Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

Console Port Of The Witcher Put On Hold

• 60 results
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

Edited By snide
    The Witcher would have been a nice addition to the PS3 lineup.
    Though it was rumored earlier in the week, a press release today from Widescreen Game's finally put the nail in the coffin for the PS3 and X360 port of The Witcher known as The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf. Being a massive fan of the PC game this is saddening news as The Witcher could have brought some much needed RPG goodness to both systems. Reasoning for suspension seem to be financial in nature. Here's a quote:
    “The development of the game “The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf” has been suspended in an attempt to resolve financial problems among the various project partners.

The good news is that developer CDProjekt is still rumored to be working on a true seqeul to the game and I'm guessing all the hard work of this code port might help that game go multi-platform. Let's hope that is indeed the case as the RPG market for games this year looks unusually slim. Although the original Witcher wasn't a huge seller and shipped with some early bugs, the re-released Extended Edition package that came out last year is high quality stuff. I highly recommend checking it out if you have any interest in the genre or in games with deep stories. 
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide
    Though it was rumored earlier in the week, a press release today from Widescreen Game's finally put the nail in the coffin for the PS3 and X360 port of The Witcher known as The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf. Being a massive fan of the PC game this is saddening news as The Witcher could have brought some much needed RPG goodness to both systems. Reasoning for suspension seem to be financial in nature. Here's a quote:
    “The development of the game “The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf” has been suspended in an attempt to resolve financial problems among the various project partners.

The good news is that developer CDProjekt is still rumored to be working on a true seqeul to the game and I'm guessing all the hard work of this code port might help that game go multi-platform. Let's hope that is indeed the case as the RPG market for games this year looks unusually slim. Although the original Witcher wasn't a huge seller and shipped with some early bugs, the re-released Extended Edition package that came out last year is high quality stuff. I highly recommend checking it out if you have any interest in the genre or in games with deep stories. 
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gmanall

I just hate it when games get canned, no matter how bad they were are it takes a part of my heart.

TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By TheClap

Another loss to economic troubles

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By MeatSim

That sucks I was looking forward to playing this game once it got to consoles since my PC is too old to run anything these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Damn I was looking forward to this, I guess I'll have to go get the PC version.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

Damn it, I guess I just have to go and get the PC version and install it on my laptop.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gmanall
    CitizenKane said:
    "Damn it, I guess I just have to go and get the PC version and install it on my laptop."
    That is if it can run on laptops
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Death_Burnout

Hmm...i've yet to even play The Witcher on the PC...i guess i should suck it up and get it regardless if it does things i don't like.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By atejas

That's a shame, The Witcher was an amazing game and CDProjekt Red seems to be one of the developers left who gives a shit about their games.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By shades846

maybe its because they would have to cut the game alot given the nudity in the PC version at least in the European version.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

There's not that much nudity at all, easily cutable. My guess is they just weren't getting it right, it was going to have a new combat system and stuff, hard to go from a pc centric clickie clickie title to a compelling action based combat system. Oh well, maybe for the sequel. I'll get that on PC just like the original.

Oncomouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oncomouse

I understand times are tough right now, but I don't understand this move.  They must have spent enough money by this point to be almost past the point of no return.  If they cancel the game, all that dev money is flushed away.  If they spend a little more to get the product out the door, they will recoup their losses.  Wouldn't it make more sense to get a loan or something, tough it out, and release the product that will hopefully turn a profit?

morningthief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By morningthief

I saw the PC version of this at Goodwill for 8 bucks.... Shoulda bought it.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kazona

Shame. Hopefully the sequel will see a console version. Although to be completely honest, I rather see them make absolutely certain the PC version is as flawless as possible.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By atejas
    Al3xand3r said:
     Oh well, maybe for the sequel. I'll get that on PC just like the original."
    Confirmed?
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane
    Gmanall said:
    "CitizenKane said:
    "Damn it, I guess I just have to go and get the PC version and install it on my laptop."
    That is if it can run on laptops"
    I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM and a 256 MB ATI RADEON HD 3650.  I'm pretty sure I can run it.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Death_Unicorn

nnnnoooooooooooooooooooo0o0oooo...=(

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By KingOfIceland

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ughhh.... guess the PC's my only option now....

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By David

I loved the PC game as well and the console version would have been awesome too.
    It's great that they are still working on the sequel though.

To Dave:
    Just wanted to point out it looks like you spelt sequel wrong, I don't think anyone else mentioned it.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By dagas

Guess I should pick up the enhanced edition for the PC then before it's too late. Tried some of the original, but it just kept crashing and crashing and crashing so couldn't get past the first 15min of the game. They should have called the new edition "not as broken edition" instead because the first release was pretty much broken.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

The Witcher sold huge enough - over a million copies before the re-release iirc.  I doubt many other PC exclusives from the past couple of years can match that.

Do you think they'll still consider releasing Witcher 2 on consoles, given that 1 is now destined to remain PC exclusive?  I guess the ending of the first game was clean enough to make it possible at least.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By maxszy

A great game it was. Disappointment that it isn't coming to consoles as I mentioned yesterday. Though I the news about the sequel is new to me, which is still good!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

Jimbo, I think it's absolutely likely it will go to consoles, if it even gets a PC release. Keep in mind the first Fallouts didn't see a console release, nor did the first Bad Company see a PC one.

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pinkshley1

: ( 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

If it even gets a PC release? Uh, where does that come from, exactly? All their money come from PC so far, why would they suddently ditch it? They've been in the space for many years, they're the guys behind most of the european translations of RPG staples like Baldur's Gate, they're the guys behind Good Old Games. What evidence do you have that they would make the sequel to a PC game console only?

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gmanall
    CitizenKane said:
    "Gmanall said:
    "CitizenKane said:
    I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM and a 256 MB ATI RADEON HD 3650.  I'm pretty sure I can run it."
    Yup I think you can. I have a Celeron M, 512MB RAM and a interlarded 200X ATI RADEON and I am sad
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

Lol. Nice non-sequitur. I meant if it gets release at all, smarty pants.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well it sounded wrong >_>

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By logson

This is a serious bummer.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo

Mmm true, but I imagine The Witcher 2 will rely far more heavily on direct story continuation from it's prequel than either Fallout 3 or BC2.  You're probably right though - PC exclusives don't make much sense anymore.

I just can't see it selling that well to console gamers anyway, but especially if they have no way of playing the original.  I hope I'm wrong though because CDProjekt deserve to be successful.  It would be pretty epic if they take the work on 'Rise' and roll it into The Witcher 2 - Dark Athena styley.  Unlikely, but awesome nonetheless.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah you're wrong. Pc exclusives make at least as much sense as console exclusives, for various different reasons, hence why companies like Stardock flourish. You'll be able to play the sequel just fine on console even without access to the "original" since even that was far from being the Witcher's first tale. References to past deeds and situations only make the world feel more complete and real, even if you weren't there to experience them the first time, or don't know exactly what is being discussed. Many games, RPGs or not, use it to good effect. For example most people first played Metal Gear Solid but it references past Metal Gear games heavily.  The story will most likely be quite stand alone anyway, as is the first game, despite The Witcher's long past via the book series.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Captain_Fookup

I hope it's a delay and not completely canned, really looking forward to this game since my Macbook isn't capable of running this at decent FPS.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Kiemoe

That seems like it would be really weird if the sequel came to consoles when the original didn't

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo

"Pc exclusives make as much sense as console exclusives, for various different reasons."

And none of them financial.  How many noteworthy (non-MMO) PC exclusives do we currently have in the pipeline? 

I agree you'll be able to play it without playing The Witcher, but I think it will still be enough to put a lot of console gamers off.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By REDRUN

is its because of the bewbs and sex would make news or a bigger controversy than GTA would today? I thought the sences in the witcher is pretty tastefully done. Plus the artwork is amazing. I am bummed that its not making a console release.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Jimbo said:
    "And none of them financial.  How many noteworthy (non-MMO) PC exclusives do we currently have in the pipeline?"
    Ugh. I can't make a list dude. I could fill the whole friggin page and I'd just barely scratch the surface. You're clearly not heavy into PC gaming if you think it's going to be hard to find notable titles to list. For the record I wasn't advocating exclusivity, I was simply saying the facts. There are plenty of companies that flourish with PC only development, therefor it's clearly a viable path, for a number of reasons, and yes, often times they're financial reasons. The PC tends to cover many niche genres that wouldn't succeed on consoles, or are near impossible on them with the current control methods, but there's still more than just that side of PC development.

Here, I found this blog, it seems decent enough despite lacking many titles or including some that have been cancelled or gone multi platform. 2009. 2010. It doesn't only list the titles that will 100% be grand, but there are plenty of those still, and we weren't discussing quality anyway. MMOGs do count, tyvm. They'll certainly be just as important as any genre for 1st parties, once they start being made for consoles.

Jimbo said:
    "I agree you'll be able to play it without playing The Witcher, but I think it will still be enough to put a lot of console gamers off."
    I doubt they'll put a "2" in the title or anything of the sort so it should be fine. It'll make no difference to most. After all, they probably never even heard of the game, or have forgotten of it by now from when (or if) they saw the news of the then upcoming console port.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Media_Master

O well.....whats next?

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

oh no, i was really looking forward to this! sadness

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By Cerza
    CitizenKane said:
    "Gmanall said:
    "CitizenKane said:
    I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM and a 256 MB ATI RADEON HD 3650.  I'm pretty sure I can run it."
    Hey you got the same laptop as me! :)

Oh, and yes you can run The Witcher on it. I played through it on my laptop without a problem.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JJOR64

This makes me sad.  I heard great things about the PC version and wanted to get the 360 when it came out.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jimbo

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, just trying to figure out CDProjekt's likely game plan here.  The reason I said non-MMO is because it implies a totally different business model, one which isn't relevant to what CDProjekt should/will do.  The same applies to games that are essentially prohibited from console by their control scheme and tiny budget / indie games etc.  Sorry, I should have made it clearer that I meant 'PC exclusives in some way comparable to the game we are all discussing.'

Most devs/publishers working on 'big' projects (say potential million+ sellers) have decided that if they can get it on to console then they should.  The traditional big PC developers are running to multi-platform models as fast as they can, prioritising the console version in a lot of cases - even Crytek aren't going to watch their next project limp to a million sales on PC.

In short, I expect The Witcher Sequel to be multi-platform and I expect it's console sales to be significantly undercut by this cancellation.  What do you think?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Al3xand3r

I expect the sequel is multi platform since they showed interest in console support, but isn't likely to be a multi million seller on any system, or perhaps all together, if it still retains the original's qualities. It's not a mass market title even with the changes they would do for the port.

For your other PC stuff, I'll just direct you to the links of my last post. It's a separate argument really,but I think those are enough to show you're wrong when you're talking about "most developers" and as for multi millions of sales and "big projects" the latter is subjective and the former not necessary for success. It's good they don't all move to such projects or we'd only be having Gears of War and GTA clones or something. The PC gaming industry is thriving in many ways. Fact. Narrowing it down to a particular type of production to say those particular projects are moving to consoles (though it tends to be ALSO on consoles, so not leaving the PC) doesn't change that.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By RHCPfan24

That sucks. I was looking forward to this. Maybe I should buy it on PC anyway.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rio

They stated that the project was put on hold because Widescreen Games could not meet the schedule deadlines set in place by CD Projekt Red, and because the deadlines were not met CD Projekt Red would not make payments to them until they hit the schedule marks.  So basically Widescreen got to the point where they couldnt continue the project because of late payments. 

Its hard to say who you could blame here.  It could be that Widescreen dropped the ball with its work schedule and screwed itself over, or it could be said that CD Projekt gave far too strict of a project schedule and their refusal to work out a refined payment plan killed the project.  In any case this really sucks.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Diamond
    Jimbo said:
    I just can't see it selling that well to console gamers anyway, but especially if they have no way of playing the original.  I hope I'm wrong though because CDProjekt deserve to be successful.  It would be pretty epic if they take the work on 'Rise' and roll it into The Witcher 2 - Dark Athena styley.  Unlikely, but awesome nonetheless."
    Fable 2 and TWO WORLDS (shitty ass two worlds...) sold tons on 360.  The console WRPG market is much bigger than the PC WRPG market now.

I heard on NeoGAF someone saying about how they heard Witcher 1 didn't manage to make a profit on PC despite the good sales.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Al3xand3r

Great source for The Witcher's profits... Why wouldn't they proceed with this port to make the money then? Surely going on without money even longer, until the completion of the sequel, is the worse choice :S

As for the WRPG market, I'd say that's not true, and only appears true because they make consolised WRPGs and little else, pissing off many PC users as it really sucks when a game you play on PC feels like a port with unfitting design choices, especially to the interface.

How much profit has NWN 2's success generated so far for Bio? The game was out in 2006 and isn't showing signs of slowing down, they keep making expansions, and just announced moving to digitally distributed expansions instead of finally halting support. I'd say that's a profound success story, enough to prove those statements wrong.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Stevokenevo

I have the pc version and its great.  Still one of those games i bought last year and havent completed yet  0_o

A console version would have been great for everyone not interested in pc gaming.

Avatar image for goforth_and_die
    goforth_and_die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By goforth_and_die

they should get a bailout

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Great source for The Witcher's profits... Why wouldn't they proceed with this port to make the money then? Surely going on without money even longer, until the completion of the sequel, is the worse choice :SAs for the WRPG market, I'd say that's not true, and only appears true because they make consolised WRPGs and little else, pissing off many PC users as it really sucks when a game you play on PC feels like a port with unfitting design choices, especially to the interface.How much profit has NWN 2's success generated so far for Bio? The game was out in 2006 and isn't showing signs of slowing down, they keep making expansions, and just announced moving to digitally distributed expansions instead of finally halting support. I'd say that's a profound success story, enough to prove those statements wrong."
    They'd want to make a port because if Two Worlds can sell on 360, well, anything can.  I think 360 owners are actually frothing at the mouth for Tolkien-esque (or close enough) fantasy.  Hell one night a week or two ago in the middle of the night I heard my neighbors shouting about killing their wives for money, and then I realized they were talking about Fable 2...

I think you're wrong about PC gamers just wanting a different style of RPG than console gamers.  Sure PC gamers don't want a console-HUD with overscan positioning and Xbox 360 button prompts.  Both PC and console gamers want good games.  I just think the constant bitching about the state of games from some people is just those people in particular being dissatisfied types of people.

I don't think NWN2 was an especially big seller for Obsidian (not Bioware).  AFAIK it never charted on any PC NPD or European sales data.  Even if it sells at a steady rate those numbers can't be big.  One of the expansions sold well on Direct2Drive.  I don't think the game was very big budget, so you can have success that way.  I don't know what you mean by 'signs of slowing down' but they're probably making some profit on expansions.  Digital distribution is smart in cases where the overhead is so low.  However, Bioware had DD expansions for NWN1 (I know because I bought them).

A multiplatform sequel would probably bring them more money than just a console port of the first one, that's why they have canceled it or put it off.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jimbo

Bioware didn't develop or publish NWN2, so I don't know how much profit it will have generated for them.

You can see the trend in the long term development of that game though; they've gone from an Obsidian expansion which matched or exceeded the production quality of the OC, to an Obsidian expansion which cut way back on that stuff in favour of cheaper production, and now finally they are putting out an expansion they picked up from some modders or found lying about in the street or something.  Meanwhile, Obsidian and Bioware are off working on multiplatform titles, where the big money is in '09.  (Of course, Bioware are also going for the really big money in the form of The Old Republic.)

I wouldn't expect NWN3 to be PC exclusive, assuming there is one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.