Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Corrupt data and PS4 disc drive grinding

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Anyone have a problem with the PS4 disc drive making a grinding sound after patching this with the disc in the drive? I have had no trouble like this before with any other game, and I'm worried it's going to wreck my PS4, so I'm going to contact their support and probably send the game back.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2 FinalDasa  Moderator

Grinding how? My PS4 disc drive was making noises and even refused to eject a disc and now doesn't work at all.

$150 to fix it so hopefully your problem isn't the same as mine.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: It sounded like a grindy hiccup. I tested Borderlands in it later and it ran silky smooth, so ai don't know. I think I'm going to try replacing the disc and seeing if that works, unless they get ahold of me tomorrow with a better solution.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Mine does something that sounds similar: a loud sound like it's spooling up and then it stops. I had honestly hoped it was simply the game reading some info off the disc but now I'm not sure. Seems to run fine though otherwise. Let us know what they tell you. Now you've got me worried about it!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@neozeon: They never got back to me, but after reading through their forums, it looked like the only surefire solution was to replace the disc, so I sent it in for an exchange today. I'll update this next week when I get a new copy. Hopefully that fixes things.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NTM

@neozeon: If you're just talking about how it makes a loud noise as it does most games when you insert, and then after a while quiets down as it loads, most games do that, but yeah, this game (like some others as well actually), starts back up. I think it is loading data or something. I think it's because the game during roaming of environment has no loading. An issue I run into is that the game during cutscenes can blur, and then load for a few seconds in between things that happen. One time, when I was doing a side mission, every time a sentence was read from a character, the screen would blacken and load. I have the feeling these things are the reason for it making the sound.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: This had a ton of other problems going for it. The game won't load past the second FMV - at all. Half the time, even getting it that far was a nightmare. It would skip, stutter, the drive would hiccup and grind (and not in the normal loud way - there was an actual metallic skipping noise like you might hear with a shitty burned CD mix back in the late nineties on a crappy stereo system on back roads), and usually just stop completely and dump me out to the PS4 main screen with an error that the data had been corrupted or the disc couldn't be read.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the drive works on other games, it may be ok. Otherwise the drive is failing, and youre screwed. Could be a bad sector on the disk, scratch...Something like that were it is trying to read a section over and over again.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By gaminghooligan

Just to add my two cents here Sparky. The PS4 disc drives can be garbage, I say this from experience. I bought my PS4 brand new in May of last year. In February the system stopped taking discs (they would sit half way in the slot and there would be a pretty loud popping sound). So I called, still under warranty, and they told me they would send me a refurb to replace the defective PS4. No problem. Well a few weeks later they sent me a refurb that worked fine for all of three days before it started scratching the discs (similar to the issues people had with the 360 if moved while playing) and I called them again. Keep in mind the system was sitting on a solid surface and hadn't been moved at all since I took it out of the box. Finally they sent me a third system which hasn't had any issues so far.

TLDR: I'm on my third PS4 all because of disc drive problems, I buy most of my games digitally now, even though my internet is the worst. I hope it's just the disc, because Sony support can be a real nightmare.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Yeah that is what mine would do: "spool up" during gameplay, more or less and then get quiet again I mean. I don't have the instances you're describing but I do get the "Unreal Engine" action of watching textures just sort of appear after a certain amount of time during a cutscene.

@sparky_buzzsaw: I know you sent it in already but Xbox One players are saying that some of their problems can be fixed by clearing the HDD cache. I think Alex mentioned it during their quick look actually... Not sure if there is a way to do it on the PS4 but it might be worth a shot while you're waiting around.

Sorry you folks had to go through this; it really is a great game and hopefully these are just minor bugs messing with us.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

It shouldn't be spinning the disc outside of the initial license check should it?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hey another post from me. The save corruption bug effects the PS4, I just lost my save after a never ending load screen, I was told to clear my cache to prevent further issues. I guess all I can do on that front is to power down the system and turn it back on.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got my replacement game today and it's running smoothly. No revving or grinding, and the FMVs loaded without a hitch.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A software patch cannot make your playstation have a physical reaction and start "grinding" a disc. A more likely scenario is someone in your household started moving the playstation around when it was spinning a disc or they knocked it around/dropped it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A software patch cannot make your playstation have a physical reaction and start "grinding" a disc. A more likely scenario is someone in your household started moving the playstation around when it was spinning a disc or they knocked it around/dropped it.

Got my replacement game today and it's running smoothly. No revving or grinding, and the FMVs loaded without a hitch.

I'm not going to argue the point with you here, but the replacement disc has had none of the problems that the original disc had. Whatever you choose to believe, it fixed the problem.

FieryFeary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FieryFeary

I have got a similar problem where the disc grinds but it runs until it gets to the main menu and then a messsage saying 'cannot continue using application.

The data for the following application is corrupted. Delete the application from the PS4 and then insert the disc again.' I have done this several times but it still pops up

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.