Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1991

The third installment in the Zelda series makes a return to the top-down 2D gameplay of the original. Link must travel between the Light and Dark Worlds in order to set things right in the kingdom of Hyrule.

A Randomized Link to the Past - Episode Ys: Fleshpot Glitz: Needed a Tenth Koala

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

Welcome back to Hyrule, all, for this special one-off bonus episode of A Randomized Link to the Past. The site that creates randomizer seeds has a plethora of different conditions and configurations: the one with Garflink was Normal difficulty with no assurance that we'd get the sword and shield from Uncle Deadmeat, which is what I'd recommend to newcomers (the Easy difficulty makes the game's combat way too simple with all its additions, and doesn't actually change the fundamental struggle of having specific dungeon items you sorely need).

Today, we're looking at the notorious Key-sanity mode with a brand new protagonist: Yunica Tovah of Ys Origin fame, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to challenging dungeon crawls. The big hook for Key-sanity is that it adds all the dungeon items - keys, compasses, maps, and big keys - to the global randomization pool. This has all sorts of terrifying ramifications and is therefore recommended only for those speedrunners who are true ALTTP Randomizer masters. I'm sure I'm close to becoming one of those after a single successful playthrough. Only one way to find out, right?

Most of the game will be this. You open a chest to find a random dungeon-specific item like the big key or compass, and the game is kind enough to tell you where it belongs. Tower of Hera is at least a Light World dungeon, but I've no idea when I'm going to get there.
    Most of the game will be this. You open a chest to find a random dungeon-specific item like the big key or compass, and the game is kind enough to tell you where it belongs. Tower of Hera is at least a Light World dungeon, but I've no idea when I'm going to get there.
    On rare occasion, you'll even get keys and stuff inside the same dungeon to which they belong. The big key you get from the ball and chain guy in Hyrule Castle is a special case: it can't be anything else, otherwise you wouldn't be able to complete the prologue.
    On rare occasion, you'll even get keys and stuff inside the same dungeon to which they belong. The big key you get from the ball and chain guy in Hyrule Castle is a special case: it can't be anything else, otherwise you wouldn't be able to complete the prologue.
    It's like... Misery Mire was the very last dungeon I went to in the previous run. Do I really need its Big Key now?
    It's like... Misery Mire was the very last dungeon I went to in the previous run. Do I really need its Big Key now?
    Oh, by the way? The
    Oh, by the way? The "weapon" I got from my dead uncle was bombs. Just ten bombs, most of which I've used up already. Anyway, you can see that the randomizer program has commandeered the bottom of the inventory to tell you where you have keys for: I have one small key for Hyrule Castle, and the Big Keys for Hyrule Castle, Tower of Hera (L3, or Light World 3), and Misery Mire (D6, or Dark World 6). Compasses and Maps don't appear here, so you just have to remember which ones you've found.
    Well, I'm almost set for Misery Mire. Just need the Moon Pearl, the Ocarina, and a specific but as-yet-undisclosed Medallion to actually get in there. By all means keep giving me keys for it though.
    Well, I'm almost set for Misery Mire. Just need the Moon Pearl, the Ocarina, and a specific but as-yet-undisclosed Medallion to actually get in there. By all means keep giving me keys for it though.
    Ah, that would be a single small key for the penultimate dungeon of the game, correct? Just gonna reiterate that I haven't been given a real weapon yet.
    Ah, that would be a single small key for the penultimate dungeon of the game, correct? Just gonna reiterate that I haven't been given a real weapon yet.
    We're out of the prologue, but I still don't have any items. Blind's old hideout, usually a good source for early game items with its five chests, gave me nothing but another Misery Mire key.
    We're out of the prologue, but I still don't have any items. Blind's old hideout, usually a good source for early game items with its five chests, gave me nothing but another Misery Mire key.
    Oh, amazing find. The Bombos Medallion provides a powerful screen-clearing spell that could easily get me past bosses and monster rooms. IF ONLY I HAD THE SWORD THAT'S REQUIRED TO USE IT. AIN'T THAT SOME PICKLES ON PARADE.
    Oh, amazing find. The Bombos Medallion provides a powerful screen-clearing spell that could easily get me past bosses and monster rooms. IF ONLY I HAD THE SWORD THAT'S REQUIRED TO USE IT. AIN'T THAT SOME PICKLES ON PARADE.
    Oh, but I did get another key for a Dark World dungeon from the chicken hut. Good lord, this run.
    Oh, but I did get another key for a Dark World dungeon from the chicken hut. Good lord, this run.
    Finally, an item I can use. The Cape turns me invisible, which right now is the only way I'm going to get past most enemies. I remember saying in the Garflink run that I wished I had this useful but oft underutilized item earlier, so that's one wish granted so far.
    Finally, an item I can use. The Cape turns me invisible, which right now is the only way I'm going to get past most enemies. I remember saying in the Garflink run that I wished I had this useful but oft underutilized item earlier, so that's one wish granted so far.
    A little something about how dungeon maps have an added function in this game: In addition to giving you the layout of the dungeon once inside, you can only see what story items you get from a dungeon if you have its map. Since I don't have any maps for the Light World dungeons, I don't have flashing symbols for any of them.
    A little something about how dungeon maps have an added function in this game: In addition to giving you the layout of the dungeon once inside, you can only see what story items you get from a dungeon if you have its map. Since I don't have any maps for the Light World dungeons, I don't have flashing symbols for any of them.
    I just spent 100 rupees on a small key for a Dark World dungeon I won't see for several hours yet. Why did this guy even have it?
    I just spent 100 rupees on a small key for a Dark World dungeon I won't see for several hours yet. Why did this guy even have it?
    I'm a little reluctant to go near the Dark Palace without a Lantern (which, of course, has yet to show up) but having the compass and a key means I should probably at least poke my head through the door once I can reach the Dark World.
    I'm a little reluctant to go near the Dark Palace without a Lantern (which, of course, has yet to show up) but having the compass and a key means I should probably at least poke my head through the door once I can reach the Dark World.
    Now that's something I could really use this early on. Not only because the Hammer is a valuable tool for exploring the Dark World, but because I STILL DON'T HAVE A WEAPON. I guess I should find a way into the Desert Palace.
    Now that's something I could really use this early on. Not only because the Hammer is a valuable tool for exploring the Dark World, but because I STILL DON'T HAVE A WEAPON. I guess I should find a way into the Desert Palace.
    Literally the least useful item in the game right now. I have at least seven dungeons to complete before I can even start to think about Ganon's Tower.
    Literally the least useful item in the game right now. I have at least seven dungeons to complete before I can even start to think about Ganon's Tower.
    Oh look! It's me not giving a rat's ass.
    Oh look! It's me not giving a rat's ass.
    The sword, just sitting there out in the open, and here's me without the Flippers I need to reach it. I managed to raise 500 rupees easily enough, but I'm dreading the crap I'm going to get from King Zora.
    The sword, just sitting there out in the open, and here's me without the Flippers I need to reach it. I managed to raise 500 rupees easily enough, but I'm dreading the crap I'm going to get from King Zora.
    YESSSSS SOMETHING TO HIT PEOPLE WITH FINALLY. Of course, the Hookshot can only stun most enemies, but there's a lot of small fry I can vanquish now. If nothing else, stunning enemies will make them easier to elude.
    YESSSSS SOMETHING TO HIT PEOPLE WITH FINALLY. Of course, the Hookshot can only stun most enemies, but there's a lot of small fry I can vanquish now. If nothing else, stunning enemies will make them easier to elude.
    One important place for chests is the mini-moldorm cave to the south of the map: there's five items in here, but you need something to kill the five creepy crawlies in this room, and the bombs weren't cutting it.
    One important place for chests is the mini-moldorm cave to the south of the map: there's five items in here, but you need something to kill the five creepy crawlies in this room, and the bombs weren't cutting it.
    A quiver upgrade. I'm glad these are still filling up slots in the randomization pool with junk I don't need instead of keys and items I do.
    A quiver upgrade. I'm glad these are still filling up slots in the randomization pool with junk I don't need instead of keys and items I do.
    See? This is something I can use. I want to get to the Desert Palace as soon as possible for that Hammer, and this key will help me reach it.
    See? This is something I can use. I want to get to the Desert Palace as soon as possible for that Hammer, and this key will help me reach it.
    The Eastern Palace, meanwhile, is currently the only dungeon I can access, so I greatly value any and all dungeon items pertaining to it.
    The Eastern Palace, meanwhile, is currently the only dungeon I can access, so I greatly value any and all dungeon items pertaining to it.
    This key you can stick directly up your ass, however.
    This key you can stick directly up your ass, however.
    I've no idea where most of the pendants are, but Sahasrahla is programmed to give you the Pegasus Boots (or, in this case, a random item) once you have the green Pendant of Courage. He tells us that it's in... oh, Misery Mire. Awesome. Again, the one dungeon that requires the most legwork.
    I've no idea where most of the pendants are, but Sahasrahla is programmed to give you the Pegasus Boots (or, in this case, a random item) once you have the green Pendant of Courage. He tells us that it's in... oh, Misery Mire. Awesome. Again, the one dungeon that requires the most legwork.
    Now this is a nice find. I could use a bottle for fairies if I'm going to be struggling with just the Hookshot for the time being. Having a bottle means I can also go get my item from the sick kid in Kakariko.
    Now this is a nice find. I could use a bottle for fairies if I'm going to be struggling with just the Hookshot for the time being. Having a bottle means I can also go get my item from the sick kid in Kakariko.
    More Desert Palace preparations, always handy. I already told you about the added function that maps serve in the Key-sanity mode, right? Well, compasses have one too.
    More Desert Palace preparations, always handy. I already told you about the added function that maps serve in the Key-sanity mode, right? Well, compasses have one too.
    Here I am in the Eastern Palace, for which I found the compass a little while earlier. The compass tracks how many chests I have left to open in here, which makes the utility of the compass in a Key-sanity run a little better than
    Here I am in the Eastern Palace, for which I found the compass a little while earlier. The compass tracks how many chests I have left to open in here, which makes the utility of the compass in a Key-sanity run a little better than "minimal".
    I already grabbed the first Heart Container elsewhere (forgot to screengrab it, sorry), but here's a second one to keep me alive longer. A little note about Key-sanity dungeons: because all the dungeon items have been scattered to the four winds, there's a greater than average chance of valuable items in dungeons. In the past, a dungeon might have two or three chests with global randomizer pool items - heart containers, stuff like swords or the Moon Pearl, etc. - and the rest would be dedicated to keys, compasses, maps, and so forth. As it is, it's entirely possible every chest down here has something valuable for the rest of the run.
    I already grabbed the first Heart Container elsewhere (forgot to screengrab it, sorry), but here's a second one to keep me alive longer. A little note about Key-sanity dungeons: because all the dungeon items have been scattered to the four winds, there's a greater than average chance of valuable items in dungeons. In the past, a dungeon might have two or three chests with global randomizer pool items - heart containers, stuff like swords or the Moon Pearl, etc. - and the rest would be dedicated to keys, compasses, maps, and so forth. As it is, it's entirely possible every chest down here has something valuable for the rest of the run.
    Like the Mushroom, for instance. Not that the Mushroom has a whole lot of applications beyond
    Like the Mushroom, for instance. Not that the Mushroom has a whole lot of applications beyond "give it to the witch for a random item," but it's neat we got it so early here when it was the last item of the Garflink run.
    Boom. A heart container, the Mushroom, and the Book of Mudora from just the first few rooms of the Eastern Palace. There's only so far I can get in here without a Lantern or the Bow, but I'd say this brief visit was worth it. To the Desert Palace! And something that can actually damage bosses!
    Boom. A heart container, the Mushroom, and the Book of Mudora from just the first few rooms of the Eastern Palace. There's only so far I can get in here without a Lantern or the Bow, but I'd say this brief visit was worth it. To the Desert Palace! And something that can actually damage bosses!
    My reward for the Mushroom. Gotta say, with the Moon Pearl in my possession, this run's starting to feel a lot less doomed.
    My reward for the Mushroom. Gotta say, with the Moon Pearl in my possession, this run's starting to feel a lot less doomed.
    Not that the sick kid is helping much. Thanks for giving me your arrow collection little guy. Look forward to the day when I fire them through all your windows.
    Not that the sick kid is helping much. Thanks for giving me your arrow collection little guy. Look forward to the day when I fire them through all your windows.
    Since I'm in the area, I completed the obstacle course - which you don't even need a sword to beat in the required time - for another Dark Palace key. Well, I might be heading there sooner rather than later after getting the Moon Pearl.
    Since I'm in the area, I completed the obstacle course - which you don't even need a sword to beat in the required time - for another Dark Palace key. Well, I might be heading there sooner rather than later after getting the Moon Pearl.
    Man, I'd forgotten about this weird praying scene to get into the Desert Palace. If you recall, I never needed to do this in the Garflink run.
    Man, I'd forgotten about this weird praying scene to get into the Desert Palace. If you recall, I never needed to do this in the Garflink run.
    Well, that's a stroke of good luck. I still can't hurt anything, but at least enemies will have a harder time hurting me.
    Well, that's a stroke of good luck. I still can't hurt anything, but at least enemies will have a harder time hurting me.
    Hey! It's our first map! I wonder which dungeon it-
    Hey! It's our first map! I wonder which dungeon it-
    -oh fuck everything.
    -oh fuck everything.
    I'd need the Pegasus Boots to get this incredibly valuable and run-critical 20 rupees. I'll be right back, Mr. Eyeball. No, I'm not being sarcastic.
    I'd need the Pegasus Boots to get this incredibly valuable and run-critical 20 rupees. I'll be right back, Mr. Eyeball. No, I'm not being sarcastic.
    Well, can't get any further this way, not without the Lantern and/or killing this guy whose only weakness is the Bow. However...
    Well, can't get any further this way, not without the Lantern and/or killing this guy whose only weakness is the Bow. However...
    ... I didn't go to the Desert palace to complete it. I came for this bad boy. The Hammer is finally mine - a weapon that will prove invaluable in the battles to come.
    ... I didn't go to the Desert palace to complete it. I came for this bad boy. The Hammer is finally mine - a weapon that will prove invaluable in the battles to come.
    Which means I can leave this playthrough on a high note - with the Moon Pearl, the Hookshot, and the Hammer, I can now explore most of the Dark World and avail myself of its bounties. There'll be struggles aplenty ahead, but this feels about as optimistic a stopping point as I'm likely to find.
    Which means I can leave this playthrough on a high note - with the Moon Pearl, the Hookshot, and the Hammer, I can now explore most of the Dark World and avail myself of its bounties. There'll be struggles aplenty ahead, but this feels about as optimistic a stopping point as I'm likely to find.

That is the Key-sanity run in a rather large nutshell. It's a hassle and a hoff to keep track of all those compasses, maps, keys and whatnot, but I was at least fortunate enough to find enough items to keep me in the figurative and literal game. I know where I can get a sword if I ever find the Flippers, and I'm free to at least enter the Dark Palace and Thieves' Town for anything people may have left in the entryway. Umbrellas and coats, mostly.

I might stick with this, but I dunno if y'all are going to be entertained by a hundred screenshots of me acquiring keys and then loudly cussing, so I might just do a round-up way later or move onto something else entirely for my alternative Tuesday blogging slot. I do want to check out a few other SNES game randomizers - some of which feel more thought-out than others, like that bizarre Super Metroid/A Link to the Past crossover game Dan was talking about on the Beastcast - so maybe I can make exploring those a series for a while. It's odd; while I'm not a particularly big fan of roguelikes, the way that procedural generation has been retrofitted into these older pre-determined games has filled them with new life. I'm curious to see if any other games have benefited as much as A Link to the Past has; a game, I should hasten to add, that was already fantastic on its own merits prior to this treatment.

At any rate, I believe that's the end of this particular feature. Thanks once again everyone who was curious enough to follow Garflink and Yunica's travails through Random Hyrule ("Ye Hurl"? "Helury"?) and I hope this and its recent appearances elsewhere - GBEast's "The Zelda Scramble", the AGDC speedrun race from January, friend of the site's @zandravandra's double-play stream for charity - are enough to encourage you to try it yourselves. It's apparently been catching on; the folks in the Zelda Scramble chat seemed fairly proficient with its rules and quirks. Proud of y'all.

But, uh, maybe stay well enough away from Key-sanity - it's no picnic.

Episode I: Lasagna Kitten: The Fell Depth Oozed
    Episode II: Pasta Fiend Tale: Hell-Zonked Ghetto
    Episode III: Lazed Feline Goal: Pet the Dank Thots!
    Episode IV: Odie the Dog: Last Theft? Kennel Plaza!
    Episode V: Egad!, PhD: Little Fez Hat on a Skeleton
    Episode VI: To Fat Knight Zone: Help Delete Salad
    Episode VII: Please, God, No: The Zealand Kilt Theft
    Episode VIII: TalkFleet: An Elephant-Sized Hotdog
    Episode IX: The Fattened Ilk: A Gonzo Death Spell
    Episode X: Old Hazing Poll: Taste the Naked Feet
    Episode Ys: Fleshpot Glitz: Needed a Tenth Koala <- You Are Here

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By generic_username

This variation looks terrifying. I applaud you for your courage, Mento.

Also, I started a fresh run of randomizer the other day. It has been close to a week since I've touched it though, which might be long enough to forget what I've already done and what I haven't, so I may just start another fresh one again anyway.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Oh boy, this seems like a damn nightmare.

I will shamefully admit to never finishing A Link to the Past, and the amount of recent excitement surrounding the randomizer makes me want to give it another go. If they made an Ocarina of Time randomizer I think I'd be all over that, though I think that might require a lot more work to get it to the level of polish this LttP one seems to have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.