Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Television

Object » linked to 508 games

A television set is a device used to view moving images usually accompanied by sound. They often appear in video games and scenery but sometimes have more practical applications.

How big is your TV?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll How big is your TV? (240 votes)

30" or smaller 3%
    31-40" 15%
    41-50" 27%
    51-60" 35%
    61-70" 16%
    71-80" 1%
    81" or larger 2%

I've been eyeing those LG OLED televisions for a couple of years now. My birthday is coming up pretty soon here and I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge and upgrading my 7 year old 47" set for a nice 4K HDR screen. I know pretty much what TV I'm getting, either the B9 or C9 from last year, but am still struggling with picking out the right size.

In my current apartment I sit roughly 2 meters (6,5 feet) from the screen. However I'm planning on moving soon and don't really know what my viewing distance will be in the new place. Because of this I'm kind of leaning towards getting a 55" set because it'll be roughly 600 euros cheaper than the larger 65" model. A 55" TV would have seemed massive just a few years ago, but now it sounds a tad small. But I can always just move my chair closer to the screen if I think it feels too small, right?

Anyhow I'm interested in finding out what size screens you all are using for what sorts of spaces.

PS: In regards to the poll. If you live in a space with multiple televisions, just pick the one you use the most and consider to be your "main TV".

• 
    Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've had the same 32" for a decade. Until it breaks, I'm not replacing it.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ThePanzini

I sit about the same distance away from mine I use a Sony XE 49-9005 with a soundbar I think its the right size for me never been a fan of massie TV's, 65" is way too much for me and the bigger you go the worse SD content looks.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have a 55 inch Sony. To me, it’s not too small, not too big, and the price Can be viewed as just right.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember, i haven't used it in years, i think my biggest one is 32", it's across the room from this PC monitor which is 24", which is next to another monitor attached to the wall which is 20", then in my bedroom i have i think a 19" TV next to a 20" CRT i use for Time Crisis.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've got a 65" C8 in my room (the LG OLEDs are amazing and worth the money yada yada yada) I had a 47" LG for a long time, then had two 55" ones, and then finally the 65". I do not regret it. It's the kind of thing that seems like a bad idea, until you have it and you're used to it, then you're not sure why you ever questioned it lol If you can afford it, and it's physically able to fit in your TV spot, I'd say go big.

My room is about 14" x 13". I have three viewing postions:

1. From my desk (partially in right side of pic) which is about a 30-45 degree off angle, 4-5 ft away. Depends if I move my chair out a bit.
    2. From my recliner, which I'll slide over directly in front of the TV. That's probably a 6-7 ft distance?
    3. And last, from my bed while leaning up against the opposite wall so.. 11-12" ft away.

No complaints. I can't say I really watch any SD content on it. Any old movies I watch are like 1080p versions that look good. The only issue is if you're playing old, non-HD games then you'll want to either spend a chunk of money to get something like the Framemeister or OSSC and RGB setup etc etc, or the cheaper alternative, but sacrifices space, is to get an old CRT setup which can be had for $0-1000 depending on how deep you're in. So in terms of SD games, yea it looks like muddy dick.

No Caption Provided

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

We sit about 7.5' away from a 55" Vizio 4K HDR set. My last two TVs were also this size across a variety of apartments and now, a house. We've found 55" to be kind of our sweet spot- don't really need anything bigger, but would prefer this size over something smaller.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I don't have a TV in my living room if that's the area you're talking about. But I do have a 50" TV in my master bedroom and office. In my living room I have a BenQ protector with a 125" white screen I made.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 65" samsung 4K HDR set and I sit about 6.5' away from it.
    I've had it for 5 years now and I use it for everything. I figured I didn't want to move myself just to use my computer so I connected it to the TV and sold the monitor and desk I had. Yep, I live alone.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

My couch is about 6 ft. away from my TV and I have a 55 inch LG OLED. I had upgraded from a 42 inch LCD because I had some difficulty reading the text in games (and I wanted a new TV) and 55 inches seems to be the perfect size for my set up.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Been rocking a 32 inch, Samsung 1080i TV since 2010 that's in dire need of an upgrade. Would love to get something new while I'm stuck at home with the current situation but I'm probably moving across the country in the next few months so it seems like a bad idea to get a new piece of bulky equipment right now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@isomeri: I decided to save a little and get a B9 but now I’m always regretting not getting the C9. I think it’s a small difference but it’s always in the back of my mind.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically, I live with someone who owns a 55" TCL Roku TV. But my PC is my go to for play and work, so I use a 34" Asus ROG PG348Q.

I want 21:9 TVs.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I'm afraid I'd feel the same way if I got the B9, although most likely I wouldn't even see a difference looking at the two side-by-side. It's absolutely a splurge purchase to begin with, so I'm pretty sure I'll splurge the extra 200 euros for the C9.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14 fisk0  Moderator

I have a 42" Samsung from 2014. For a TV I think that's about as big as I'd want it, if I were to get something bigger I'd probably prefer a projector instead.

Would maybe even had opted for a smaller TV in retrospect, as I have a hard time fitting more than one screen at home, but really miss a decent 4:3 setup for my older games, so two smaller TV's, one 4:3 and one 16:9 seems like a preferable option.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frytup

Rtings has a recommended viewing distance chart. Personally I think it's designed to sell big TVs more than actually provide a good recommendation, but have a look if you're interested.

I sit about 10ft (3m) from my 55" TV, and it's just about perfect. Depending on your eyesight you may run into trouble with tiny fonts in games, but you'd probably need 70"+ to solve that problem.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: Yeah I've been looking at those charts too, and have also been getting the feel that they're just meant to sell people larger TVs. I mean if going from 55" to 65" means an increased viewing distance of a couple dozen centimeters, than I don't really see much of a point.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 55" 4K HDR Philips in my main room, and a 43" 1080p Sony in the bedroom.

The Philips TV is way too big really, and aside from having Android, it's inferior to the Sony. 4K HDR or not.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

55” LG (don’t recall the number, it’s their old flagship lcd) in the living room, used to be my old gaming tv but when my SO moved in it became our movie/party games-tv. And for my gaming room I bought the LG C7 65”.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 55" Vizio M series from the early days of 4k without HDR or multiple ports that handle 4k 60hz. We'll get a newer TV whenever this one gets broken.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

49 Inches. It's pretty much the largest size that I can comfortably fit in my awkward attic room. (I have a Samsung Q70.)

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have a 47", which is perfect with the distance i sit from (2-3 meters).

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 50" Vizio, which was the biggest size that would work on the furniture available for it. I like the size, but you should avoid Vizio. I get horrible signal drops on the 4K inputs - the screen will go black for like 2-5 seconds, then come back on again. It happens frequently, but at irregular intervals. Vizio says it's a PS4 problem, Sony says it's a Vizio problem (Hint: It's a Vizio problem) and around and around they go.

I'm pretty much stuck with 1080.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

50". We used to have a 60", but honestly, it was overkill, especially since we don't sit all the way across the room or anything like that.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

A problem with these big TV's - and I guess I'm speaking specifically about the LG OLEDS - is that the way they are constructed is nerve wracking to put together. There is no bezel, just one big extremely flat surface with a hump on the lower half with all the innards. Getting the stand bolted to it and then lifting it proved to be a very nervous affair for me as I had no idea where to even grab it since it really is just all screen.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

55-inch TCL R617. I, for the most part, have been sitting 5.5ft away as recommended, but I moved a bit back recently after I got a new sound system so I can more conveniently, and correctly have my speakers equidistant to my listening area. You can get a lot of info from a handful of different sites, but to me, this is probably the best one when it comes to TV size/resolution/viewing distance, going with THX's ideal distance as it allows for the most immersive experience for gaming and watching movies.

The bigger the TV doesn't mean better obviously. You need to look for one that fits your room, and if you have speakers set up around your room, take that into account too as you'll preferably want the speakers at an equal distance away from your ears. Getting too big a TV or too small of one can mess that up. Another thing to take into account is whether you'll have others watching or playing with you; a bigger TV would probably be better for that. I've been thinking recently of the LG B9/C9 OLED. I got the TCL TV only a couple of years ago, and while I like it a lot, I already feel like getting a new TV and perhaps giving this one to my dad or brother. I don't know though.

nickystixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I just bought a cheap TCL 43 inch 4K HDR tv off of Amazon. Games Look good on my death stranding edition PS4 pro. It gets the job done for me.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

A problem with these big TV's - and I guess I'm speaking specifically about the LG OLEDS - is that the way they are constructed is nerve wracking to put together. There is no bezel, just one big extremely flat surface with a hump on the lower half with all the innards. Getting the stand bolted to it and then lifting it proved to be a very nervous affair for me as I had no idea where to even grab it since it really is just all screen.

Yeah - I have had two of them. My advice is to put it on your mattress and attach the feet off the edge. That said I've done this twice now and haven't done it that way either time, because i'm always too excited and forget. These oleds are amazing. Watch out for burn-in though.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have a 39" 1080p Vizio. The plan is to get a 55" 4K at some point and then move the 39" into the bedroom, but I haven't been in any hurry.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6: Burn-in does have me a little nervous. However I don't really use my TV to watch TV, so at most it's usually on for 4-5 hours at a time displaying a variety of content like games and movies. Plus the store I'm looking to buy mine from does 3 years warranty and I'm guessing any acute burn-in problems would manifest in that period.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

@north6: Burn-in does have me a little nervous. However I don't really use my TV to watch TV, so at most it's usually on for 4-5 hours at a time displaying a variety of content like games and movies. Plus the store I'm looking to buy mine from does 3 years warranty and I'm guessing any acute burn-in problems would manifest in that period.

Burn-in is a real issue, it's why I have two now. I'd think you'd be fine with that usage though.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

THis question prometed me to turn my TV aroudn to see what model I had. I have had it for 2.5 years and I was guessing when people asked.

I have a 55" SUHD 4K Flat Smart TV KS8000 Series 8 (2016). I bought it when that model was a 20 months old, so I got a good discount on it. Instead of the new MSRP of $1, 500, I got mine for $700.

By today's standards it okay -nothing amazing. However, I have had it for over two years while using my PS4 Pro - I'm so glad I had it. Maybe in late 2021 I will shop for a new TV.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have a very old Samsung TV in my bedroom. It's only like 26" or 27" or something, but it's mounted to the wall on a pivoting arm at the foot of my bed so it seems much bigger than it is because it's so much closer to where I sit than it would be otherwise. The TV itself is getting quite old at this point though and has increasingly worse ghosting showing up on screen so I'm not sure how much longer it will last.

I'll get a new one when I get my own place, or this old Samsung one breaks.

There's also an older ~50" plasma in our basement that I rarely use, but it has pretty significant burn-in issues so I try not to play too many games on it since static UI elements can cause issues.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the comments. Ended up going for the 55" LG C9. Very happy with it after the first day. The reduction in input lag compared to my older TV is especially noticeable. And proper HDR definitely seems like a larger upgrade than 4K resolution.

No Caption Provided

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

@isomeri: Congrats dude. That said, they just came out with an even better LG OLED and it's about 100 dollars cheaper... No, just kidding. What are you excited to try out most on that TV? What movies/games? Did you use RTINGS calibration?

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to hear from whoever has the > 81" tv. WTF is that like?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Thanks. I've definitely been watching a lot of Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II on UHD Blu-ray, which obviously look fantastic. I also had a look at a couple of DVD and 1080p movies which looked surprisingly smooth and improved with the black levels and colours this TV is able to pull off. For games I've only tried Modern Warfare, Lumines and SSX 3 on the Xbox One X. SSX 3 was the real surprise out of the punch, as the 4K enhancements for the original Xbox title really make it look and play great.

And yes, I mostly went with the RTINGS calibrations. Haven't adjusted white balance yet, but the panel looks very well calibrated out of the box.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This 32" Tv is replacing my dual monitor setup at work really, really well. 32" for life.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I have been using the same Samsung 32" TV for the past decade. It's probably the best piece of electronics I've ever bought. I sit at a desk so don't need a huge TV.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: I haven't read their calibration page for that TV, but it probably says, as you might already know, don't copy their or anyone else's white balance. That's really for professional calibrators. It's best to just keep it at default unless you know what you're doing or plan on hiring a pro. I've recently been trying to figure out what my next 4k Blu-ray will be. Wondering if I should get 1917. Oh, and happy belated birthday (right?) I forgot you said that it was your birthday coming up in the first post. Also, it's worth noting, it's going to be hard figuring out what's best for HDR settings in games as HDR settings in games don't correspond to your TV's peak brightness, but I recommend checking out EvilBorisHDR's stuff. I don't personally go on resetera as a user, but there's a good page over there that I often check just to see what the best option for games would be. You also want to check out HDTVTest on YouTube. You should also know, not every game is equal in HDR, whether that's the quality of HDR, or especially the in-game calibrator. You may know all this, I don't know.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Thank you for the birthday wishes. And yeah, tuning the HDR in games has so far been the trickiest thing. Still, stuff like RDR2 and Modern Warfare looks pretty great even at default settings.

As far as 4K Blu-rays are concerned, I've got Apocalypse Now and Close Encounters waiting for the next weekend to have a proper late-night movie session with snacks and beers and all. Also looking at 1917 as a possible next purchase along with Color Out of Space.

To avoid this going into too much UHD and HDR talk, I will say that 55" seems like the right size for my viewing distance at the moment. Playing Call of Duty while sitting roughly 1,5 meters away is on the borderline of having to move my eyes too much to pay attention to everything going on. Then again for movies, bigger is kind of always better. But I guess in another 7 years I can look at a bigger and badder set if my living situation then allows for it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NTM

@isomeri: RDR2 still has issues as it doesn't reach the highest peak brightness, and the black levels are raised. So, the brights can't be the brightest, and the blacks can't be the blackest I guess is the best way to put it. Modern Warfare is a good HDR showcase. I want to check out Close Encounters. I have and watched Apocalypse Now, but I have to watch it again since I got an Atmos setup now. For movies specifically, just recently I started checking out High Def Digest. Check that out if you're interested. The reason I'm replying though is that I came on to say that I just realized, at least on RTINGs, the C9 isn't the highest-rated TV, but the LG E9 is.

If you look specifically at the number ratings, the only difference is that movies specifically is one point off, from C9's 9.3 to E9's 9.4. Everything else is the same and under their comparisons, it says: The LG E9 OLED and the LG C9 OLED have very similar performance. The E9 has slightly better sound. Any other differences can be attributed to panel variance, including the slightly less aggressive ABL found on the E9. That's about it. I don't think it really matters, but I wanted to point it out, as I'm surprised to just be finding this out. That said, the E9 is again, more expensive than the C9 as the C9 is over the B9.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the 55' b9 last week after eyeing oleds the last couple years only wish that there was component adapter on the back as cant hook up my wii anymore to play gamecube games.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doerr007: There are several Wii HDMI adapters of varying quality. This is probably the best one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.