally, but yeah, anyone who actually thinks she's too ''weird'' for Tekken needs to remove their head from their ass posthaste.

Also, if she is banned from NA, she'll presumably still exist in the UK version so NA players could instead choose to import that version?

Huh? People consider this new character weird? After guys like a farting professor and a fighting wooden board? -_-

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By obcdexter

Can't wait to "break her face" with Marduk. ;-P

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Huh? People consider this new character weird? After guys like a farting professor and a fighting wooden board? -_-

Don't forget Gon! The tiny dinosaur that bit your ankles and an ending video consisted of a continuous loop of silly antics.

There is so much weird goofy stuff from Tekken 2 onwards, that the fact it took them this long to do an anime catgirl is really surprisng.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds more to me that internet forum-goers claiming to be Tekken fans are the ones who've lost their way.

I have never played a single game of Tekken in my life, but I have always been aware of (and appreciated) just how bat-shit crazy their character designs are.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@theacidskull said:

@yummylee said:

Don't forget Gon! The tiny dinosaur that bit your ankles and an ending video consisted of a continuous loop of silly antics.

There is so much weird goofy stuff from Tekken 2 onwards, that the fact it took them this long to do an anime catgirl is really surprisng.

Yeah, agreed. Fans can be so fucking ridiculous sometimes. One guy told me that Tekken was realistic, just to prove that MK was lame(wut?).

I know, right? That trope seems so common you'd think we'd see a character like that by now.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Corevi

She's Akibaranger Yellow! Awesome.

I bet most of the people complaining about her design don't even play Tekken and are just on the moral guardian train.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot the best one; a wooden man made of metal.

If she showed up in Virtua Fighter, I would be a little more sympathetic (even though the custom items can get super silly), but she's right a home in Tekke because Tekken has always been crazy.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she fits right in with the other weird Tekken characters.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Making characters region exclusive is just all kinds of dumb if you want to make a competitive fighting game. North American players are gonna have a very rough time learning the matchup and vice versa for any NA exclusive characters.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I feel bad how people are tending to get more and more comfortable shitting on creative choices.

I understand bad servers or a slow walking speed or something, but complaining about a character or an art style has to really hurt the creators.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I'm starting to become fearful that the "political" gaming climate is going to start preventing games being released here.

Here's a simple fix for people who don't like her: DO NOT PLAY AS HER.

If they really cut her out from the North American version of the game, that's going to set a very dangerous precedent that may come to bite us in the ass. I don't play Tekken, but come on guys, you're cool with them CUTTING CONTENT from your game just to appease a vocal minority that's bitching about it on the internet?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I think the design is terrible (as are most of Tekken's other sillier designs which aren't Gon or Dr. Bosconovitch) it's silly to get worked up about that of course. Especially at this point.

I do feel Harada overacted though (unless he's joking, which is his prone to do), why even care what some people on a message board somewhere say? All this seems to do is give NeoGAF more clout which I don't think it needs.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yuck jpop in my Hardkore gamez no way Jose

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

While I think the design is terrible (as are most of Tekken's other sillier designs which aren't Gon or Dr. Bosconovitch) it's silly to get worked up about that of course. Especially at this point.

I do feel Harada overacted though (unless he's joking, which is his prone to do), why even care what some people on a message board somewhere say? All this seems to do is give NeoGAF more clout which I don't think it needs.

I'm pretty sure he was joking and his twitter seems to support that. It seems like she may not be available in the US due to other reasons than this, and even if that is so I really think she'd be added in DLC.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You can play as a boxing kangaroo with a small child in its sack that can also box, yet a vocaloid is way too crazy.

SEEMS LEGIT

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Two things that rub me the wrong way: the fighting style and her super annoying voice.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chrissedoff

@jesus_phish, you're right that Tekken is full of idiotic nonsese already. Presumably, people who like Tekken enjoy how ridiculous the characters are, so this barely even pushes the envelope of stupidity.

But wow, this Katsuhiro Harada guy is a dick. Sure, everyone who doesn't like his cutesy lolita catgirl character want nothing but skin-headed muscle-men. Just like how everyone who doesn't like your technical death metal band only listens to One Direction. That kind of nonsense belongs in the mouth of hormonal teenage boys posting Internet comments anonymously, not a grown man with a real job. He ultimately came off as the asshole here, because fans whining about the current creative direction of a long-running franchise is just something that's going to happen, no matter what you do. The appropriate response is to remind yourself that you're the one who actually decides what goes into the game, so you don't have to sweat the opinions of the people who disagree with you. What you don't do is prove that you're an even bigger crybaby than they are by publicly whining about criticism from fans.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SomeJerk

He's making fun of those who react like chrissedoff do.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@dudeglove said:

Aesthetic aside, in that I think it panders to some pathetic niche audience who goes in for that sort of thing, her moveset looks like a lame mash up of Ling Xiaoyu and Eddie capoeira dude from Tekken 3.

I miss Bloody Roar.

No Caption Provided

Anyway, I also miss Bloody Roar.

Honestly, I don't understand the outrage nor do I understand Harada. I mean, fuck, really? All the fun, crazy shit in Tekken and this is what sets people off? And Harada, c'mon buddy, you're smarter than this. A few people bitching online do not speak for the entire community. I assume he was joking and she won't ultimately be exclusive, but he shouldn't have even entertained them with a response. I'm all for developers pushing back against internet bullshit, but in this case, I don't think it was worth his time. All we're left with now is a controversy that shouldn't even have been one in the first place.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@somejerk said:

He's making fun of those who react like chrissedoff do.

No Caption Provided

I really do wish they put her out as DLC at some point.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't play the game since the first Tekken Tag but it would be silly if they didn't include the character. She looks fun!

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By reverendk

@hassun said:

It seems like for some people this is the last straw.

-Man, what happened to the artists/character designers?

Yeah, Bears and shit, but that was good fun. This is a serious attempt at a character reveal and drawing in players. No thanks. Or it's a massive troll that they're still taking seriously. Again, no thanks.

Guess we have everyone who voted for the vampire to thank for the direction they're going?

-Seems I'm through with Tekken for good. Vampires, Barby dolls? After Tekken 6 they have lost me and this doesn't want me to come back. Was a fun time, played since Tekken 1, but it's time to put it to rest. =/

-This design is straight trash

Fuck outta here with that

Alisa was stupid enough

At the end of the day I have to wonder why anybody that makes or even likes video games would bother with a place like neogaf in the first place since it seems to be the epitome of the angry video game forum poster stereotype that people like to toss around so much. People are mad that there is a character in a game and then mad when that character won't be in the version of the game they are getting. Talk about being whiny and entitled. I feel worse for wear just skimming through their complain thread.

Then, there's this guy

-The cat stuff is meh.

But I cannot lie, that super revealing black skirt/dress thing makes me wish my city had a goth or metal scene. Because girls in frilly and skin tight black stuff, hngggh.

PS: The muscular cheetah (?) woman was the best female in Bloody Roar.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah people going crazy about her is real dumb consindering all the other weird shit that's in Tekken already. The Panda and Bear can talk to some people in this univers for god's sake!

Her voice is real annoying though, which might be why there has been such a big out cry.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By boboblaw

Sounds like the internet being the internet to me.

Bag_Head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bag_Head

Okay I'm confused, now I'm not the internet (i think) but I believe this character to be not only a bad fit for Tekken but a poor design and it has nothing to do with this "this character is too crazy n weird for Tekken!" it's the complete opposite.

"CatGirl"isaunoriginalandclichedesign

Besides the fact she another cat girl in a fighting game, she's some loli idol moe meant only to appeal/pander to what I assume are DOA fans (I guess Lili wasn't Gothic lolita enough for them, and Marie Rose was considered a "good design" enough to inspire Chole) her fighting style and moves just seem to be a mix of the two Tekken characters that already have dance inspired movesets, Eddy n Lili

Though Harada is likely making fun of people, his joke about a "muscle, bald, strong guy" is irony when that's just as cliche in the west as catgirls are in japan.

I honestly would of preferred an actual Cat, but then again I already have King and Armor King so I'm good.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what if she's actually a frog in a catgirl robot and the frog is actually gary busey

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That design is a joke but also fits in fine with Tekken.

Tekken fans wait till now to care about character designs? Outta here with that nonsense, Tekken fans.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, what overreactions. Don't even think Harada is being that serious about pulling her either.

Thinking about this logically, not including a character in the NA release would be a massive waste of resources. I'm guessing a Tekken character is really expensive to develop (500K+ ?). If anything I think we might get a different costume and toned down voice acting for this character on console.

Tekken 7 looks awesome BTW and looks to be shaping up nicely. I think this Lucky Chloe looks hilarious as well - what a troll character! As long as she's a mid-low tier character I think she's a great addition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1eff447c9e5
    deactivated-5c1eff447c9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's probably just trolling, but really, if you make, video games, people are going to complain about something and everything in it. If they don't like something, then that's on them. The game doesn't have to pander to them, but that doesn't make their criticisms not valid because in the end, this is all just the individual personal opinions of everyone. Not all games and opinions/criticisms will cater to you, and this is important for everyone to remember, including Harada and the people who disagree with the criticism thrown in the way of Lucky Chloe.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Hunter5024

As someone who loves Tekken, Tekken is not to be taken so seriously. Still that character is dumb as hell, and not in the cool way that a lot of other Tekken characters are. That's fine, because I don't have to love every character, but so far I haven't liked any of the new characters, and that's a bummer.

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And what's wrong with vocaloid ?!? if they were to add miku hatsune that would be the best thing to ever happen to tekken.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.