Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

story makes absolutely no sense if you dont play first game

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Animasta

@SturmMajere said:

lol, i love no one actually talking about the fact that the journal is absolute shit, quest handling aside. "Has section called glossary. Nothing in it." its like the beginning of a meme.

but no, please, keep insulting me this is good stuff, and a great use of bandwidth.

the journal actually literally explains what's up with the scoia'tael btw, go check on Iorveth's page and read the whole thing.

or maybe you could tell me that I'm an idiot despite not responding to my post where I said where they explain who the scoia'tael are. that works too!

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SturmMajere

@SirOptimusPrime: what in the name of all things holy the fuck are you talking about? who the fuck is ryan davis?

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Well, there it is.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@SirOptimusPrime: Ya, but the glossary has nothing in it, so therefore the entire game is crap! Also, what is social skills?

@SturmMajere said:

@SirOptimusPrime: what in the name of all things holy the fuck are you talking about? who the fuck is ryan davis?

lmao, are you fucking kidding?

this is amazing, no go on, please

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SturmMajere

@RollingZeppelin: hahaha another fucking moron over here. nowhere did i say the game is crap. nowhere. and i don't know what social skills you're talking about, if you mean typing in a videogame forum about a videogame then you need to get out more, bud, and stop wasting your time coming up with barely-witty one-liner responses for your "social life" in forums.

to you sir, i just sigh.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Bocam

Does the other love interest (I forgot her name, all I remember is that she has an annoying old lady in her house) from the 1st game ever show up in the 2nd?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp. OP confirmed for troll I guess?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Animasta

@Bocam said:

Does the other love interest (I forgot her name, all I remember is that she has an annoying old lady in her house) from the 1st game every show up in the 2nd?

nah, its one of the more annoying things about witcher 2

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SturmMajere

@Bocam: does this really seem like the right board to be asking this on?

but no, for real, WHO THE FUCK IS RYAN DAVIS. maybe that's why i don't get the story of this game, cause i'm not in the cult of "ryan davis" where everyone knows who the fuck "ryan davis" is. good times.

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@RollingZeppelin: I'll just leave this here

No Caption Provided
    artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Hey big guy, maybe games with words in them just aren't your thing?

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@SturmMajere said:

@RollingZeppelin: hahaha another fucking moron over here. nowhere did i say the game is crap. nowhere. and i don't know what social skills you're talking about, if you mean typing in a videogame forum about a videogame then you need to get out more, bud, and stop wasting your time coming up with barely-witty one-liner responses for your "social life" in forums.

to you sir, i just sigh.

Trust me, you'll never know about the social skills I'm talking about. Give me more of your hatred, I feed off it! Tell me more of the short comings of this game that everyone loves but you.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#63  Edited By Castiel

@SturmMajere said:

does it not strike you guys as odd that in order to understand what's going on, that i have to keep my laptop open to some wiki while i'm playing? does that not seem like an oversight to you people?

No not really. It is called The Witcher 2 after all, so it is fair for the developers to expect people to have played the first game and already be familiar with the world. Sure they could have included a summary of the first game of some kind, but when you buy any game with a number at then end of the title, you should not expect them too explain what happened previously.

Now I know that's not the case and you feel mislead by what you were told on the podcast, and that's too bad, but it's definitely not the games fault.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Animasta

@SturmMajere said:

but no, for real, WHO THE FUCK IS RYAN DAVIS. maybe that's why i don't get the story of this game, cause i'm not in the cult of "ryan davis" where everyone knows who the fuck "ryan davis" is. good times.

you figured it out

we're all in the cult of ryan davis

joiiiiiiiinnnnnnn uuuuuuuuuuuussssssssss

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Animasta

BLOCKED

that is just one of the tenants we follow in the cult of Ryan Davis, otherwise known as RTD.

dopplerganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By dopplerganger

dong, where is my ryan davis?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Animasta

I shall open one of my six mouths and sing the song to bring forth Ryan Davis for him to moderate the podcast at the end of the world

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@RollingZeppelin: I'll just leave this here

No Caption Provided

So good!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Bocam

@SturmMajere:Why do you care? Also unlike you I got my question answered.

@Animasta: That's disappointing, guess I gave her the kid for nothing.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#70  Edited By Claude
    @Animasta said:

@SturmMajere said:

you figured it out

we're all in the cult of ryan davis

joiiiiiiiinnnnnnn uuuuuuuuuuuussssssssss

No Caption Provided
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#71  Edited By Castiel

Also SturmMajere I'm not the best writer myself, but is it so difficult to start each new sentence with a capital letter?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By Turambar
    @SturmMajere said:

@xyzygy since i'm just dense, and need everything spelled out for me, what exactly should i have paid attention to, that would have let me know that scoiatell means squirrel? the game says that NOWHERE. really. what should i have paid attention to exactly?

From the looks of it, you need basic contextual reading lessons.  The game doesn't tell you squirrels mean scoiatel.  You figure it out through context and usage.  It's just like how you can tell that when someone in this game screams "get plowed", they're not talking about farm work.  Also there are sub titles.  How the hell are you confusing "In Vizima" with a medical illness?
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SturmMajere

oh you internet people and your internet memes! the fact that you know how to do that, let alone think it's funny tells me all i need to know about you.

the only thing i got from you putting those words over my profile picture is that you think Phil Lynott plays the witcher. and something about social skills. i dunno, i don't understand caveman speak.

can moderators please lock this fucking topic? this shit has gotten WAY off the rails, and i think i've done enough pot stirring for one day.

Special_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Special_K

But guys, the glossary is empty and the game never explains who Ronald Davies is!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Turambar
    @SturmMajere: You're actually serious that you don't know who Ryan Davis is?  You know, one of the editors of the site you're making rather absurd rants on at this very moment?  You're not exactly a first timer considering your post count, so if that's not evidence of a complete lack of attentiveness, I don't know what is.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By landon

This is fantastic, I'm laughing my ass off.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SturmMajere

@Castiel:

no, its not particularly difficult, i just don't really give a fuck, and neither should you. i'm typing for a bunch of gaming internetpeople, not a newspaper.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#78  Edited By Claude
    @SturmMajere: Have you figured out who Ryan Davis is yet?
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SturmMajere

@Turambar: i turn subtitles off. say in vizima out loud, with a cockney accent. it sounds like emphysema. when i figured it out i thought that was funny as hell.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SturmMajere

@Turambar: i assure you i had no idea who ryan davis was until you just said it. i don't know the names of most of the editors of websites i read, but thanks for actually telling me.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Turambar
    @SturmMajere said:

@Turambar: i turn subtitles off. say in vizima out loud, with a cockney accent. it sounds like emphysema. when i figured it out i thought that was funny as hell.

How you're confusing en- and in- sounds I will never know.  Not to mention, as usual, one of those words do not make any contextual sense.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By Marz

Racial tensions aren't from the first game, it's just a fact in the world.   It's sort of like the world we live, people are racist and elves took the brunt of profiling along with dwarves and it's just been that way even before the first game.    you don't really need to know that to enjoy the witcher 2's story and it sort of explains it on the way during chapter 1.  Also Scoia'tel, it's like Al Queda, you probably don't know what it means if you don't speak Arabic but you get the picture after it's mentioned a few times.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SturmMajere

@Turambar: aw man you must legitimately be deaf then. cause anyone with ears can tell you how a cockney accent saying "in" sounds remarkably like "en". no wonder you know so much about videogame site editors.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Animasta

Sorry if you didn't actually turn subs on EVEN AFTER experiencing this much confusion than maybe you just don't want to pay attention.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SturmMajere

@Animasta: stop making assumptions. you people are reaching so hard for new ways to tell me i don't know how to pay attention its actually laughable at this point.

i turned subtitles off after seeing they were on by default. turned them back on after having trouble with the cockney accents. saw they were actually saying "in vizima." had a good laugh. moved on with the game.

stop trying to make this minor part of my initial point into something WAY bigger than i said it was. it's silly.

dopplerganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By dopplerganger

@SturmMajere said:

@Animasta: stop making assumptions.

i turned subtitles off after seeing they were on by default. turned them back on after having trouble with the cockney accents. saw they were actually saing "in vizima." had a good laugh. moved on with the game.

stop trying to make this minor part of my initial point into something WAY bigger than i said it was. it's silly.

I agree. Let us get back to your cognitive disability.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Animasta

@SturmMajere said:

@Animasta: stop making assumptions. you people are reaching so hard for new ways to tell me i don't know how to pay attention its actually laughable at this point.

i turned subtitles off after seeing they were on by default. turned them back on after having trouble with the cockney accents. saw they were actually saying "in vizima." had a good laugh. moved on with the game.

everyone, including people for whom have never played witcher 1 or read any of the books, has said that they followed it. Maybe not perfectly, but they've followed it. Doesn't the thought strike you that it's not the game's problem, but yours?

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SturmMajere

@dopplerganger: that's cute. almost funny. approaching funny, but not quite. cute though.

dopplerganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By dopplerganger

@SturmMajere said:

@dopplerganger: that's cute. almost funny. approaching funny, but not quite. cute though.

I was being serious. You are really dumb. Even if you are trolling you picked the worst fake thing to gripe about.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By TentPole

@SturmMajere said:

In middle school we were talking about controversies and I could not for the life of me figure out what anyone could find so controversial about "youth in asia".

That however was years ago and I do not use it to say my teacher was bad at conveying information. It was all on me.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#91  Edited By pr1mus

People should not play massive RPGs expecting to know every single details. You just aren't supposed to. This is a big world. You are playing a character much older than you who has spent his entire life in this world and you just happen to be there at this time for the ride. Obviously he's going to know more about this world than you. It's just like real life, it's amazing like that.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Turambar
    @SturmMajere said:

@Turambar: aw man you must legitimately be deaf then. cause anyone with ears can tell you how a cockney accent saying "in" sounds remarkably like "en". no wonder you know so much about videogame site editors.

How do those two things link together in any logical fashion?
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SturmMajere

@TentPole: ugh. idiot.

i didn't say the game is poor at conveying information because i couldn't understand the accent. i fucking said the game is poor at conveying information, and hey funny anecdote, i also happen to have misheard in visima as emphysema. it's that fucking simple.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SturmMajere

@dopplerganger: well that's nice, chief.

anything else? any other witty videogame forum one-liners?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TentPole

@SturmMajere said:

lol you people are really idiots. get your head out your ass for 2 seconds and stop blindly defending this game.

it does a poor job of explaining what the fuck is going on. period.

i'm through here.

Is it too much to ask for some follow through?

You are just being cruel teasing us with this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Hunkulese

@SturmMajere: By reading a couple of you posts it kind of just sounds like you don't pay attention to what's being said.

The main thing that ties the two games together isn't even really a part of the first game. It's a cut-scene after the game is over.

Everything else you've mentioned is explained by listening to what's going on or talking to people. This is the same way the information was presented in the first game so even if you had played it you probably wouldn't have any idea what was going on anyway.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By TentPole

@SturmMajere said:

i didn't say the game is poor at conveying information because i couldn't understand the accent. i fucking said the game is poor at conveying information, and hey funny anecdote, i also happen to have misheard in visima as emphysema. it's that fucking simple.

Mine was funnier.

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Turambar: That requires 4th grade reading skills (seriously, I've taught 4th graders basic concepts of context easier than this guy), so don't be expecting much from that. It's been 2 pages of that, he is a troll.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@dopplerganger: Ya, nice one-liner, forum internet-person guy. Don't you know that games shouldn't involve thought, or insight?

dopplerganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By dopplerganger

@SturmMajere said:

Oh shit! sorry we have been completely missing your point. This game is bad at conveying information. That is your opinion. Some people enjoy trying to figure out things.

Knowledge is power. This post brought to you by reading.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.