Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

The Witness: How many have you solved? (NO SPOILERS)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Grinding to a slow halt. 74. I've ventured into some places I don't have the rule sets for and, on top of that, the game's making me motion sick. There's one I have the theory for but not the right perspective.

Folklorist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm 3.5 hours into the game, and am sitting at 98 +14.

Knowing that there are almost 700 puzzles to the game, and that the game is 20-40 hours for the main through-line, and 80+ to complete all of the puzzles, it has me a bit worried if all of the puzzles are this easy. That being said, the game is phenomenally put together, with a cohesion between puzzles and environment that I have never seen before in a game. I have experienced nothing but genuine enjoyment from this game, but I do hope that the puzzles get a bit harder as time goes on.

There is one thing that I have noticed, however, which is a possible puzzle that isn't actually a line puzzle.

On the edge of the sky, there are clouds that are in a line, all connected. There is a point in the sand dunes that you are on the shoreline and the reflection of these clouds line up perfectly with the clouds themselves to make what appears to be a waveform image. I have since taken a picture of it and am working to convert said image into a soundbyte.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By mathj

yeah, i picked it up today after successfully getting to 78 or something last night, and i have to say ive played about 2 more hours and have been stuck on 2 or 3 puzzles since then. im getting a bit worried the puzzles are too hard for me to figure out, and i dont wanna cheat so i feel stuck. also, every time i give up on one and move to another location, they are just as hard. i hope im intelligent enough to beat this damn thing.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By TwoLines

Okay, so now I'm up to 292 +6. I now understand what the "+" means.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@shindig said:

Grinding to a slow halt. 74. I've ventured into some places I don't have the rule sets for and, on top of that, the game's making me motion sick. There's one I have the theory for but not the right perspective.

If you are playing the PC version you can easily edit the game's config file and adjust your FOV. That should help with motion sickness. If you're on console then I'm afraid you're SOL.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458606877334931773/

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By bushpusherr

With 18 hours on my steam play time (which is more like 16 since I've idled a couple times), I'm currently at 393 + 57. I've got all the lasers but there are definitely still some loose ends on my plate that I want to wrap up before heading into the finale. I think i'll probably go for the 100%, I'm really digging this game.

As someone who has an education in graphics programming, I especially liked the RGB color puzzles on the top floor of one of the buildings in the center of town (the one that you have to clear the sound-proof room in the basement to unlock).

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By 49th

118 +0 after 3 hours. I keep making progress and then coming to something I have no idea how to solve, which happened like 3 times in a row. Also, these tetris blocks can fuck off. I hate them, and you can't even go back to look at the tutorial because you have to wait on a platform.

mrblobby64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6 hours in I'm at 218 +9. I've not been dwelling on puzzles I'm stuck on for too long and just moving around the place for what its worth. Also I think I've figured out what the + number is so that's something I guess. Really cool game so far

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By Nime

15 hours in, just finished all the primary zones. Sitting at 379 +46. Still lots of goodies left to hunt for, but I think I'll head to the final zone now.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By FrostyRyan

I got really frustrated earlier. I thought I understood the white and black square ones perfectly fine. You put the line in between the white and blacks, right? Apparently not because I found a door where I had to draw a long line between a bunch of blacks and it still worked? Also there's a door near the beginning with dots and white/black squares that just won't open. I'm putting the line between the squares and covering the dots but it won't open. I'm missing something about this type!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#111  Edited By golguin

I got really frustrated earlier. I thought I understood the white and black square ones perfectly fine. You put the line in between the white and blacks, right? Apparently not because I found a door where I had to draw a long line between a bunch of blacks and it still worked? Also there's a door near the beginning with dots and white/black squares that just won't open. I'm putting the line between the squares and covering the dots but it won't open. I'm missing something about this type!

Yes. There is a mindset I have when solving the white and black blocks and its different from what you described doing. I got through the door in the beginning with the dots and squares with my method.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: I'll just have to keep trying different methods and I guess take a look at those first few tutorial panels to see why they truly worked.

the rules for white and black squares don't CHANGE do they? Don't tell me the solution though

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sitting at 187 +14.

I'm 8 hours in but I'm also enjoying dilly-dallying and looking at the scenery.

I'm treating it as a "stop and smell the roses" type of game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm at 190 puzzles solved. This is game is like puzzle cocaine. So far the only areas I've completed are Bunker, Monastery, and Symmetry and MAN when I completed the last puzzle in Monastery I thought I was a fucking genius. It really is like you're trying to get into the designers head. When you complete a section and you get one of those panels that are just straight line its such a relief.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at 68, after about 90 minutes. I don't get the sense that it's unusual, I was averaging 1 a minute or so just wandering around. None of those puzzles seemed complicated. Then I got to the last in a series of outlning puzzles- there's a tree, a boulder, some bushes and sea. I've tried a few things but I can't actually figure out what I'm looking at. Tried some negative space stuff, tried it from behind, tried it with my glasses off. But nope. I'll probably wander around more and come back to it later.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#116  Edited By NeverGameOver

I started an hour ago and have finished 49. Have to put it down for the evening though because I'm exhausted. I'm intrigued but this game may end up being a slow burn for me because my brain is usually pretty tired after I get home from work. Tonight wasn't exactly an exception but I had to at least try it after hearing the bombcast today.

I'm enjoying it overall but it kind of drives me nuts when I figure out something that I consider challenging and my reward is either (a) more puzzles or (b) something that looks like it should be a hint at how to solve more puzzles except that I have no idea how to actually apply it.

Also, the movement is kind of making me motion sick :(

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By Joemotycki

@frostyryan: Jeff and Brad explain that concept pretty well in the quick look. Saying "You have to put a line in between black/white" isnt 100 percent correct. This isnt really a great game for trying to give hints so if you need a clearer hint I can give one.

In the mean time I can say that after Day #2 that I'm at 345 +12 with Symmetry, Bunker, Shady trees, Quarry, Treehouses, Marsh and Desert ruin completed.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm only at 62. After the tutorial (what was shown in the quick look), I roamed around for about half an hour and got kinda intimidated by it all, but then I went back to around where the opening section is and just started following a path and now I feel like I'm in a row, solving puzzles and opening doors is incredibly satisfying.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Came here to say this game is amazing. If I had unlimited money I would give a good chunk of it to Jon blow and his team so they can make an actual island in the style of the witness. I really hope they do psvr support at some point.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay finally got into the mountain. After not having too much trouble with this game in general, it really got fuck off hard real fast.

CapnThrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

141 +8. discovered all my +s on this (my second) session.

I'm only this deep and feel like i already understand exactly why this game was $40.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By StrawHat_NPC

275 +6. Done all of it today and only just realized what the +'s are so I will look for more tomorrow. I've done enough to go to the final area but have at least 2 areas I want to go back and finish up first.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

124. I spent a good while hovering around 100 and not really finding any areas to really sink into that I could understand. I found one tutorial area but I was just not understanding the panels and I left. I just found the start of another area before deciding to stop for the night.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

3 Zones down (out of 7?): 266 solved +20. 19 hours :o

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By golguin

I'm at 100+10. I feel like I've been going to some tough areas because I haven't done a single puzzle in the town square area. I just wander until I find a cool looking area and then decide to do the puzzles there. The result is that I've gone pretty far and I need to utilize the boat fast travel to get back to the starting area.

I'm going to stay closer to the starting area and fan out since the puzzles closer to the starting area felt easier. I've already encountered a set of puzzles in the tree house area that I would solve and think I understand the rules only to see I don't understand anything.

Will start again tomorrow. I also know what the + means. I knew from the moment I unlocked my first one. I was so startled at the initial discovery that I scared my girlfriend that's been solving with me.

sickthrads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

251 11hrs. no + sign on mine, no indication of what that might be~

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Nime

20 hours, 432 +57, first run done. Did all zones. Felt like I went through the game pretty quickly until I hit the last zone then it slowed to a crawl. Anyways now for the secretssssss!

This game was actually beyond godlike, I adored every minute of it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@nime said:

20 hours, 432 +57, first run done. Did all zones. Felt like I went through the game pretty quickly until I hit the last zone then it slowed to a crawl. Anyways now for the secretssssss!

This game was actually beyond godlike, I adored every minute of it.

Pretty much the same numbers for me. 18-19ish hours (I idled a bunch so not sure), 427 +45. Cleared all 11 zones/beams before heading into the Mountain. Have four puzzles left at what I assume to be the very end, after the timed door with the 360 degree puzzles on the cave pillars. Had to stop because I'm driving to San Antonio for PAX South tomorrow so I need to get some sleep. Definitely plan on trying to find the rest of the hex patterns for the video player as well as filling out all of monoliths once I get back.

I know it's only January, but I think my GOTY is probably already settled.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished (?) 398 +32, about 14 hours by Steam. I went to the ending once I had enough beams, but I poked around and solved puzzles from other areas too.

No idea what Brad was going on about during the bombcast (I might have misunderstood what he was implying)...I was thinking there'd be some super mega-puzzle at the end but there wasn't anything too annoying IMO. *Also* very much disagree that it's impossible to keep all the rules in your head...the various systems are all pretty manageable and the game does a great job at teaching / reinforcing them. I wonder if he over-complicated some of them?

This game is a masterpiece. Can't wait to find some secrets (and watch the last couple videos I collected).

251 11hrs. no + sign on mine, no indication of what that might be~

Once you get the first one, you'll definitely be trying to get more :) I have a feeling this is the "oh so cool" moment Jeff alluded to; it definitely was that for me.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoop. New ruleset figured. I'll go back to some of the earlier puzzles once I'm out of the hedge mazes.

Down to the last two in that area but I do not understand the rules.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea what my playtime is as I'm on PS4, but I'm at 255 +6. Just figured out the pluses earlier, blew my mind. I feel like I've played this game a long time, though. This thread makes me feel kinda dumb.

It's 2 in the morning. I should really sleep. Wish I had more time to spend on this. It's just the best.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: So the game doesn't end after you "finish" it? I had unlocked the mountain a while ago, but I've been afraid of going inside because I don't want to hit a point of no return where I can't go back and finish the puzzles I have left.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm at 191+19 now and have finally solved one of the puzzles I've been stuck on forever, just to of course now be stuck on the very next one. That tree house place is just brutal.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

352 +18. This freaking game is glorious.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm at 186 panels solved and three lasers activated. I'm not sure how many hours I've played, is there a way to check on PS4?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

5 Zones : 327 solved +22. 26 hours. I suppose I'm pretty slow; also, stubborn.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone confirm for me that there's no point of no return or anything at the end? I'm at the point where I can activate the camera at the top of the mountain, but I want to be able to easily go back and do other stuff around the island.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know how to see my number on PC as it just launches immediately? But my guess is around 50 or so. I feel like I hit a point that Brad mentioned on the Bombcast where there is now multiple areas that I can't even solve the first puzzle.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: So the game doesn't end after you "finish" it? I had unlocked the mountain a while ago, but I've been afraid of going inside because I don't want to hit a point of no return where I can't go back and finish the puzzles I have left.

Can anyone confirm for me that there's no point of no return or anything at the end? I'm at the point where I can activate the camera at the top of the mountain, but I want to be able to easily go back and do other stuff around the island.

I've read that the game just dumps you back to the menu/new game when you finish it, but that you can just reload a previous save. Not the most elegant solution, but it's there. Haven't been able to try it myself because I'm on my way out the door, so take it with a grain of salt until you can get a confirmed answer from someone who's done it.

@nickhead said:

I don't know how to see my number on PC as it just launches immediately? But my guess is around 50 or so. I feel like I hit a point that Brad mentioned on the Bombcast where there is now multiple areas that I can't even solve the first puzzle.

Just hit Load Game.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

120+15. I wandered for what felt like 45 minutes before I found a string of puzzles. Before that I'd face a hard puzzle and solve it only to open up a combo puzzle with shapes I did not understand. That happened 3 times.

It feels like progress is dependent on finding a string of puzzles and knocking them out. I kept running into one shots somehow and not finding those puzzle strings. I did manage to find quite a few + that I decided to leave for later because I didn't want to spend too much time on them even though I understood the mechanism by which to solve them.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Thanks. I guess I'll just try to do everything I can before I start the end until someone tells me otherwise.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 hours in and 219 solved.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

304 +41

The puzzles have all been satisfying so far.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#144  Edited By Sessh

About 12 hours or so in now and at 330+29 (8 lasers active), but now I'm at the sound ones and am hopelessly stuck. I'm terrible at distinguishing tonal differences. I hate those fucking birds.

It's the only place where I have any idea what the hell is going on though right now, so this sucks.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm at 146, I still only have one area solved. I keep going into an area and doing some of the puzzles, banging my head against it for a while then moving on. I'm really struggling with the game but I refuse to use a guide, but no matter how hard I try I can't figure out what the puzzles with the fan looking symbol and black dots mean. I want to cry.

I'm loving the game though.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickrockmann@alphasquid: about the end of the game and point of no return:

There is no real point of no return - you can go back out of the mountain at any time. Once you beat the game, it all starts over as a new file but a save is made right at the end before you hit the last trigger, so once you start the new game, just load that last save, walk back out of the mountain, and resume your bonus puzzle hunting.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at around 140 +4 after 6ish hours. I'd been having a hellish time with the tetromino stuff up until this morning. I understand what the puzzles are asking but I find it half way to impossible to properly visualize the solutions. I saw the picture with the cutouts on Brads twitter though and making some of my own has really, really helped. Generally speaking having a notebook open seems to be an absolute necessity. If the difficulty continues to ramp as it has been I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to make it to the end, but if Jon Blow wants to defeat me I'll be going down swinging.

The +'s are super fun. I actually got my first one almost as soon as I'd left the initial area but have been having trouble finding more.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

94. I solved one this morning by accident so I retraced it after work to figure out what was going on. Theory was right, execution was off. Then I solved the next on the first shot. Now in colour country. I've got two major ones to revisit I'm at the point where focusing on one area for hours just won't sit so I'm exploring more to get the puzzle count up.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By golguin

153+20 now.

One of the rules I figured out in an area just seems so crazy. My interpretation of the rule seems like nonsense and yet it allowed me to get through the area. I'm not even sure what to call the area, but there are rocks, a river, train tracks, and mounds of salt/dirt. Maybe it's a quarry.

The rule I came up with in that area is this: Isolate the green and one red to kill the ship. The colors and dots mix the rule up a bit, but it's still about isolation and using a thing to kill the ship. It sounds crazy, but it worked. Can anyone confirm or deny my thinking in that rule? Maybe a yes that's how it works or no that isn't how it works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.